unable to unpack boot image

Search This thread

dito1189

Sep 11, 2016
I am installing magisk module on my oneplus x and am getting this error when it is flashing the error is
! Unable to unpack boot image

[email protected]

Mar 17, 2018
I am installing magisk module on my oneplus x and am getting this error when it is flashing the error is

Same here, but my problem is little more complicated as my Phone is Micromax Unite 2 A106 and I can't install Twrp on it so I am trying to Flash Magisk.zip through cwm recovery and getting an error unable to unpack boot.img

ChinTee96

May 9, 2019
Try patching the boot image with the Manager instead (instructions in the release thread), and then flash the patched image manually (through fastboot, recovery, etc).

And it's always a good idea to provide logs when reporting about issues/asking for help.

I also received this error when I was trying to uninstall magisk through the manager after enabling camera2api. What can I do? This is what I have gotten in the log file

- Copying zip to temp directory
- Installing uninstaller.zip
1022+1 records in
1022+1 records out
1047368 bytes (1022.8KB) copied, 0.005776 seconds, 172.9MB/s
Archive: /data/user/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/cache/install.zip
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
inflating: arm/magiskboot
inflating: chromeos/futility
inflating: chromeos/kernel.keyblock
inflating: chromeos/kernel_data_key.vbprivk
inflating: util_functions.sh
inflating: x86/magiskboot
inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
Magisk Uninstaller
- Current boot slot: _b
- Device is system-as-root
- Device platform: arm64
- Found target image:
- Unpacking boot image
open: failed with 2: No such file or directory
! Installation failed

[email protected]

Jan 2, 2021
Magisk manager is saying unable to unpack boot image while i am patching boot.img . So what to do. Please help me anyone

awesomeo3000

Dec 29, 2011
Magisk manager is saying unable to unpack boot image while i am patching boot.img . So what to do. Please help me anyone
I am having the same issue! I am trying to root my Pixel 6 and am following the exact instructions from https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/ and https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-sideload-install-android-app-apk/.

In magisk, when I get to the installation part and select the boot.img I unpacked from the Oriole factory image, I get the "unable to unpack boot image" error. Log is attached.

Attachments

• magisk_install_log_2021-11-14T02_21_56Z.log
    513 bytes · Views: 54

timonjean

Apr 10, 2022
please help me I have samsung galaxy A40 and I use magisk and boot.img.iz4 and show comments : unable to unpack boot image helpp.

SDKitten

Aug 18, 2022
Had this problem just fixed it, you need to manually unpack the rom file using SPD upgrade tool, once you do that the .pac file is decompressed and you gain access to the boot.img which can be patched.