Question Unable to update after rooting phone

Search This thread

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
I take it back... rebooted once more (probably not necessary) cleared Play Store data (not just cache) and it's certified now. Netflix still doesn't read our device as compatible, but that's no big deal. Just installed the APK from APK Mirror. Just glad Play Store shows certified.
I didn't know there was an issue with that part. Glad you solved it and potentially helped others. That's what we are all here for! :)

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
I'm curious. so for a brand new phone why are you guys rooting it? It is not loaded with bloat ware (at least as much as samsung fpr example.) there are no custom roms yet, and oneplus is pushing updates to fix bugs. I think I'll wait till custom roms show up and then consider rooting.
Are you serious dude? No offense but I don't think you understand what rooting can do for the phone. Completely removes ads, allows better sound audio like viper for Android, allows to properly debloat annoying apps, allows access deeper into the phone to fix things that can save battery life and performance. It allows you to fix things that are F'd and allows apps to have way more functionality. OEMs do not have your best interest at heart. Rooting allows you to have more control, performance, usability, and power in your phone.

TPXX

Mar 19, 2008
I started rooting on the original Samsung Galaxy S. I'm aware of what can be done. My question was for a phone that is brand new and apparently buggy, why the rush? I get some people just want to do it and thats fine. Asking if there are specific reasons is not a big deal, it might educate me and make me choose to do to it sooner if the reason is compelling.

Levi4cyber

Apr 26, 2018
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm on the 11.2.4.4LE15AA (global), and rooted with magisk, when I try updating to 11.2.5.5 I get the mentioned error. What are the steps I need to do?

I root only for Viper4android but I'd like to unroot and relock bootloader again if it means I can get the updates.

I never reverse this process though. What are the best steps?
Just flash the Eu from oxygen updater app. Use local upgrade option in system update setting and select the file. Let it do it's thing don't reboot. Go into magisk manager before rebooting and select install to other slot let it do it's thing then reboot from magisk prompt

Andrew8578

Apr 2, 2021
I'm on the 11.2.4.4LE15AA (global), and rooted with magisk, when I try updating to 11.2.5.5 I get the mentioned error. What are the steps I need to do?
go to magisk
uninstall magisk
restore images (do not reboot)
try to download and install the update again, (do not reboot)
go back to magisk
install
install to Inactive slot (after OTA)
let's go
and then reboot

With this method, you'll have 11.2.5.5 without losing root. Hope this helps

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Why do I feel like im the only one who doesn't have "Install to Inactive slot(after OTA). Still haven't be able to gain that back after 3 Magisk Updates. Tried downgrading Magisk to 20.4, however it sees an update and installs that first.

Flying Fox

Dec 21, 2010
Vienna
OnePlus 9 Pro
Why do I feel like im the only one who doesn't have "Install to Inactive slot(after OTA). Still haven't be able to gain that back after 3 Magisk Updates. Tried downgrading Magisk to 20.4, however it sees an update and installs that first.
I had the same issue. Followed the instructions on the Oneplus 9 forum and did not type fastboot boot.... but fastboot flash boot...
To be honest, there's a lot I don't understand. So I'm just following all the useful information in this community. In any case, this step solved the problem for me. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I mean, not that you brick your phone. Maybe someone else here can confirm that. But I have tried a long time and a lot. This is how it finally worked.

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I had the same issue. Followed the instructions on the Oneplus 9 forum and did not type fastboot boot.... but fastboot flash boot...
To be honest, there's a lot I don't understand. So I'm just following all the useful information in this community. In any case, this step solved the problem for me. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I mean, not that you brick your phone. Maybe someone else here can confirm that. But I have tried a long time and a lot. This is how it finally worked.
I don't have an issue updating phone as I'm currently on 11.2.5.5. It is just a longer process to update and re-root. It wouldn't have to be if "Install to Inactive slot (after OTA) was there in the menu.

Flying Fox

Dec 21, 2010
Vienna
OnePlus 9 Pro
I don't have an issue updating phone as I'm currently on 11.2.5.5. It is just a longer process to update and re-root. It wouldn't have to be if "Install to Inactive slot (after OTA) was there in the menu.
Neither did I. Until I flashed the patched boot.img instead of booting. I also couldn´t "install to inactive slot" before. Magisk app didn´t show me that "possibliity". As I said I followed the instructions in the Oneplus 9 forum. Maybe a solution, but not sure as I´m no developer...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm curious. so for a brand new phone why are you guys rooting it? It is not loaded with bloat ware (at least as much as samsung fpr example.) there are no custom roms yet, and oneplus is pushing updates to fix bugs. I think I'll wait till custom roms show up and then consider rooting.
    Are you serious dude? No offense but I don't think you understand what rooting can do for the phone. Completely removes ads, allows better sound audio like viper for Android, allows to properly debloat annoying apps, allows access deeper into the phone to fix things that can save battery life and performance. It allows you to fix things that are F'd and allows apps to have way more functionality. OEMs do not have your best interest at heart. Rooting allows you to have more control, performance, usability, and power in your phone.
    go to magisk
    uninstall magisk
    restore images (do not reboot)
    try to download and install the update again, (do not reboot)
    go back to magisk
    install
    install to Inactive slot (after OTA)
    let's go
    and then reboot

With this method, you'll have 11.2.5.5 without losing root. Hope this helps
    Hello,

I received my oneplus 9 pro (global) the other day, and it's been working great. I rooted it no problem with a boot image I found on xda, and patched it using magisk manager. However, whenever I try to download the newest update, it fails every time. The first time it says that it's paused, and that it will continue whenever you press resume. I press resume, and then it says a problem occurred.

I tried to delete the .OTA folder, but it's no where to be found. I also tried to factory reset, as well as flashing the unpatched boot image, but it did not work.

Here's the link as to where I found the global boot image

if it is not the right version, or if there's a way to restore the original boot image, please let me know!
    To those following, I worked with bulletbling and managed to extract the original AA stock boot image for OOS 11.2 that the phone shipped with. After flashing it he was able to complete the OTA successfully. He'll post it shortly for others to benefit.
    Same here, was literally just googling for help.
    As far as I know, you can't take an OTA (incremental update) with either an unlocked bootloader or root. Not sure which of these is the actual culprit. I'm on the Global version (AA) and just flashed the full BA update. All is working well, only downside is that Dolby Atmos doesn't have the equalizer on the EU (BA) version. Everything else including 5G is working as it should, just like on previous versions of the OnePlus devices I've had (3T, 5, 6T, 7Pro and 8Pro).