Question Unable to send files via USB

Search This thread

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
Hello.
I want to transfer files from Windows to Pixel 7 via USB but unfortunately I can't. When I set MTP/PTP on my phone it start disconnecting and connecting endlessly (I hear the sound from Windows).
There are two devices in Devices Manager that seems to be associated with Pixel: Android Composite ADB Interface (listed as Android Device, not LeMobile) and so-called "external Bluetooth device" (deleted it many times, it appears automatically when phone is plugged). However Pixel is listed as Unknown device in "Devices and Printers".
I have USB-C male to male cable only. I don't have USB-A to USB-C cable so I can't test it. And I don't want to buy any new cables just to see the issue is still present.
Tested the USB-C port in my laptop to check if it doesn't support file transfer - it worked on another cable with my old phone.
Tested the USB-C port in Pixel - I managed to transfer files from old phone to Pixel via USB cable so it's working as well.
Same effect with cable added to phone and the bought one.
Tried to manually remove & install Google USB drivers, ADB etc. - only ADB seems working.
Any tips?

Last edited:

dexlemaffo

Sep 3, 2014
Rabat
Hello.
I want to transfer files from Windows to Pixel 7 via USB but unfortunately I can't. When I set MTP/PTP on my phone it start disconnecting and connecting endlessly (I hear the sound from Windows).
There are two devices in Devices Manager that seems to be associated with Pixel: Android Composite ADB Interface (listed as Android Device, not LeMobile) and so-called "external Bluetooth device" (deleted it many times, it appears automatically when phone is plugged). However Pixel is listed as Unknown device in "Devices and Printers".
I have USB-C male to male cable only. I don't have USB-A to USB-C cable so I can't test it. And I don't want to buy any new cables just to see the issue is still present.
Tested the USB-C port in my laptop to check if it doesn't support file transfer - it worked on another cable with my old phone.
Tested the USB-C port in Pixel - I managed to transfer files from old phone to Pixel via USB cable so it's working as well.
Same effect with cable added to phone and the bought one.
Tried to manually remove & install Google USB drivers, ADB etc. - only ADB seems working.
Any tips?

Airdroid. No need for a cable. :)

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
When you put the USB mode to "No data transfer" does it still disconnect on you?
(You still should have the ADB working. Try adb shell and a bunch of ls -l)
If the MTP makes it stutter it could be a problem with MTP or simply that MTP does more traffic and is uncovering lower level problems.

manjaroid

Jun 25, 2019
...There are two devices in Devices Manager that seems to be associated with Pixel: Android Composite ADB Interface (listed as Android Device, not LeMobile) and so-called "external Bluetooth device" (deleted it many times, it appears automatically when phone is plugged). However Pixel is listed as Unknown device in "Devices and Printers".
When you're connected to Windows over the USB cable and the phone is in Fastboot Mode, is the Android Bootloader Interface driver listed in Device Manager? If not, replace what's listed under Android with Google's USB driver while still in Fastboot Mode, then reboot the phone. If Windows USB drivers are complete and the cable is good, you should only need to enable File transfer under Settings/Connected devices/USB to manage files between Windows and Android.

Last edited:

hammered58

When you're connected to Windows over the USB cable and the phone is in Fastboot Mode, is the Android Bootloader Interface driver listed in Device Manager? If not, replace what's listed under Android with Google's USB driver while still in Fastboot Mode, then reboot the phone. If Windows USB drivers are complete and the cable is good, you should only need to enable File transfer under Settings/Connected devices/USB to manage files between Windows and Android.
You could also check when your phone is connected to the pc,, under windows update, advanced option, view optional updates updates,, to see if there are any drivers it wants to install

Reactions: CyanFrank

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
When you put the USB mode to "No data transfer" does it still disconnect on you?
(You still should have the ADB working. Try adb shell and a bunch of ls -l)
No, phone is charging and debugging is enabled so that I see two notifications.
Tried the first command and phone started disconnecting just like with MTP enabled. ADB had stopped working.
When you're connected to Windows over the USB cable and the phone is in Fastboot Mode, is the Android Bootloader Interface driver listed in Device Manager?
It used to, but apparently I messed up with drivers while trying to solve the issue, so it's not working right now.
You could also check when your phone is connected to the pc,, under windows update, advanced option, view optional updates updates,, to see if there are any drivers it wants to install
Yeah I noticed LeMobile drivers are available to download. There is Android Composite ADB device listed as "LeMobile" but ADB still not fixed.
And it seems like I'm back to sqaure one because there's the very first issue I had: after choosing MTP on my phone all options become gray and it returns back to "only charging" after few seconds. Sometimes it even starts disconnecting/connecting.

