Umidigi Bison

Search This thread

kgoerbig

Jun 13, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Redmi Note 9
everything works with linage 18.1 but no gapps....

tried to install the 19 on a bison 2021 but cant make it boot

is there any custom recovery out there working?
What about the notorious GPS locking issue on the Bison. On stock, it can't keep lock using driving navigation. It will constantly change directions as you are driving because of the lock issues.. Does it experience the same issue on custom ROMs?

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
I no longer muck around with root and custom software. No time....
Now I have an Umidigi Bison (2020). I'm very happy with it.
However I purchased a wireless adapter from rcd330.com for connecting Android Auto. Unfortunately, it cannot make the required Bluetooth connection with my (2020) Bison. Though originally compatible with Apple Carplay only, the seller known to many as Ddren, did said that the device now also supported Android. In hindsight perhaps I should of been more specific. Because while the documentation says the device Android 9 or above, it goes on to say, some Android 11 or above.

So I'm guessing the (2020) Bison with Android 10 is one Android phone which needs Android 11 or above.

While I am often tempted and don't need much of a reason to buy a newer model, I'd like to investigate whether updating 2020 Bison to Android is possible and if so, how? As mentioned, no longer much interested in rooting or custom roms.

Anyone?

PS I should add that current and seemingly latest OTA update is shown in the attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-115137.png
    Screenshot_20220623-115137.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 11

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
so for my phone, as far as I know, it's Bison_1, the OG Bison with the P60 chip. Meanwhile, they added 2 new sections in the umidigi forums, for Bison 2021 edition (6GB and 8GB respectively). Going with the OG software for the longest time, no issues. This recent update to this device, issue. However, decided to grab the latest software for the 2021 edition 6GB version (same P60 chip).. flashed and installed with no issue. No red text overlay.

ANDROID 11!!!!
yeah. It's there. It works. I still have wonky wifi issues though. I don't know if it fixes for everyone else, believe me I tried the OTA update method (going to the earliest available for BISON_1) and it still fails with the red text overlay.

If you have a problem, you may have a device that takes the Bison 2021 edition of software.

Is it possible to update Umidigi Bison 2020 with Android 11 and if so, how?

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
What about the notorious GPS locking issue on the Bison. On stock, it can't keep lock using driving navigation. It will constantly change directions as you are driving because of the lock issues.. Does it experience the same issue on custom ROMs?

Oh yes! I only noticed this yesterday. Because since replacing the factory head unit in my VW with one which uses Android Auto, it's the first time I used Android for navigation.

I notice the maps giving ridiculous directions before eventually but too late in real time traffic, providing correct directions. Is this because of a issue with Bison specifically? If I need Android 11, maybe best buying a new Bison. Or is it an issue even with newer Bison models? Thank you

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
I ended up flashing through SP Flash Tool in linux, but yeah same deal. No OTA worked for me, I decided to give the 2021 rom a shot and it worked.

As mentioned earlier, it's been years since I mucked around with rooting and custom rooms. Not since Galaxy 4 I think. Anyhow any chance of a quick heads up on what might be involved to update 2020 Bison with Android 11 for 2021 Bison? I can't remember but suspect TWRP rooting and manual install might be necessary....

Edit: I see now that my signature shows what I was using when last active here: Samsung Galaxy 4 Duos. OMG

kgoerbig

Jun 13, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Redmi Note 9
Oh yes! I only noticed this yesterday. Because since replacing the factory head unit in my VW with one which uses Android Auto, it's the first time I used Android for navigation.

I notice the maps giving ridiculous directions before eventually but too late in real time traffic, providing correct directions. Is this because of a issue with Bison specifically? If I need Android 11, maybe best buying a new Bison. Or is it an issue even with newer Bison models? Thank you
I opened multiple tickets for the GPS issue with Banggood and Umidigi, only to have them closed. I did get some GPS stability by doing:

1.) ##8111## gets you to the factory test tool. Wireless > GPS Test

Offers multiple tools to reset agps, clear settings, and calibrate.

2.) Google Maps Offline. Downloading my state's map to my local storage improved accuracy greatly.

