UMX U693CL Assurant Wireless

Search This thread

BadRx

Dec 15, 2014
Azusa, CA
[/COLOR]
Also, there's a video out with Instructions how to install TWRP for this device model.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

http://anpsedic.org/article-twrp/umx-ultimate-mobile-experience-u693cl

Have you ACTUALLY VIEWED this video? I find myself at that web site too often, following links, and it's always a marry go round! Like a boot loop it keeps taking me to where I first started, never watching a video, never downloading the firmware or apk that I'm looking for... It may be on my end... something with my browser, Im not sure but that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

iwearthebelt

Aug 2, 2012
Chandler, AZ.
Have you ACTUALLY VIEWED this video? I find myself at that web site too often, following links, and it's always a marry go round! Like a boot loop it keeps taking me to where I first started, never watching a video, never downloading the firmware or apk that I'm looking for... It may be on my end... something with my browser, Im not sure but that's why I'm asking.

I just followed the link you posted and was able to watch the video just fine. As far as I know it's the correct procedure to install TWRP. I haven't bothered to root it or install TWRP just because I'm waiting for the Pixel 4a 5G to ship, that phone I will be rooting and installing custom recovery the day I get it.

Juiced Athlete

Jul 16, 2020
I just followed the link you posted and was able to watch the video just fine. As far as I know it's the correct procedure to install TWRP. I haven't bothered to root it or install TWRP just because I'm waiting for the Pixel 4a 5G to ship, that phone I will be rooting and installing custom recovery the day I get it.
That may be, but the download is the wrong one. I get the same problem as @BadRx says - It is a big loop of links.

grimreaper1014

Dec 31, 2012
I found a YouTube link that shows you how to port twrp to any device. I am going to look at it and see what I can figure out. Hopefully if I do not figure it out someone will build a twrp image for us so we can at least root it. Here is the link for the YouTube video on porting Twrp https://youtu.be/Z1hZxqw3JFI

BrittonBurton

Nov 10, 2020
Danville
All I got so far is...

To root a phone's Android unlocking device's bootloader is NOT needed. You may use SuperSU ZIP to root phone's Android.

I tried the SU.zip I found here https :// download chainfire eu /696/ supersu / (had to break the link to make it show at all) to see if jwoegerbauer suggestion would even get the ball rolling on this phone. Using a program called Root Validator I found in the Google play store it shows that root is unavailable and no Super User Binary is available. I assume this is done by flashing the proper custom boot ROM or BIOS, whatever it's called for cellphones anyway. Where do I find an unlocked or unsecured bootloader ROM file that gives the super user app (installed on the phone now) rights to the core applications. I just want these f***ing google applications removed entirely from the device, that's the sole purpose of trying to root it at this point. Alternately does anyone here know if root is even necessary to remove the apps? Not disabled but erased as in, no longer on the internal RAM or expansion SD card. I don't even care about changing the firmware or rather the Android 9 that is installed on it by default. I just want to degoogle the phone if that is possible.

Also of note all I did to installed SuperSU was download it from the link above, decompress it using a computer then sent the files to the phone using the regular USB file transfer option. Once the files were on the phone I looked through the directory structure it had created and found the SU executable binary file and ran/installed it. As expected the SU application is unable to do anything other than report that, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

The notice continues by telling me to consult the appropriate forum for my device model, so now I'm here too. The phones bootloader reports as it being unlocked already and I can get into recovery mode and see the options for sending data over the Android Device Bridge (ADB) (among many options I don't understand) and I even have the adb.exe and related files saved from a previous phone rooting experience. So what is the next step here?

BrittonBurton

Nov 10, 2020
Danville
Why is the bootloader so stubborn?

Maybe it's just this phone but I can not seem to get into the booloader/fastboot menu options. Even though the phone reports that OEM unlocking is enabled and states below the option that the bootloader is already unlocked.

When using "adb reboot-bootloader" at the command prompt the phone reboots making me think it's going to work and then just sits at the UMX splash screen until I take the battery out or hold the power button for 10 seconds. Same thing happens if I try using the option to boot to the bootloader from the recovery menu. So far the only hidden menu system I was able to find is the recovery menu, but none of those options are what is needed to flash the TWRP file (if one exists yet).

