• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

UMIDIGI F1 Play

Search This thread

txenglan

Sep 26, 2017
OK, if fingerprints don't work on Q then I'll stick with Pie. I use those a lot in various apps.

Gesendet von meinem F1 mit Tapatalk

Fp might actually work for you. I think I may have lost them when I was messing around with the Dragon ROM. You might be able to keep them on Q as long as you Flash back to stock before trying the GSI. Not sure but worth a try.

Reactions: InTheY2K

BZ0RG

Jan 28, 2018
Hi there,

I didn't knew about the .img issue, but fastboot is a nice alternative if you don't want to switch between recoveries (or flash a ROM given in zip format).

GSI have working fingerprint, you may have messed up something.
From my point of view GSI offers higher customisation at the cost of some performance/battery backup. Some of them are bugless, but do not expect to have stock camera, which by the way isn't really reliable in all uses.

I personally run Eragon, skeleton1911 made an amazing job ??
I hoghly recommend his ROM if you don't mind sticking with Android 9.

Hence this device has an mtk chipset, it is really hard to brick it. You can use SP flash tool to get back on vendor firmware easily.

PS: there is a telegram chat, feel free to join us and keep in touch with news, get help or help others! ?
Link: https://t.me/umidigi

Deaddpool

Jan 5, 2020
Hi there,

I didn't knew about the .img issue, but fastboot is a nice alternative if you don't want to switch between recoveries (or flash a ROM given in zip format).

GSI have working fingerprint, you may have messed up something.
From my point of view GSI offers higher customisation at the cost of some performance/battery backup. Some of them are bugless, but do not expect to have stock camera, which by the way isn't really reliable in all uses.

I personally run Eragon, skeleton1911 made an amazing job ??
I hoghly recommend his ROM if you don't mind sticking with Android 9.

Hence this device has an mtk chipset, it is really hard to brick it. You can use SP flash tool to get back on vendor firmware easily.

PS: there is a telegram chat, feel free to join us and keep in touch with news, get help or help others! ?
Link: https://t.me/umidigi

Can we do all those things on xda? Why would I want to go to another venue? :silly:

txenglan

Sep 26, 2017
Can we do all those things on xda? Why would I want to go to another venue? :silly:

From what I've seen, you wouldn't get much help in there anyway. It's mainly just people posting pointless comments. About 1% of it is on topic and the rest is verbal diarrhea. No idea why people keep pushing Telegram for this kind of stuff. Not at all the right tool for technical discussion and collaboration.

Deaddpool

Jan 5, 2020
From what I've seen, you wouldn't get much help in there anyway. It's mainly just people posting pointless comments. About 1% of it is on topic and the rest is verbal diarrhea. No idea why people keep pushing Telegram for this kind of stuff. Not at all the right tool for technical discussion and collaboration.

Agreed! Peeps be Cray Cray! No need to go offsite for that stuff when xda is here for such things! :good:

Reactions: txenglan

masbass

Jun 5, 2013
Hi all, which version of modded GCamera is usable on this F1 Play? I had MGC_6.1.021_M18_V2e on it, tried some others as an update, none worked and when I went back to reinstall this version... it doesn't work and I'm stuck. Anyone can recommend a version they're using? Thanks

Petesky

Jun 17, 2008
Hi all, which version of modded GCamera is usable on this F1 Play? I had MGC_6.1.021_M18_V2e on it, tried some others as an update, none worked and when I went back to reinstall this version... it doesn't work and I'm stuck. Anyone can recommend a version they're using? Thanks

Dont know if any work ,the latest port from Parrot043 is supposed to work on all android 9 and 10,
but didnt work on my f1 play, I was going to try flashing lineage to see if it worked on that but I'm holding back the now.

BZ0RG

Jan 28, 2018
This version doesn't work on my device neither.
There are very few working atm (no video):
-Gcam_6.1.021_advanced_v1.5.190418.1850
-Hypercam R4 / R6 / E3
Notice that hypercam require a specific XML file to work correctly.

Reactions: masbass

txenglan

Sep 26, 2017
I was thinking about the recently disclosed Mediatek vulnerability. My understanding is that the March security patches for Google will address this issue but I'm a bit confused about how this works if it's actually something the vendor is supposed to patch (in the vendor partition). I'm using the Lineage 17 GSI so I assume the vulnerability will be patched but what else is in the vendor specific partition is subject to future concerns and/or can't be addressed specifically by Android security updates? Thoughts/insight appreciated from those more knowledgeable about the security impact of the new system & vendor partition layout.

Incidentally, I ran the script the dev created (diplomatic - https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...zing-temp-root-mediatek-armv8-t3922213/page95) and the output seems to suggest that the F1 Play has already been patched. Would be interested of the output from other folks

Last edited:

poog

May 23, 2010
Was wondering what the consensus is on the quality of the main camera of the F1 play and what are the options for camera apps?
1) As I understand, there is no usable GCAM so far.........correct?
2) Can RAW DNG be done with any apps with the main sensor?
3) Is there any 4k video stabilization on stock or any apps?

InTheY2K

Oct 20, 2017
Tønder
hundebetten.shop
I flashed stock recovery (was on twrp) then took update but after that I couldnt re-root,
I kept getting error pmt changed for rom: must be downloaded in sp flashtools
then I found this post over on the Umidigi forums

"In the new firmware, the memory layout table was slightly changed - the GPT service partition was increased, without touching the start addresses and sizes of other partitions. This leads to an error message when trying to update the firmware via the SP Flash Tool in Download only mode - the memory layout in the device and the new firmware are different. The solution is simple - use the old memory layout file MT6771_Android_scatter. After the firmware, the memory layout in the device will be updated (user data will be saved) and in the future, when updating, you can use a new scatter file"

So I used the scatter file from the last rom update "2019072618_g38v71c2k_kw_f1_play_eea" and managed to root again
I am currently having a similar issue.

Previously, I used to be on the Magisk Beta update channel but changed to the "stable" channel. Magisk Manager kept telling me there was an update available (20.4 [20400]), and when I downloaded and installed it, nothing changed, it would still display the previous Beta build.

Then I decided to delete Magisk and re-root the device, took the boot.img from the archive of last Stock ROM update (20190903), patched it in Magisk Manager on my phone, copied it to my computer and tried to flash it, but now SP Flash Tool tells me
PMT changed for the ROM; it must be downloaded. Please select "Format All + Download" scene and try again.
What does that mean, anyway? What is PMT, and what does SP Flash Tool mean by "it must be downloaded"? I presume, when I select "Format All + Download", my phone gets wiped to a factory reset.

I flashed Magisk before, without any such problem. Could TWRP interfere here, maybe? Should I go back to stock recovery? I can't boot into TWRP anymore. Using the key combination Vol+ and Power it does nothing, eventually boots into system. The same with TWRP App. When I select "Boot to Recovery" it boots to system. GAAA!

EDIT: Now, it's getting crazy. After several failed attempts to boot into recovery, I went to Magisk Manager once again, and now it shows "Magisk 20.4 (20400)" as installed. How can THIS be? All my flashing attempts were unsuccessful. And before that it would say, that Magisk is not installed. Does anybody have an explanation for this?

EDIT2: I checked Magisk settings, Magisk hide and SafetyNet. All good, all passed, all there. But now, after another reboot into system, Magisk is "N/A" again... what the heck is going on here?

EDIT3: Though I couldn't believe why the scatter file from the ROM that is currently installed would not fit, I downloaded the July version of the ROM (1.4GB over cell *sigh*) and extracted the scatter file from the archive. And wow, this one worked. Magisk would flash successfully! It makes no sense to me. But hey, it's a solution!

Last edited:
Reactions: eSZee

alec.claire

May 15, 2014
Hello

I have UmiDigi F1 Play stuck in a boot loop.