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
I did get some GPS stability by doing:

1.) ##8111## gets you to the factory test tool. Wireless > GPS Test

Offers multiple tools to reset agps, clear settings, and calibrate.

2.) Google Maps Offline. Downloading my state's map to my local storage improved accuracy greatly.

Read this earlier and tried it. Always got an error. However there's the app called Factory test does the same thing. Surprised you don't have the app? A lot makes no sense to e however did try AGPS restart. Did the same with the app GPS Test. Makes no difference.

I'll try navigating the same route as I did yesterday and was all over the place.

Otherwise it's upgrading to a new Bison. Probably the Bison 2 Pro but possibly, the GT2 Pro 5G. WiFi 6 which I already have at home and 5G when we get it. I just hope this Bison longer has the same GPS issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-132351.png
    Screenshot_20220624-132351.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220624-132627.png
    Screenshot_20220624-132627.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 5

kgoerbig

Jun 13, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Redmi Note 9
Read this earlier and tried it. Always got an error. However there's the app called Factory test does the same thing. Surprised you don't have the app? A lot makes no sense to e however did try AGPS restart. Did the same with the app GPS Test. Makes no difference.

I'll try navigating the same route as I did yesterday and was all over the place.

Otherwise it's upgrading to a new Bison. Probably the Bison 2 Pro but possibly, the GT2 Pro 5G. WiFi 6 which I already have at home and 5G when we get it. I just hope this Bison longer has the same GPS issue

Did you try downloading Google Offline Maps?

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

I didn't but I don't see how that would help? That increases processing map data. But seems to me the problem is when knowing where the car is in real time and in relation to the maps, And therein lies the issue at least for me, when the phone randomly loses the GPS signal, provides an inaccurate position and takes too long to establish an accurate fix.

In any case, eBay has had some awesome EOFY discounts in Australia so I bought a Bison GT2 Pro 5G.

I only hope it doesn't have it's own issues as I have since read a lot of one star buyer reviews on AliExpress complaining about some advertised apps not working and causing issues. The main complaint, which didn't catch me out though, is that buyers felt deceived when realised the OS version was Android 11, not the advertised Android 12. If they had followed the asterisk to read the fine print, those disgruntled buyers would have noticed that Android 12 updates are to follow by OTA. Somewhat deceptive I must admit. Check out the screenshots.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 02.png
    02.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 4

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

I have since downloaded the Google maps for my city and on shorted local trips, this 2020 Bison hasn't suddenly lost it's location or then had to scramble to provide new non sensical directions. I haven't tested the routes where I observed this behaviour before.
I thought this was all about a GPS hardware issue when the Bison had trouble fixing and holding a GPS signal? But if offline maps makes the difference then surely that points to a computing issue where the phone can't download and process online maps fast enough....

Anyway, I'll see soon if navigation using offline maps produces the same odd behaviour as I saw before downloading the maps.

kgoerbig

Jun 13, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Redmi Note 9
I have since downloaded the Google maps for my city and on shorted local trips, this 2020 Bison hasn't suddenly lost it's location or then had to scramble to provide new non sensical directions. I haven't tested the routes where I observed this behaviour before.
I thought this was all about a GPS hardware issue when the Bison had trouble fixing and holding a GPS signal? But if offline maps makes the difference then surely that points to a computing issue where the phone can't download and process online maps fast enough....

Anyway, I'll see soon if navigation using offline maps produces the same odd behaviour as I saw before downloading the maps.

It has improved after downloading offline maps, but I still notice glitches driving in city areas, and sometimes going around a curve that switches the direction you are driving, gps will sometimes flipout. It's definatly not perfect, and at this point I do not have a ton of options with this phone besides selling it, and getting something different.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can someone please make a twrp for umidigi Bison please...

Ok guys I managed to root the umidigi bison what you need is the patched boot.img and the vbmeta.img download the stock rom and extract the boot.img patch it with latest magisk manager. , Next I flashed the imgs through Ubuntu os in this order

Fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magiskpatched.img

Fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

And that's it attention: you can't alter the system in anyway what so ever or you will have to reflash your stock rom and go through the same process...😁😁😎😎
    Assuming you already got your bootloader unlocked and adb debugging on you will have successhere the files I used
    I have one as well I've been testing on. Thus far its a mixed bag. I like the hardware and capabilities. The phone camera software sucks. Want to root the phone to get a stable version of GCam running.
    OK I've got my phone up and running Lineage OS 18.1 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/gsi-11-lineageos-18-x-gsi-all-archs.4205461/). The process seemed to apply some rules from a diversity of sources, so I'll try to recount them here:

1. Enable ADB: to enable USB Debugging (ADB), through the stock (original) ROM, then, once authorized, checked driver status in my Windows 10 device manager to make sure I had no driver errors. Performed the "adb devices" check to make sure that the serial was reporting correctly. Once I did, "adb reboot bootloader" got me to the first fastboot mode.

2. Two fastboot modes: the first fastboot mode is the one with the tiny text "fastboot mode..." at the bottom of the screen. This is, as I understand it, "Fastboot" mode, not to be confused with "Fastbootd", or Dynamic Fastboot mode. (ref: https://source.android.com/setup/build/gsi) To switch to dynamic fastboot mode, the command "fastboot reboot fastboot" should get you there, with the red "fastbootd" text at the top of the screen, blocked by the camera.

3. Unlock bootloader: per all the warnings this zero's the device in irreversible ways. I tried "fastboot flashing unlock" per other websites, but that didn't work. "fastboot oem unlock" works, but I can't remember if I did this in fastbootd or fastboot mode. It didn't seem to harm anything to simply push that command through a variety of ways.

4. Flash vbmeta: At first I attempted to flash the Umidigi Bison vbmeta.img in the Fastbootd mode, since the Umidigi Bison does use dynamic partitions (ref: https://developer.android.com/codelabs/using-android-q-gsi#3), but the flash failed with message "FAILED (remote: 'No such file or directory')". On a whim, I went back to generic Fastboot mode (using the phone's keys to navigate to that menu option), and tried again. This time, the flash was successful: "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img". However, to be safe, I noticed that there were two other vbmeta files in the stock Umidigi rom (https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=19926&extra=page=1), so I flashed those as well, using some deduction: "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img" and "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_vendor vbmeta_vendor.img"

5. Flash system: this was the trickiest. Had to discover what dynamic partitions meant (https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement) and how to manipulate them. First of all, it's important to be in dynamic fastboot mode to complete these things. That's fastbootd, read at the top of the screen on the Bison, blocked in part by the camera. If that isn't what's read, and instead the screen reads "fastboot mode..." in tiny letters at the bottom, issue the command "fastboot reboot fastboot" and that ought to work. Once in Fastbootd mode, I issued "fastboot erase system" which completed successfully. But don't be fooled; we're just fiddling with dynamic, "logical" partitions, so that command isn't the whole story. Instead, when I attempted to issue the command, "fastboot flash system lineage-18.1-20210317-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img" I got the error, "Resizing 'system' FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition')". Reading up on this here: https://source.android.com/setup/build/gsi I found that I needed to make room, deleting the product logical partition (neat infographic here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement). What's key, in deleting the product partition, is to heed the instructions, "The postfix _a should match the slot id of the system partition, such as system_a in this example." In the error message above, the partition is merely "system", not "system_a" or "system_b", so I issued the command: "fastboot delete-logical-partition product". After doing tihs, the command "fastboot flash system lineage-18.1-20210317-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img" worked without error.

6. Wipe. Per the instructions out there, we're instructed to wipe, so I did: "fastboot -w". It produced mixed results: "'
    Erasing 'userdata' OKAY [ 2.800s]
    Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
    File system type raw not supported.
    Erasing 'metadata' OKAY [ 0.006s]
    Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
    File system type raw not supported.
    Finished. Total time: 2.817s"

7. Reboot. With fingers crossed, I rebooted. The device seemed to take longer than usual to hit the first boot screen, with it's tiny message about insecure boot because of the unlocked bootloader, and then a little longer and Lineage OS was BOOTING on my phone!

I'm sure I missed some critical details, but I'm all ears to help out.

