Unable to confirm bootloader unlock prompt on fastboot. Device buttons don't seem to work in there.

Search This thread

IsaacMR

Jan 4, 2016
Hello, I would be really grateful if one of you can give me a solution.
The device I need help with is a "SOUTH" SD100T (chinese tablet). I'm not any kind of expert.
Here is an image of the device:

tablet.png

Let me give some context...
The device came with android 8.1, but I NEED to upgrade it to at least android 9. After some time doing research I found about Project Treble, so I already got a gsi rom.
This is my first time working with a Mediatek device, I already done a backup of the device with SP Flash Tool and WWR MTK Tool (MTK Droid it's not compatible with the device chipset).

The issue comes when I try to unlock the bootloader, after using the command/s fastboot flashing unlock or fastboot oem unlock on the pc, the device requests a confirmation with a physical button (volume up or down):

bootloader screen.jpg

The thing is that not a single button or combination of them seems to work when in fastboot, so I'm unable to confirm the unlocking. The only thing I can do is using the power button to turn off the device.
I don't know if this behavior is a bug or is intended from the manufacturer.

Here is some info that could be relevant or not for understanding the problem:
The device indeed doesn't have strictly speaking volume buttons as you can see in the first image. Using a key tester app, this is what the buttons are interpreted as in the OS:

Screenshot_20220522-022146.png

The buttons were pressed from left to right.
buttons.png

The only buttons don't registered in the app are the recent apps, home and power button. There is no side or back buttons on the device.
I don't know if this could be the cause of the problem as silly at it looks. But something very important to take in count is that in recovery mode the D-Pad Up and D-Pad Down act as the volume buttons:

recovery mode.jpg

I don't know what to do, I've been loking for other methods on unlocking the bootloader and I found a program called MTK-Client but I need to get the device into brom mode, and I can't find the right combination of buttons if exists...
The only combination I've found is the recovery mode (Power + F1 button).

Is there any way on earth of skipping the confirmation screen on the device to unlock the bootloader? Or any other method possible, I would really appreciate an answer.
I've seen similar posts about physical buttons not working in fastboot but I haven't found any helpful answer...

P.S. I've seen some people that have rooted other mtk devices and installed a custom recovery without unlocking the bootloader with some weird methods. But for what I know that wouldn't be useful for me at all, I'm not even looking for rooting the device. And probably if I tried on flashing the rom with a custom recovery I would brick the device or it just wouldn't allow me to do it.

Attachments

• recovery.jpg
    recovery.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3