So, the phone was working fine on "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" updated via OTA. One day after a normal restart the phone went into a boot loop (UmiDgi logo, <thinking>, black screen (displayed not turned off), <thinking>, UmiDigi logo, and so on).

So, these are the steps I took so far with no luck:

1. Managed to get into recovery (pressing repeatedly Vol-Up while UmiDigi logo comes on), and did factory settings restart, still boot loop. "Mount /system" still boot loop. "Wipe cache", still boot loop. Also at times when I got into recovery browsing through the options was super slow - one pres vol-up or vol-down and it took three seconds to move to the next option in the menu.
2. Reflashed in Download only mode the ROM "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" via SP Tools, still boot loop.
3. Downgraded using Flash firmware mode to the oldest available ROM - "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190409 ROM - SPFT release", still boot loop.
4. Formatted everything including bootloader, flashed again the newest "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release", restored IMEIs, still boot loop.
4. Occasionally the phone loaded the system, but after system restart there is still a boot loop. Moreover, in the top right corner there are two lines saying "TEE: <Chinese symbols> Google: <Chinese symbols>" visible at all times in Android, despite correct IMEIs being present.
5. Flashed again the newest "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" but this time I've read somewhere to press and hold both vol-up and vol-down before connecting the phone to the computer to supposedly enter safe mode. It only resulted in displaying single green pixel in the top-left corner at all times in boot loop.
6. I've unlocked the bootloader via Developer options in Android when it miraculously loaded. Tried to flash TWRP via ADB - the phone displays that bootloader is locked. Tried flashing TWRP according to the instructions on the UmiDigi forum via SP Tools and there is a text under UmiDigi boot logo saying "Red state <you're using custom recovery use OEM recovery this will not start>". The text is displayed for a very short period of time and the phones goes again into a boot loop.

So to sup up:

- the phone has the newest stock ROM "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release"
- is stuck in boot loop (UmiDigi logo, <thinking>, black screen (displayed not turned off), <thinking>, UmiDigi logo, and so on)
- in the boot loop there is single green pixel in the top left corner at all times
- when the system occasionally loads there are two lines visible at all times saying "TEE: <Chinese symbols> Google: <Chinese symbols>"

How do I fix that guys? Any ideas?

[email protected]

Jan 12, 2014
I have use the method above and successfully rooted my F1 play. Only thing doesn't work is my camera. Camera doesn't focus to close distance, such as I can not take picture of documents. It looks all fuzzy. Any suggestion?

May 4, 2020
Fixing F1 play in boot loop.

Editing my reply since I managed to fix the boot loop issue on Umidigi F1 Play for the third time.

1.Make sure you have SP Flash tool installed. If your use Windows, you'll need to install the additional drivers.
2.Get the stock rom file from Umidigi's website, its on their community page. Make sure you get the right stock rom version for F1 play and not F1.
3.Extract the Stock Rom archived file which you have downloaded. In this folder you will find three files that you need. 1. Scatter file 2.Boot file and 3. System file.
4.Your phone shouldn't be connected to the PC, ensure the battery has sufficient power.
5.Click the Download tab on SP Flash tool, select the Scatter file from the extracted folder. You will notice, all the boxes get checked. Please uncheck all the boxes- make sure to do this, failing to do this will result in bricking the phone where it may not power up again. I've already bricked one. So please be careful.
6.Select only two boxes- boot and system. Make sure you click on them and select the respective boot and system files from the extracted folder of stock rom.
7.Click download.... then pressing the power button on your phone( the phone must be powered off) and before it power ups again connect to the PC.
When you see the bar at the bottom of SP Flash tool- Download tab turn red, release the power button on the phone immediately.
If you read the instructions from the Umidigi community page from where you download the stock rom.. they instruct you to keep the power button pressed, connect to PC and release the power button when you see the bar starting to turn red.
At this stage the flashing will commence and when successful disconnect phone.
8.Press Vol - down button plus power button-
Phone enters recovery mode with a menu in what seems like Mandarin- use vol down button to navigate down to the last line of the menu and press power button.
The next screen says rebooting.
9. Press power button to turn on phone- you are back to square one- a factory reset.

