Unable to use ADB with my Pixel XL

Search This thread

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
How do I enable using ADB with my Pixel XL? When I try to do ADB commands, they come back blank. ADB devices returns nothing for example. I read some stuff that seemed to indicate I didn't have the right drivers. I tried to download a new set of drivers from Google's website, but those don't work either. Windows 10 keeps insisting that the drivers installed are better.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks!

Eric

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    How do I enable using ADB with my Pixel XL? When I try to do ADB commands, they come back blank. ADB devices returns nothing for example. I read some stuff that seemed to indicate I didn't have the right drivers. I tried to download a new set of drivers from Google's website, but those don't work either. Windows 10 keeps insisting that the drivers installed are better.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks!

Eric
    SDK Platform-tools r29.0.5?
    If you booted into fastboot mode/bootloader
    ADB doesn't work, use fastboot devices

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
    SDK Platform-tools r29.0.5?
    If you booted into fastboot mode/bootloader
    ADB doesn't work, use fastboot devices

Those are the platform tools I have.

On my phone, I hold down power and volume down until the little android guy comes up. From there I hook it to my PC, via a USB cable. Next I go into the platform tools folder and start running commands from there. If I run ADB devices, nothing comes back. If I run, fastboot devices, I get my model number back.

Is that not correct? How would I run ADB commands then?

Thanks!

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
    Wellington

On my phone, I hold down power and volume down until the little android guy comes up. From there I hook it to my PC, via a USB cable. Next I go into the platform tools folder and start running commands from there. If I run ADB devices, nothing comes back. If I run, fastboot devices, I get my model number back.

Thanks!
    What are you trying to do with adb? Adb is used in either recovery mode or once the phone had booted into the system, provided you have enabled USB debugging. Is it this that you want to know more about?

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012

Thanks!
    When you power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons you should see Start.

You are booting the bootloader/fastboot mode.

Then you open a Command prompt in the Platform-tools folder and type: fastboot devices
    It should return the phones serial number.

Take a look at one of these guides: Android 9 (Pie) Guide or Android 10 (Q) Guide.

Last edited:

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
    What are you trying to do with adb? Adb is used in either recovery mode or once the phone had booted into the system, provided you have enabled USB debugging. Is it this that you want to know more about?

Hi, thanks for the response. I was trying to run and do the following series of commands.

Install Magisk module: Busybox for Android NDK
    Install Magisk module: MagiskHide Props Config
    Reboot
    adb shell
    settings put global tether_dun_required 0
    su props

On the last command above you may need to authorize the shell via Magisk SU.
    You'll now be in an interactive script, do the following:
    Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
    Enter n, New custom prop
    Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
    Enter true
    Enter 2, post-fs-data
    Enter y
    Enter y to reboot

I couldn't figure out how to get adb to work. (I don't know what the heck BusyBox does either for that matter.) It sounds like I may not have had my phone in the right mode to use adb. Based on the other post, I think I was in bootloader mode. (power down and volume down). It sounds like adb doesn't work in that mode, which I didn't understand. Does any of this make any sense?

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
    When you power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons you should see Start.

You are booting the bootloader/fastboot mode.

Then you open a Command prompt in the Platform-tools folder and type: fastboot devices
    It should return the phones serial number.

Take a look at one of these guides: Android 9 (Pie) Guide or Android 10 (Q) Guide.

You are correct. Doing that does return my phone's serial number. However, adb doesn't appear to work for me in that mode. Are you saying that in bootloader/fastboot mode adb doesn't work?

Thanks for the link to those guides. They are REALLY good and well written for someone who is a bit of a noob like myself. I really appreciate them. I've used them to install Magisk on my Pixel XL when it was on Android 9 quite a few times. This time, I used it to install Magisk on my Pixel XL with Android 10, but ran into issues when I couldn't edit the build.prop file to enable tethering. The adb commands I was trying to run were supposed to help with the build.prop problem.

