Unable to unlock bootloader {RESOLVED}

Search This thread

bobcov

Aug 27, 2007
This is my first time posting on this forum, please do correct me if I'm doing something wrong or haven't provided some information I should have.

DEVICE: Redmi 4x (santoni) [Indian Version] running on MIUI 11.0.2 | Stable.

I've been trying to unlock to bootloader for this device for about a month but it always seem to run into some error while running the official miunlock tool (latest). Along with the offiicial tool i've been trying to use XioamiToolV2(latest) as well but sadly it throws the same errors

I've tried most of the suggestions dropped here on XDA as well as Reddit, but none of them seem to work for me.

error from mi unlock tool & xiaomitoolv2:
Please guide me through the process if there's something i could do.

I use windows 10 btw & required drivers are up to date.

PS: English is not my first language, please ignore grammatical errors
I'm just going to throw this out here in case my experience is useful. Win7 32 bit is my environment. Redmi Note 4 global "mido" is the phone. I did not take careful notes, unfortunately.

There are, as I see it, three obstacles: 1. Getting the SMS verification code in the MiUnlock tool, 2. Getting the phone seen by the Unlock tool and 3. Getting the tool to verify the phone once connected.

I changed my registration number to a Google voice number and used version 4.5.813.51 to be able to log in to the tool. Cookies apparently preserve this across other versions. It seems to me that a captcha dialog is missing from later versions, blocking SMS send. This version presented the captcha and the SMS arrived shortly afterwards.

After that, I noticed that in Device Manager, under Android device, there wasn't an android bootloader when the phone was in bootloader mode. Without this, the unlock tool may not see the phone. I clicked on the gear symbol and selected "click the button to install the drive" (they mean "drivers"). I still didnt get a bootloader device in device manager. To get that, I followed as best I could, instructions somewhere on XDA which i unfortunately did not bookmark. I ended up with a google version 8/28/2014 Version 11.0.0.0 bootloader device.

At this point, I closed version 4.5, used "adb reboot bootloader" command to put the phone into bootloader mode (prematurely, it turned out). I then launched Unlock version 6.5.406.31. No SMS check was required. The phone was seen and the unlock stopped because of "Couldn't verify phone," which I call Problem 3. I left the unlocker running and disconnected the phone. Reboot to normal, you may have to force it by holding the power button.

Problem 3: make sure your phone is ready before you connect it. The usual steps are outlined elsewhere, but I will repeat them: Additional settings, Developer Options: OEM Unlocking set to ON and then the tricky one--Mi Unlock Status.

On this one, you may need to logout of your Mi Account if you get a dialog indicating you cannot register. It will come up first with "Permissions required," you hit "Agree" and it then presents "Add account and device" and this is where it can get dicey. You need to have a SIM card inserted, WiFi turned OFF. If it doesn't like what it sees, it may advise you to re-login to the Mi Account. Just go out of developer options, logout, then log back in. After you log back in, go back to Mi Unlock Status and complete the dialog.

(I also at this point did the "Find my phone" procedure on i.mi.com because someone said their unlock went through after doing this. So I did find my phone and the steps which come next)

Once you complete this dialog, don't touch the phone except to proceed. Or be prepared to repeat these steps if you need to after getting everything else ready. Put the phone back into bootloader mode and reconnect it to the computer which still has miunlock running. At this point I hit "try again" and the phone unlocked.

Somebody on XDA steps through the bootloader driver installation and they say to choose "Xiaomi" on the left side of the dialog and then the bootloader on the right. I never saw Xiaomi on the left, only google and I selected the version 11.

That's all I've got.

Last edited:

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
Hi guys,
allow me to thank you and let me write some pices of information, how I came through. I tried every possible way to unlock my redmi 4x. The old tools have problems with login , the new ones didn´t work anymore. I also tried xiaomi bootloader unlock, it worked for xiaomi redi Note 10 and 8T, but not for redmi 4x santoni. The same with EDL point, nothing worked. Now I found this thread and have TO THANK YOU.
I did it so (shortened):
1) connect the xiaomi account and the phone. As I needed to unlock two redmi 4x, have to use two sim cards (they don´t et you to unlock more at a glance)
2) Logout the account from the phone
3) don´t login google/facebook accounts or so, let it be virgin
4) install miflash_unlock-en-6.5.406.31
5) as described above - connect/disconnect /re-connect the phone. I realized these facts: disconnect worked for the first phone at 50%, at the second one at about 35% (with 50% the green mark emerged). Re-connect after 99% showed up. At the first mobile I tried it like 10 times, the second one unlocked after the first try.
6) happy screenshot here:

1671480845553.png

Attachments

• 1671479641187.png
    1671479641187.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 13

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
I finally got to unlock my bootloader, can't wait to experiment more with it. If anyone wants to know the steps do let me know i'll make a separate thread for it. Vamos!
Please say the way how to do it because mine is not unlocking by disconnecting at 50% then reconnecting at 99%

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
Hi guys,
allow me to thank you and let me write some pices of information, how I came through. I tried every possible way to unlock my redmi 4x. The old tools have problems with login , the new ones didn´t work anymore. I also tried xiaomi bootloader unlock, it worked for xiaomi redi Note 10 and 8T, but not for redmi 4x santoni. The same with EDL point, nothing worked. Now I found this thread and have TO THANK YOU.
I did it so (shortened):
1) connect the xiaomi account and the phone. As I needed to unlock two redmi 4x, have to use two sim cards (they don´t et you to unlock more at a glance)
5) as described above - connect/disconnect /re-connect the phone. I realized these facts: disconnect worked for the first phone at 50%, at the second one at about 35% (with 50% the green mark emerged). Re-connect after 99% showed up. At the first mobile I tried it like 10 times, the second one unlocked after the first try.
6) happy screenshot here:

View attachment 5788683
bro mine is not working at 50%

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
Hi guys,
I did it so (shortened):
6) happy screenshot here
Do we need internet after login to unlock the phone?

