Unable to Install any TWRP Image on my Nokia 6.1 (2018) - Getting Stuck on Splash Screen

Search This thread

mAnN14

Hi Team,

I have an spare Nokia 6.1 (2018) smartphone (Model # - TA -1089)) at my home which I wasn't using since 2-3 years.

Today, I got hands on it, and tried to use it for my development needs.

To begin with, I unlocked its boot-loader using this guide to unlock Nokia 6.1 (2018)
and within "Developer Options", I can see that the "OEM Unlocking" option reads - "Bootloader is already unlocked."

Now, as a next step, I am trying to install TWRP recovery, but nothing seems to be working. No matter which image I try, I get stuck on the TWRP splash screen.

I have tried TWRP Images from the following websites and many more:
  • TWRP.me
  • Get Droid Tips - Here when I click on the "Download" option, I get redirected to the "TWRP.me" website only, whose images are not working.
In addition, I have ensured that "ADB and Fastboot" + "Nokia USB Drivers" & other contingencies are properly installed on my system & are not the underlying issue.

1. I tried running the code
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    and my phone got stuck on the TWRP splash screen. Ultimately, I had to use OSA tool and flash the STOCK ROM to get my device working again.

2. Many websites suggested to simply boot the TWRP and so I used this command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    in the "Download" mode and then again, nothing happened and I got stuck on the TWRP splash screen.
Note: The only difference between above two commands being - my stock recovery worked fine after executing the 2nd command, and I could boot into my device without much trouble.

Here's my Device Overview:
  • Device Name - Nokia 6.1
  • Model & hardware = TA-1089
  • OS version - Android 10
  • Security Patch Level - May 1, 2020
  • Build Number - 00WW_4_15c

Can someone now please suggest where I could be going wrong?

What's my goal:
  • Root Nokia 6.1 & to be able to install Custom ROM's on Nokia 6.1 and use that device for development purposes
and in case anything goes wrong,
  • Flash the STOCK ROM again using OSA Tool and bring the device back to its current state.

Reactions: White_devil_04200

mAnN14

Join this
In this a twrp mod version is updated
And also a full guide

Give q chack
Am here

Hi @White_devil_04200

Thank you for redirecting me to this Telegram channel.
However, let me share that - On the channel, I found "twrp-3.3.1-1-PL2.img" listed as the TWRP image that works.

The conflict is that - I downloaded this version only from multiple sites & after flashing it, got stuck on TWRP splash screen. I had to use OSA tool to reflash Android OS & restore the stock recovery.

And, when I ran the code -
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img
, then also I got stuck on the splash screen, but was able to reboot into the OS successfully.

Note: Also, I tried switching the slots too (from 'a' to 'b' or vice versa') but then also, nothing worked for me.

I hope you get my problem, and would now assist me accordingly.

Bảo Dora

Sep 20, 2017
Trà Vinh
this is how i use twrp on nokia 6 2018 (since i unlocked it):
1. connect my phone with download mode to my pc:
2. run 2 code lines:
fastboot boot twrp.img
3. and done.
The only disadvantage of this way is that every time I go to twrp, I have to run those 2 code lines with my pc. Still, it worked (at least for me).
You can try my twrp version.

Attachments

• twrp.img
    41.4 MB · Views: 367

mAnN14

2. run 2 code lines:
fastboot boot twrp.img
3. and done.
The only disadvantage of this way is that every time I go to twrp, I have to run those 2 code lines with my pc. Still, it worked (at least for me).

Thanks @Bảo Dora for sharing your TWRP file and for the instructions.
I was finally able to boot into TWRP (used another file, of course), and then successfully get "root" access on my device.

Also, I read that if you execute the command:

you shall permanently install TWRP on your device, which may or may not be the first preference of many users.

Having said that, am glad that it worked out for you. However, I still prefer to use just the "boot" command to avoid changing my stock recovery.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers,
Manu

Machi007

Aug 4, 2017
For potential readers of this thread, I would like to explain one thing here.

"fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" does NOT change your stock recovery on Nokia 6.1. Because this phone has "A/B system updates" and due to that the recovery RAM disk is now contained in the boot.img file. So Nokia 6.1 has not recovery partition so if you execute the "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command it only shows an error message and nothing is changed on your device.

Common issue on Nokia 6.1 is that when you execute only this one command "fastboot boot twrp.img" then it stucks on androidone logo.
But for some special reason, if you execute "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" and then "fastboot boot twrp.img" it successfully boots into TWRP recovery.
Really there is nothing to worry about. This procedure is safe and really works.

AndreaMariaBono

Sep 9, 2022
Thanks @Bảo Dora for sharing your TWRP file and for the instructions.
I was finally able to boot into TWRP (used another file, of course), and then successfully get "root" access on my device.

Also, I read that if you execute the command:

you shall permanently install TWRP on your device, which may or may not be the first preference of many users.

Having said that, am glad that it worked out for you. However, I still prefer to use just the "boot" command to avoid changing my stock recovery.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers,
Manu
Hi,

which file did you use at the end? i have the same problem..

sayanmitra753

Apr 18, 2016
Realme 8
2. run 2 code lines:
fastboot boot twrp.img
3. and done.
I accidentally found a way to permanently install twrp on nokia 6.1..you don't have to temp boot it every time 😃

• Haha
Reactions: MricCall

N0t3xx_A

Mar 8, 2023
Hello,

i have nearly the same problem atm.

I successfully unlocked the device.

When i do to 'fastboot boot twrp.img' in 8 of 10 cases it stucks on Android One screen but sometimes it stucks at twrp boot screen.
I have tried multible twrp versions for Nokia 6.1 PL2.

I also tried 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img' but here comes a adb error that says:

Sending 'recovery' (38592 KB) OKAY [ 1.064s]
Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: '(recovery_a) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed

On Galaxy S6 this works fine for installing permanently but here i event cant boot into twrb.

Any advices pls?

JMailuhu

Dec 3, 2010
Netherlands
Hello,

i have nearly the same problem atm.

I successfully unlocked the device.

When i do to 'fastboot boot twrp.img' in 8 of 10 cases it stucks on Android One screen but sometimes it stucks at twrp boot screen.
I have tried multible twrp versions for Nokia 6.1 PL2.

I also tried 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img' but here comes a adb error that says:

Sending 'recovery' (38592 KB) OKAY [ 1.064s]
Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: '(recovery_a) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed

On Galaxy S6 this works fine for installing permanently but here i event cant boot into twrb.

Any advices pls?
"fastboot flash boot recovery.img" and reboot into recover using Vol+ & Power.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023
Hi Team,

I have an spare Nokia 6.1 (2018) smartphone (Model # - TA -1089)) at my home which I wasn't using since 2-3 years.

To begin with, I unlocked its boot-loader using this guide to unlock Nokia 6.1 (2018)
and within "Developer Options", I can see that the "OEM Unlocking" option reads - "Bootloader is already unlocked."

Now, as a next step, I am trying to install TWRP recovery, but nothing seems to be working. No matter which image I try, I get stuck on the TWRP splash screen.

• TWRP.me
  • Get Droid Tips - Here when I click on the "Download" option, I get redirected to the "TWRP.me" website only, whose images are not working.
In addition, I have ensured that "ADB and Fastboot" + "Nokia USB Drivers" & other contingencies are properly installed on my system & are not the underlying issue.

Code:
    and my phone got stuck on the TWRP splash screen. Ultimately, I had to use OSA tool and flash the STOCK ROM to get my device working again.

Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    in the "Download" mode and then again, nothing happened and I got stuck on the TWRP splash screen.
Note: The only difference between above two commands being - my stock recovery worked fine after executing the 2nd command, and I could boot into my device without much trouble.

What's my goal:
  • Root Nokia 6.1 & to be able to install Custom ROM's on Nokia 6.1 and use that device for development purposes
  • Flash the STOCK ROM again using OSA Tool and bring the device back to its current state.
Nokia 6.1 is using a/b partitioning so your cart flash it to recovery partition. I had this same problem with twrp 3.3.1.0, so try twrp 3.4.0.0

Attachments

• twrp-3.4.0-0-PL2_sprout-11.0-20200909.img
    41.4 MB · Views: 33

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Team,

• TWRP.me

Code:

Code:
      fastboot boot twrp.img

What's my goal:
    2. run 2 code lines:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    3. and done.
    I accidentally found a way to permanently install twrp on nokia 6.1..you don't have to temp boot it every time 😃
    Nokia 6.1 is using a/b partitioning so your cart flash it to recovery partition. I had this same problem with twrp 3.3.1.0, so try twrp 3.4.0.0
    Thank you for your inputs, but I was able to root Nokia 6.1 long back.

I have kept the dev files handy, in case I want to re-flash the STOCK ROM or Root the device again.