You might want to use SP Flash to flash the twrp f1 play recovery image.
Install Fdroid- then install the app you find on Fdroid called Power App. Power App's menu has a reboot in recovery option which boots the phone in twrp.

My two cents, try at your own risk, thread your own path. hope it helps. Cheers

Reply to:

Hello

I have UmiDigi F1 Play stuck in a boot loop.

So, the phone was working fine on "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" updated via OTA. One day after a normal restart the phone went into a boot loop (UmiDgi logo, <thinking>, black screen (displayed not turned off), <thinking>, UmiDigi logo, and so on).

So, these are the steps I took so far with no luck:

1. Managed to get into recovery (pressing repeatedly Vol-Up while UmiDigi logo comes on), and did factory settings restart, still boot loop. "Mount /system" still boot loop. "Wipe cache", still boot loop. Also at times when I got into recovery browsing through the options was super slow - one pres vol-up or vol-down and it took three seconds to move to the next option in the menu.
2. Reflashed in Download only mode the ROM "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" via SP Tools, still boot loop.
3. Downgraded using Flash firmware mode to the oldest available ROM - "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190409 ROM - SPFT release", still boot loop.
4. Formatted everything including bootloader, flashed again the newest "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release", restored IMEIs, still boot loop.
4. Occasionally the phone loaded the system, but after system restart there is still a boot loop. Moreover, in the top right corner there are two lines saying "TEE: <Chinese symbols> Google: <Chinese symbols>" visible at all times in Android, despite correct IMEIs being present.
5. Flashed again the newest "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release" but this time I've read somewhere to press and hold both vol-up and vol-down before connecting the phone to the computer to supposedly enter safe mode. It only resulted in displaying single green pixel in the top-left corner at all times in boot loop.
6. I've unlocked the bootloader via Developer options in Android when it miraculously loaded. Tried to flash TWRP via ADB - the phone displays that bootloader is locked. Tried flashing TWRP according to the instructions on the UmiDigi forum via SP Tools and there is a text under UmiDigi boot logo saying "Red state <you're using custom recovery use OEM recovery this will not start>". The text is displayed for a very short period of time and the phones goes again into a boot loop.

So to sup up:

- the phone has the newest stock ROM "UMIDIGI F1 Play V1.0_20190903 ROM - SPFT + OTA release"
- is stuck in boot loop (UmiDigi logo, <thinking>, black screen (displayed not turned off), <thinking>, UmiDigi logo, and so on)
- in the boot loop there is single green pixel in the top left corner at all times
- when the system occasionally loads there are two lines visible at all times saying "TEE: <Chinese symbols> Google: <Chinese symbols>"

How do I fix that guys? Any ideas?

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
Decrpyting data paration and custom rom for Umidigi F1 Play.

I've managed to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, install twrp for umidigi f1 play.

Has anyone managed to solve the issue with the encrypted data partition and install a custom rom?
Any instructions would be appreciated, thanks.

I've tried formatting theinternal mem partition after typing yes in twrp. I've tried wiping data, system, cache and also formatting internal mem with ext4.
If you google custom roms for umidigi f1 play you'll find Andy Yan's personal builds of LineageOS 17 Umidigi F1 play Treble..
Following the instructions on gearallnews: I get stuck at the step which says " advanced wipe then the select system, data, Dalvik/ART cache, cache".. this returns errors with twrp.

Cheers

Last edited:

alec.claire

May 15, 2014
Editing my reply since I managed to fix the boot loop issue on Umidigi F1 Play for the third time.