The site that link goes to on the previous page is a trap or something. With or without adblocking addon's that site is just an endless revolving door that never produced a downloadable img file and kept referring to the file as twrp.apk in the description area. I'm pretty sure the twrp file would be in the .img format. In other words the site is luring people with click bait based on certain keywords used in search engines and we all fell for it ...lol

I've spent almost all day trying all these different things from SuperSU to Magic Mask, Kingo Root, etc. I've got the ADB command interface setup and the paths worked out for that. Without being able to reach the bootloader menu none of the guides on any site will work. I guess the advertisers are breaking out all the stops to keep people from removing the ad based applications and spyware this thing is bundled with.

For those looking to get ride of useless apps it can be done by using commands to basically hide the software from the user interface but it's not the same as removing them from the recovery partition to. Just use pm uninstall -k --user 0 package-name to uninstall the app from the user side of the ram partition from an ADB prompt.

The idea here for me was to free space by totally removing the google music, weather and other redundant apps I never use. Such as Chrome which is quite large and I'd rather use Firefox anyway but having them both installed takes up more space than I care to see used by software. I can only assume that this phone is to low end to get people interested in finding a way to root it. Perhaps in time as the phone gets older and more people have it someone smarter than me will figure out a way to get access to the root of the phone.

Possible hope for root

It seems that there may be a magisk solution for root for this phone. However, after doing some little research I've learned that this phone does not have boot ramdisk. That being said, you cannot use magic to flash a boot image, you have to flash the recovery image. After searching online for a little while finding the firmware or software downloads for this phone seems to be too difficult for my attention span. If one were to manage to find the downloads and flash the patched recovery image through magisk, you could possibly obtain route that way.

However a second rooting solution could be fruitful as well. I found online a possible way to alter the update.zip file to inject SuperSu during the update process used in the stock recovery menu. I'm sure I'll find more motivation to do more work on this thing soon enough.

I've included a info dump I've managed to obtain for the phone. I'm hoping this information will help.

Android

Android version

SDK version

Android ID
930e11e70d3212f2

Kernel
Linux version 4.9.112-perf ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.9.x 20150123 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 31 16:00:44 CST 2020

CPU & Memory

CPU
Processor : AArch64 Processor rev 4 (aarch64)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 38.40
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : Qualcomm Technologies, Inc QM215

ABI
arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi

Memory
MemTotal: 1907044 kB
MemFree: 13428 kB
MemAvailable: 962152 kB
Buffers: 17488 kB
Cached: 929792 kB
SwapCached: 5744 kB
Active: 874436 kB
Inactive: 682052 kB
Active(anon): 442656 kB
Inactive(anon): 172296 kB
Active(file): 431780 kB
Inactive(file): 509756 kB
Unevictable: 3136 kB
Mlocked: 3136 kB
SwapTotal: 1048572 kB
SwapFree: 993736 kB
Dirty: 1104 kB
Writeback: 4 kB
AnonPages: 612752 kB
Mapped: 666756 kB
Shmem: 3072 kB
Slab: 146868 kB
SReclaimable: 42860 kB
SUnreclaim: 104008 kB
KernelStack: 34048 kB
PageTables: 47200 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 2002092 kB
Committed_AS: 63327652 kB
VmallocTotal: 263061440 kB
VmallocUsed: 0 kB
VmallocChunk: 0 kB
CmaTotal: 49152 kB
CmaFree: 16 kB

Battery

Battery details
Current Battery Service state:
AC powered: false
USB powered: true
Wireless powered: false
Max charging current: 500000
Max charging voltage: 5000000
Charge counter: 1092000
health: 2
present: true
level: 56
scale: 100
voltage: 3885
temperature: 330

Reactions: Cory Daehn

BrittonBurton

Nov 10, 2020
Danville
Yeah it's like Fort Knox phone edition.

I had given up on rooting this one but it's good to know someone else is trying to find the solution. Now that update.zip modification scheme sounds promising since this phone's boot loader and recovery menu seem to be the same menu. I was unable to find any information online about the OEM updates for this phone, that is done by the phone's internal software from what I've seen of it.

If anyone cares to explain and if it helps I can try to extract the contents of the phones hidden backup data partition and share it online but first I'd have to know how to do that. What commands would I need to issue from an adb terminal for example to create a data copy of the files to modify? So that I can upload this phones data to the internet and attempt to create from that a modified update.zip file. Is that even possible?

Curiosity is my caffeine...

If you have a windows device, try installing QPST. This should most likely give you the ability to extract the current firmware of your Qualcomm device.

As for the update.zip idea, it is simply just that. I'm not 100% on it's validity, considering the improvements on security. As soon as I'm in front of a windows machine I'll exhaust some trial and error.

