[UNBRICK] [ROOT] [TWRP] Fire TV 2 (sloane)

Search This thread

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
ok. Yes Get twrp reinstalled first .

How I install the rom while in twrp is I copy the zip file to SD card. and also you should have a copy of super su .

Now take that micro SD card and insert it into your fire .
Reboot . while in twrp recovery

Go to wipe , select data

Now choose switch file system to ext2 , select format. use right bar button swipe to complete.
Hit back button , now select ext4 . format in xt4 format.

Hit back bottom .
Now go to install . select from bottom right of menu , install zip from,
select your external SD card from the menu .

choose the ROM file zip.

Select install .

When done , now go back ,select super su and install .

I would try to install ROM this way from micro SD card once you did the procedure to
Flash twrp .
Thanks for your guidance.
Unfortuantely the first step in installing TWRP -- sudo ./bootrom-step.sh -- keeps giving me the same error. It gets to "Clear preloader header" and then keeps failing with the same error message (attached).
This same script worked earlier, but since that inital success has always given me errors. Is this expected? Should I just keep re-trying?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 4.51.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 4.51.20 PM.png
    559.4 KB · Views: 11

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
bootrom-step.sh from amonet-sloane-v1.1 worked initially, and after running fastboot-step.sh from the same package, I was able to get into TWRP. However, after performing a wipe (the option that requires typing 'yes') I get nothing but a blank screen and a flashing light.
It may be that the eMMC of your box switched itself to read only... (most likely if it's a samsung chip).
Take a look into the new thread, there are some postings about dead eMMCs.

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
It may be that the eMMC of your box switched itself to read only... (most likely if it's a samsung chip).
Take a look into the new thread, there are some postings about dead eMMCs.
Thank you for your response.
In XDA forums the function to search within a thread seems not to work for me, so it searched all threads instead of a single thread. So there is not a way for me to go through all 30+ pages of posts in the new thread to find eMMC related posts. Is there a specific way of going forward in this case?

vrl2

Feb 2, 2008
New Haven, CT
Looks like the short is working (I'm certain that the light is off when the short is in place). I have run it 15-20 times now. When I run bootrom-step.sh, it no longer works despite the initial successful run.

Sometimes I get to the point where I get the prompt to remove the short -- but it doesn't get much further. If I can get past the handshaking phase, then the furthest it gets is to "Check GPT" at which point it stalls at "Check GPT" with this EMMC read error:

File "/home/ubuntu/Desktop/amonet/modules/common.py", line 199, in emmc_read

It often stalls earlier (usually at either "waiting for bootrom" or if it gets past that, it stalls at "Clear preloader header" or "Init Crypto Engine")

@Sus_i is this the eMMC error that you were referring to? The U1600 chip is a Samsung, like you suggested. Is there any work-around or does this mean the device is dead?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.36.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.36.39 PM.png
    503.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
Friend. Do you have modem manager disabled per instructions.
Did you remember to give the amonet folder with the files full root permissions with write
access .

I would also try the version of amonet Sloane that has gpx fix .

Run the gpx fix .

Then after that try the files again .

Its extremely important though that the folder of the files are given full root , and
write permissions. What I do is either in mint or ubuntu, in the amonet Sloane folder
I right click and go on properties ,then I give each file in that folder write access.

also make sure when entering commands to start the process that you begin with sudo

Reactions: Sus_i

fleisch80

Oct 29, 2015
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire
The problem is flashing these devices is not an exact science.
I also been there where your at , extremely frustrated .

honestly , my best advice is try everything any anything you can think of that might make a
difference. Also try the amonet Sloane packages that have those other files. Like the
Gpx fix . try the others also.

I feel for you cause we've all been there.

with the lights , I've had my boxes where no lights would show anything,
but the exploit still unbricked them.

if you can , I would just save yourself a headache and find one on ebay.
usually there about 25.00 , sometimes with shipping.

did you message the devs who made the exploit and files for Sloane ,
They can probably give you some detailed information that may help.

I'm trying to think , I know there was a file in one of those amonet Sloane packages that
resets the chip if your having problems .

definitely reach out to the devs friend.

sorry I couldn't be of more help .

Hey , did you try making another cable . sometimes it can be that also.

Chris.

mamcho

Feb 2, 2011
Yesterday i did the unlock from scretch wiped everything ans installed the stock Image 5.2.7.2 plus magisk 23.0. But the image wont boot. All i get is the white Amazon Logo. Tried diffent stock roms. Twpr still works tho. BL is still unlocked. I came from prerooted image btw. Any ideas how to get out auf this? Is it a softbrick?

Edith: it was a hardware failure. Just to let you know

Last edited:

chaoslimits

Mar 19, 2010
Anyone know why adb reboot recovery doesn't reboot to TWRP? I still have to input a right to get into TWRP.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Anyone know why adb reboot recovery doesn't reboot to TWRP? I still have to input a right to get into TWRP.
This is the unbrick/root for the boxes with locked bootloader, TWRP possible via bootmenu.
You may flash the unlock via TWRP from here:
Then adb reboot recovery will bring up the new TWRP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is only for the Fire TV 2 2015 (not stick) codenamed "sloane" with mt8173.
    This will flash correct partitions and TWRP into it.
    This WILL NOT clean RPMB neither will unlock the device.
    I am not responsable of any physical damage in your device, YOU choose to make this modifications.

NOTE: Full unlock has been released, please refer to this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-firetv-2-sloane.4222331/
    NOTE: You will need to open the device so be prepared ;)
    NOTE: This will flash 5.6.2.8 images meaning RPMB will be updated.

MATERIAL NEEDED:
    • Linux based system.
    • USB A-A Cable.
    • Something conductive (paperclip, tweezers, etc).
    • Something to open the device.

- Install python3, PySerial, adb, fastboot:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt install python3 python3-serial adb fastboot

- Uninstall/disable modemmanager:
    Code:
    sudo apt remove modemmanager

PROCEDURE:
    Open up the device. You can use a pick or a kinfe or any special tool to open it up.
    1. Locate DAT0 in the attatched image. You will need to flip the motherboard.
    2. Download amonet-mt8173-sloane from downloads and unpack it.
    3. Open the unpacked folder of amonet, open a terminal inside it and type:
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
    4. Wait until you see something like:
    Code:
    [2019-02-07 14:35:59.478924] Waiting for bootrom
    5. Once that message shows up, connect the A-A cable but not the power supply. After that, prepare the short and at same time you short DAT0 with GND, plug in the power supply to the wall.
    6. The script will ask you to remove the short. When this happens, stop shorting DAT0 and then press enter.
    7. Wait until it finishes.
    8. The device should now reboot into TWRP. Please, consider now flashing a prerooted ROM or LineageOS 12.1 for get full TWRP.

NOTES:
    In lsusb boot-rom shows up as:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0e8d:0003 MediaTek Inc. MT6227 phone
    If you see:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0e8d:2000 MediaTek Inc. MT65xx Preloader
    means you're in preloader mode. Try shorting again.

If somehow you have a corrupt gpt (shouldn't happen), just run:
    Code:
    sudo ./gpt-fix.sh

If TWRP freezes, DON'T UNPLUG THE THE POWER SUPPLY, instead, open an adb shell session and type the following command to restart TWRP:
    Code:
    killall recovery

Please, your bootloader is still LOCKED. If you flash custom kernels/unsigned boots (i.e: Magisk Manager, etc) the bootloader will refuse to load the boot image and you will be not able to boot in TWRP anymore unless you re-unbrick the device.

- @CFKod for his patience and for test the script;)
    - @retyre & @k4y0z for the initial port to mt8173:)
    - @xyz` for his original exploit for the HD8 2018.
    - @Sus_i for locate DAT0, DAT1 and DAT2.
    - @rbox for TWRP/Boot menu.

DOWNLOAD:
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it a lot.
    Anyway, if @k4y0z wants it will be better, I'm almost sure that he can unlock the bootloader of sloane. Obviously if he wants and has time.:)
    I will wait for his response.
    Cheers.
    Brick no more!!
    thank you for your patience and knowledge.

My brick was because I wiped system.

I've added another photo, I simply shorted against the metal hole circled in the picture. This is so useful, it not only unbricks, it allows for downgrade of preloader
    Meaning I was then able to resolve my lack of system with @rbox unbrick image.

Also it's so much quicker than flashing via mediatek inject. Wooooo
    Rortiz2 , k4y0z I would like to donate one of my "Sloane" boxes to either of you. I really appreciate what you guys do for everyone. The box goes through the unbrick fine and install roms fine but I can't get it to boot. It gets through the twrp screen and then the fire tv splash screen then goes black screen. I will pay shipping and you can have it. Thanks again for all you do. Pm me if you want it.
    @Rortiz2 What issues did you have with clearing RPMB?
    That has worked unmodified an all the other devices.