Search This thread

CapAdamT

Jan 6, 2019
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So I'm trying to unlock my bootloader to root my phone with Magisk (which also patches VBmeta, which is important for me to do). Originally the OEM unlock option was not appearing in my phone's settings, but I fixed that with the date hack (set the phone's clock to 2022-05-01 instead of 2022-08-05). But now when I reboot into the first stage of download mode, the option to unlock the bootloader does not show up, it just has the option to reboot, enter download mode, or show the barcode. When I enter download mode, the KB status shows as ACTIVE. The CSC I'm using is BTU and I'm on the latest CVG2 firmware of Android 12 (OneUI 4.1).

Any ideas?

Zdrawko0o

Oct 11, 2018
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Make sure that USB debugging in developer options is enabled.
Turn off your device.
Hold volume up and down buttons and keep holding them.
While holding them, connect your smartphone to a PC using USB cable.
There will be a warning message.
"... to continue press volume up ..."
Don't just press volume up button, but keep holding it.

Last edited:

CapAdamT

Jan 6, 2019
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Make sure that USB debugging in developer options is enabled.
Turn off your device.
Hold volume up and down buttons and keep holding them.
While holding them, connect your smartphone to a PC using USB cable.
There will be a warning message.
"... to continue press volume up ..."
Don't just press volume up button, but keep holding it.
Yeah I do that and the unlock bootloader option doesn't show up. Pressing and holding volume up goes into download mode, as described in the original post...

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
Is the A526B (Snapdragon) as sold in the UK using BTU as the CSC considered a US device?
I'm assuming this question was asked because you weren't getting the option to unlock the bootloader in download mode. Probably the date code wasn't working properly. What I suggest doing is flashing stock firmware with Odin. Completely wipe the phone. Then when you're setting up the phone for the first time, connect to a WiFi network on the setup screen. I've noticed that sometimes OEM Unlock gets bugged when this is skipped and it seems that topjohnwu also caught on to this because he explicitly includes it in his installation instructions of Magisk

Quote from Magisk Installation on Samsung devices:

• Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again in later steps. Connect the device to Internet during the setup.

topjohnwu mentions Internet during the setup but I think it's worked for me better when I connect to a Wi-Fi network.

So after completely wiping the phone with Odin I suggest you connect to WiFi on setup and then check your developer settings again. Hopefully, OEM Unlock will be there without the need to do the date trick.

CapAdamT

Jan 6, 2019
Google Pixel 7 Pro
What I suggest doing is flashing stock firmware with Odin. Completely wipe the phone. Then when you're setting up the phone for the first time, connect to a WiFi network on the setup screen.
I actually tried that a while back... Had it connected to the internet using mobile data as well as WiFi, no luck. I'll try again in a few days time once my phone has been repaired by Samsung (warranty).

CapAdamT

Jan 6, 2019
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I actually tried that a while back... Had it connected to the internet using mobile data as well as WiFi, no luck. I'll try again in a few days time once my phone has been repaired by Samsung (warranty).
Well, that warranty repair took longer than expected. I can now report that I am still facing the same issue. I tried setting it back up while connected to WiFi (speed shouldn't be an issue, I get gigabit speeds and on WiFi I've seen 400mbps).

After checking the bit in the download mode menu, seeing that there is no `unlock bootloader` option, and then booting into Android again, the setting just disappears again, after having enabled it before shutting the phone down.

Any ideas?

benjmiester

Well, that warranty repair took longer than expected. I can now report that I am still facing the same issue. I tried setting it back up while connected to WiFi (speed shouldn't be an issue, I get gigabit speeds and on WiFi I've seen 400mbps).

After checking the bit in the download mode menu, seeing that there is no `unlock bootloader` option, and then booting into Android again, the setting just disappears again, after having enabled it before shutting the phone down.

Any ideas?

This is really strange, but I just wanted to add that I'm a U1 US variant owner that was just now looking into rooting and I came across this thread.... before even trying anything I'm already noticing I too have no OEM unlocking option in my dev settings. Really odd. I guess there's the very remote possibility my BL is already unlocked as I bought it used off eBay but I doubt it. I've run several OTAs so that seems very unlikely lol.

For me root is only desired to run Viper4Android so I'm not even 100% sure I want to bother with that now if it's going to be that steep an uphill battle.

---Edit--- Sorry, nevermind I'm dumb, the U1 Us models just aren't BL unlockable. Saw in another thread. All I want is root though, I don't need to flash roms or TWRP usage. Anyone know if that's still doable?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the A526B (Snapdragon) as sold in the UK using BTU as the CSC considered a US device?
    I'm assuming this question was asked because you weren't getting the option to unlock the bootloader in download mode. Probably the date code wasn't working properly. What I suggest doing is flashing stock firmware with Odin. Completely wipe the phone. Then when you're setting up the phone for the first time, connect to a WiFi network on the setup screen. I've noticed that sometimes OEM Unlock gets bugged when this is skipped and it seems that topjohnwu also caught on to this because he explicitly includes it in his installation instructions of Magisk

Quote from Magisk Installation on Samsung devices:

• Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again in later steps. Connect the device to Internet during the setup.

topjohnwu mentions Internet during the setup but I think it's worked for me better when I connect to a Wi-Fi network.

So after completely wiping the phone with Odin I suggest you connect to WiFi on setup and then check your developer settings again. Hopefully, OEM Unlock will be there without the need to do the date trick.
    All I want is root though, I don't need to flash roms or TWRP usage. Anyone know if that's still doable?
    That still needs an unlocked BL...
    I have the A526U (not U1) model. Is this still bootloader unlockable?
    It's not.