Until then I'm afraid we're S.O.L.

lllexcin

Dec 21, 2020
Curiosity is my caffeine...

If you have a windows device, try installing QPST. This should most likely give you the ability to extract the current firmware of your Qualcomm device.

As for the update.zip idea, it is simply just that. I'm not 100% on it's validity, considering the improvements on security. As soon as I'm in front of a windows machine I'll exhaust some trial and error.

Until then I'm afraid we're S.O.L.
does anyone have a link or copy of the bootimg or system

I think the boot is mmcblk0p25

thank-you

does anyone have a link or copy of the bootimg or system

I think the boot is mmcblk0p25

thank-you

I happen to have some extra free time tonight, so I'll dig into this some more. I've never used any recovery software for these phones (QPST), but I've read there's a few different programs designed to extract the firmware. However, use caution when downloading any of them. From my brief time doing research thus far on them, I've noticed a lot of malware disguised as the real programs.

I'll post an update later after I've spent some more time digging.

Side note:. If you've never heard/used an application called "Bugjaeger" you should look into it. I used it often (free version) and was able to extract more information about this phone than I could using any other 'traditional' method. Also, it's a phenomenal way to root/debug phones on the fly considering you only need the 2 phones and an OTG cable...cheers.

lllexcin

Dec 21, 2020
I happen to have some extra free time tonight, so I'll dig into this some more. I've never used any recovery software for these phones (QPST), but I've read there's a few different programs designed to extract the firmware. However, use caution when downloading any of them. From my brief time doing research thus far on them, I've noticed a lot of malware disguised as the real programs.

I'll post an update later after I've spent some more time digging.

Side note:. If you've never heard/used an application called "Bugjaeger" you should look into it. I used it often (free version) and was able to extract more information about this phone than I could using any other 'traditional' method. Also, it's a phenomenal way to root/debug phones on the fly considering you only need the 2 phones and an OTG cable...cheers.
awesome, I'm using bugjaeger, from another phone, have fastboot

just recently acquired a unimax

good-luck

lllexcin

Dec 21, 2020
Yes I have the same problem.
I'm probably going to wait for someone to post a back-up of the phone... but I noticed that the phone has project tremble where a different rom might be flashed 64 bit a
where this one has a lot of patches, that might make it difficult to root
it has vbmeta, which can be modified with a p.c
most people who flashed ended up with belt loops !!
because of the difficult modifications to the vbmeta file img ??
if anyone has any tips, greatly appreciated..

I've made a backup of the phone using the bugjaeger app. Will gladly upload after I scan through to make sure there's no personnfo on it. Also take notice of this screenshot. My boot.img files along with the associated naming for our phone. Sadly I cannot download either of them for whatever reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-213233.png
    Screenshot_20201221-213233.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 76
I can definitely say that finding our firmware for download via interwebs is most likely impossible. Just waisted a solid 45 minutes playing stupid with tech support and I was told that the firmware is intentionally made unavailable online for whatever bullsh*t reason she could make up on the spot.

What's the most frustrating is why would a company ship a phone with an unlocked bootloader if you don't want the users to utilize the access? She also wouldn't give me a straight answer when I asked her who the manufacturer of the phone was, which leads me to believe my suspicions about these phones being closely associated with malware and/or malicious entities.

If anyone finds a custom recovery or root method I'll be more than happy to test it out. This phone is basically disposable to me so I'm not concerned with ruining it.

Here's a info dump via "getvar bootloader"

