• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unbrick hard bricked Motorola Moto E

Search This thread

aravindvnair99

This DevDB project and it's related files are by Aravind V. Nair. I'm stating this because so many people are trying to impersonate me. For example, @Balaji Sriram More info: Balaji Sriram impersonating Aravind V. Nair

Most of you are probably facing battery issues. Please check what I have to say regarding that before proceeding. So many people have reported success after fixing the battery issue. Details are available at the bottom of the post

If your eMMC storage controller is corrupted, no method will work. You need to replace the motherboard. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.

Big thanks to @ariel.buszczak for his continuous support in every way he could! :)

Big thanks to @waulliano for uploading the backup.img for XT1022! Download from here :)

Introduction?

Yes, of course. Hi there!

I have a bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor. I watched so many threads on various forums to try and unbrick, but unfortunately all threads just got abandoned. Hence, I have come up with a DevDB project to try and unbrick Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor if possible. Please note, this project is only for Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022, XT1021 and XT1025 condor. Between, I also have an unbricked working Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor along with the bricked one for test purposes.

This XDA DevDB project is aimed at developers mainly to gather all possible ways to unbrick a hard-bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor, but not restricted to people who want to try their luck at unbricking their Motorola Moto E. Please don't post 3-line request like "my device is bricked, please help" as you will be ignored. If you can't do the research required to provide the right details plus finding the correct files required then, this DevDB project is not for you. The programs, its associated files & threads, etc are NOT going to be being actively developed very soon (July 10th 2017) as I get busy and involved with other things. But the thread remains open for user to post more information, additional files, updates from the public, etc. It's not here for lazy people to scream fix my device, can those type of users please speak to your retailer, cell phone service shop??

I will reiterate again, THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT THREAD AND NOT A REQUEST PAGE FOR "fix my device"

I haven't stopped working on this. I do update this XDA DevDB and my GitHub repository for the as I get time.
Please go through this DevDB post thoroughly.

Rules and regulations:

Please click the 'Follow Project' button to get notifications every time I update files or make any other changes instead of asking me manually via PM or in thread replies. I won't reply to unsolicited spam messages. So, DO NOT waste your time crafting them.

Obey all XDA rules posted here along with CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md posted by me here.

Please read through this post and also go through the README.MD file on my GitHub repository for this project carefully and thoroughly. They are created for a reason. I won't reply to unsolicited spam messages, tags, quotes, replies, etc. So, DO NOT waste your time crafting.

Warning: I am in no way responsible for your actions. You are on your own. Please undertake all actions at your own risk.

Please compress all files before uploading to the cloud after removing personal data. I'm not going to check otherwise.

Please attach error codes and other additional information is separate files to avoid clutter. I'm NOT going to check otherwise.

DO NOT share anything from this thread. DO NOT mirror anything without prior permission. I have recently busted so many people who have tried to do so despite my warning and even got them banned.

How can I get in touch with you?

My personal blog (All social media profiles link are available):
About Aravind V. Nair

Or

Or

Or

Where can I find the files and instructions?

Please check here: Motorola Moto E XT1022 condor files - GitHub (Aravind V. Nair)

How do I support you?

Hit the thanks button below and the 5-star button above to show your support. Also, you can 'star' and 'watch' my GitHub repository Motorola Moto E XT1022 condor files - GitHub (Aravind V. Nair).

Follow me on social media networking sites if you wish.

Donate to me if you wish by clicking here

What is the goal of this project?

The goal of this project is to gather all possible ways to unbrick a hard bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor. Methods 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are perfectly working. Your mileage will vary with other methods. Please don't give up on first try. You need to try a lot of times and test your luck.

What is the proof that this has worked?

I have attached photos to this DevDB post. Please have a look at them.

Will this work for everyone?

As long as you haven't corrupted any of your phone's hardware, you do have chances of unbricking. If the NAND adapter or related parts are not functional, don't even expect to unbrick. A lot of you have tried weird files on the internet, so chances will reduce accordingly.

Where can I find the changelog?

I frequently update and patch things in my GitHub repository as I get time. Be sure to check the changelog here.

How do I find out which bootloader I have?

Sorry, I don't think that's possible when the phone is bricked. I'm not sure though. But definitely, your bootloader version would be the version from your last working stock OS (or custom OS, only if you flashed the motoboot.img or any other equivalent bootloader image).

If fastboot works,
Code:
fastboot getvar all

Can I restore factory aka original firmware if my bootloader is locked?

Yes, you can. However attempting to downgrade to an older version of Android may fail and isn't a good idea. Even with an unlocked bootloader, downgrading cannot be guaranteed. It's also important to be aware that flashing the wrong bootloader (motoboot.img) for your model can have serious consequences. Always identify your model of Moto E and verify the files before flashing.

If you downgrade your phone, it is advised to avoid all OTA updates. These updates can result in a hard-brick (phone will not turn on) if you have a newer bootloader than the one expected. For example, most of you had the Lollipop bootloader, but have downgraded to Android KitKat and thus bricking your phones.

