Unbrick Fire TV Stick 4K. Help!

Simpson84

Feb 20, 2010
www.androids.com.ua
Hello! I was trying to clone one Fire TV Stick 4K to another. I've backup with TWRP from one FireTV Stick 4K next partitions: System, System Image, Vendor, Vendor Image, Data, Boot. Then was trying to restore all of them on another stick with changing backup folder serial number and when another FireTV Stick 4K has been rebooted it stuck on the FireTV logo ((( And I don't know what to do with it know.

I was trying to flash Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis) Prerooted Stock Images [6.2.6.8_r1] but receive an error "Failed to mount '/vendor' (Invalid argument)"

Could you help, please? Thank you!

Reactions: theflashfromthecw

brick00444

Nov 24, 2018
Hello! I was trying to clone one Fire TV Stick 4K to another. I've backup with TWRP from one FireTV Stick 4K next partitions: System, System Image, Vendor, Vendor Image, Data, Boot. Then was trying to restore all of them on another stick with changing backup folder serial number and when another FireTV Stick 4K has been rebooted it stuck on the FireTV logo ((( And I don't know what to do with it know.

I was trying to flash Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis) Prerooted Stock Images [6.2.6.8_r1] but receive an error "Failed to mount '/vendor' (Invalid argument)"

I think this is where I would start. Hope it helps.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/orig-development/unlock-fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-t3978459

Firozhari

Oct 31, 2016

Hi, I am facing the same issue, did you manage to get it fixed??

Mar 24, 2019

I had the same problem in the past before, try flashing the original stock rom in TWRP and reboot. Rerun the exploit and push this zip file to the 4K Fire Stick.
Original Stock Rom: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8Md0W6V7UNKkGb1uS2WfIKjjevEEaN7/view?usp=drivesdk

Also if you're having problems pushing the zip, try adb shell, twrp sideload, then adb sideload (the zip file). It'll say copying system image unconditionally along with the vendor images so you shouldn't get the failed to mount vendor anymore and the brick will be gone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Sus_i

Donphillipe

Jun 23, 2014
Got the same problem. Did this work?

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

Can you also help me with some of the terminology used here - for example on phones I have rooted in the past, I have used backup/restore and install many times but I am not sure how to do this "try adb shell, twrp sideload, then adb sideload (the zip file)".

On the advanced menu of TWRP I see Copy Log, File Manager, Terminal and ADB Sideload. When I choose the last on the list,ADB Sideload the screen gives me another failed to mount /vendor message with "Starting ADB sideload feature, which I am not sure what to do with any of this section of TWRP and if TWRP is to be used rather than a PC to do this. Thanks

Donphillipe

Jun 23, 2014
I had the same problem in the past before, try flashing the original stock rom in TWRP and reboot. Rerun the exploit and push this zip file to the 4K Fire Stick.
Original Stock Rom: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8Md0W6V7UNKkGb1uS2WfIKjjevEEaN7/view?usp=drivesdk

Also if you're having problems pushing the zip, try adb shell, twrp sideload, then adb sideload (the zip file). It'll say copying system image unconditionally along with the vendor images so you shouldn't get the failed to mount vendor anymore and the brick will be gone. Let me know if you have any questions.
I resolved the problem after sleeping on the problem and found you can use the Install option to restore the factory image even though you get the same /vendor error initially.

I'd still like to learn how to issue ADB push and ADB commands to this stick considering the only way I can see to get to the TWRP menu is to use a mouse via an OTG USB connection and that blocks a PC from connecting and supplying mouse support at the same time - unless I'm really missing something.

@Bill_Dollar

Dec 19, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I resolved the problem after sleeping on the problem and found you can use the Install option to restore the factory image even though you get the same /vendor error initially.

I'd still like to learn how to issue ADB push and ADB commands to this stick considering the only way I can see to get to the TWRP menu is to use a mouse via an OTG USB connection and that blocks a PC from connecting and supplying mouse support at the same time - unless I'm really missing something.
How did you get the factory image onto the stick? I'm stuck with no recovery on the stick currently and ADB is not recognized in TWRP.

Donphillipe

Jun 23, 2014
I plugged the Windows formatted USB stick in the PC (eFat works for read like this but has problems with backing up to it but you are OK reading off an eFat), downloaded the zip file to the stick., plugged the stick into the powered hub where the mouse is plugged in and the hub is powering the AFS through an internal or extra OTG, powered off and back on the stick which booted to TWRP, clicked cancel to get TWRP Menu, clicked Install, clicked Select Storage, looked at the file sizes of all the storage options and selected the one that matched the total capacity of the stick, then opened the folder where the zip restore file was, selected the full zip restore image and slid the slider to the right with the mouse to begin install. I then saw the text going across the TV screen stating which directories were being restored, then it stopped, then I selected the option to wipe the two caches and clicked the reboot option and the the firestick rebooted with no TWRP menu this time but back to the black and white menu, then to the orange over white background where the device takes a long time to go through its initialization sequence and then after a few minutes it boots back into the option to pair the remote, sign on and do all that stuff again. I did a complete initial configuration again and checked out the quality of the restore by signing in and poking around, then got up my nerve and applied the exploit once more.

