• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNBRICK][BETA] HTC Unbricking Project

Search This thread

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
OP status: [WIP]

This will fix devices which were bricked due to firmware incompatibility. This can be caused with the way HTC handles the firmware updates in it's m7's OTAs. If you've been flashing from a 3.x firmware to a 5.x firmware via OTA, or manually, you most likely have a device stuck in QHSUSB_DLOAD. This tool is for you

Currently supported devices: m7ul.

Last edited:

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
Prerequisites
  • the appropriate package for the device
  • a supported bricked device
  • a usb cable
  • fastboot
  • distro utils: md5sum, strings, tail, grep, unzip ( all included in most linux distros)
  • some basic linux experience
  • root access on a linux machine
  • patience
DISCLAIMER: We do NOT guarantee that this method will work for you, or that it is flawless. We are also not responsible if your phone is completely dead after the procedure, or your house burns down because your phone exploded. You are doing this in YOUR OWN RISK.

Instructions

1. Boot the linux box and download the appropriate package for the device.
  2. Remove the sim card from the phone. Do not connect yet
  3. Extract the package in your working directory
  4. Open up a terminal and cd to that directory
  5. Run revive.sh as root and connect the device
Code:
sudo ./revive.sh

The procedure is automated. At the end of the unbrick process, you will need to charge the device fully and then flash one of the full firmwares bundled, as pointed from the script. This is crucial to ensure device stability.

Last edited:

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
Notes on the procedure:

• You will need to power on the device manually when the script prompts you. To do so, hold power button for ~60secs
  • USB3 ports might not work properly. Please plug the device in a USB2 port if you face issues
  • If your firmware is unsupported, please grab p1.img and p19.img from the working directory, note down the error and contact us
  • This has been tested on S-OFF devices. Please let me know if it works on S-ON as well
  • This *should* fix other firmware incompatibilities too, as long as the device can be detected
  • The firmwares included are completely stock, including recovery. You are not advised to use others

Downloads

For HTC One (M7_UL)
32bit MD5: c9b8c0ea1700edfda1d69a2491e59aa5

Last edited:

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
Will try that later today :)! My last hope before sending it in :fingers-crossed:

I have a linux boot disc here. If someone could tell me how to get it to boot in root (Never done this before) I would be greatful. So i can start after work immediatly :)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samson1991

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
Will try that later today :)! My last hope before sending it in :fingers-crossed:

I have a linux boot disc here. If someone could tell me how to get it to boot in root (Never done this before) I would be greatful. So i can start after work immediatly :)!

Root access is when you launch something using the sudo command, I can assist you with team viewer but it's very easy. ;)

pet4a

Feb 12, 2010
Awesome, thank you.
I am running GPe 4.4.2 with 3.x firmware
If I want to install sense 6 ROM and upgrade to a 5.x firmware, what is the safest way?

TeHashX

Oct 6, 2011
Europe
Thanx @dexter93, I added link to this thread in [Firmware] HTC ONE M7_UL | Firmware 5.11.401.10 | No Red Text | Radio 4T.27.3218.14

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Awesome, thank you.
I am running GPe 4.4.2 with 3.x firmware
If I want to install sense 6 ROM and upgrade to a 5.x firmware, what is the safest way?

Flash firmware from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2485651

Reactions: dexter93

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
[email protected]:~$ cd Downloads
[email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo ./revive.sh
HTC Unbricking Project M7_UL 0.5beta
Detecting bricked device..
Accessing device on /dev/sde
Gathering data
./revive.sh: line 20: 6281 Illegal instruction (core dumped) ./${emmc_recover} -b p1.img -d "${ubpath}1" -s -q
./revive.sh: line 21: 6283 Illegal instruction (core dumped) ./${emmc_recover} -b p19.img -d "${ubpath}19" -s -q
strings: 'p1.img': No such file
strings: 'p19.img': No such file
Unsupported firmare

thats what the terminal prompts me. seems linke its an unsupported fw:cyclops:. might there be a fix or a new version in the future? looks like it could work somehow...:fingers-crossed::good:

Reactions: dragonesdenano

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
[email protected]:~$ cd Downloads
[email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo ./revive.sh
Accessing device on /dev/sde
Gathering data
./revive.sh: line 20: 6281 Illegal instruction (core dumped) ./${emmc_recover} -b p1.img -d "${ubpath}1" -s -q
./revive.sh: line 21: 6283 Illegal instruction (core dumped) ./${emmc_recover} -b p19.img -d "${ubpath}19" -s -q
strings: 'p1.img': No such file
strings: 'p19.img': No such file
Unsupported firmare

thats what the terminal prompts me. seems linke its an unsupported fw:cyclops:. might there be a fix or a new version in the future? looks like it could work somehow...:fingers-crossed::good:

Which Ubuntu? have you untar'ed everything in ~/Downloads? 32 or 64bit? Is it a VM?

Last edited:

BanBoo

Jan 5, 2012
Aschaffenburg
Which Ubuntu? have you untar'ed everything in ~/Downloads? 32 or 64bit? Is it a VM?

It`s Ubuntu (64bit) 14.04. Yes i guess... i`ve extracted the whole package from here to ~/Dowloads$. Is there another one? What files should there be? No, not VM I`ve booted from a disc.

Am I suppoused to use a 32bit ubuntu?