1.Make sure you have SP Flash tool installed. If your use Windows, you'll need to install the additional drivers.
2.Get the stock rom file from Umidigi's website, its on their community page. Make sure you get the right stock rom version for F1 play and not F1.
3.Extract the Stock Rom archived file which you have downloaded. In this folder you will find three files that you need. 1. Scatter file 2.Boot file and 3. System file.
4.Your phone shouldn't be connected to the PC, ensure the battery has sufficient power.
5.Click the Download tab on SP Flash tool, select the Scatter file from the extracted folder. You will notice, all the boxes get checked. Please uncheck all the boxes- make sure to do this, failing to do this will result in bricking the phone where it may not power up again. I've already bricked one. So please be careful.
6.Select only two boxes- boot and system. Make sure you click on them and select the respective boot and system files from the extracted folder of stock rom.
7.Click download.... then pressing the power button on your phone( the phone must be powered off) and before it power ups again connect to the PC.
When you see the bar at the bottom of SP Flash tool- Download tab turn red, release the power button on the phone immediately.
If you read the instructions from the Umidigi community page from where you download the stock rom.. they instruct you to keep the power button pressed, connect to PC and release the power button when you see the bar starting to turn red.
At this stage the flashing will commence and when successful disconnect phone.
8.Press Vol - down button plus power button-
Phone enters recovery mode with a menu in what seems like Mandarin- use vol down button to navigate down to the last line of the menu and press power button.
The next screen says rebooting.
9. Press power button to turn on phone- you are back to square one- a factory reset.

You might want to use SP Flash to flash the twrp f1 play recovery image.
Install Fdroid- then install the app you find on Fdroid called Power App. Power App's menu has a reboot in recovery option which boots the phone in twrp.

My two cents, try at your own risk, thread your own path. hope it helps. Cheers

So, I've selected boot and system in "Download only" mode is SP Tools and did the following combinations:

- Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, SP Tools stuck on a first red bar showing 100%; later the phone wouldn't power up
- tried connecting phone without holding any buttons, noting happened
- Power holding down before connecting to the PC , device recognised, and releasing Power button as soon as download started, the phone wouldn't power up
- selected all items of the ROM to flash, connected the phone without pressing any buttons, the flashing process started but error popped - ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003); changed USB ports, flashed again, powered on, boot loop
- selected again only boot and system, Power+Vol-Down down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, error popped - ERROR: status_err (0x C0010001); repeated the process, flashed, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process, error popped - ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003)
- Power+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, the phone wouldn't power on; started the download process and had to hold Power for a good 10 seconds before download started, boot loop
- Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003), boot loop

So, no luck with the above combinations. I disconnected the battery but it didn't help.

Tips:

- if you want to access recovery while stuck in a boot loop hold down Volume-Up while UmiDigi logo displays and when it disappears start fidgeting Volume-Up, eventually after few good seconds recovery will load although it works super slow
- if you have a bricked phone, start the Download only process in SP Tools, hold down Power and connect the phone, give it few good seconds, should eventually start downloading

So, still no luck and still stuck in boot loop.

May 4, 2020
I've managed to solve the boot loop issue thrice. The third time I made a mental note of what I was doing.
1.You need to download the stock rom for F1 play and extract it.
2.You will need to reference three files from the extracted folder on the download tab of SP Flash.
The scatter file. When you select it, all the boxes gets checked. Uncheck all of them except for boot and system boxes.
Then make sure the boot.img is from the same extracted stock rom folder, make sure the box is checked.
Also make sure the system.img is from the same extracted stock rom folder, make sure this box is checked.
3.Click the download button. The stop button turns green.
4. Since the device is in a perpetual boot loop you are not going to have any luck turning it off,
which is why you press and hold down the power button- when the screen goes blank, connect it to the PC immediately, as soon as you see the red appearing, release the power button. Flashing will then commence and should be successful.
5.Also with SP Flash under "options", under connection usb=high speed, under download both checksums are checked.
If you are using Linux you will need to sort out the modem manager for SP Flash to work. If you look around you will find the commands to disable it.
6.If flashing was successful, disconnect. Holding down the vol down + power button you enter the recovery mode in mandarin, select last option and press power button, next screen says rebooting.. then power up, phone powers up with a reset.
You only need to flash boot and system images.
With my device, powering on the phone after fidgeting usually takes about 10-15 seconds. You need to keep the power button pressed for a bit- it may seem like forever.

