• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

UMIDIGI A5 Pro

Petesky

Jun 17, 2008
I'm trying to root my device. Umidigi a5 pro global.

Whenever I try to root the phone, after anything involving the flash tool, I get this message on my phone.

"Your device has failed verification and may not work properly.
Please download boot image with correct signature or disable verified boot.
Your device will boot in 5 seconds."
What rooting guide did you use ? I've had a look at this one
https://unofficialtwrp.com/unofficial-twrp-3-2-1-root-umidigi-a5-pro/
I also had a look here in case I ever had to flash stock rom again
https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=18806&extra=page=1
Might be a bit extreme for your problem though

Reactions: Denkel

rcll

Oct 15, 2008
All the 4G Bands on this phone look great for ATT (Band 2/4/5/12/17/66).
I also have a Mi A2 Lite (Band 2/4/5) but get weak signal sometimes with ATT. Probably since doesn't have one of their main Bands 12/17 700Mhz.

Can anyone say how their cellular signal is on Umidigi A5 Pro? Do you get dropped calls or no network connection?

Is just the camera the big issue with this phone? Can GCam be flashed somehow to improve camera quality like on Mi A2 Lite?

Custom ROM like LineageOS would probably help a lot. Is there any ROM development?

Letitride

May 6, 2010
Metro NY/NE Region
@Petesky and @rico69310 - Thanks, very useful & helpful info and links on how to, down the road ... once Umidigi catch up with fixing all the bugs & issues with our device. Unless someone is comfortable & skilled in custom rom development, an unlocked bootloader & custom TWRP aren't going to be of much help at this point - just my 2 cents.

I can confirm that there is no rollback protection on Android 9, when flashing back to an older firmware - that's good, without bricking the hardware. The oversized 3G/4G icons on the status bar are annoying but I ain't looking at them all day - should be an easy fix or patch to disable or modify it, switched from Nova Laucher to Lawnchair Launcher to see if I can "hide" it.

@opeth72 - using AccuBattery, I am getting some wild results with SOT and also battery capacity, usually I can count on it but just not sure with the A5 Pro. (see below)

@Werminight - have you confirmed that your 2 sim cards are supported on A5 Pro's radio bands, that they are activated & works on other devices ? Check for proper APN settings/configurations ? Tried a reboot, put into/out of Airplane mode, do 1 sim at a time and/or full factory reset ?

@rcll - I moved my AT&T MNVO nano sim (FreedomPop) that only get 3G signal/icon on the Mi A2 Lite to the A5 Pro, but I am just getting 3G signal too - no problems with T-Mobile and/or Google Fi sims. No issues with VoIP & WiFi calls over AT&T or T-Mo, so far so good.

It's the damn camera/app - I just used one of the recent Google Camera app from APKMirror but it's a "no" go for me. Probably need to find one of the GCam that works on stock & unrooted devices to see whether ... If anyone else has success - please post specifics links & version/mods done and we can try it, see for ourselves.

Running YouTube Vanced on this and it's good, MX Player also fine playing mp4 videos - not impressed with the speaker quality or output (not surprised) - a decent pair of in-ear buds solved it for now. Bottomline, it's the highly "promoted" Sony 16MP triple camera "value" king - not as advertised ... newer updates not uploaded or posted on Umidigi's official site.

If someone is working on a custom rom - hasn't been posted or shared here, yet, that I can see ?

Last edited:

BackHandLegend

May 1, 2012
What rooting guide did you use ? I've had a look at this one
https://unofficialtwrp.com/unofficial-twrp-3-2-1-root-umidigi-a5-pro/
I also had a look here in case I ever had to flash stock rom again
https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=18806&extra=page=1
Might be a bit extreme for your problem though
I used a combination of guides to solve my issue/s... I'll write a guide later today of what I did in case anyone else gets the same errors. For the price and root? Great value of a phone.

Also, anyone else get adaway working?