Last edited:

rpmuploads

Dec 3, 2020
Hi! I have exactly the same problem as @Simpson84. I've cloned the 4 partitions (system image, vendor image, data and boot) from one 4K stick to another (same model) via TWRP backup / restore, and now the stick which I've restored into is stuck at the black screen with with fire tv logo (does not reach the white and orange screen boot with the 3 dots). I have access to TWRP and I've already tried everything I could remember:
- flash stock images (update-kindle-mantis-NS62* - tried with several versions)
- wiping cache, dalvik and data
- flash rooted images
- re-run exploit again
- rename backed-up partitions from win to img and flash with fastboot
However, the result is always the same. The normal boot does not get past the black screen with white logo.
Does anyone know any other possible solution?

Thanks!

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
Hi! I have exactly the same problem as @Simpson84. I've cloned the 4 partitions (system image, vendor image, data and boot) from one 4K stick to another (same model) via TWRP backup / restore, and now the stick which I've restored into is stuck at the black screen with with fire tv logo (does not reach the white and orange screen boot with the 3 dots). I have access to TWRP and I've already tried everything I could remember:
- flash stock images (update-kindle-mantis-NS62* - tried with several versions)
- wiping cache, dalvik and data
- flash rooted images
- re-run exploit again
- rename backed-up partitions from win to img and flash with fastboot
However, the result is always the same. The normal boot does not get past the black screen with white logo.
Does anyone know any other possible solution?

Thanks!
Redo the unlock process.

Then format data (type "yes) and then push your rooted rom and magisk back to mantis /sdcard.
Reflash
Wipe dalvik and cache
Reboot

Don't rename any partitions just let kamikiri do its work

Reactions: Sus_i

rpmuploads

Dec 3, 2020
Many thanks both to @Bertonumber1 and @Sus_i :)
I tried your suggestions but the 4k stick keeps stuck at the black and white logo. I have another two 4k sticks, one for android development and testing and another one for the living room, so I don't really need it. I just wanted to fix it for the challenge and because it seems that there's nothing wrong on the hardware side.

You can see in the attached images my attempt to recover.

Attachments

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Many thanks both to @Bertonumber1 and @Sus_i :)
I tried your suggestions but the 4k stick keeps stuck at the black and white logo. I have another two 4k sticks, one for android development and testing and another one for the living room, so I don't really need it. I just wanted to fix it for the challenge and because it seems that there's nothing wrong on the hardware side.

You can see in the attached images my attempt to recover.
Looks almost ok from here.
Only thing to remember is that you've to flash magisk behind the stock rom, as the last step just before the reboot... If you flash Magisk infront the rom, Magisk gets overwritten during the stock boot image flash.
In case that won't help, I would flash the kamakiri GPT-fix from here:
Extract the two files from the zip in the kamakiri folder, make sure that the gpt-mantis.bin file goes to the bin folder... then run this using the fireISO:
./gpt-fix.sh
(you need to short again).

rpmuploads

Dec 3, 2020
Thanks @Sus_i. Indeed I'm always flashing the rom first and then magisk.
I've shorted the stick again and ran successfully ./gpt-fix.sh but it's still stuck at the black and white logo.
Probably I'll try to install the LineageOS to see what it looks like.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
I've shorted the stick again and ran successfully ./gpt-fix.sh but it's still stuck at the black and white logo.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lineage rom for the 4k.
Have you tried to install a rom + magisk behind the gpt-fix?
If yes, I can't think of a reason why the stick won't boot at this point.

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
You may try returning the stick to stock,
lock the bootloader again and do the whole process over.

I had this problem before with mantis and the only way I could get it to work again (Unlocked/Rooted) was by locking it down back to stock, letting the stick do all the ota updates :

Then after doing the short process over.

Adb Push to /sdcard

6.2.7.1 prerooted (or a rom of your choice)
Magisk 21.1 zip

Install prerooted first
Then flash magisk

Wipe dalvik/cache

Reboot

It's a pain in the ass and a long way to go but it workes in my case anyway. If your sticks not working then it's worth a shot

Last edited:

rpmuploads

Dec 3, 2020
You may try returning the stick to stock,
lock the bootloader again and do the whole process over.

I had this problem before with mantis and the only way I could get it to work again (Unlocked/Rooted) was by locking it down back to stock, letting the stick do all the ota updates :

Then after doing the short process over.

Adb Push to /sdcard

6.2.7.1 prerooted (or a rom of your choice)
Magisk 21.1 zip

Install prerooted first
Then flash magisk

Wipe dalvik/cache

Reboot

It's a pain in the ass and a long way to go but it workes in my case anyway. If your sticks not working then it's worth a shot
Thanks @Bertonumber1, I tried your suggestion, locking the bootloader again and doing the whole process over, but it still doesn't pass the b&w logo. I've attached step by step images.

Attachments