• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unable to update via Odin3 v.3.14 - "Secure fail check : (Bootloader)"

Search This thread

AvNxDa

Sep 24, 2021
I have a several months old s10e, which turned to have no updates (Android 10, UI 2.0, security patch level March 2020(!) although was bought around April 2021). Not even an available "check for updates" button, anywhere. This is some real downer here, with Samsung semi-Android OS. I'm dealing with this issue for several weeks now, when I expected to simply update my device via OTAs.
Also verified with local Samsung service, according to IMEI, should be Android 11.

Anyway, as I found here,

I've downloaded the correct firmware from Sammobile:

Avner_0-1631462718320.png

and followed the instructions: https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/themes/sammobile-6/assets/static/instructions-fw-5file.pdf

During flash on Odin3 v3.14, process get stuck at "recovery.img" while on device's screen, "Secure fail check : (Bootloader)" is writen on red;

Avner_1-1631462912169.png

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-24 at 08.03.55.jpeg

with no process bar shown on phone's screen. Next four lines happen when I exit "Download Mode". Tried different USB port, different cable, one prior firmware version (July 2021 release instead of Sep 2021) etc. Many times, same results.

BTW, "Download Mode" model (product name) and "about phone" model number are different: SM-G970N on "Download Mode" upper left corner of the screen (see image above), SM-G970F on "about phone" model number. Could it be that I've downloaded the wrong firmware (one shown under "about" menu)?

Checked "Phone info plus" app, I see that phone model (G970F, Israel) is different than CSC product code (G970N, Vietnam).
Screenshot_20210923-191426.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-191457.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-191511.jpg

I've sent the device to a lab (warranty service). It was returned after over a week, with the exact same status + factory reset. I'm furious.
Do I have a 970F or 970N device?! Which exact firmware should I download\upload?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

AvNxDa

Sep 24, 2021
Your device is N and therefore will only accept N firmware
Thanks for the super-fast reply!

Can you please tell me which one should I look for on SamMobile.com, i.e. which country should I look for?

And - would it be a problem, trying to install N firmware while the device is (for some reason) defined as an F under device model (about menu)? Why is there such a discrepancy?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN

Can you please tell me which one should I look for on SamMobile.com, i.e. which country should I look for?

And - would it be a problem, trying to install N firmware while the device is (for some reason) defined as an F under device model (about menu)? Why is there such a discrepancy?
1. Doesn't matter which country you choose

2. No, it won't be a problem. There's a discrepancy because the device was rooted and modified to look like an F model

Reactions: AvNxDa

AvNxDa

Sep 24, 2021

2. No, it won't be a problem. There's a discrepancy because the device was rooted and modified to look like an F model
Thanks again, I'll try and hope for the best..

About 2, if the device was rooted to look like an F model, will it change anything else (for an example - carrier related issues due to not looking like F anymore)? Is there a potential risk with "changing it back to N"? Why was it reasonable to modify it to look like an F at the first place?

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN

About 2, if the device was rooted to look like an F model, will it change anything else (for an example - carrier related issues due to not looking like F anymore)? Is there a potential risk with "changing it back to N"? Why was it reasonable to modify it to look like an F at the first place?
You always take a risk, every time that you purchase a used device. You can't inherently damage the device by re-flashing the official stock firmware. But a used device is never guaranteed to work the way you want it to, and it carries no warranty. So you'll just have to do the flash and then try it and see what happens

I have no idea why it was reasonable. You would have to ask the person that you got it from

Reactions: AvNxDa

AvNxDa

Sep 24, 2021
You always take a risk, every time that you purchase a used device. You can't inherently damage the device by re-flashing the official stock firmware. But a used device is never guaranteed to work the way you want it to, and it carries no warranty. So you'll just have to do the flash and then try it and see what happens

I have no idea why it was reasonable. You would have to ask the person that you got it from
Actually, it is not a used device, at least for the best of my knowledge.. I've bought it as a new device, although not from the local official importer. You say that this rooting and model modification means that the device is used?
IMG-20210925-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Actually, it is not a used device, at least for the best of my knowledge.. I've bought it as a new device, although not from the local official importer. You say that this rooting and model modification means that the device is used?
Samsung (nor any other manufacturer) does not sell rooted and modified devices. So yes, of course it is used. The S10e is more than 2 years old anyways, so it would be almost impossible to find one that is still brand new sealed in the box

ArnysI

Aug 20, 2021
Samsung (nor any other manufacturer) does not sell rooted and modified devices. So yes, of course it is used. The S10e is more than 2 years old anyways, so it would be almost impossible to find one that is still brand new sealed in the box
well. where i live there are operators who still sell them brand new, but only difference, if i bought it 3 jears back for 490, now price are 700, so ridiculous!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've sent the device to a lab (warranty service). It was returned after over a week, with the exact same status + factory reset. I'm furious.
    Do I have a 970F or 970N device?! Which exact firmware should I download\upload?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Your device is N and therefore will only accept N firmware