Attachments

BackHandLegend

May 1, 2012
how do i mount system as rw?

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Hi all :D

Flasher, Disable_Dm-verity_ForceEncrypt_02.04.2019.zip and format the data (yes), the internal memory will be visible in the TWRP

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397887333

:good:
Whenever i flash this it tells me my device thinks its an S_3 not A_5 in the recovery.
After everything I also get cannot mount /storage

Pajorve

Jul 13, 2010
Osasco/SP
Link root method os broken.

Hello everyone

I root my UMIDIGI A5 Pro with this method, without TWRP, I of course unlock the bootloader before with minimal_adb_fastboot_v1.4.3.zip, under Windows 10 64Bits

root
https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=17376
Warning the phone has been reset
I lost the camera icon

Unlock bootloader
https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=18657&extra=page=1
Please ...link tutorial root is broken in page.
could fix the link and make it available?
Thanx.

bigboy_raymond

Nov 21, 2018
First, try this first as someone else suggested - Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Camera (Ver 1.1.60.030) > Clear Cache AND Clear Storage. Then, exit & reboot the A5 Pro. Repeat this again. Then, open the Camera App & see if it helped or now. Click to switch to "front camera" & back to check, also the "wide angle main camera" - it might take a second or two to open. *** Notice (on the earlier System firmware V1.2 - the Camera App was shown as Camcorder (Ver 1.1.60.30)
this worked!! thanks

another working camera app
OpenCamera

working TWRP
a5 pro_321+.zip from mediafire

Last edited:

phoenix_hsp

Jul 28, 2019
Hello @Letitride

I have the same problem that you report before

I update phone to the last version (UMIDIGI_A5_Pro.E_V1.3_20190716) and the back camera (main camera) doesn't work (wide angle and selfie camera are working right). It is appear with the black screen and nothing to do. I try to install a few differents cameras app (google camera, open camera, ... others from play store), but no works.

I try this:

First, try this first as someone else suggested - Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Camera (Ver 1.1.60.030) > Clear Cache AND Clear Storage. Then, exit & reboot the A5 Pro. Repeat this again. Then, open the Camera App & see if it helped or now. Click to switch to "front camera" & back to check, also the "wide angle main camera" - it might take a second or two to open. *** Notice (on the earlier System firmware V1.2 - the Camera App was shown as Camcorder (Ver 1.1.60.30)

But no works. I have the version of OTA (v1.3). Do you do works with this version or I need a version 1.2? I think it is a european version

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot

Letitride

May 6, 2010
Metro NY/NE Region
Hello @Letitride
I have the same problem that you report before
I update phone to the last version ... but no works. I try ...
I have the version of OTA (v1.3). Do you do works with this version or I need a version 1.2? I think it is a european version ... Thanks a lot
Well, good morning in the EU ?? Understood and did you also posted on their official support site, which is almost useless & getting spammed with trash & junk mail. I used the regular gobal/non UK one, but don't think it's any different.

First, let me make it clear - I still have problems with the rear/main triple camera sometimes, it barely works & open most of them, better luck if I launch with the wide angle camera. It still randomly freeze & can only open front camera, then switch. CameraMX and Open Camera, really not making any difference for me - still not sure whether it's software/app problems or hardware/built - or, could be both. I still have about 20+ days to open a dispute with AliExpress for a refund/return or credit, but it is going to cost $$ to return it and unlike dealing with Amazon customer service, don't have faith or trust with Umidigi to "do the right thing" and promptly deal with ... they are too busy marketing their products, not doing enough with after sales/tech support, i.e. not updating the Android Security patches, got our July 2019 updates on Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite & even Motorola Moto X4 already - still on May 2019 security patch with this A5 Pro !

Steps I took were outlined by Umidigi's tech support on their forum/site - in the global section (not in the EU section) which I am sure a good # of users are not seeing and/or know how and what to do. OK - when those tries or efforts failed, I follow the recommendations to download the fulll V1.2 rom (dated July 05) and installed USB drivers & SPFT onto a PC (Windows 10 Pro, 64-bits OS) and ran the usual "adb" checks in command prompts to verify that things are setup correctly, that Developer's Option is enabled & USB/debug mode enabled, etc.

Then, it was time to take 3 deep breaths & proceed to install (download) the scatter file & flash V1.2 rom onto my A5 Pro ... it will take about 10 to 15 minutes, be patient; and, wait for it to finish - check for error messages, if any (hopefully, all is good). Then, reboot - then, reconnect WiFi if necessary - and run the Wireless Update option from "Settings" and let it then update to the V1.3 OTA patch ... that's another 10 minutes of wait to finish.

Afterward, open/launch the Camera App to see (in V1.2 - the app is "Camcorder" on mine, as written/translated in English ... just badly written language). Hopefully, it will at least work a little bit for you. I just used mine again, and it almost freeze again on me, I tapped the wide angle option & it finally open & took another sample indoor picture - it's a usable image or picture, that's about it, not sharply focused and color/tone/clarity, etc. are pretty poor - not a typical 10 or 12 MP quality camera photo, let alone a so-called Sony triple camera 16MP as advertised. Picture attached - also, a Dropbox link of unedited wide angle front camera photo that I just took, see for yourself ... (image will be deleted after 90+ days)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0rpa6d2jg2x76c/IMG_20190728_095904_0.jpg?dl=0

Update #1 - ZSD settings on the stock Camera App (default is ON) - try turning it off and restart the camera, see if it help open the camera next time. It is Zero Shuttle Delay, or Digital Zooming - given how poorly this triple camera is working thus far, don't count on it or expect it work flawlessly. Turn it off to see, it won't hurt (me ... think.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jtizzle3264

Dec 4, 2012
Jefferson
So far so good with the camera for me. I've seen mixed results so not sure if some phones for some reason work better than others or what's the de, but I updated and did the steps with the camera app as others stated and my app opens fine and also takes pictures okay. Granted their still not perfect looking but good for a $99 phone. Just be patient and wait for umidigi to update the software some more. But the camera and phone works just fine for me! Hope to see some development soon on it!!!

mbgm8ndb

Mar 29, 2006
The phone keeps telling me that "System UI has stopped working" when you click ok the screen goes blank and you have to unlock the phone again.
It seems to always do it couple of times on reboot, and then a couple of times throughout the day.
I have tried a factory reset.
I have tried clearing Cache.

Anyone esle found this problem, or got any suggestions?

Reactions: gm_meloo

wcked

Jul 30, 2019
imei dial code

Hi to all. I have a question and will be very happy if you can help me. I have umidigi one pro and it is quite easy writing imei by dialing *#6813# code. Can anyone confirm if it works also with this phone? If not, is there a working code for this phone? Thanks in advance:)

wcked

Jul 30, 2019
imei dial code

Did you meant a quick lookup for the IMEI # for dual sim ?

Just dial *#06# with the "Phone" Dialer and the 15 digits will come up ...
No. This code (*#6813#) enables a menu where you can easily change imei #'s. There is a different code for Z2 pro but i don't know about the other umidigi models. If you just try it on your phone and tell me if it is working, that would be sufficient. Thanks again.

One pro also have focus related camera problems. Some users say turning screen off and on in video mode corrects this problem. Thought you might want to try.:)

Letitride

May 6, 2010
Metro NY/NE Region
*#06# does not work at all ... "invalid MMI code"

Tried the video screen off & on but "no, can't do either." I took 2 outdoor picture with decent sun light, one regular camera (main) and another with wide angle option - yellowish tone (see below) - UMI releasing another OTA/update/patch this weekend, let's see whether some of these fixes are going to stick or not. Try turning off ZSD, changing from 16:9 to 4:3 ratio, lower resolution at 8 MP instead of 12 or 16 ... the old saying, "if it is too good to be true, then it usually is ..."

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone