Question Unable to mount storage when trying to ADB sideload

Search This thread

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
I can't install any rom, ADB sideload fails with this error:

Unable to mount storage.
Devices on super may not mount until rebooting recovery.
To flash additional zips, please reboot recovery to switch to the updated slot.

I already tried to switch the slots many times.
I also tried to format data, but it tells me:

E: unable to check merge status
Updating partition details...
...done
Unable to mount storage

I can access the recovery and the factory-reset android, but i can't do anything more.
I think the problem is relative to encryption but I can't even format data, so I don't know how to escape this...

Last edited:

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
Now I can't even access the rom, I can only access TWRP and fastboot. The problem is that format data does not work, with the same error:

E: unable to check merge status

I tried repairing and changing filesystem, now I don't really know what to do...

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
Ok, i installed CrDroid with fastboot tool, then format data and then re-flashed the rom with adb, but the phone starts just on the CrDroid recovery (slot b) or on fastboot (slot a)...

What is the correct process to install a ROM? This A/B thing gets me mad

Last edited:

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
Now I managed to install an old MIUI fastboot rom from this link with XiaomiADBFastbootTools (a kind of mi flash tool for linux) and this rom now it is working, so I think I had some problems with the fastboot tool you suggested. But I don't really know what was the problem, the installation process seemed to work, It restarted to recovery, I rebooted to system but then it kept returning to recovery or to fastboot without entering in the system...

Last edited:

StaryMuz

Dec 27, 2012
Switching slots directly in recovery is not functional. Just look after switching what the active slot is and you will see that it has not changed. Do the slot switching with the fastboot command from the PC.
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
Switching slots directly in recovery is not functional. Just look after switching what the active slot is and you will see that it has not changed. Do the slot switching with the fastboot command from the PC.
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b

yes, I was using these commands to switch slots. but when it is necessary to switch slots in the flashing process? I mean, what is the correct order? format - flash rom with adb - reboot to fastboot - switch slot - reboot to system...is this correct?

StaryMuz

Dec 27, 2012
Slot swapping may not be required. Do it only when it is requested or when the boot crashes into recovery.

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
Now I have a problem with fastboot...I don't know why but it can't boot any recovery...

"fastboot boot recovery.img" remains stuck at:

Sending 'boot.img' (131072 KB)

and nothing happens! I tried with TWRP and OrangeFox.

I also tried to change slot but it fails:

fastboot --set-active=a
Setting current slot to 'a' FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed

The command 'Fastboot reboot' gives me a black screen with a white message: 'any key to shutdown', then the phone reboots to system...

Last edited:

StaryMuz

Dec 27, 2012
I think the best step is to upload the original Miui using MiFlash with the "clear all" setting.
Use this version of MiFlash.
You can get the right Miui here.
Before using MiFlash, I recommend loading the boot.img included in the downloaded Miui into your phone in fastboot mode.
Use the command:
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

Then use MiFlash and don't play Miui. Wait until the phone starts itself, then you can disconnect it.
If anything is not clear, ask questions.

Ksemaraja

May 29, 2021
I think the best step is to upload the original Miui using MiFlash with the "clear all" setting.
Use this version of MiFlash.
You can get the right Miui here.
Before using MiFlash, I recommend loading the boot.img included in the downloaded Miui into your phone in fastboot mode.
Use the command:
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

Then use MiFlash and don't play Miui. Wait until the phone starts itself, then you can disconnect it.
If anything is not clear, ask questions.

Actually I'm already in a original MIUI and it is working. My pc is on linux so I can't use MiFlash but I used XiaomiADBFastbootTools (a kind of MiFlash tool for linux). Can I start from here or I have to install the MIUI version you linked?

The only thing is that I didn't specifically load the boot.img

StaryMuz

Dec 27, 2012
Unfortunately I don't know the Linux version of MiFlash. They may not work equivalently. It needs to properly clean all the partitions of the phone and load all the files supplied in the ROM.
I recommend to use the Miui listed by me.