How to disable OTA Updates?

1. Without root access

Settings > Apps > [swipe left to 'All'] > MotorolaOTA (or Motorola Update Services or something similarly named) > Disable​
  2. With root access

• Google Play Store has many apps that will allow you to 'freeze' the OTA Update service. Titanium Backup is a common example.

• Alternatively, with a 'root access' file explorer, you can delete or rename the following files:

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
      /system/priv-app/3c_ota/3c_ota.apk​
    • These additional files can be removed or renamed: (If you still get an OTA Update notification)

/system/priv-app/3c_checkin/3c_checkin.apk
      /system/priv-app/3c_devicemanagement/3c_devicemanagement.apk
      /system/priv-app/3c_notification/3c_notification.apk​

I'm a developer or programmer or want to help. Could you please give some reference links?

Yes, of course. All contributions are welcome! Code, documentation, graphics or even design suggestions are welcome; use GitHub to its fullest. Submit pull requests, contribute tutorials or other wiki content -- whatever you have to offer, it would be appreciated!

Please feel free to get in touch with me. I'll always be available even after the deadline. Refer CONTRIBUTING.md on my GitHub repository for reference material and other things.

What are the possible methods of unbricking?

Refer Unbrick methods.md on my GitHub repository.

Where can I download the firmware files?

Check my GitHub README.md file for all files for all models or alterantively Moto E Factory Firmware Images by @lost101

Moto E won't power on. Only white light LED comes up when connecting powers source. Can I charge on AC, etc.

This has nothing to do with clearing cache, recovery and other nonsense. It is just a problem of overly discharged battery when the battery voltage drops below the 3.8 V, which is the minimum voltage of LiPo aka Lithium ion Polymer battery. Unlike other phones, all Motorola devices come with LiPo batteries.

When the battery reaches less than 0%, i.e., less than 3.8 V the phone will not allow it to turn on, as it is harmful for the battery and it might burst. So for these physical security reasons, the phone's adapter chipset/regulator stops the battery from charging. I faced the same problem many times while bricking and unbricking. One thing you could try is to jumpstart the battery by providing excessive power at your own risk, or consider replacing the battery. It is advisable, to never let the battery fall below 10 %. Below 0 %, the internal resistance or rather the impedance of the battery increases to a very very high constant, thus rendering the battery in a 'cannot be charged state'. I won't by trying to fix via firmware as it is very dangerous to charge a battery in such a state. We do not want another bomb apart from the already existing Samsung Galaxy Note 7, do we? :laugh: :D

Please check your battery voltage using a multimeter or voltmeter and contact me with the same. Please be very careful when removing the battery as Moto E has a loose pin and is easy to break. Caution advised!! For checking using multimeter, set to DC 20 Volts and use the correct input pins. For voltmeter, just use any DC voltmeter having a range of 0-5 Volts.

If the voltage is below 3.8 V, you have to replace the battery. If it is between 3.3 - 3.5 V, you have chances of resurrecting the battery. So try using a above 2 A charger (connecting to laptop won't work as that is just 0.5 A) and leave it like that for about 5 days continuous. Below 3.3 V, please replace the battery. It's not advisable to try and jumpstart.

For the prerequisites, you need a T4 Torx screwdriver and a new Moto E battery. Please buy genuine things. You could have a look at Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, IFIXIT, Snapdeal, etc and also offline stores. Search with the model number of the battery. For XT1022, XT1021 and XT1025, it is Motorola EL40 manufactured by SONY Electronics with a typical mAh of 1980 and minimum of 1860 mAh aka 1860/1980 mAh (min/typ) and 7.1/7.5 Wh (min/typ).

PLEASE DO NOT USE AC TO CHARGE DC BATTERIES DIRECTLY.

You have a high risk of causing serious damage. You might end up killing yourself! Please do not try this. To charge in this manner, you need a bridge rectifier. Noobs, please don't even venture here or think of making it. The battery will not get charged because AC supply changes its polarity after each half cycle. In India, it changes 50 times per second, Brazil 60. Therefore, the battery will be charged in one half cycle and discharged in the next half cycle. So basically, you are damaging the battery due to frequent charging and discharging cycles. Please do not try this!! There is high risk of fire damage and explosion. Those of you who already tried this, please discard the battery immediately to a recycling firm or any other relevant organisation for your country or city. It is not advisable to keep a spoilt battery at home. Using a resistor is not a good idea either as a resistor obeys Ohm's Law which states that the current flowing through any conductor, in this case the battery, is directly proportional to the potential difference across the terminals. So you wouldn't have a steady output. A diode would be preferable. Those who have no clue about these, please do not venture here. I reiterate, I won't be held accountable for any damage caused by you to yourself or your belongings or to anything else.

I was using the Moto E and it suddenly died. What do I do?

Step 1: Open up the phone as I have mentioned earlier. (If you read whatever I have written, you should be knowing what I'm talking about.)
Step 2: Detach the battery. Be very careful not to destroy any internal parts such as the connector which is very fragile.
Step 3: Connect the official charger. (Other chargers didn't work for me always during my testing.)
Step 4: Wait for the screen to say 0% or battery not connected or even if the screen turns on, consider yourself lucky.
Step 5: Attach the battery and reassemble the phone without removing the Moto charger.
Step 6: Go to fastboot, unlock the bootloader and use my fastboot unbrick script for your OS (I have made for Linux, Windows and MacOS). Leave it on charger for a day or two after this.
Step 7: Voila!

This is caused due to undercharging, overcharging or excessive battery drain cycles. In case the phone doesn't power on after connecting battery, check that the EMF of the battery is above 2.9 V with a multimeter as mentioned before.

How to power on Moto E without charger and unbrick?

Safest way is to use the original Motorola charger. As far as I have seen, all the original Motorola chargers have the 4th pin available. For the geeks:

Pin 1: VDD (+5V)
Pin 2: D- (Data-)
Pin 3: D+ (Data+)
Pin 4: ID (ID)
Pin 5: GND (Ground)

The additional pin added to the conventional USB port is the ID pin added to the 4th electrical pin which allows to recognize the device. The technical name is micro USB - B for the one on the charger and mini USB - A for the one on the charger. You can bypass power using this concept. This too is strictly not for noobs.

Errors:

Code:
Preflash validation failed

Buy a new phone. I doubt anyone can help you now...

Code:
Not able to flash GPT / Motoboot

You are not using the right firmware. Try another firmware.

Code:
FAILED (blank-flash: sdl-transfer-image: sdl-hello: invalid HDLC frame)

or

Code:
FAILED (blank-flash: sdl-transfer-image: sdl-hello: error sending packet)

Your bootloader files do not match your bootloader version, use another bootloader.

Code:
Stuck on Opening device: .  COM ??

or

Code:
Greeting device for command (Or any other) mode

or

Code:
Switch To FireHose (Or any other) mode

Press and hold power button until detection or until flashing begins.

I'm fed up!! Nothing is working for me!!

Calm down!! Replace your motherboard and/or battery and/or screen, whichever is spoilt. That's the easiest option. But it wouldn't be a good choice to buy new parts now. The phone is quite old. I suggest you buy a new phone instead. That would be a wiser idea. Methods 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are perfectly working. Your mileage will vary with other methods. Please don't give up on first try. You need to try a lot of times and test your luck. You are the one who brought your device to this condition. Only you can help yourself.

Does this project have a website?

Yes, a very basic one though. Check here.

Please go through this XDA DevDB main post and my GitHub repository for the same before commenting, messaging or posting.

XDA:DevDB Information
Unbrick hard bricked Motorola Moto E, Tool/Utility for the Moto E

Contributors
aravindvnair99, Thanks for all support! :)
Source Code: https://github.com/aravindvnair99/Motorola-Moto-E-XT1022-condor-unbrick

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 309
Stable Release Date: 2018-05-29
Current Beta Version: 309
Beta Release Date: 2018-05-29

Created 2017-05-01
Last Updated 2018-05-29

Last edited:

aravindvnair99

Reserved

By @kyocell

I am currently getting some SAHARA Port errors I'm trying to install and uninstall drivers and trying.
Will keep updating if it works.
Edit- Fixed SAHARA Port errors but now experiencing different ones.
Edit2- Now experiencing some kind of SAHARA Protocol errors.
Fixed errors guide- If you get any kind of SAHARA Port error then follow this easy guide.
1) First off, delete all the preinstalled drivers
2) disable your machine's driver signature enforcement by doing this -
Click the Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
3) After you enter your machine with driver enforcement disabled, Now go to the folder "Drivers" and extract the Qualcomm drivers and install them.
4) Here comes the tricky part. Now open your "moto e unbrick folder". Provided by @aravindvnair99 at his GitHub page and open the folders patch0.xml , prog_emmc_firehose_8x10 , rawprogram0.xml and copy all the contents into a new folder called "unbrick".
5) Now install the QPST tool. (installer in the unbrick folder provided by @aravindvnair99 at his GitHub.
6) Once you have this installed, go to the location of the installation of Qualcomm--> QPST --> Bin --> and copy this folder we made called "unbrick" into "bin" folder.
7) Now run Qfil.exe file which is located in the "bin" folder as well.
8) Now, plug your moto e with USB to your pc. If any drivers start installing, let them install.
9) Now select the port. Then browse the path for Programmer. For this click browse --> locate to the "unbrick" folder and select on "All files (*.*)" located at the bottom right of the browse window (dropdown).
10) Now select the file "programmer_8x10.mbn" and click ok.
11) Now click on load XML and locate to the "unbrick" folder and select the "rawprogram0.xml" file then another browse box will open and this time select "patch0.xml" and click ok.
12) You are now all set!
13) Finally click the "download" box and watch your phone come alive!

Hope this guide was easy. @aravindvnair99 you can use these instructions for method 1 as they are more elaborated & also it will save up your time so that you wont have to type so much data instructions. Its all up to you! i only wanna help all those people with this 'Dead moto e' problem and show them that there is still hope!
Much love! Hope it helped!
<3
P.S @aravindvnair99 please correct me if i have told anything wrong anywhere.
Edit - The following error still persists for me
20:39:51: ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:194 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.
20:39:51: ERROR: function: sahara_main:854 Sahara protocol error
20:39:51: ERROR: function: main:265 Uploading Image using Sahara protocol failed

EDIT - FIX FOR THE SAHARA ERROR
1) right as you plug in your phone to your pc and hear that sound (when device is plugged in to pc) right away click the download button without any waste of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: darlingsaitej
Sep 24, 2013
Happy to see this thread. I also have a bricked Moto E XT1022. After searching in many websites , i found that only flashing emmc using EasyJtag box has sloved the problem. Can you do anything with that flash file which flash the bootloader.

aravindvnair99

Happy to see this thread. I also have a bricked Moto E XT1022. After searching in many websites , i found that only flashing emmc using EasyJtag box has sloved the problem. Can you do anything with that flash file which flash the bootloader.

@arputhatonyking Thanks for the positive response. Sorry to hear that you too have a bricked condor. Yes, for hard bricked only JTag seems to work now. I don't see any other methods. For soft bricked, it is easy to recover. I am trying to find a solution (if possible) using blankflash or any such similar flashing procedures.

Stay tuned as you might be of help to us.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
@arputhatonyking Thanks for the positive response. Sorry to hear that you too have a bricked condor. Yes, for hard bricked only JTag seems to work now. I don't see any other methods. For soft bricked, it is easy to recover. Me and @Balaji Sriram are trying to find a solution (if possible) using blankflash or any such similar flashing procedures.

Stay tuned as you might be of help to us.

Hope to get a successful one..

VIPER_GE

Nov 19, 2008
Georgia, Zugdidi
i flash emmc backuped from eazy jtag with old riff box 1 but, not enter to fastboot. need read from worked phone and try flash to dead one. i look it to ebay but not find with low price phone/ if find and buy one, i will try read it and post here. i have hard bricked XT1021. it flashed customer from XT1022 firmware, now it dead.

aravindvnair99

i flash emmc backuped from eazy jtag with old riff box 1 but, not enter to fastboot. need read from worked phone and try flash to dead one. i look it to ebay but not find with low price phone/ if find and buy one, i will try read it and post here. i have hard bricked XT1021. it flashed customer from XT1022 firmware, now it dead.

I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say. As far as I understood:

You should have never flashed wrong firmware even though the only difference is the modem files between XT1022 and XT1021. Sure, will wait for your reply. Thanks for your time @VIPER_GE :good: :)

Reactions: darlingsaitej

VIPER_GE

Nov 19, 2008
Georgia, Zugdidi
has XT1021 flashed as XT1022, now it dead. flashed with customer. i try restore with emmc isp flashing with riff box but not work. need try with Z3X easy jtag, not have this one :(

aravindvnair99

has XT1021 flashed as XT1022, now it dead. flashed with customer. i try restore with emmc isp flashing with riff box but not work. need try with Z3X easy jtag, not have this one :(

Oh, okay. Now I understand. Thanks a lot for the clarification @VIPER_GE ! :)

Actually, Riff Box is mainly for selected Samsung devices. Apart from those, only for the ancient (first few) Motorola and HTC devices. Z3X I heard works for recent devices. I am not sure though. Give it a try. There was another JTag thing. I don't remember the name now. :( It works for all devices having Qualcomm chipset. Let me see if I can find or remember it. :eek: I'll send you the link. Between, are you a technician or something? Or just another curious one like us? :confused:

mannu233

Dec 20, 2015
patna
Can anyone just give the method to flash in bootloader

And is the file listed in the thread is enough or need some more things to unbrick

Last edited:

aravindvnair99

Can anyone just give the method to flash in bootloader

And is the file listed in the thread is enough or need some more things to unbrick

@mannu233 Some more things are required. You can try though with whatever is uploaded. I'm constantly updating the files. I'm working on this day and night. Waiting for @Balaji Sriram to join me soon.

mannu233

Dec 20, 2015
patna
@mannu233 Some more things are required. You can try though with whatever is uploaded. I'm constantly updating the files. I'm working on this day and night. Waiting for @Balaji Sriram to join me soon.

cAN you please do me a favour that i wanted to know how to use these files i haven't got any clue how to use them

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Can someone list up all files whatever is founded in the thread it would be easy for those who are looking for the files

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This DevDB project and it's related files are by Aravind V. Nair. I'm stating this because so many people are trying to impersonate me. For example, @Balaji Sriram More info: Balaji Sriram impersonating Aravind V. Nair

Most of you are probably facing battery issues. Please check what I have to say regarding that before proceeding. So many people have reported success after fixing the battery issue. Details are available at the bottom of the post

If your eMMC storage controller is corrupted, no method will work. You need to replace the motherboard. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.

Big thanks to @ariel.buszczak for his continuous support in every way he could! :)

Big thanks to @waulliano for uploading the backup.img for XT1022! Download from here :)

Introduction?

Yes, of course. Hi there!

I have a bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor. I watched so many threads on various forums to try and unbrick, but unfortunately all threads just got abandoned. Hence, I have come up with a DevDB project to try and unbrick Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor if possible. Please note, this project is only for Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022, XT1021 and XT1025 condor. Between, I also have an unbricked working Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor along with the bricked one for test purposes.

This XDA DevDB project is aimed at developers mainly to gather all possible ways to unbrick a hard-bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor, but not restricted to people who want to try their luck at unbricking their Motorola Moto E. Please don't post 3-line request like "my device is bricked, please help" as you will be ignored. If you can't do the research required to provide the right details plus finding the correct files required then, this DevDB project is not for you. The programs, its associated files & threads, etc are NOT going to be being actively developed very soon (July 10th 2017) as I get busy and involved with other things. But the thread remains open for user to post more information, additional files, updates from the public, etc. It's not here for lazy people to scream fix my device, can those type of users please speak to your retailer, cell phone service shop??

I will reiterate again, THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT THREAD AND NOT A REQUEST PAGE FOR "fix my device"

I haven't stopped working on this. I do update this XDA DevDB and my GitHub repository for the as I get time.
    Please go through this DevDB post thoroughly.

Rules and regulations:

Please click the 'Follow Project' button to get notifications every time I update files or make any other changes instead of asking me manually via PM or in thread replies. I won't reply to unsolicited spam messages. So, DO NOT waste your time crafting them.

Obey all XDA rules posted here along with CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md posted by me here.

Please read through this post and also go through the README.MD file on my GitHub repository for this project carefully and thoroughly. They are created for a reason. I won't reply to unsolicited spam messages, tags, quotes, replies, etc. So, DO NOT waste your time crafting.

Warning: I am in no way responsible for your actions. You are on your own. Please undertake all actions at your own risk.

Please compress all files before uploading to the cloud after removing personal data. I'm not going to check otherwise.

Please attach error codes and other additional information is separate files to avoid clutter. I'm NOT going to check otherwise.

DO NOT share anything from this thread. DO NOT mirror anything without prior permission. I have recently busted so many people who have tried to do so despite my warning and even got them banned.

How can I get in touch with you?

My personal blog (All social media profiles link are available):
    About Aravind V. Nair

Or

Or

Or

Where can I find the files and instructions?

Please check here: Motorola Moto E XT1022 condor files - GitHub (Aravind V. Nair)

How do I support you?

Hit the thanks button below and the 5-star button above to show your support. Also, you can 'star' and 'watch' my GitHub repository Motorola Moto E XT1022 condor files - GitHub (Aravind V. Nair).

Follow me on social media networking sites if you wish.

Donate to me if you wish by clicking here

What is the goal of this project?

The goal of this project is to gather all possible ways to unbrick a hard bricked Motorola Moto E 1st Generation XT1022 condor. Methods 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are perfectly working. Your mileage will vary with other methods. Please don't give up on first try. You need to try a lot of times and test your luck.

What is the proof that this has worked?

I have attached photos to this DevDB post. Please have a look at them.

Will this work for everyone?

As long as you haven't corrupted any of your phone's hardware, you do have chances of unbricking. If the NAND adapter or related parts are not functional, don't even expect to unbrick. A lot of you have tried weird files on the internet, so chances will reduce accordingly.

Where can I find the changelog?

I frequently update and patch things in my GitHub repository as I get time. Be sure to check the changelog here.

How do I find out which bootloader I have?

Sorry, I don't think that's possible when the phone is bricked. I'm not sure though. But definitely, your bootloader version would be the version from your last working stock OS (or custom OS, only if you flashed the motoboot.img or any other equivalent bootloader image).

If fastboot works,
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all

Can I restore factory aka original firmware if my bootloader is locked?

Yes, you can. However attempting to downgrade to an older version of Android may fail and isn't a good idea. Even with an unlocked bootloader, downgrading cannot be guaranteed. It's also important to be aware that flashing the wrong bootloader (motoboot.img) for your model can have serious consequences. Always identify your model of Moto E and verify the files before flashing.

If you downgrade your phone, it is advised to avoid all OTA updates. These updates can result in a hard-brick (phone will not turn on) if you have a newer bootloader than the one expected. For example, most of you had the Lollipop bootloader, but have downgraded to Android KitKat and thus bricking your phones.

How to disable OTA Updates?

1. Without root access

Settings > Apps > [swipe left to 'All'] > MotorolaOTA (or Motorola Update Services or something similarly named) > Disable​
    2. With root access

• Google Play Store has many apps that will allow you to 'freeze' the OTA Update service. Titanium Backup is a common example.

• Alternatively, with a 'root access' file explorer, you can delete or rename the following files:

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
        /system/priv-app/3c_ota/3c_ota.apk​
      • These additional files can be removed or renamed: (If you still get an OTA Update notification)

/system/priv-app/3c_checkin/3c_checkin.apk
        /system/priv-app/3c_devicemanagement/3c_devicemanagement.apk
        /system/priv-app/3c_notification/3c_notification.apk​

I'm a developer or programmer or want to help. Could you please give some reference links?

Yes, of course. All contributions are welcome! Code, documentation, graphics or even design suggestions are welcome; use GitHub to its fullest. Submit pull requests, contribute tutorials or other wiki content -- whatever you have to offer, it would be appreciated!

Please feel free to get in touch with me. I'll always be available even after the deadline. Refer CONTRIBUTING.md on my GitHub repository for reference material and other things.

What are the possible methods of unbricking?

Refer Unbrick methods.md on my GitHub repository.

Where can I download the firmware files?

Check my GitHub README.md file for all files for all models or alterantively Moto E Factory Firmware Images by @lost101

Moto E won't power on. Only white light LED comes up when connecting powers source. Can I charge on AC, etc.

This has nothing to do with clearing cache, recovery and other nonsense. It is just a problem of overly discharged battery when the battery voltage drops below the 3.8 V, which is the minimum voltage of LiPo aka Lithium ion Polymer battery. Unlike other phones, all Motorola devices come with LiPo batteries.

When the battery reaches less than 0%, i.e., less than 3.8 V the phone will not allow it to turn on, as it is harmful for the battery and it might burst. So for these physical security reasons, the phone's adapter chipset/regulator stops the battery from charging. I faced the same problem many times while bricking and unbricking. One thing you could try is to jumpstart the battery by providing excessive power at your own risk, or consider replacing the battery. It is advisable, to never let the battery fall below 10 %. Below 0 %, the internal resistance or rather the impedance of the battery increases to a very very high constant, thus rendering the battery in a 'cannot be charged state'. I won't by trying to fix via firmware as it is very dangerous to charge a battery in such a state. We do not want another bomb apart from the already existing Samsung Galaxy Note 7, do we? :laugh: :D

Please check your battery voltage using a multimeter or voltmeter and contact me with the same. Please be very careful when removing the battery as Moto E has a loose pin and is easy to break. Caution advised!! For checking using multimeter, set to DC 20 Volts and use the correct input pins. For voltmeter, just use any DC voltmeter having a range of 0-5 Volts.

If the voltage is below 3.8 V, you have to replace the battery. If it is between 3.3 - 3.5 V, you have chances of resurrecting the battery. So try using a above 2 A charger (connecting to laptop won't work as that is just 0.5 A) and leave it like that for about 5 days continuous. Below 3.3 V, please replace the battery. It's not advisable to try and jumpstart.

For the prerequisites, you need a T4 Torx screwdriver and a new Moto E battery. Please buy genuine things. You could have a look at Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, IFIXIT, Snapdeal, etc and also offline stores. Search with the model number of the battery. For XT1022, XT1021 and XT1025, it is Motorola EL40 manufactured by SONY Electronics with a typical mAh of 1980 and minimum of 1860 mAh aka 1860/1980 mAh (min/typ) and 7.1/7.5 Wh (min/typ).

PLEASE DO NOT USE AC TO CHARGE DC BATTERIES DIRECTLY.

You have a high risk of causing serious damage. You might end up killing yourself! Please do not try this. To charge in this manner, you need a bridge rectifier. Noobs, please don't even venture here or think of making it. The battery will not get charged because AC supply changes its polarity after each half cycle. In India, it changes 50 times per second, Brazil 60. Therefore, the battery will be charged in one half cycle and discharged in the next half cycle. So basically, you are damaging the battery due to frequent charging and discharging cycles. Please do not try this!! There is high risk of fire damage and explosion. Those of you who already tried this, please discard the battery immediately to a recycling firm or any other relevant organisation for your country or city. It is not advisable to keep a spoilt battery at home. Using a resistor is not a good idea either as a resistor obeys Ohm's Law which states that the current flowing through any conductor, in this case the battery, is directly proportional to the potential difference across the terminals. So you wouldn't have a steady output. A diode would be preferable. Those who have no clue about these, please do not venture here. I reiterate, I won't be held accountable for any damage caused by you to yourself or your belongings or to anything else.

I was using the Moto E and it suddenly died. What do I do?

Step 1: Open up the phone as I have mentioned earlier. (If you read whatever I have written, you should be knowing what I'm talking about.)
    Step 2: Detach the battery. Be very careful not to destroy any internal parts such as the connector which is very fragile.
    Step 3: Connect the official charger. (Other chargers didn't work for me always during my testing.)
    Step 4: Wait for the screen to say 0% or battery not connected or even if the screen turns on, consider yourself lucky.
    Step 5: Attach the battery and reassemble the phone without removing the Moto charger.
    Step 6: Go to fastboot, unlock the bootloader and use my fastboot unbrick script for your OS (I have made for Linux, Windows and MacOS). Leave it on charger for a day or two after this.
    Step 7: Voila!

This is caused due to undercharging, overcharging or excessive battery drain cycles. In case the phone doesn't power on after connecting battery, check that the EMF of the battery is above 2.9 V with a multimeter as mentioned before.

How to power on Moto E without charger and unbrick?

Safest way is to use the original Motorola charger. As far as I have seen, all the original Motorola chargers have the 4th pin available. For the geeks:

Pin 1: VDD (+5V)
    Pin 2: D- (Data-)
    Pin 3: D+ (Data+)
    Pin 4: ID (ID)
    Pin 5: GND (Ground)

The additional pin added to the conventional USB port is the ID pin added to the 4th electrical pin which allows to recognize the device. The technical name is micro USB - B for the one on the charger and mini USB - A for the one on the charger. You can bypass power using this concept. This too is strictly not for noobs.

Errors:

Code:
    Preflash validation failed

Buy a new phone. I doubt anyone can help you now...

Code:
    Not able to flash GPT / Motoboot

You are not using the right firmware. Try another firmware.

Code:
    FAILED (blank-flash: sdl-transfer-image: sdl-hello: invalid HDLC frame)

or

Code:
    FAILED (blank-flash: sdl-transfer-image: sdl-hello: error sending packet)

Your bootloader files do not match your bootloader version, use another bootloader.

Code:
    Stuck on Opening device: .  COM ??

or

Code:
    Greeting device for command (Or any other) mode

or

Code:
    Switch To FireHose (Or any other) mode

Press and hold power button until detection or until flashing begins.

I'm fed up!! Nothing is working for me!!

Calm down!! Replace your motherboard and/or battery and/or screen, whichever is spoilt. That's the easiest option. But it wouldn't be a good choice to buy new parts now. The phone is quite old. I suggest you buy a new phone instead. That would be a wiser idea. Methods 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are perfectly working. Your mileage will vary with other methods. Please don't give up on first try. You need to try a lot of times and test your luck. You are the one who brought your device to this condition. Only you can help yourself.

Does this project have a website?

Yes, a very basic one though. Check here.

Please go through this XDA DevDB main post and my GitHub repository for the same before commenting, messaging or posting.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unbrick hard bricked Motorola Moto E, Tool/Utility for the Moto E

Contributors
    aravindvnair99, Thanks for all support! :)
    Source Code: https://github.com/aravindvnair99/Motorola-Moto-E-XT1022-condor-unbrick

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 309
    Stable Release Date: 2018-05-29
    Current Beta Version: 309
    Beta Release Date: 2018-05-29

Created 2017-05-01
    Last Updated 2018-05-29
    So should we lose hope in unbrick for your project?
    I'm sad to hear this:crying:

@Welberth Definitely not! I'm not the only one on this planet who can make, though I might be the only one trying now. Between, on request of so many people who messaged me, I'm starting from scratch. I making the partition layout now. Luckily, I had posted some of my files on GitHub. I managed to recover 60% of my stuff. I have no plans of giving up now. I managed to unbrick my phone. So, even you all should be able to. What happened was I unbricked yesterday with QFIL. I got too excited and was deleting everything except the QPST stuff. By mistake, I chose the QPST folder too. And I have a habit of pressing 'Shift + Delete' which doesn't move files to Recycle Bin. I run servers on my system, so it became more of a permanent delete. I am continuing at the moment. Although, I would progress slowly after July 10th as I will be involved with other stuff... (I'm under 18... I have to give more preference to my studies...)

There is no case with the motorola xt1021 will have to wait for motorola large signed files?

C:\Users\alanpc\Desktop\Motorola-Moto-E-XT1022-condor-unbrick-master\Blank Flash>.\qboot.exe blank-flash
    opening device: \\.\COM6
    OKAY [ 0.008s]
    greeting device for command mode
    OKAY [ 0.004s]
    identifying device
    ...serial = 0x4161A6B
    ...chip-id = 0x811
    ...chip-rev = 0x0
    ...sv-sbl = 0x0
    OKAY [ 0.010s]
    finding files
    ...programmer = programmer.mbn
    ...singleimage = singleimage.bin
    OKAY [ 0.008s]
    validating files
    FAILED (blank-flash:validate-rdl:could not open file)

C:\Users\alanpc\Desktop\Motorola-Moto-E-XT1022-condor-unbrick-master\Blank Flash>pause
    Presione una tecla para continuar . . .

@alanmdo I have clearly mentioned not to use Blank Flash. Why can't all the newcomers read what I have written???!!

A note to all, henceforth I won't be replying to silly questions. Please read through things when I update stuff!!! I already unbricked the Moto E I have. I'm investing lot of time, effort and money just for you all!! So, please show some respect!!! Useful questions are always welcome.
    Balaji Sriram impersonating Aravind V. Nair

@Balaji Sriram, what is this: Post by Balaji Sriram impersonating Aravind V. Nair ???? What authority or right do you have to use my files and identity as yours? You didn't even help a tiny bit. Only @ariel.buszczak helped so far. And that too, only for managing the replies, testing my files and downloading. He himself approached me and gave me enough respect. I have given back the same respect and also gave him credits for his support. That is how one should be!!

Android developer it seems. I bet you copied that 'Moto G5 Launcher Yureka Port' from somewhere else. And based on what I see (I decompiled it), that is just an AOSP launcher modded with some Motorola tags. Also, the certificate is signed for '[email protected]' and not your personal email address which clearly shows it is AOSP and not by you.

I hope you don't get selected at all. Seriously man??!! I had given clear instructions not to copy and also included an MIT copyright license. Still you had the guts to do this? And you even used my name with your name as 'Balaji Aravind Sriram Nair'? You even mentioned my GitHub account as your account!!?? This shows how audacious you are!!

@mannu233 He even tried tagging you saying you are his brother. There is a limit to lying @Balaji Sriram!! It's not about you trying to take my fame. I don't care about fame. Fame is just a drug. It is about you blabbering nonsense and people will think I'm the one responsible behind everything as your are using my name and identity along with my stuff. I just hope you get banned from the XDA and YU forums for your indecent behaviour.

If you don't have any idea about Android, just admit that and move forward instead of making a fool out of everyone. You can always learn later. Why lie and deceive? And mind you, you may fool a few, but never all. Unbricked Moto E?? Oh, really? Could you please show some proofs like I have shown? You are a big time crook who tried to fool all the innocent users. I didn't voice myself earlier when you wanted backup.img so badly. But now I am. That file won't work unless you have a custom recovery running live. And all that does is clone a phone. So if some innocent user had given you that, you would have access to all his stuff. You are a big time cheat and crook. And you though I wouldn't find you, did you? A request to all, please do not upload backup.img if you care about yourself. It includes every single bit of personal data stored on your phone.

And you also made multiple fake accounts to get yourself into the YU Developer Account by giving credit and showing support for yourself??! Seriously?! :confused: :mad:

Everyone, please look at all fifteen thumbnails. And @Balaji Sriram, now I know why you where in such a hurry to get this project done by me!!
    My Friends Played Trick By Creating Fake account and I don't own Yu

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Don't Worry Aravind Nair I scolded my Friends They will Remove the Post By Tommorow.Sorry for the inconvience caused

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Please stop fooling around and admit you did it. Committing mistakes is fine. But accepting the mistakes and correcting them is heavenly. Also, I refuse to accept what you have said and on the contrary, I believe you are cooking things up. Why would anyone go to this extend to create a prank? Why would your friends know A-Z of what I'm doing? Why would your friends even bother to do such a prank when they could have done easier pranks? And why even prank on this context?
    Sorry..
    I thought "FAQ" was somewhere in this thread. So I asked it. I appreciate your work and commitment.
    Thank you.
    I want to ask 1 question again.
    How to find it's hard brick or soft brick?
    My device notification light turns on when connected to charger and goes off in a half second. And after that light never starts.
    Also, when connected to computer, notification light turns on and turns off immediately. But in this case after some specific time interval it starts again and turns off immediately.
    Nothing displayed on screen. Can you please tell me is it hard brick or something else?
    Because I was doing nothing on it. It was discharged completely at first. Then I charged it to 28%.
    From Next morning all this happening..
    :(

@amit.tiger12 Oh, okay... No problem... And you're welcome! :) Is the time interval 40 seconds or 1 minute 20 seconds? Can you time it and get back to me? And please don't hesitate in asking any questions... You are free to ask... :) For the identification of brick, if fastboot or any other interface turns on, it is a soft boot. Which means, if your display turns on (Check in a dark room.) it is a soft brick. I can help you easily if it's a soft brick. I have published the same on GitHub already.

It is neither hardbricked nor soft bricked problem is your battery it's voltage gone down below 3.8v so it ain't powering on..
    I'm also facing this problem most probably we have to change the battery..

@Shaikh Arbaaz Hardware issues can brick a phone. Please test your battery using a multimeter or voltmeter as I have mentioned in the main post.

@aravindvnair99 Do you have any idea how long it will take on average? (Because according to its time I will decide to wait or buy another cell phone)

Another thing, method 1 that uses qfil does not currently work?

Thank you so much for using your time in this unbrick project !!! And sorry for my english

@Welberth Umm.. Sorry, I can't give an exact date yet. All I can say now is that I have no plans of giving up as of now. I keep updating, so stay tuned. And you're welcome! :) Between, your English is fine to understand... No issues... Just don't mention 'Do you have any idea...' which is kind of rude to some people. Don't worry.. You haven't hurt my feelings... :) Between, do you have a spare phone? If not, I recommend you get one as it might take some time for me to finalise this project.