Last edited:

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
@mi-saan Please help me tell me how did you do it mine is not unlocking by removing at 50% and connecting at 99%
or make a separate thread and tell how to do it recently mi 4x has started bootlooping due to miui

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
Do we need internet after login to unlock the phone?
Yes, you need the Internet. You should use the newest version of official xiaomi unlock tool, login with your acc number, not with your mobile phone number. I found out, that it is enough to wait until 30% or so. Thes pull out, wait until 99% put in and wait. If it doesnt work, repeat with unlock again. I also need three orvmore tryouts. But it works, should you have a problem, write again. Tomas

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
@mi-saan Please help me tell me how did you do it mine is not unlocking by removing at 50% and connecting at 99%
or make a separate thread and tell how to do it recently mi 4x has started bootlooping due to miui
If I got it corectly, the phone didnt start bootlooping due to unlocking!
Precursors are:
1) allow to unlock bootloader first in the settings for developers
2) pair your phone with your xiaomi account in the settings for developers
3) after that give it a try.

It unlocked at least 15 devices rhis way, it will wirk then, not to mention those I 7nlocked the normal way.

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
Yes, you need the Internet. You should use the newest version of official xiaomi unlock tool, login with your acc number, not with your mobile phone number. I found out, that it is enough to wait until 30% or so. Thes pull out, wait until 99% put in and wait. If it doesnt work, repeat with unlock again. I also need three orvmore tryouts. But it works, should you have a problem, write again. Tomas
Yes this worked

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
But now when I flash a custom ROM using twrp it shows error:-"this ROM is for "santoni" but this device is ."so I searched about this error and I found that we have to download notepad++ then extract the ROM and then open the folder Google folder then open updater script file in notepad ++ then we have to remove all lines before ui_print but when I did it showed the logo of the ROM showed up but then it asked for password when I inputted random password it tells to erase data and install again what to do?

Last edited:

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
But now when I flash a custom ROM using twrp it shows error:-"this ROM is for "santoni" but this device is ."so I searched about this error and I found that we have to download notepad++ then extract the ROM and then open the folder Google folder then open another file in notepad ++ then we have to remove all lines before system ui but when I did it showed the logo of the ROM showed up but then it asked for password when I inputted random password it tells to erase data and install again what to do?
BTW the ROM I tried to install was lineage os and pixel experience both didn't work

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
If I got it corectly, the phone didnt start bootlooping due to unlocking!
Precursors are:
1) allow to unlock bootloader first in the settings for developers
2) pair your phone with your xiaomi account in the settings for developers
3) after that give it a try.

It unlocked at least 15 devices rhis way, it will wirk then, not to mention those I 7nlocked the normal way.
Can you suggest a ROM with Android 12 for Redmi 4x to use as a daily driver

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
Can you suggest a ROM with Android 12 for Redmi 4x to use as a daily driver
To tell the truth, I didn't deal with installation of Android 8+ on the phone, because of hardware limitations. The latests 7.1/mi11 seems ok for me.
The Lineage OS and the similar, which I tested, drained the battery and I went back to the stock+root.
There is another thing to mention. On the rooted devices with Android (8)10+ you could have problems with hiding the root for internet banking apps. With Android 7.1 is it no problem to hide the root easily.
To the Miui ported. It was solved here on xda, try to look here.

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
But now when I flash a custom ROM using twrp it shows error:-"this ROM is for "santoni" but this device is ."so I searched about this error and I found that we have to download notepad++ then extract the ROM and then open the folder Google folder then open updater script file in notepad ++ then we have to remove all lines before ui_print but when I did it showed the logo of the ROM showed up but then it asked for password when I inputted random password it tells to erase data and install again what to do?
First thing to to with these experiments is to download the stock, just to be able to reflash it through mi flash tool or fastboot.
To erase data question before new flash is normal, don't worry.
One warning though. Don't play too much with repeated re-flashing. There are some HW limits. Some devices can severe/hard-brick after many re-flashs.

Kumar7873

Apr 29, 2022
First thing to to with these experiments is to download the stock, just to be able to reflash it through mi flash tool or fastboot.
To erase data question before new flash is normal, don't worry.
One warning though. Don't play too much with repeated re-flashing. There are some HW limits. Some devices can severe/hard-brick after many re-flashs.
But it doesn't work I can't flash anything it shows error 7:-this Rom is for "santoni" but this device is .

anglican007

Nov 14, 2017
But it doesn't work I can't flash anything it shows error 7:-this Rom is for "santoni" but this device is .
Kumar, you have to write more exactly. Do you flash over adb fastboot, recovery, or mi flash tool?
What are you flashing? Stock, Beta, custom rom?
Is your bootloader unlocked?
Is your phone soft/hard bricked in bootloop?

Top Liked Posts