UMX 683CL root

Search This thread

wsmyth

Feb 5, 2009
Hi guys.

New to the forums. I know that there are three threads that already detail what I am asking for. I just don't get it. I try to follow one of them and it says "run Qfil; install QPst." I would be happy to do that, but I just do not know where they are or how to run them.

Then one of the twrp files (whatever that is) has been taken down because of "gross violations." I cannot figure out how to do what the threads say to do.

Can someone please tell me how to root this thing? Step-by-step. With all the downloads. Thanks for your help.

Feel free to close this thread when a response appears.

wsmyth

Feb 5, 2009
Help

I followed all instructions. I cannot get a twrp to load.

Good instructions, but I had these problems.
1. There is no link to a TWRP file. I use the link shown, and I get "Stock April Patch" from mediafire. None of the files here have TWRP in the filename.
2. I did go to https://rootmygalaxy.net/root-twrp-umx-u673c, a similar site. It did have a link to a TWRP file to use. Your instructions are identical.

So I turn off the device. I turn it on with power and volume-up button. The device goes to Mr. Android lying down with the message "No Command." I look at some other sites, and it tells me to hold power, and press power-up.

This takes me to Android Recovery menu. On Windows cmd line (ADB and Fastboot folder), I type adb reboot bootloader. The Windows screen responds no device/emulators found.

So I select option on the Android to Reboot to Bootloader. The device boots into FASTBOOT MODE with START at the top. I imagine that this is what the above command is intended to do. For fun, I type the same command above in Windows, and I get the same response. But when I type fastboot devices , I get the device serial number (as shown on the START screen) and the word fastboot.

I imagine the device is ready to install TWRP. I use the TWRP file that I downloaded from the other page (remember, yours and their instructions are identical). I type fastboot flash recovery twrpname.img in Windows, and I get this set of messages:

target reported max download size 26214400
sending 'recovery' (20220 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.650s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.668s

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    I type fastboot flash recovery twrpname.img in Windows, and I get this set of messages:

target reported max download size 26214400
    sending 'recovery' (20220 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.650s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    finished. total time: 0.668s

IMO you didn't do anything wrong.
    To me it seems that OEM/Carrier did not put the typical Fastboot commands into the boot-loader.

BTW:
    To test the TWRP recovery without permanently flashing, run the following:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot boot twrpname.img

Last edited:

wsmyth

Feb 5, 2009
    Follow up

Thanks. When I type that code, I get...

downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 0.640s]
    booting...
    finished. total time: 0.646s

Thanks again

Does it matter that I have no SIM card in this device. on the START screen, I have this...

Press volume key to select, and press power key to select

FASTBOOT MODE (in red)
    PRODUCT_NAME - MSM8909
    VARIANT - QRD eMMC
    BOOTLOADER VERSION -
    BASEBAND VERSION -
    SERIAL NUMBER - a10b7526
    SECURE BOOT - disabled
    DEVICE STATE - unlocked (in red)

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone