Unable to access Recovery

Search This thread

NotAPirate

Sep 9, 2009
Hello!
I've had AICP on my Z2-wifi tablet for a long time, have not modified it in year but I am having a lot of problems lately. Play Store keeps telling me to clean up my storage to install more apps, but I already have 8gb free.

I decided to Factory Reset and after it rebooted, nothing changed.
Okay then let's access Recovery and do things myself.
Holding Power+Volume Down gives me a purple LED but then AICP still loads.
When the purple led appears, if I lift my finger it turns yellow, then Sony logo again, AICP, Android desktop.
Tried to Reboot into Recovery from AICP but it just won't do it.
Try reboot into Recovery from ADB but it rebooted again directly into android.
"adb reboot recovery"

Went with "adb reboot bootloader" and the tablet reboots into a black screen with the corner led blue. Not accessible from ADB anymore. Nothing on screen. Can't flash twrp is ADB does not detect it. "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" gives me < waiting for any device >.

I just installed Sony EMMA tool, I need to access fastboot but the tablet just reboots into android. Managed to boot into bootloader black screen with blue led, Emma does not detect it.

Any suggestions?

NotAPirate

Sep 9, 2009
Now trying the Sony Xperia Companion for Windows tool.
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/...ts-mobile-phones/xperia-xa2/articles/00236877

It doesn't want to update but there is a Software Repair option. Which does not work. My Tablet is still rebooting to android AICP.
1uLlDTU.png

NotAPirate

Sep 9, 2009
Flashing using the "fastboot flash:raw boot boot.img" command.
EoedUHf.png

Now i got a bootloop with just Sony Xperia logo and the purple LED flashing.
When holding volume Up + power i get 3 vibrations, then it reboots into black screen and blue LED (fastboot mode).

Running out of ideas...

NotAPirate

Sep 9, 2009
Sony Emma tool does not see the tablet in fastboot mode.
Xperia Companion wants me to unlock the device, which means going into android, not going to work as all I have now is fastboot mode.
bNGubq8.png

I was hoping I could use this to clean up my mess and reset everything back to default factory settings.

_Sherrif

Hey @NotAPirate,,
Got your tag bud!

I have not been able to read through every post you made yet. Just got home from work and read the OP.

Couple things to start trouble shooting, keep in mind i have only read the OP then started typing you a message, so if you are past all of this below, sorry!

1. Have you been able to access recovery yet and clean up your tablet? Seen in your OP and that your tab rebooted to AICP when you tried to boot to recovery. After the tablet starts and you see the SONY logo with XPERIA across the center bottom, start tapping the VOLUME UP button, no need to hold the power button. Tap repeatedly till you see a Purple LED, then you will feel vibration and the LED will turn Orange, then you can stop tapping, not sure how many are needed, but to get you in there do it.

2. When you boot the tablet do you see XPERIA across the bottom in the center. The SONY name will be centered in the middle of the tablet and XPERIA will be across the bottom centered while booting from power off or a reboot. I only ask, because older fw does not have XPERIA across the bottom and the older FW does not work well with MARSHMALLOW + ROMS.

3. I am not familiar with EMMA, know what it is, just never used it. I can walk you through the FLASHTOOL steps if you want to start fresh using Flashtool and an FTF. I have always use flashtool and always got my tab fixed and back to original when i Bork something up good. I have links to the pages that give step by step instructions, and have a Pre-ROOTED Android 6.0 SONY Stock ROM in FTF format somewhere. The FTF is what is needed to flash original Sony fw, in case you didn't know. If you did....well my bad then.

I will read through everything in the morning and get back to you then.

Have a good evening or day, which ever place in the world your in.

_Sherrif

@NotAPirate,

Read through the thread. Unfortunately i am unable to determine what it is you are trying to do exactly. Is TWRP recovery not installed, or not opening when you try to access recovery?

Also, i did a little research this morning, my wife is getting an XPERIA 5 plus or pro. Anyway, i learned in reading through some threads for her phone, once you UNLOCK the boot-loader, you cannot use EMMA or Sony's Flash Tool, etc. You will need to use flashtool by androxyde. here is the link https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=920746 for some general reading. Here is the link about official Sony tools not working https://xperiafirmware.com/flashtool/ in the middle of the post you will see it. The flash tool they are talking about IS-NOT the one i linked previous.

The above links and info is because you were talking about just re-flashing your device. But before starting from scratch, let's narrow down exactly what the problem you are having is, then we will try to fix that, and re-flash to Stock OS as a last resort.

If you decide to just use flashtool and start over, let me know and i will send you an older version of flashtool that seems to work good for our device, always has for me anyway. The newest may work, i just never tried it.

**If you want to attempt to troubleshoot this without re-flashing to the beginning, please answer the 2nd questions in my previous post as well. It will help me narrow down the problem, as it will give an indication of the FW you are on**
I am not a dev nor do i know all the cmd line tricks to get things done quick like others can, just been using this tablet for 5 years and have been through it all, it seems and know what to check and look for....most of the time anyway..

Last edited:

NotAPirate

Sep 9, 2009
Plugging the tablet in my usb power supply.

Held volume UP only, when Sony Xperia logos were visible and waited until LED turned yellow and felt vibration.

TWRP 3.2.1-1 loaded!

Formatting Data
Wipe Dalvik/Cache
Wipe System
Wipe Internal

Install AICP weekly
https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/device/ca...Y-20201002.zip

Install OpenGapps, ARM, Android 10, Nano.https://opengapps.org/

Reboot.
purple Led is flashing a few times on Xperia Logo.
AICP custom rom logo animation.
First time setup of Android, WOOHOO!

Up next, give TWRP 3.4 a shot, and try to root with Magisk.

_Sherrif

Plugging the tablet in my usb power supply.

Held volume UP only, when Sony Xperia logos were visible and waited until LED turned yellow and felt vibration.

TWRP 3.2.1-1 loaded!

Formatting Data
Wipe Dalvik/Cache
Wipe System
Wipe Internal

Install AICP weekly
https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/device/ca...Y-20201002.zip

Install OpenGapps, ARM, Android 10, Nano.https://opengapps.org/

Reboot.
purple Led is flashing a few times on Xperia Logo.
AICP custom rom logo animation.
First time setup of Android, WOOHOO!

Up next, give TWRP 3.4 a shot, and try to root with Magisk.

@NotAPirate,
Good deal bro!
Yes the PURPLE flashing LED on boot (at Xperia Log) is normal. No worries there.

AICP from spiritcroc is OFFICIAL and has OTA's. They are under the AICP settings in the Settings panel. In case you were not aware the OTA's worked on AICP.

Now, 3.4 from Spiritcroc, should be installable without an issue. I flashed 3.4 with fast-boot commands in Boot-loader mode.

I personally use MAGISK 20.1 on my device. I ran into a few problems with my audio mods when on MAGISK 20.4. Just an FYI!!!! The newest MAGISK manager is fine. All you need to do is flash in TWRP and reboot. Then open the magisk manager and do your thing. If the app is missing in the app drawer, use a file manager and open the MAGISK zip you flashed and the apk will be in the COMMON folder if not mistaken. Folder may be wrong but looking around will find it.

If i can assist with anything, let me know!!!!