[UNBRICK] [ROOT] [TWRP] Fire TV 2 (sloane)

Search This thread
Hey guys, just thought I'd check if I'm in the right place.

I have previously rooted my fire TV 2 (don't remember the method it was years ago), and have TWRP. I'm on fire OS 5.0.5.1 though.

Whatever I did before disabled auto updates which is a good thing, but I wanted to see how I can get to the latest os while still being rooted as before. Don't mind factory resetting if I have to.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Hey @ctexy

Jeez.. That's a really old firmware maybe the museum would like that;)
The best and easiest way is to unlock the device and update the firmware.

You can follow the steps here :

This will unlock your Sloane and let you either flash a prerooted rom or rename a .bin file to zip and flash supersu or Magisk after it.

Either way resulting in an updated box.

Regards

Last edited:

ctexy

Aug 12, 2012
Hey @ctexy

Jeez.. That's a really old firmware maybe the museum would like that;)
The best and easiest way is to unlock the device and update the firmware.

You can follow the steps here :

This will unlock your Sloane and let you either flash a prerooted rom or rename a .bin file to zip and flash supersu or Magisk after it.

Either way resulting in an updated box.

Regards
Thank you so much for your reply!

Ok I will try this. Nice to know that since I have twrp already (even though it's 5 years old) I don't have to open the device, just flash something.

Just to check on that last point, once I've "unlocked" the device (I presume unlocked is not the same as rooted with recovery), I can either flash a prerooted ROM (from this forum yes?)

OR

Flash a stock ROM (I see them linked in the latest posts on the thread you linked) then after I've done that (by renaming that stock rom to .zip in order to flash it in twrp) I should immediately then flash SuperSU or magisk while still in twrp?

Thanks!

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Flash a stock ROM (I see them linked in the latest posts on the thread you linked) then after I've done that (by renaming that stock rom to .zip in order to flash it in twrp) I should immediately then flash SuperSU or magisk while still in twrp?

Flash a Stock zip.
If you need SU inside the fireOS, flash magisk (you can do this anytime later, if you like).
Don't flash the prerooted on an unlocked box and don't flash supersu, that isn't recommended.

ccf801

Sep 9, 2021
Hope you can help me.
I did the procedure following everything in this guide.

However, when I finally boot into
Twrp it is not recognizing the
internal fire TV storage.

I've tried all the reformat and or wipe options. Basically I tried everything but it don't recognize
The storage to allow me to install any rom on it. Any workaround
would be greatly appreciated, this
Box is driving me crazy . thanks so much.

Ccf

Hope you can help me.
I did the procedure following everything in this guide.

However, when I finally boot into
Twrp it is not recognizing the
internal fire TV storage.

I've tried all the reformat and or wipe options. Basically I tried everything but it don't recognize
The storage to allow me to install any rom on it. Any workaround
would be greatly appreciated, this
Box is driving me crazy . thanks so much.

Ccf
@ccf801 Hey,

OK
Goto wipe
Adavnced wipe
Click data
Repair / change file system
Select ext2, swipe to change
When it's done,
Select ext4 and swipe to return it

Return to main twrp menu and check by selecting "install" "select storage" you should now see your storage 5145mb yadda yadda

Before reboot make sure you have adb pushed whatever you intend to flash cos you're internal storage maybe or may not be wiped..

If you need help with anything
Give me a shout

Regards

Last edited:
hi i m getting this error in firetv (sloane) 2nd generation

pls help
Screenshot 2022-01-08 163318.png

What are you trying to achieve here in windows cmd ? Fastboot flash stock images ?

Please elaborate whether you are trying to unlock your device or not . if you are you will need a Linux installation with terminal to achieve this.

More info please
hi
thanks for the reply
i m using firetv2 (sloane) ios 5.2.8.0..
i m trying to root my firetv2 box .. i m a bit confused from where i should start. i tried to root and followed the procedure provided by aftv.com but get some error.
pls help me regarding root my firetv2

thanks

hi
thanks for the reply
i m using firetv2 (sloane) ios 5.2.8.0..
i m trying to root my firetv2 box .. i m a bit confused from where i should start. i tried to root and followed the procedure provided by aftv.com but get some error.
pls help me regarding root my firetv2

thanks
hey, This is where you want to be looking

There you may follow the steps carefully and unlock/root your Firetv 2.

if you require assistance with any of the steps just ask in that thread and someone will assist you.

Regards

wwwkkk

Mar 1, 2022
Hi there,

hope someone can help.
I`ve following probs:

[2022-03-01 11:49:52.442212] all good
[2022-03-01 11:49:52.442291] Check GPT
[2022-03-01 11:49:54.230532] gpt_parsed = {'PRO_INFO': (1024, 254), 'NVRAM': (2048, 10240), 'TEE1': (12288, 10240), 'TEE2': (22528, 10240), 'lk': (32768, 2048), 'boot': (34816, 51200), 'recovery': (86016, 51200), 'KB': (137216, 2048), 'D
[2022-03-01 11:49:54.230787] Check boot0
[2022-03-01 11:49:54.488620] Check rpmb
[2022-03-01 11:49:54.693565] RPMB: b'AMZN\x01\x00\x00\x00\x04\x00\x05\x01\x02\x00Xc\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x
[2022-03-01 11:49:54.693872] Clear preloader header
[8 / 8]
[2022-03-01 11:49:55.073178] Flashing TEE..
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/root/Downloads/amonet-sloane-v1.3/modules/main.py", line 164, in <module>
main()
File "/root/Downloads/amonet-sloane-v1.3/modules/main.py", line 126, in main
flash_binary(dev, "../bin/tz.img", gpt["TEE1"][0], gpt["TEE1"][1] * 0x200)
File "/root/Downloads/amonet-sloane-v1.3/modules/main.py", line 56, in flash_binary
dev.emmc_write(start_block + x, data[x * 0x200:(x + 1) * 0x200])
File "/root/Downloads/amonet-sloane-v1.3/modules/common.py", line 200, in emmc_write
code = self.dev.read(4)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 595, in read
raise SerialException(
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
[[email protected] ~/Downloads/amonet-sloane-v1.3]#

what is it? Can anyone help ?

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Reactions: wwwkkk

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
Hi everyone .
When I try to flash lineage , twrp gets lost , and the os won't boot .
I tried on lineage 12 , however the devs put out another release after that for lineage
on sloane and I wonder if the newer release would work now . idk.

I was unlocked , flashed twrp with supersu .
I also have this brick problem if I try anything under about 5.6 .7.

Do you guys think I was hit with an efuse update so I can't go back to original 5.4

Also every time I flashed I added the super su in twrp.

I'm confused cause only about 5.6.7 flashes successfully and boots .

I tried everything else and its a brick with also no twrp .

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Hi everyone .
When I try to flash lineage , twrp gets lost , and the os won't boot .
I tried on lineage 12 , however the devs put out another release after that for lineage
on sloane and I wonder if the newer release would work now . idk.
Do you talk about the old twrp with bootmenu from rbox?
I was unlocked , flashed twrp with supersu .
I also have this brick problem if I try anything under about 5.6 .7.

Do you guys think I was hit with an efuse update so I can't go back to original 5.4

Also every time I flashed I added the super su in twrp.

I'm confused cause only about 5.6.7 flashes successfully and boots .

I tried everything else and its a brick with also no twrp .
There isn't an efuse flasher in the images for sloane.
If your box was really unlocked, supersu or the prerooted roms aren't a good choice... Flashing clean stock roms and use magisk for systemless root is way better.

Anyways, there is a new unbrick/unlock/root solution here:

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
Does anyone know what I would need to do to allow the original style
firmware to accept the flash. the first ones that originally came with the box .

I can't get anything below 5.6 to work.
I just hate that updated newer os interface and I miss the original.

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
Hello all,

Thanks for maintaining this rom! I'm writing because I was successfully running the rooted rbox rom for years. However, I did not boot up my AFTV for a few months. I turned it on this week and experienced the following boot loop: Amazon logo against a white background, turning on and off, with a blinking light.

To fix this, I opened up my FireTV box and after successfully shorting it, ran both bootrom-step.sh and fastboot-step.sh. Although the AFTV2 didn't immediately boot into recovery, I then ran boot-recovery.sh and finally my AFTV was in TWRP (please see screenshots initial_success_twrp.jpeg and initial_success_preloader.jpeg).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get back into TWRP. Once I got into TWRP through the steps above, I wiped (using the option to type in 'yes') and rebooted into recovery. Since then, I have been in a new boot loop - this time, there is no Amazon flash screen. The light turns on and off.

When I try to re-run the bootrom-step.sh, I keep getting the same input/output error (please see the attached log bootrom_io_error.png).

Also, now when I run boot-recovery.sh, it seems to get through the process without error but I still cannot get to recovery (please see the attached log boot_recovery_error.png). The same thing happens with boot-fastboot.sh. From dmesg (also attached as a screenshot) the USB device seems to come on in preloader mode and then turn off.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• initial_success_preloader.jpeg
    initial_success_preloader.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • dmesg_preloader_error.jpeg
    dmesg_preloader_error.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • initial_success_twrp.jpeg
    initial_success_twrp.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • boot_recovery_error.png
    boot_recovery_error.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 4
  • bootrom_io_error.png
    bootrom_io_error.png
    581.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
I know other people had success doing this process in different iterations , but I would
only use 2 of the files . yes ,use the bootrom .step but after you get the terminal message saying success , while still in terminal what I always use is fastboot.step .

This will complete the process and finish flashing twrp .

I'm not a dev so I can't tell you why some people had success using the other files
after the bootrom.step .

I do know for myself though I always used bootrom.step ,
and while in terminal and after message from finishing step 1 , I immediately enter the
fastboot.step that finishes up the recovery flash.

Also the mediatek exploit ain't perfect .
You could do everything right but still not get it .

sometimes it takes many tries .

I would also try the process with different versions of the package .
Meaning from older package to new.

I also had issues with the newer one.

One more thing , make sure the package containing the files has full root permissions.

If it does not . IT WILL FAIL .

Chris.

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
Yea ,definitely try the older package versions.
I believe there's gonna be an older package that will work better for you.

It all is dependent partly on when your exact unit was manufactured.
Thanks for getting back to me.
bootrom-step.sh from amonet-sloane-v1.1 worked initially, and after running fastboot-step.sh from the same package, I was able to get into TWRP. However, after performing a wipe (the option that requires typing 'yes') I get nothing but a blank screen and a flashing light.

Should I start over and try shorting it again and running bootrom-step.sh from amonet-sloane-v1.0.0 or amonet-sloane-v1.0.1? Or will I eventually get over the I/O error if I keep re-trying to short it and re-run bootrom-step.sh from the v1.1 package?

I'm just trying to understand why bootrom-step.sh worked initially, but now consistently gives the I/O error.

Thank you.

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
ok. Yes Get twrp reinstalled first .

How I install the rom while in twrp is I copy the zip file to SD card. and also you should have a copy of super su .

Now take that micro SD card and insert it into your fire .
Reboot . while in twrp recovery

Go to wipe , select data

Now choose switch file system to ext2 , select format. use right bar button swipe to complete.
Hit back button , now select ext4 . format in xt4 format.

Hit back bottom .
Now go to install . select from bottom right of menu , install zip from,
select your external SD card from the menu .

choose the ROM file zip.

Select install .

When done , now go back ,select super su and install .

I would try to install ROM this way from micro SD card once you did the procedure to
Flash twrp .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is only for the Fire TV 2 2015 (not stick) codenamed "sloane" with mt8173.
    This will flash correct partitions and TWRP into it.
    This WILL NOT clean RPMB neither will unlock the device.
    I am not responsable of any physical damage in your device, YOU choose to make this modifications.

NOTE: Full unlock has been released, please refer to this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-firetv-2-sloane.4222331/
    NOTE: You will need to open the device so be prepared ;)
    NOTE: This will flash 5.6.2.8 images meaning RPMB will be updated.

MATERIAL NEEDED:
    • Linux based system.
    • USB A-A Cable.
    • Something conductive (paperclip, tweezers, etc).
    • Something to open the device.

- Install python3, PySerial, adb, fastboot:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt install python3 python3-serial adb fastboot

- Uninstall/disable modemmanager:
    Code:
    sudo apt remove modemmanager

PROCEDURE:
    Open up the device. You can use a pick or a kinfe or any special tool to open it up.
    1. Locate DAT0 in the attatched image. You will need to flip the motherboard.
    2. Download amonet-mt8173-sloane from downloads and unpack it.
    3. Open the unpacked folder of amonet, open a terminal inside it and type:
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
    4. Wait until you see something like:
    Code:
    [2019-02-07 14:35:59.478924] Waiting for bootrom
    5. Once that message shows up, connect the A-A cable but not the power supply. After that, prepare the short and at same time you short DAT0 with GND, plug in the power supply to the wall.
    6. The script will ask you to remove the short. When this happens, stop shorting DAT0 and then press enter.
    7. Wait until it finishes.
    8. The device should now reboot into TWRP. Please, consider now flashing a prerooted ROM or LineageOS 12.1 for get full TWRP.

NOTES:
    In lsusb boot-rom shows up as:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0e8d:0003 MediaTek Inc. MT6227 phone
    If you see:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0e8d:2000 MediaTek Inc. MT65xx Preloader
    means you're in preloader mode. Try shorting again.

If somehow you have a corrupt gpt (shouldn't happen), just run:
    Code:
    sudo ./gpt-fix.sh

If TWRP freezes, DON'T UNPLUG THE THE POWER SUPPLY, instead, open an adb shell session and type the following command to restart TWRP:
    Code:
    killall recovery

Please, your bootloader is still LOCKED. If you flash custom kernels/unsigned boots (i.e: Magisk Manager, etc) the bootloader will refuse to load the boot image and you will be not able to boot in TWRP anymore unless you re-unbrick the device.

- @CFKod for his patience and for test the script;)
    - @retyre & @k4y0z for the initial port to mt8173:)
    - @xyz` for his original exploit for the HD8 2018.
    - @Sus_i for locate DAT0, DAT1 and DAT2.
    - @rbox for TWRP/Boot menu.

DOWNLOAD:
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it a lot.
    Anyway, if @k4y0z wants it will be better, I'm almost sure that he can unlock the bootloader of sloane. Obviously if he wants and has time.:)
    I will wait for his response.
    Cheers.
    Brick no more!!
    thank you for your patience and knowledge.

My brick was because I wiped system.

I've added another photo, I simply shorted against the metal hole circled in the picture. This is so useful, it not only unbricks, it allows for downgrade of preloader
    Meaning I was then able to resolve my lack of system with @rbox unbrick image.

Also it's so much quicker than flashing via mediatek inject. Wooooo
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.
    @Rortiz2 What issues did you have with clearing RPMB?
    That has worked unmodified an all the other devices.