Edit: same with Ubuntu 14.04 32bit

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonesdenano

τομαικ

Feb 5, 2010
2 questions

Given that the phone is dead,how can i have fastboot? Only viewed as QHSUSB_DLOAD, just the sound on windows when connected to usd....no idea if its still charged or not, fastboot commands ofcourse not work (waiting for device)

Also could someone tell me a way to make sure my phone is ul, finding something on its box?

thanks

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
It`s Ubuntu (64bit) 14.04. Yes i guess... i`ve extracted the whole package from here to ~/Dowloads$. Is there another one? What files should there be? No, not VM I`ve booted from a disc.

Am I suppoused to use a 32bit ubuntu?

Edit: same with Ubuntu 14.04 32bit

Something's up with ubuntu and the tool binary for some weird reason. Looking into it

2 questions

Given that the phone is dead,how can i have fastboot? Only viewed as QHSUSB_DLOAD, just the sound on windows when connected to usd....no idea if its still charged or not, fastboot commands ofcourse not work (waiting for device)

Also could someone tell me a way to make sure my phone is ul, finding something on its box?

thanks
You can have fastboot set up on your pc. And use it when the script tells you to.

dragonesdenano

Jan 25, 2011
Lanus, Buenos Aires
I had this Using Ubuntu 14 x64
My M7 is Att Unlocked Factory, S OFF, Cid TELUS01 -was trying to get ota, and bricked!-
No Sim when tried as tutorial idicates

Accessing device on /dev/sdc
Gathering data
./revive.sh: línea 20: 6467 Instrucción ilegal (`core' generado) ./${emmc_recover} -b p1.img -d "${ubpath}1" -s -q
./revive.sh: línea 21: 6469 Instrucción ilegal (`core' generado) ./${emmc_recover} -b p19.img -d "${ubpath}19" -s -q
strings: 'p1.img': No hay tal fichero
strings: 'p19.img': No hay tal fichero
Unsupported firmare

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP status: [WIP]

This will fix devices which were bricked due to firmware incompatibility. This can be caused with the way HTC handles the firmware updates in it's m7's OTAs. If you've been flashing from a 3.x firmware to a 5.x firmware via OTA, or manually, you most likely have a device stuck in QHSUSB_DLOAD. This tool is for you

Currently supported devices: m7ul.
    Prerequisites
    • the appropriate package for the device
    • a supported bricked device
    • a usb cable
    • fastboot
    • distro utils: md5sum, strings, tail, grep, unzip ( all included in most linux distros)
    • some basic linux experience
    • root access on a linux machine
    • patience
    DISCLAIMER: We do NOT guarantee that this method will work for you, or that it is flawless. We are also not responsible if your phone is completely dead after the procedure, or your house burns down because your phone exploded. You are doing this in YOUR OWN RISK.

Instructions

1. Boot the linux box and download the appropriate package for the device.
    2. Remove the sim card from the phone. Do not connect yet
    3. Extract the package in your working directory
    4. Open up a terminal and cd to that directory
    5. Run revive.sh as root and connect the device
    Code:
    sudo ./revive.sh

The procedure is automated. At the end of the unbrick process, you will need to charge the device fully and then flash one of the full firmwares bundled, as pointed from the script. This is crucial to ensure device stability.
    Notes on the procedure:

• You will need to power on the device manually when the script prompts you. To do so, hold power button for ~60secs
    • USB3 ports might not work properly. Please plug the device in a USB2 port if you face issues
    • If your firmware is unsupported, please grab p1.img and p19.img from the working directory, note down the error and contact us
    • This has been tested on S-OFF devices. Please let me know if it works on S-ON as well
    • This *should* fix other firmware incompatibilities too, as long as the device can be detected
    • The firmwares included are completely stock, including recovery. You are not advised to use others

Downloads

For HTC One (M7_UL)
    32bit MD5: c9b8c0ea1700edfda1d69a2491e59aa5
    Got my HTC bricked just like that in middle of a browsing session with 40% battery, this happened 2 days bak.

I have my all things set. Including the fastboot and root permission.

When i run revive.sh i am not getting the bricked device detected.

I am on Mac. Hopefully it satisfy the condition required here of a linux distro. As of now i have this m/c only no ubuntu..

I checked via tail -f /var/log/system.log (klog is diff in mac) , the following is there :
    Jun 5 21:05:08 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28336.614 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:09 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28336.675 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:20 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.651 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:20 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.660 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:21 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28348.871 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:21 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::message - kIOUSBMessagePortHasBeenReset.
    Jun 5 21:05:22 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
    Jun 5 21:05:22 anirudhsmacbook hidd[48]: MultitouchHID: device bootloaded
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353. 35 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353. 42 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending
    Jun 5 21:05:25 anirudhsmacbook kernel[0]: USBF: 28353.106 AppleUSBOHCI::SuspendUSBBus Processing WDH before suspending

I guess this is not searching for Qualcomm MMC storage as mentioned in the revive shell script.

Does that mean its not in correct mode ? or does that mean mac USB driver detection is diff.

Any feedback shall be appreciated.
    You can forget about any kind of support on mac. logging and usb events are different. Use a live cd or something

~~
    Also, updated the OP download with the new emmc_recover binary
    AFAIK "m7u" is GSM and "m7ul" is GSM+LTE.
    try with this version of emmc_recover and let me know if you still get illegal instruction