• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Unable to update after unlocking bootloader & rooting

Search This thread

iiiSpace

Jan 16, 2019
Anyone else not able to update via OTA after unlocking and rooting? The updater just crashes on applying update step 3 of 4. And if so is there any way to get the updates back, even if it means losing root?

sdbolt

Oct 23, 2020
San Diego
Anyone else not able to update via OTA after unlocking and rooting? The updater just crashes on applying update step 3 of 4. And if so is there any way to get the updates back, even if it means losing root?

Sorry for the off-topic reply, but you were able to unlock the bootloader easily on a Verizon device? Or are you outside of the USA? Thank you.

sdbolt

Oct 23, 2020
San Diego
No problem, I'm outside of the US. But there are some guides online that might help.

Ok thank you. I have been looking around and I have not yet found someone who has been successful in unlocking the bootloader on their Verizon Moto Edge+ in USA. I will keep searching.

Hope you find the solution to your problem.

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
Hmm, this looks promising. Just bought an unlocked S10 (Snapdragon) and will be returning it since it cannot be rooted. Thinking of grabbing the unlocked version of this phone to use on T mobile. It is the same price as what I paid for the S10, so I would only be out the $50 restocking fee. I need root, Adaway, and of course Viper4Android. As of right now, my old rooted Galaxy S4 with Viper4Android absolutely KILLS the S10 in the audio department.

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
Ok thank you. I have been looking around and I have not yet found someone who has been successful in unlocking the bootloader on their Verizon Moto Edge+ in USA. I will keep searching.

Hope you find the solution to your problem.

I went on moto site, looks like the only one available is the Verizon variant. That's fine, I have Verizon, but I need root. Any luck?

iiiSpace

Jan 16, 2019
Does this work for the regular Edge?

Wouldn't this reset Android forcing me to reinstall all apps again?
Yes and yes, but there's an easier way.

When an OTA update arrives uninstall magisk (this is only temporary)
Install the OTA and make sure to not restart
Go back to magisk and install but select install to inactive slot (After OTA)
Now you can restart and you're done!

Here's the guide where I got this from

Reactions: Heat84

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
When I tried to restore the back up image for the uninstall step, it says "Stock backup does not exist". Where can I get a stock boot image? Does it have to be Racer xt2063-2 or can it be xt2063-3. This page has variants of xt2063-3, but the Google drives they're stored on have "reached their quotas" so you can't download the images. Those images being stored on a Google drive has me suspicious of motostockrom.com.

What are the variants about? That site not explaining that also makes me suspicious.

Edit: l found a stock boot image here. What is the name of the file Magisk needs to see and where do I put it?

Last edited:

5eroD4y

Jul 9, 2020
Hmm, this looks promising. Just bought an unlocked S10 (Snapdragon) and will be returning it since it cannot be rooted. Thinking of grabbing the unlocked version of this phone to use on T mobile. It is the same price as what I paid for the S10, so I would only be out the $50 restocking fee. I need root, Adaway, and of course Viper4Android. As of right now, my old rooted Galaxy S4 with Viper4Android absolutely KILLS the S10 in the audio department.
How is that unlocked Edge+ working for you on TMobile?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does this work for the regular Edge?

Wouldn't this reset Android forcing me to reinstall all apps again?
    Yes and yes, but there's an easier way.

When an OTA update arrives uninstall magisk (this is only temporary)
    Install the OTA and make sure to not restart
    Go back to magisk and install but select install to inactive slot (After OTA)
    Now you can restart and you're done!

Here's the guide where I got this from