Unable to upload files in chrome/firefox using files app in Android 11 (Miui 12.5)

Search This thread

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
Yesterday I UPDATED my 10T from android 10 to android 11 (MIUI 12.5 RJDINXM). Today I tried to send some files through wetransfer, but was unable to upload it. When I click upload in chrome, it gives me only three options:
Camera, Camera and Files while I have three different file explorers installed. In Files (com.google.android.documentsui) , I choose one or multiple files, click select, and nothing happens. Files UI closes and nothing starts uploading. This was working perfectly in android 10. Also, the uploads are working in Google drive from the same app.

Previously when I updated my phone to MIUI 12.1 (also android 11), I was facing the same problem. So i downgraded to android 10.

I am even not able to attach the screen-record here. So, uploaded to youtube:

Update:
I just found that I am unable to share files directly too. If I share a file from an app e.g. Josh to WhatsApp, it says file format not supported like in the following video.:

Last edited:

OfflineAndrew

Jul 6, 2021
I'm also having the same problem with my Redmi Note 9 Pro running 12.0.1.0 (RJZEUXM)

It's really frustrating!

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
Hey, facing the same issue on my poco x3.

Got any solution or fix?

I'm also having the same problem with my Redmi Note 9 Pro running 12.0.1.0 (RJZEUXM)

It's really frustrating!

I had disabled MIUI Optimisations in Developer Settings. I did some experiments (took about 18 hours or so) and some hardwork (reset my phone twice) then re-enable it at last and it solved my problem! apparently MI did this in Android 11 so we don't disable MIUI optimisation and install external apps like Vanced.

Photopuppet

May 22, 2007
I had disabled MIUI Optimisations in Developer Settings. I did some experiments (took about 18 hours or so) and some hardwork (reset my phone twice) then re-enable it at last and it solved my problem! apparently MI did this in Android 11 so we don't disable MIUI optimisation and install external apps like Vanced.
Thank you for this tip! I hadn't thought about having MIUI optimization turned off causing the problem, switched it back on and now everything works as expected like uploading to Chrome and opening attachments in Gmail. Just a thought... from my research it seems like these are stock Android 11 problems and maybe MIUI Devs actually did mods to fix permission problems between apps?
Thanks again. 😁

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
Thank you for this tip! I hadn't thought about having MIUI optimization turned off causing the problem, switched it back on and now everything works as expected like uploading to Chrome and opening attachments in Gmail. Just a thought... from my research it seems like these are stock Android 11 problems and maybe MIUI Devs actually did mods to fix permission problems between apps?
Thanks again. 😁
Glad to know your problem got solved!
This is not a problem in stock android, since all other phones (Samsung, Pixel) in my family got updated to A11 and had no such problem whatsoever...

aesthcape

Mar 7, 2020
I normally never ever write replies on XDA, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH! This issue has been making me frustrated so much, I was even considering downgrading back to MIUI 11 or flashing a custom ROM. But enabling MIUI Optimizations fixed it! Again, thank you so much, this was really frustrating to me.

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
I normally never ever write replies on XDA, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH! This issue has been making me frustrated so much, I was even considering downgrading back to MIUI 11 or flashing a custom ROM. But enabling MIUI Optimizations fixed it! Again, thank you so much, this was really frustrating to me.
I did downgrade to MIUI 11 to check if it works there... so that thanks was much deserved I guess... Haha! Glad to know I was able to help.

Reactions: cunhaandre

ANDBLUE$

Sep 30, 2021
Thank you stranger guy, you are my hero. You save the day

Reactions: brmediawks

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
For Vanced to install you have to disable Miui optimizations but after installation you can enable them again and preserve Vanced.

Prashanth8997

Apr 22, 2022
Oh champ.. it worked for me. Thankyou 🤝✋. Have been working to fix this issue since last 2days and finally fixed it.

AH.Rahimi

Sep 12, 2022
Oh, man how genius ! Your hard-work and reply had me out of trouble and frustration. Thanks for your help. I really wish you success 👍

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
Hello I'm having the same issue here on my redmi note 8T, do you know any solution yet?
Wait a minute!
You're telling me you didn't find the solution which is literally eleven replies above?

Here it is FYI! :

Enable MIUI Optimisations in Developer Settings.

Reactions: cunhaandre

nrshaown

Feb 13, 2019
This was really worked . Thanks a lot buddy. this was my biggest problem after the update. I just thought i should downgrade but found your this post.

Reactions: jiabanster

nrshaown

Feb 13, 2019
Okay! Wow! One year and two months have passed and people are still struggling with this problem! Glad I posted the solution here!
😁 Congratulations, you found this thread before throwing your phone at the wall!
After i disable my miui optimization it solved but after re enable it cause the same, what to do??

brmediawks

Jan 4, 2019
jalandhar
Xiaomi Mi 9
Why would you want to leave it turned on? Just install the app you want once and then turn it off. That solves the problem. Moreover, many apps nowadays have stopped asking you to disable optimizations to install. So just leave it in a position that solves the problem.
After i disable my miui optimization it solved but after re enable it cause the same, what to do??

Reactions: nrshaown

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, facing the same issue on my poco x3.

Got any solution or fix?

It's really frustrating!

Okay! Wow! One year and two months have passed and people are still struggling with this problem! Glad I posted the solution here!
    😁 Congratulations, you found this thread before throwing your phone at the wall!
    Thanks again. 😁
    Oh champ.. it worked for me. Thankyou 🤝✋. Have been working to fix this issue since last 2days and finally fixed it.
    Oh Champ! I was really furious over this issue for 2 weeks straight. Finally found that fix, decided to share with everyone. congratulations... You found this thread! 😂😁