PS: I am unclear which architecture file we're supposed to use. I used the "ab" versions of the Linage, but strictly out of peer pressure: it was the most downloaded version by far: https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-18.x/
    Ola poderia disponibilizar os comandos pra windows 10 tentei dar root não obtive sucesso

translation:

Hello could make the commands available for windows 10 I tried to root it was not successful

TL/DR: big instruction set explaining how to do this basically from scratch if you're on WIN10. It will wipe your device.

so I think what you may be missing is drivers installed in WIN10 so that the device is detected in fastboot mode.

From Umidigi community forum - it says the VCOM drivers required for flashing with SP Flash Tool will install:
    These may not be the same as fastboot drivers, but at least good to note if you brick your phone, you shoudl be able to use this to restore the original firmware (found on the same site, look under the ROMS section and find your device) - I can't stress this enough, if you decide to go into modifying your phone, you need to know how to flash everything back to stock and have your original stock firmware available, as well as the SP Flash Tool working properly with your system. Heed the warnings on what you should be doing with SP Flash, if you nuke everything you also wipe out your IMEI, making your SIM card useless (you won't be able to get on the network) - Take steps and back up, back up, back up!

I know the Umidigi forum says don't do it from other sites, but if you really need to, a google search can lead you to further instructions. I found these:
    I'm not on win10 so I don't know if it will work. Worth a try.

When you have your device detecting in fastboot mode, ensure you have the latest ADB+ fasboot package installed for win10 - grab it from here:

ensure you extract the contents to a location that matches your available paths, such as c:\windows, so you can run it from anywhere in command prompt.

Then the same commands as noted by @Daflow77 will work for you (fastboot commands are universal on all OS)
    So if you think you're ready now and accept responsibility - read on.

step by step guide - this will wipe your phone if you want to root:

1 - Ensure you have the original firmware from Umidigi for your phone, extract it, grab boot.img, copy it to your device. (as earlier - done)

2 - Grab the latest Magisk file from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.0
    install on your phone. Use Magisk to patch the boot.img you copied over earlier. Take the patched boot.img (it will name it something else) and copy it back to your PC.

3 - On your phone, ensure you have the OEM Unlock switch turned on in Developer Options so you can unlock the bootloader. Use ADB to reboot the phone to bootloader:
    from command prompt:
    adb reboot bootloader

4 - if it's correct, you should be in fastboot mode (almost blank screen with very tiny text at the bottom)
    unlock your bootloader if you have not done so:

fastboot flashing unlock

look at your phone, it should ask you to hit volume up for "yes" and volume down for "no"

once unlocked, it wipes your phone, but now your bootloader is unlocked, you will also see "orange status" in very small letters at the boot screen along with a 5 second delay for boot. Reboot the phone, only this time hold Volume UP button while pressing power. When the screen comes back up, keep Volume UP pressed. It should get you to a dead android screen, let go of Volume UP. This is the stock recovery. To get the text to show, press Volume Up and Power and hold for about 4 seconds, then the text shows up. (I usually find that I have to press power then in a split second press Volume UP, then continue to hold them for 3-4 seconds and let go for the text to show up)
    One of the options says Enter Fastboot - do not go there. Select Reboot Bootloader. You're back at the same screen you saw at step 4, but this time you need to flash the patched boot.img you did in step 3, as well as the vbmeta noted to disable verity or else you'll get boot loops.

5 - as per @Daflow77 :

run these command in the same command prompt you have open in WIndows.
    (ensure you change directory to where the vbmeta.img and the patched boot.img are)

Fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot (your magisk patched boot img)

then reboot with

Fastboot reboot

Phone should restart, and since it was just wiped, you have to set everything back up again (it's at the original setup)

When you're back in, you should see Magisk app is already installed and configured for your phone.
    Please note, currently at testing, SafetyNet does not pass (I don't think it ever will) so you may have problems with certain features not working properly.

Because the partitions you need to edit are still set to read only (that's how the super.img is mounted) you can't modify anything in them, but you do have a systemless-root available with Magisk. Anything that's asking for root should now have a prompt to grant access.

Looking at all of this I don't see what else I would need root for, but it's good to have available.

I'm more interested in getting different OS installed on the phone and have customizations. Only if we can get the system image to not be read only.

Hope that helps.
    Yes let me load the two files up
    Fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magiskpatched.img