Please let me know how you open the device. Do you need to unscrew the screws at the both near the usb c port? What screwdriver are you using? I need to open an F1 that I have bricked selecting all options of SP Flash download and flahing.:(
Ta

So, I've selected boot and system in "Download only" mode is SP Tools and did the following combinations:

- Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, SP Tools stuck on a first red bar showing 100%; later the phone wouldn't power up
- tried connecting phone without holding any buttons, noting happened
- Power holding down before connecting to the PC , device recognised, and releasing Power button as soon as download started, the phone wouldn't power up
- selected all items of the ROM to flash, connected the phone without pressing any buttons, the flashing process started but error popped - ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003); changed USB ports, flashed again, powered on, boot loop
- selected again only boot and system, Power+Vol-Down down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, error popped - ERROR: status_err (0x C0010001); repeated the process, flashed, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process, error popped - ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003)
- Power+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Up holding down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop at the end of the process
- Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, the phone wouldn't power on; started the download process and had to hold Power for a good 10 seconds before download started, boot loop
- Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and releasing as soon as download started, boot loop
- Power+Vol-Down+Vol-Up down before connecting to the PC and holding it entire download process, ERROR status-download_exception (0x C0050003), boot loop

So, no luck with the above combinations. I disconnected the battery but it didn't help.

Tips:

- if you want to access recovery while stuck in a boot loop hold down Volume-Up while UmiDigi logo displays and when it disappears start fidgeting Volume-Up, eventually after few good seconds recovery will load although it works super slow
- if you have a bricked phone, start the Download only process in SP Tools, hold down Power and connect the phone, give it few good seconds, should eventually start downloading

So, still no luck and still stuck in boot loop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New UMIDIGI F1 Play

New thread for the new model UMIDIGI F1 Play Helio P60 Octa core Mtk 6771

Umidigi F1 Play MT6771 Octa Core 4G LTE 802.11ac 6GB 64GB Android 9 Smartphone 6,3 inches

black.jpg

Attention this UMIDIGI F1 play is different from UMIDIGI F1 .
    the two models have different hardware and different Kernel !

Everybody are Welcome!:good:

MANY THANKS TO OUR MODERATORS TO OPEN AGAIN THIS THREAD !
    More attention to the Xda-developers Rules:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?f=256
    Many thanks to "SUPER ADMIN" MR. MIKE​
    Recovery modded +
    How to receive Right Root in this new Device
    F1_Play From UMIDIGI Brand

Attention this UMIDIGI F1 play is different from UMIDIGI F1 .
    the two models have different hardware and different Kernel !

This Thread is not for beginners and all the steps made will be down the warrancy at own risk.
    This tutorial will guide you through the process of installing a custom recovery image
    on your MediaTek based UMIDIGI smartphone and to receive right root access.

Some possible issues that might need your attention:

Custom recovery images of different Android versions are not always interchangeable. For example, you can't install an Android 5.0 recovery on a 4.4 system and so on. Any exceptions are mentioned in the list of recovery images.
    At most of the devices, after flashing the TWRP image, first you have to boot into recovery (TWRP) or the stock recovery will be restored.
    At some devices, after flashing TWRP, first you have to root your phone (install SuperSU or Magisk) or it won't be able to boot into the system.
    Once you've rooted your device, you won't be able to install OTA updates anymore but the only way to update your phone is flashing with SP Flash Tool. Flashing a stock ROM (with the stock recovery) will make you able to install OTA updates again.
    At some devices (or specific ROM versions), when powering on your phone to boot into TWRP (power + vol-up), after about 3 seconds, you have to release the power button (even if your screen is still black) and keep only the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP welcome screen pops up or the recovery will be skipped and your phone will boot into the system.