Homeboy76

• Aug 24, 2012
    You are correct. Doing that does return my phone's serial number. However, adb doesn't appear to work for me in that mode. Are you saying that in bootloader/fastboot mode adb doesn't work?

Thanks for the link to those guides. They are REALLY good and well written for someone who is a bit of a noob like myself. I really appreciate them. I've used them to install Magisk on my Pixel XL when it was on Android 9 quite a few times. This time, I used it to install Magisk on my Pixel XL with Android 10, but ran into issues when I couldn't edit the build.prop file to enable tethering. The adb commands I was trying to run were supposed to help with the build.prop problem.
    Yes!

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015

Ah, I see. OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll have to hook my phone up and try adb again. I'll probably just wait until I need to upgrade again. I have everything working at the moment so I kinda don't want to mess with it.

Thanks for the help!

Ah, I see. OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll have to hook my phone up and try adb again. I'll probably just wait until I need to upgrade again. I have everything working at the moment so I kinda don't want to mess with it.

Thanks for the help!

Also do yourself a HUGE favor and use dual boot on your computer and install Linux Ubuntu. Then adb and fastboot and anything you want as far as Android (and all types of other things) will work without issues. I am somewhat new to Linux Ubuntu but ever since the first installation I did I fell in love with it and haven't had an issue since. If you google search Linux Ubuntu you can find their site and read all about it and dual boot if you want or wipe windows and install Linux only. I grantee you'd love Linux OS. There are MANY to choose from too, not just Ubuntu but Ubuntu is bad ass IMO. I use 18.04 LTS and I love it. Check it out some time. Its 100% free too. :)

Linux site: https://ubuntu.com/download

sudoxd

Jan 16, 2017
    Adelaide
    sudoxd.xyz
    Also do yourself a HUGE favor and use dual boot on your computer and install Linux Ubuntu. Then adb and fastboot and anything you want as far as Android (and all types of other things) will work without issues. I am somewhat new to Linux Ubuntu but ever since the first installation I did I fell in love with it and haven't had an issue since. If you google search Linux Ubuntu you can find their site and read all about it and dual boot if you want or wipe windows and install Linux only. I grantee you'd love Linux OS. There are MANY to choose from too, not just Ubuntu but Ubuntu is bad ass IMO. I use 18.04 LTS and I love it. Check it out some time. Its 100% free too. :)

Linux site: https://ubuntu.com/download

ubuntu is trash.
    also adb/fastboot work fine on any os i dont see why there is any difference. i use macos myself and its working just fine and it works on my windows install too.

ubuntu is trash.
    also adb/fastboot work fine on any os i dont see why there is any difference. i use macos myself and its working just fine and it works on my windows install too.
    I always had some driver issue on Windows seemed like. And everything was installed perfect. Since I left windows and switched I have NOT had any issue with anything far as my phone and PC go. I may check out Mint and or some other distros soon. I've only been onboard 6-8 months now so I'm noobin it still. ;p You should see my setup. LMAO! It's not the nicest looking laptop (a few keys missing on my keyboard...) [emoji23][emoji849] But hey, it does the job I need it to,, for now anyway. LOL! I would never return to windows unless I was using Photoshop. Sure there's Gimp but I always kinda liked Photoshop better.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

sudoxd

Jan 16, 2017
    Adelaide
    sudoxd.xyz
    I always had some driver issue on Windows seemed like. And everything was installed perfect. Since I left windows and switched I have NOT had any issue with anything far as my phone and PC go. I may check out Mint and or some other distros soon. I've only been onboard 6-8 months now so I'm noobin it still. ;p You should see my setup. LMAO! It's not the nicest looking laptop (a few keys missing on my keyboard...) [emoji23][emoji849] But hey, it does the job I need it to,, for now anyway. LOL! I would never return to windows unless I was using Photoshop. Sure there's Gimp but I always kinda liked Photoshop better.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

how have you been using linux for 6-8 months and you still think ****-tier distros like ubuntu and mint are still acceptable

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      adb does not work in bootloader you spastic, boot into your system or twrp to use it
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone