[UNBRICK] [ROOT] [TWRP] Fire TV 2 (sloane)

Search This thread

G S W

Mar 27, 2017
Will a root ever be available for 5.2.7.7? I STUPIDLY updated to latest OS before I knew all about rooting and stuff. Using Sloane 2nd gen box

and if rooting will never be an option, what IS my best option? Can I install a pre-rooted rom? Is it possible to use a custom launcher still? I tried de-bloating some files using ADB from techdockeruk and literally all the apps I uninstalled gets re-installed after reboot. 5.2.7.7 ****ed everything up....

I’m so sad I updated :(

LazorBlind

Feb 25, 2020
Will a root ever be available for 5.2.7.7? I STUPIDLY updated to latest OS before I knew all about rooting and stuff. Using Sloane 2nd gen box

and if rooting will never be an option, what IS my best option? Can I install a pre-rooted rom? Is it possible to use a custom launcher still? I tried de-bloating some files using ADB from techdockeruk and literally all the apps I uninstalled gets re-installed after reboot. 5.2.7.7 ****ed everything up....

I’m so sad I updated :(
If you can brick your Sloane, you should be able to use the newer vision of amonet to downgrade your firmware and root it

Seattleweather

Oct 30, 2016
PROCEDURE:
Open up the device. You can use a pick or a kinfe or any special tool to open it up.
1. Locate DAT0 in the attatched image. You will need to flip the motherboard.
2. Download amonet-mt8173-sloane from downloads and unpack it.
3. Open the unpacked folder of amonet, open a terminal inside it and type:
Code:
sudo ./bootrom-step.sh

I did procedure 3, but got error message: sudo ./bootrom-step.sh command not found. Even though i could see bootrom-step.sh in the same folder using ls command. i also tried ./bootrom-step.sh, and i got Permission denied. What's wrong?

Thanks.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Reactions: Seattleweather

stillwater77

Mar 28, 2021
Thank you for this guide. I used it to restore my FTV2 after bricking it (Amazon Logo) while trying to unroot and going back to a stock rom from the 5.2.7.6 prerooted rom. I could not use the preloader variant.

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
Been away from fire devices for a while, have a friend who is selling a fire tv gen 2 box fairly cheap and might be interested in buying it for bedroom. I've asked what version it's on and it is 5.2.7.7 I've read through posts but cannot seem to find the answer, so if anyone could answer that would be great.
I want to root and install twrp but the box is on 5.2.7.7, is this still possible and how would I go about this ?
Appreciate any pointers guys.
Thanks

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Been away from fire devices for a while, have a friend who is selling a fire tv gen 2 box fairly cheap and might be interested in buying it for bedroom. I've asked what version it's on and it is 5.2.7.7 I've read through posts but cannot seem to find the answer, so if anyone could answer that would be great.
I want to root and install twrp but the box is on 5.2.7.7, is this still possible and how would I go about this ?
Appreciate any pointers guys.
Thanks

Yes, you've to do the OP from this thread (old BL-locked/prerooted style), or do the unlocked/magisk thing from this thread:

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
Yes, you've to do the OP from this thread (old BL-locked/prerooted style), or do the unlocked/magisk thing from this thread:
OK thanks for the reply.
I went out and bought it, cost me £35 uk pounds. I have it now in front of me and gathering as much info on how to go about this procedure now.
I'm assuming both these would require me to open up and do the short ? Can I ask which (if either) will give me full unlock bootloader and able to use magisk ?
Again thanks for your time and reply.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
OK thanks for the reply.
I went out and bought it, cost me £35 uk pounds. I have it now in front of me and gathering as much info on how to go about this procedure now.
I'm assuming both these would require me to open up and do the short ? Can I ask which (if either) will give me full unlock bootloader and able to use magisk ?
Again thanks for your time and reply.

The URL in my last post above is the new unlock, for use with the stock rom and magisk.
TWRP gets flashed to the recovery partition and fastboot flash works too.

Yes, the procedere requires an open box and a shorting on DAT0, but it should work fine (it may be that you need a few trys until it works). Don't damage the DAT0 resistor, or the box won't boot anymore (without a proper replacement part). Good luck :)

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
The URL in my last post above is the new unlock, for use with the stock rom and magisk.
TWRP gets flashed to the recovery partition and fastboot flash works too.

Yes, the procedere requires an open box and a shorting on DAT0, but it should work fine (it may be that you need a few trys until it works). Don't damage the DAT0 resistor, or the box won't boot anymore (without a proper replacement part). Good luck :)
Thanks, I have previously used the short method on fire sticks, I did have a fire tv gen 2 a long time ago which I rooted with software.
Anyway, to carry out the procedure I used rolled up tinfoil, after 3 tries I got it.
I booted to twrp, formatted as per instructions, installed 5.2.7.6 (this is the most recent I could find) installed magisk and rebooted.
Set up everything in Fire OS and sent over the command to disable updates.
I have 1 issue I have found so far, my prime video isn't working for some reason, I have a prime account but when I try to launch a prime video it fails to launch.
Have you any idea why this might be occurring?
Also, I'm wondering (as I had to disable updates) my box was trying to update to 5.2.7.8, is there a 5.2.7.8 bin file floating about so I can do the procedure with the updated rom ?
Maybe this could sort the prime video out.
Again, all your help is appreciated.

Reactions: Bertonumber1

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
I have 1 issue I have found so far, my prime video isn't working for some reason, I have a prime account but when I try to launch a prime video it fails to launch.
Have you any idea why this might be occurring?
Also, I'm wondering (as I had to disable updates) my box was trying to update to 5.2.7.8, is there a 5.2.7.8 bin file floating about so I can do the procedure with the updated rom ?
Maybe this could sort the prime video out.
Again, all your help is appreciated.
Idk, should work fine imho.
You can try 5.2.7.7 from here:

But I think you can also let the ota-updater do its thing, TWRP will rename the .bin file to .zip and flash it... (this works only in case it is a full rom. If not, at the next reboot the ota-updater pulls a full ota update). Then a reboot recovery + magisk flash is enough in order to root it again.

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
@sconnyuk
Here is the URL for 5.2.7.8...
Yea, I re enabled auto updates and it updated to 5.2.7.8.
I then adb reboot recovery from my computer and it booted to twrp where I re flashed magisk.
My prime and Netflix are back working now so thanks again.
Another slightly off topic question, back in the days I had a few fire devices setup and rooted I also had custom launchers setup, different devices required different approaches to get the home button to forward straight to my launchers.
I've been at it a couple hours so far trying to find how to get my home button to direct me to my custom launcher, also to boot up to my custom launcher/come out of screensaver or sleep mode too.
Any ideas?

Yea, I re enabled auto updates and it updated to 5.2.7.8.
I then adb reboot recovery from my computer and it booted to twrp where I re flashed magisk.
My prime and Netflix are back working now so thanks again.
Another slightly off topic question, back in the days I had a few fire devices setup and rooted I also had custom launchers setup, different devices required different approaches to get the home button to forward straight to my launchers.
I've been at it a couple hours so far trying to find how to get my home button to direct me to my custom launcher, also to boot up to my custom launcher/come out of screensaver or sleep mode too.
Any ideas?
hi sconnyuk , not seen you around for a while mate , hope youre well .
yes amazon have been pushing ota through and removing accessibility settings and non rooted adb access to the launcher setttings and **** like that .

you can install your launcher and 0815hoffis setttings root apk or marcus firetools as its also known (fireos settings replacement) then pm disable com.amazon.tv.launcher and com.amazon.firehomestarter .

Dunno if it will work on 5.2.7.8 though i had to downgrade to 5.2.7.3 to get the home button to work on sloane.

On the mantis techdoctoruk launcher manager works well but i dunno if it will work on sloane. You may have to downgrade just for sake of custom launcher/homebutton as 5.2.7.3 upwards (i think) gets touch and go with launchers .

regards

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
hi sconnyuk , not seen you around for a while mate , hope youre well .
yes amazon have been pushing ota through and removing accessibility settings and non rooted adb access to the launcher setttings and **** like that .

you can install your launcher and 0815hoffis setttings root apk or marcus firetools as its also known (fireos settings replacement) then pm disable com.amazon.tv.launcher and com.amazon.firehomestarter .

Dunno if it will work on 5.2.7.8 though i had to downgrade to 5.2.7.3 to get the home button to work on sloane.

On the mantis techdoctoruk launcher manager works well but i dunno if it will work on sloane. You may have to downgrade just for sake of custom launcher/homebutton as 5.2.7.3 upwards (i think) gets touch and go with launchers .

regards
Very well Bertonumber1 hope you are good too.
Yea not been on in a long time, well actually I've browsed the forums but thats about it.
Anyway as for the reply thanks, there isn't much use being on the latest version I'll downgrade to 5.2.7.3 if I'm able to find it (have you got the clean un rooted version by any chance ?).
If I pm disable amazon launcher will I lose the settings ? I do watch prime video too, any idea if this still works if I've pm disabled the launcher ?
Appreciate your help mate.

jbvid

Aug 2, 2017
Hi Guys
I have the Wolf custom launcher working well on my AFTV2. Techdoctoruk.com/Tutorials, scroll down to 'Use custom launcher on all Amazon devices (Oct 2020)'
Regards jb

Reactions: Bertonumber1
Very well Bertonumber1 hope you are good too.
Yea not been on in a long time, well actually I've browsed the forums but thats about it.
Anyway as for the reply thanks, there isn't much use being on the latest version I'll downgrade to 5.2.7.3 if I'm able to find it (have you got the clean un rooted version by any chance ?).
If I pm disable amazon launcher will I lose the settings ? I do watch prime video too, any idea if this still works if I've pm disabled the launcher ?
Appreciate your help mate.
Hey mate

sorry I so late getting back to you..

Here ya go :

I don't use prime but if you disable (not sure if you can use ftvlaunchx to save you from doing this)

com.amazon.tv.launcher and com.amazon.firehomestarter

Then you will need a replacement path to settings. @0815hoffi had one kicking around.

Regards

ctexy

Aug 12, 2012
Hey guys, just thought I'd check if I'm in the right place.

I have previously rooted my fire TV 2 (don't remember the method it was years ago), and have TWRP. I'm on fire OS 5.0.5.1 though.

Whatever I did before disabled auto updates which is a good thing, but I wanted to see how I can get to the latest os while still being rooted as before. Don't mind factory resetting if I have to.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Friend. Do you have modem manager disabled per instructions.
    Did you remember to give the amonet folder with the files full root permissions with write
    access .

I would also try the version of amonet Sloane that has gpx fix .

Run the gpx fix .

Then after that try the files again .

Its extremely important though that the folder of the files are given full root , and
    write permissions. What I do is either in mint or ubuntu, in the amonet Sloane folder
    I right click and go on properties ,then I give each file in that folder write access.

also make sure when entering commands to start the process that you begin with sudo
    This guide is only for the Fire TV 2 2015 (not stick) codenamed "sloane" with mt8173.
    This will flash correct partitions and TWRP into it.
    This WILL NOT clean RPMB neither will unlock the device.
    I am not responsable of any physical damage in your device, YOU choose to make this modifications.

NOTE: Full unlock has been released, please refer to this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-firetv-2-sloane.4222331/
    NOTE: You will need to open the device so be prepared ;)
    NOTE: This will flash 5.6.2.8 images meaning RPMB will be updated.

MATERIAL NEEDED:
    • Linux based system.
    • USB A-A Cable.
    • Something conductive (paperclip, tweezers, etc).
    • Something to open the device.

- Install python3, PySerial, adb, fastboot:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt install python3 python3-serial adb fastboot

- Uninstall/disable modemmanager:
    Code:
    sudo apt remove modemmanager

PROCEDURE:
    Open up the device. You can use a pick or a kinfe or any special tool to open it up.
    1. Locate DAT0 in the attatched image. You will need to flip the motherboard.
    2. Download amonet-mt8173-sloane from downloads and unpack it.
    3. Open the unpacked folder of amonet, open a terminal inside it and type:
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
    4. Wait until you see something like:
    Code:
    [2019-02-07 14:35:59.478924] Waiting for bootrom
    5. Once that message shows up, connect the A-A cable but not the power supply. After that, prepare the short and at same time you short DAT0 with GND, plug in the power supply to the wall.
    6. The script will ask you to remove the short. When this happens, stop shorting DAT0 and then press enter.
    7. Wait until it finishes.
    8. The device should now reboot into TWRP. Please, consider now flashing a prerooted ROM or LineageOS 12.1 for get full TWRP.

NOTES:
    In lsusb boot-rom shows up as:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0e8d:0003 MediaTek Inc. MT6227 phone
    If you see:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0e8d:2000 MediaTek Inc. MT65xx Preloader
    means you're in preloader mode. Try shorting again.

If somehow you have a corrupt gpt (shouldn't happen), just run:
    Code:
    sudo ./gpt-fix.sh

If TWRP freezes, DON'T UNPLUG THE THE POWER SUPPLY, instead, open an adb shell session and type the following command to restart TWRP:
    Code:
    killall recovery

Please, your bootloader is still LOCKED. If you flash custom kernels/unsigned boots (i.e: Magisk Manager, etc) the bootloader will refuse to load the boot image and you will be not able to boot in TWRP anymore unless you re-unbrick the device.

- @CFKod for his patience and for test the script;)
    - @retyre & @k4y0z for the initial port to mt8173:)
    - @xyz` for his original exploit for the HD8 2018.
    - @Sus_i for locate DAT0, DAT1 and DAT2.
    - @rbox for TWRP/Boot menu.

DOWNLOAD:
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it a lot.
    Anyway, if @k4y0z wants it will be better, I'm almost sure that he can unlock the bootloader of sloane. Obviously if he wants and has time.:)
    I will wait for his response.
    Cheers.
    Brick no more!!
    thank you for your patience and knowledge.

My brick was because I wiped system.

I've added another photo, I simply shorted against the metal hole circled in the picture. This is so useful, it not only unbricks, it allows for downgrade of preloader
    Meaning I was then able to resolve my lack of system with @rbox unbrick image.

Also it's so much quicker than flashing via mediatek inject. Wooooo
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.
    @Rortiz2 What issues did you have with clearing RPMB?
    That has worked unmodified an all the other devices.