What you need:

Driver for Preloader USB VCOM mode:
    Windows 10 already can automatically install it or you can use this:
    MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe

SP Flash Tool application:
    SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1812.rar
    Adb Command for Windows pc:
    Command adb for dos/windows

A custom recovery image that fits your phone
    Scatter + Recovery twrp

161731xmkc0140dfkkm0qk.jpg

Test 1 Phase......

@Everybody
    the custom recovery twrp test1 is already in testng phase.....................

Procedure to how to flash the Recovery into Umidigi F1 Play

Now is not possible to flash the recovery throught flashtool because there is a bootloader locked so we must go ahead with adb command.

1) download all the previous files;

2) in Android F1 Play in "Settings System details" enter in about phone ot make visible the developer options click several times on about phone ....

3) in Setting System will be now shown the developer menu' enter and switch to visible OEM unlocking allow the bootloader to be unlocked.

4) reboot the phone and with power menu' and volume + in the same time enter in booting menu'.......select fastboot mode.

5) Now in windws pc run the commad cmd or open a ms-dos window and enter in the adb folder ;

6)write the command fastboot devices...and the phone connected with the usb cable must answer the command that is connected..

7) use the command fastboot oem unlock and wait....

8) copy with windows command the recovery twrp.img in the adb folder and renamed it with recovery.img
    to flash in the phone use this command : Fastboot flash flash recovery recovery.img
    the process will start ...and wait it...

9) make this command to reboot into recovery mode: fastboot reboot.
    10) now take the buttons pushed with power menu' + volume + and select recovery mode....

11) in recovery mode will show probably russian language...skip the alert with the arrow back and enter in details menu' on the right top to change the language...

NOW NOT REBOOT INTO ANDROID SYSTEM WITHOUT MAKE THE ROOT STEPS
    because the android system protection will flash automatically the recovery original and all of you will lost the recovery twrp flashed before
    and all of you will repeit all the preious steps again

How to Root your Umidigi F1 Play

How to Root:
    Enter in the Recovery mode.....
    You need to FORMAT the partition given TWICE a simple deletion is not enough it seems in Android 7 and upper.
    Follow this procedure in this exact order and should solve most problems.

1. Install TWRP through flashtool or adb command and then directly restore in recovery (twrp) do not enter in android system under penalty of twrp deletion and restoration of the original recovery.
    2. Select Wipe / Advanced / select date Yes to confirm. When finished, choose Restart, then always in recovery.
    3. Choose Wipe Advanced Format DATA again type Yes to confirm When it ends choose Restart always in recovery.
    4. Select Wipe and select cache and Dalvik scroll to confirm When it finishes choose Restart and always in Recovery.

5. Now install Magisk 17.1 use this version tested
    Magisk 17.1 (Tested)

you can restart in the android system and you will find magisk installed.

For a full root you have to install from the play store busybox app and install the busybox binaries at least in sbin and bin (system folders) the app will guide you
    Busybox see here:
    lCkpBdZUgO3lB-ANrvlp0RE7D9w_LN3AUjYbRF3tgf4CizLs_xQiz1LwB5_GKiWPs_w=w300

Busybox in the google playstore
    I prefer this app to others because of its track automation that doesn't require much experience.

@Everybody
    the custom recovery twrp test1 is already in testng phase.....................

These recent post , about loosing root after an OTA , are , well obviously correct.

OTA update is supposed to update the system and boot partition (even though this is system as root device). And this update process will remove root.
    Because magisk root is on the boot.img.

As for the bootloops to recovery after the update, well that a known issue. And a somewhat simple solution.
    The Stock system sets a reboot code into the misc partition. Or call it the " para" (parameter) partition. Stock recovery wipes this data on an update or reset. Twrp is not doing this. But you can clear the reboot recovery command using terminal in twrp.
    I have even added the wipe command to my Own port Of twrp. (Added to fstab).
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/para count=1 bs=32
    Same thing I mentioned in this post a while back in the F1 thread.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79638705&postcount=2