Unable to establish a wireless data connection

Search This thread
I have two Sprint Galaxy S8s that I purchased from Sam's Club. I have the same issue with both of them. Please respond if you are having this issue, or not and if you have found a fix. Apparently it is an issue on multiple Samsung devices with Sprint.

I continuously get a pop-up error that states:
LTE: ESM - 38 EMM - x

In the notification panel it shows:
RilNotifier
Mobile data connection error

I have spent hours on the phone with Sprint and they have not been able to permanently fix it. The last person talked to told me to take it to a store and they could fix it. Well, we all know how that goes....
There is 1 temporary fix. If I put in the Dialer code: ##72786# and let it do its thing, it will have no issues until the next time the phone is restarted.

I have update the PRL and profile numerous times. I have installed the latest system updates, factory reset. Nothing permanently fixes it thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mfegre1

ait1071

Jul 2, 2010
Altoona
I have two Sprint Galaxy S8s that I purchased from Sam's Club. I have the same issue with both of them. Please respond if you are having this issue, or not and if you have found a fix. Apparently it is an issue on multiple Samsung devices with Sprint.

RilNotifier

I have spent hours on the phone with Sprint and they have not been able to permanently fix it. The last person talked to told me to take it to a store and they could fix it. Well, we all know how that goes....
There is 1 temporary fix. If I put in the Dialer code: ##72786# and let it do its thing, it will have no issues until the next time the phone is restarted.

I have update the PRL and profile numerous times. I have installed the latest system updates, factory reset. Nothing permanently fixes it thus far.

I was having/have this issue as well, but seems to only happen when I have been on Wifi Calling and loose Wifi connection.

jfcooley

Jul 15, 2011
Charlottesville Va
I have this issue and it only happens when I have location toggled on.

I've redone profile etc, but as soon as location is turned on it re-appears.

al3azim

Jun 2, 2006
this happens to me occasionally as well. Not sure what is causing it. I normally toggle the "Mobile Data" on and off to get rid of it. It is at random times and not that often but it is annoying for sure

motoelliot

Nov 23, 2010
I noticed this today also. I toggled airplane mode but it keeps coming back...

rockywall

May 30, 2008
I also have an S8 from Sam's with this same issue, as well as 2 G6's that i purchased from Sprint's web site that constantly drop data connection. Tried all kinds of settings changes, including changing bands, carrier aggregation, reset network, sim pull, etc and currently have a ticket open with the "network team". I have an S6 on the account also that has been upgraded to Android 7. It has no issues at all. Also, the issues seem to only happen in LTE only areas, I have been to an LTE-Plus area twice and the phone maintained a constant connection. That makes me think this is related to HPUE. BTW, the G6 will stay connected for 10 seconds on lte, then lose all data connection for 15 seconds, then repeat. I have watched and timed this behavior with a stop watch for close to 30 minutes, while moving and standing still.

rockywall

May 30, 2008

RilNotifier

Are you in an LTE-Plus area?

njdan30

Jul 6, 2011
palmyra
I also have an S8 from Sam's with this same issue, as well as 2 G6's that i purchased from Sprint's web site that constantly drop data connection. Tried all kinds of settings changes, including changing bands, carrier aggregation, reset network, sim pull, etc and currently have a ticket open with the "network team". I have an S6 on the account also that has been upgraded to Android 7. It has no issues at all. Also, the issues seem to only happen inLTE only areas, I have been to an LTE-Plus area twice and the phone maintained a constant connection. That makes me think this is related to HPUE. BTW, the G6 will stay connected for 10 seconds on lte, then lose all data connection for 15 seconds, then repeat. I have watched and timed this behavior with a stop watch for close to 30 minutes, while moving and standing still.
Dial ##scrtn# I'm on my second s8 plus both have same issue

njdan30

Jul 6, 2011
palmyra
Already have, twice.
Sucks it's just a temp fix I noticed after I use WiFi at home then goto service area I med to dial it every time on this over priced p.o.s. my s7 edge iPhone 6 plus and 5 other phones have zero issue just my s8 plus. They thought it was a defected antenna which I figured it wasn't, I tried dialing ##omadm# and changing to sprint development mode which phone wouldn't activate only in production mode would it work, also seems to only be the phone I got thru mail without a set msl this one is 000000 my other galaxies have sprint set msl

rockywall

May 30, 2008
I am not sure how to tell if an area has LTE Plus, but I live in SW Virginia and went 3 hours away for a couple days to Richmond and had no issues. So, it's definitely the network in certain areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am also in SW VA, and after speaking to a few stores, one mentioned that it has something to do with the nTelos merger. I have to use 3G from Roanoke to Danville on a daily basis. even though it is fairly solid LTE coverage.

If you look at Sprint's coverage map, LTE Plus is a darker color. Richmond and Norfolk/Hampton Roads area are Plus.

I am also in SW VA, and after speaking to a few stores, one mentioned that it has something to do with the nTelos merger. I have to use 3G from Roanoke to Danville on a daily basis. even though it is fairly solid LTE coverage.

If you look at Sprint's coverage map, LTE Plus is a darker color. Richmond and Norfolk/Hampton Roads area are Plus.
I have assumed it was something to do with nTelos. I live in Roanoke and work in Christiansburg. The issue is in both places. Follow my instructions in my OP with the dialer code and your LTE will work fine, just have to do it anytime you restart your phone. No need to suffer on 3G.

TheFugg

May 14, 2017
I doubt it has anything to do with nTelos. I live in Michigan and I get the same issue with my s8 plus and whatever nTelos is, we don't have it.

rockywall

May 30, 2008
I doubt it has anything to do with nTelos. I live in Michigan and I get the same issue with my s8 plus and whatever nTelos is, we don't have it.

nTelos was a regional carrier in VA, WV, NC, OH, MD. They were purchased by another local company, Shentel, that operates under Sprint. They are not an MVNO though, they sell Sprint branded phones and service. And all the stores changed to Sprint branding. It could be a different regional carrier from your area, This merger happened a over a year ago and that is when we started getting LTE service. I think the merged network is not capable of dealing with HPUE. That is the common denominator with the G6 and S8.

GregCarter304

May 14, 2017
Galaxy S8 plus and S8 same error

So if I understand all these comments correctly, there is still no resolution to this? I live in Huntington Wv and yes we did have nTelos. I have 2 S8+ and 1 S8 all get this error. I have a ticket in for the network team but I'm not holding my breath.

Outatime67

Mar 18, 2010
I am also having this issue. I've done ##72786# that seemed to fix it, but it's back. I change to CDME/LTE from automatic, and it still happens. I was about to do a factory reset. It's my only complaint with this device, otherwise I love it. I am in southwest PA. It seems to happen during cell tower hand offs like if I'm out driving. I just toggled data and the error went away.

Edit: I'm on the S8 Plus but I don't think that makes a difference.

I am also having this issue. I've done ##72786# that seemed to fix it, but it's back. I change to CDME/LTE from automatic, and it still happens. I was about to do a factory reset. It's my only complaint with this device, otherwise I love it. I am in southwest PA. It seems to happen during cell tower hand offs like if I'm out driving. I just toggled data and the error went away.
On my phone it starts doing it again after doing the dialer code only once I restart the phone. Is this your problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

RilNotifier

I guess Sprint made an adjustment to the network settings with the towers in my area. If you still have the issue maybe enough people haven't complained in your area.

Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Roaming-------Data roaming must be turned ON. Voice and text roaming was set to default on. But data was off.

I haven't had the problem for 2 weeks now. My work requires 2 trips 110 miles to north of me where there's no signal. I have to roam to use the phone. And i can use the internet now also. As i sit there for 30 minutes doing nothing. While my semi trailer empties out.

I've had that problem with every sprint phone I've had for the last few years. My s8 will be the first I've actually gotten rid of that error. Although i never looked on the older phones to see if that option was there.