Last edited:

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
Yeah it seems something is particularly wrong with my home PC because MTP works flawlessly with my work PC. Didn't have to install any drivers etc.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Do you have the latest windows platform tools installed?
That's a good thought but I'll bet it's a Windows driver. Happened to me some years ago and I had to manually install an .inf in the windows directory. So long ago but maybe something like wmf.inf not sure. I'll try to root around (no pun) see if I can find it again.

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
Do you have the latest windows platform tools installed?
Yes.
1669922582127.png

That's a good thought but I'll bet it's a Windows driver. Happened to me some years ago and I had to manually install an .inf in the windows directory. So long ago but maybe something like wmf.inf not sure. I'll try to root around (no pun) see if I can find it again.
Well if you mean wpdmtp.inf I tried to install it but not worked.
I'll just try clean installing Windows when I get a time.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yes.View attachment 5774787

Well if you mean wpdmtp.inf I tried to install it but not worked.
I'll just try clean installing Windows when I get a time.
That could be the one. If I recall correctly, I had to uninstall the driver that had the exclamation mark in device manager and then find the .inf file in win directory, right click it and install. But this was literally 5 years ago or close to it so perhaps it's dated. But that could be the one. I searched and there are a bunch of "solutions" out there and I hope you find the correct one before you have to reinstall the whole darn OS. I'll keep looking though. I was so frustrated by it I wanted to throw the laptop out the windows. lol. I still think it's one pesky driver.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I would grab VMWare Player and install Windows there honestly rather than reinstall Windows. Or grab a Linux distro ISO like Mint that comes with MTP drivers and will mount your Windows drive as read only and boot it from a USB stick. Sucks to completely reinstall Windows just to get MTP functionality.
At least I would try a USB A-C first. And the thing is it might not fix the problem with the reinstall. I'd fight this one tooth and nail until I figured it out. Damn drivers.

EtherealRemnant

At least I would try a USB A-C first. And the thing is it might not fix the problem with the reinstall. I'd fight this one tooth and nail until I figured it out. Damn drivers.
I mean I probably would do the same but if OP is already at the point of reinstalling Windows, I figured I would provide some less annoying options. Virtual machines have saved me immense amounts of frustration over the years and Player is phenomenal for something free of charge.

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
If I recall correctly, I had to uninstall the driver that had the exclamation mark in device manager and then find the .inf file in win directory, right click it and install. But this was literally 5 years ago or close to it so perhaps it's dated. But that could be the one.
Well, there's not any device with an exclamation mark. The thing is after I plug in the phone I can't see Pixel 7 in Device Manager - there is only "Android ADB Composite Interface". "Pixel 7" is visible in the tab on another PC though.
I would grab VMWare Player and install Windows there honestly rather than reinstall Windows. Or grab a Linux distro ISO like Mint that comes with MTP drivers and will mount your Windows drive as read only and boot it from a USB stick.
Yeah, actually didn't think about that, thanks. I'll give it a try when I get enough time.
At least I would try a USB A-C first. And the thing is it might not fix the problem with the reinstall.
As I said, I have no USB A-C cable that supports data transfer. But I'll borrow one to at least try.
And the thing is it might not fix the problem as well if drivers are screwed up.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Well, there's not any device with an exclamation mark. The thing is after I plug in the phone I can't see Pixel 7 in Device Manager - there is only "Android ADB Composite Interface". "Pixel 7" is visible in the tab on another PC though.
That's good and bad lol. Good because it won't try to auto reinstall an incorrect driver but bad because you can't really update it from device manager. As for the .inf driver wpdmtp.inf I believe is the older version that was replaced by winusb.inf. Have you tried to install either or both drivers via right click - install on the file name? That was the fix some time ago but as I said many moons.

CyanFrank

Apr 22, 2012
KB
That's good and bad lol. Good because it won't try to auto reinstall an incorrect driver but bad because you can't really update it from device manager. As for the .inf driver wpdmtp.inf I believe is the older version that was replaced by winusb.inf. Have you tried to install either or both drivers via right click - install on the file name? That was the fix some time ago but as I said many moons.
Yeah, I tried that as well.
And forgot to mention that I borrowed USB A-C cable and MTP actually worked. It's not as stable as it should be (sometimes it disconnects) but still it works.

Reactions: bobby janow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would grab VMWare Player and install Windows there honestly rather than reinstall Windows. Or grab a Linux distro ISO like Mint that comes with MTP drivers and will mount your Windows drive as read only and boot it from a USB stick. Sucks to completely reinstall Windows just to get MTP functionality.
    I mean I probably would do the same but if OP is already at the point of reinstalling Windows, I figured I would provide some less annoying options. Virtual machines have saved me immense amounts of frustration over the years and Player is phenomenal for something free of charge.
    Yeah, I tried that as well.
    And forgot to mention that I borrowed USB A-C cable and MTP actually worked. It's not as stable as it should be (sometimes it disconnects) but still it works.