(bootloader) version:0.5
(bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
(bootloader) battery-voltage:4174668
(bootloader) variant:QRD eMMC
(bootloader) unlocked:yes
(bootloader) secure:no
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) version-bootloader:
(bootloader) logical-block-size:0x200
(bootloader) erase-block-size:0x200
(bootloader) display-panel:
(bootloader) off-mode-charge:0
(bootloader) charger-screen-enabled:0
(bootloader) max-download-size:0x1ff00000
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0x249d79e00
(bootloader) partition-type:carrier:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:carrier: 0x3200000
(bootloader) partition-type:logdump:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:logdump: 0x4000000
(bootloader) partition-type:dpo:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:dpo: 0x2000
(bootloader) partition-type:msadp:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:msadp: 0x40000
(bootloader) partition-type:apdp:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:apdp: 0x40000
(bootloader) partition-type:keymasterbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:keymasterbak: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:keymaster:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:keymaster: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib64bak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib64bak: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib64:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib64: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:cmnlibbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:cmnlibbak: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:mcfg:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:mcfg: 0x400000
(bootloader) partition-type:syscfg:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:syscfg: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:mdtp:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:mdtp: 0x2000000
(bootloader) partition-type:dip:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:dip: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:mota:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:mota: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:limits:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:limits: 0x8000
(bootloader) partition-type: oem:raw
(bootloader) partition-size: oem: 0x10000000
(bootloader) partition-type:config:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:config: 0x8000
(bootloader) partition-type:keystore:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:keystore: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:misc:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:misc: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:metadata:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:metadata: 0x1000000
(bootloader) partition-type: persist:raw
(bootloader) partition-size: persist: 0x2000000
(bootloader) partition-type:cache:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:cache: 0x10000000
(bootloader) partition-type:vendor:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:vendor: 0x40000000
(bootloader) partition-type:system:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:system: 0xc0000000
(bootloader) partition-type:devinfo:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:devinfo: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:recovery:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:recovery: 0x4000000
(bootloader) partition-type:boot:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:boot: 0x4000000
(bootloader) partition-type:vbmetabak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:vbmetabak: 0x10000
(bootloader) partition-type:vbmeta:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:vbmeta: 0x10000
(bootloader) partition-type:dtbobak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:dtbobak: 0x800000
(bootloader) partition-type:dtbo:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:dtbo: 0x800000
(bootloader) partition-type:abootbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:abootbak: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:aboot:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:aboot: 0x100000
(bootloader) partition-type:splash:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:splash: 0xb00000
(bootloader) partition-type:sec:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:sec: 0x4000
(bootloader) partition-type:fsg:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:fsg: 0x180000
(bootloader) partition-type: DDR:raw
(bootloader) partition-size: DDR: 0x8000
(bootloader) partition-type:modemst2:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:modemst2: 0x180000
(bootloader) partition-type:modemst1:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:modemst1: 0x180000
(bootloader) partition-type:dsp:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:dsp: 0x1000000
(bootloader) partition-type:devcfgbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:devcfgbak: 0x40000
(bootloader) partition-type:devcfg:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:devcfg: 0x40000
(bootloader) partition-type:tzbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:tzbak: 0x200000
(bootloader) partition-type:tz:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:tz: 0x200000
(bootloader) partition-type:rpmbak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:rpmbak: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:rpm:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:rpm: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:sbl1bak:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:sbl1bak: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:sbl1:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:sbl1: 0x80000
(bootloader) partition-type:ssd:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:ssd: 0x2000
(bootloader) partition-type:fsc:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:fsc: 0x400
(bootloader) partition-type:modem:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:modem: 0x5400000
(bootloader) hw-revision:10000
(bootloader) serialno:1314b544
(bootloader) kernel:lk
(bootloader) product:QC_Reference_Phone

lllexcin

Dec 21, 2020
might try Linux to get the boot.img
bugjaeger won't download with out being rooted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201222-095416.png
    Screenshot_20201222-095416.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20201222-095424.png
    Screenshot_20201222-095424.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 48

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I know there are root tutorials and utilities for the UMX U673c and the UMX U683CL, but does anyone have a tutorial or a way to root the UMX U693CL? I already have dev console activated, usb debugging on, and oddly weird...under the OEM Unlock option, its greyed out and it states the bootloader is already unlocked. Should I believe that or could it just be still locked and reporting that its unlocked if it's a proprietary bootloader? Any help appreciated. :)
    Just a single bump to see if anyone has any root solutions yet
    Assurance?? Wireless

I'm pretty much in the same boat. And have you noticed whatever you look up on UMX os conveniently a 401 or some site doesn't exist message? I did find out that malware byte totally busted them on having government installed malware which they partially admitted to. Get malware premium and that helps with attitude this damn phone has.
    I just got the u693cl phone. I have not even powered it up yet. Did you all find out which processor it has? I am assuming it is the msm8909 but I am not sure yet.
    So I know there are root tutorials and utilities for the UMX U673c and the UMX U683CL, but does anyone have a tutorial or a way to root the UMX U693CL? I already have dev console activated, usb debugging on, and oddly weird...under the OEM Unlock option, its greyed out and it states the bootloader is already unlocked. Should I believe that or could it just be still locked and reporting that its unlocked if it's a proprietary bootloader? Any help appreciated. :)
    To root a phone's Android unlocking device's bootloader is NOT needed. You may use SuperSU ZIP to root phone's Android.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone