• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unbrick tool for OnePlus 5

Search This thread

Shauny ItIsMe

Sep 25, 2014
Sorry I was fixing my wifes Motorola at the time and got the jobs mixed up.
Have you tried a factory reset from stock recovery (assuming the OS is still present and working)? This may allow the phone to boot and you can start custom recovery and root process again.
Does the unbrick tool not work? Are you running Windows from Bootcamp or virtualization (ie Parallels etc)? I haven't used the unbrick tool myself. I would have thought you shouldn't need ADB or Fastboot. The tool itself should do it.
Might be worth contacting OnePlus.

Well, I tried everything so yes it doesn't work.
The unbrick tool run correctly but when the phone reboot it automatically goes on bootloop.
I tried to contact them but my phone is not under warranty... they can't do anything...

dadhp

Sep 16, 2010
So this is my current case

So im trying to root my oneplus 5 and i started off by using Lineage OS but i wasnt too happy with it and i liked Oxygen OS much better so i decided to go back to it and while doing so like an idiot i wiped everything in twrp including the storage with all my ROM files and the phone was bricked and after a long struggle i used the unbrick tool which is called MSM tool which installed oxygen 4.5.8 using some some Qualcomm mode or something and it booted and worked fine but ever since i wasnt able to download the oxygen 5.1.1 update through the phones update section, it reaches 100% and says signature verification failed and goes back to 5%. So i tried downloading the latest Open Beta from the OP site and tried local upgrade which said installation failed so i try installing it locally through the Oxygen Recovery but again Installation failed so i try unlocking the bootloader again and installing it through twrp and it just keeps showing the boot animation forever( i know people say be patient but i waited for 10 mins+). So i decided to use the unbrick tool again and now im stuck on the OOS 4.5.8 unable to update the phone. And now for some reason whenever the phone gets wiped and i get put into the first setup i cant even connect to any wifi , it says connecting or saved or disabled.

Ive tried every single step perfectly but when it comes to adb sideloading it says installation failed and in cmd it says xfer 0.00 .

if i use the unbrick tool again and go back to 4.5.8 and try sideloading the latest oxygen os for oreo, it says loading and starts serving but at around 47% it says installation failed

Ive been struggling for such a long time it would be amazing if someone can help me solve this fast!

i have same problem, do you have any solution?

croqueurdos

Jan 5, 2015
Hi all,

I have my OP5 bricked (black screen and blue LED...)

I tried to unbrick it, but the MSM Download Tool don't see my device, but Win10 see it (Qualcomm...900E (COM4)).

How to fix please ?

Thanks you.

EDIT
It's ok, I just missed a step (VOl+), and then it was Qualcomm...900B and it was ok :)

100% stock now.

Last edited:

AxelM

Jul 10, 2007
OnePlus 9
Hello all,

I have had the same issue like croqueurdos
I have my OP5 bricked (black screen and blue LED...)
, but I fixed it with the unbrick tool.
So I am back in the game...but everytime I try to use another bootloader than stock one (e.g. from this side) I will get back the black screen and blue led and nothing more happend. This also happend if I accept the systemupdate to 5.1.4....I can still boot, but I am not able to get root rights and install TWRP.
In fastboot mode I can reinstall the stock bootloader, but thats it.

Do you have any Idea, what I could do?

BR
Axel

Last edited:

richjhart

Jul 3, 2012
Okay - my writeup of the above quick instructions:

The end goal of this process
To return your One Plus 5 (codename Cheeseburger) back to 100% STOCK condition - both recovery and ROM. OEM status will be unlocked, but this is not an issue for OTA etc. This status will be suitable to you if you wish to "start over" with the phone, sell it, or similair.

Steps
Preparation:

1. Make sure you have a WORKING ADB and Fastboot setup on your computer. I recommend the ADB tool found here:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cannot-read-ota-zip.457965/#post-15957941
I had the problem "* cannot read 'D:\OP5.zip' *", but the ADB tools from the above link solved this :good:
Notice the revision difference here: (green = Good, working version, red = the version that failed)

2. Download the ORIGINAL OnePlus5 recovery image, AND the FULL ZIP for the stock OOS ROM - NOT an OTA image ([OFFICIAL] OxygenOS 4.5.6 (7.1.1) OTA for OnePlus 5, posted by @Funk Wizard in the 2nd post - thanks dude :highfive: )

The process:

3. Flash the stock recovery -- Command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
4. Boot stock recovery by rebooting the phone and press VOL+UP within 5 seconds to interrupt the process.
4a. Select Recovery with VOL buttons. Confirm with power button
4b. Choose your language in the recovery and select wipe data and cache and then Erase everything
4c. Select DONE, not reboot. Select erase everything 2 times more (so you have erased it all three times in total).
5. Reboot the phone into fastboot again, and type fastboot oem lock - confirm and let it reboot.
6. Reboot the phone into fastboot again, and type fastboot oem unlock - confirm and let it reboot.
(if you wish to have a unlocked bootloader, this allows you to flash a custom recovery and thus install custom roms).
7. Boot into fastboot mode. Now we will manually wipe and format cache, system and userdata. paste this command into the commandprompt:
fastboot erase cache & fastboot erase system & fastboot erase userdata
- This will run the 3 commands after each other.
8. Repeat step 4, 4a, 4b and 4c again. In 4c only a single "erase everything" is needed.
9. Reboot into recovery again, select Install from ADB - this will enter the sideload mode, allowing you to install ZIP (flash it) from the PC.
10. Yay. 10 step Anniversary - dont we love it?!:good::highfive:
11. Enter adb sideload C:\path\to\full\OOS\stock\rom.zip
12. The CMD window will say "serving (1%)", etc... After a good while, the phone will say Install success - reboot the phone.

Thats it! :good: 100% STOCK!
Failed at the final step.

I recovered my bricked OP5 using the MSM tool V4.0 (cheeseburger_23_O.13_170803). This allows me to run Android fine, but it's back at version 7.

Now I did skip step 1, for two reasons:
1) It seems to have stock recovery after running the MSM Download tool
2) There is no link to recovery.img, so I actually felt it was safer to keep the recovery.img

Also I'm confused by the "AND the FULL ZIP for the stock OOS ROM - NOT an OTA" part. Because the following link is to the OTA file, which is the same file that https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...oneplus-5-cheeseburger.3627003/#post-72799046 has links to under "Full ROM Zips"... So is that a full ROM or an OTA?

Anyway, I downloaded OxygenOS from the link, which is OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_069_all_2010292138_6700.zip.

All the steps (except 1, as noted), work fine - but then the sideload fails. Just goes to "Installation Failed", with only option being "OK". Cmd line says:

>adb sideload OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_069_all_2010292138_6700.zip
Total xfer: 0.00x

Any suggestions?

Note that my final goal is ideally to have Android 10 stock rooted, but at this point I'll just settle for Android 10 stock. (Note that I want it to be stock because the point is to test my apps on a stock device).

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
OnePlus 6
Failed at the final step.

I recovered my bricked OP5 using the MSM tool V4.0 (cheeseburger_23_O.13_170803). This allows me to run Android fine, but it's back at version 7.

Now I did skip step 1, for two reasons:
1) It seems to have stock recovery after running the MSM Download tool
2) There is no link to recovery.img, so I actually felt it was safer to keep the recovery.img

Also I'm confused by the "AND the FULL ZIP for the stock OOS ROM - NOT an OTA" part. Because the following link is to the OTA file, which is the same file that https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...oneplus-5-cheeseburger.3627003/#post-72799046 has links to under "Full ROM Zips"... So is that a full ROM or an OTA?

Anyway, I downloaded OxygenOS from the link, which is OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_069_all_2010292138_6700.zip.

All the steps (except 1, as noted), work fine - but then the sideload fails. Just goes to "Installation Failed", with only option being "OK". Cmd line says:

>adb sideload OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_069_all_2010292138_6700.zip
Total xfer: 0.00x

Any suggestions?

Note that my final goal is ideally to have Android 10 stock rooted, but at this point I'll just settle for Android 10 stock. (Note that I want it to be stock because the point is to test my apps on a stock device).
Hi richjhart!

There is a massive shortcut available when it comes to upgrading Oxygen OS. Instead of attempting figure out which full, incremental, open or closed beta zip to flash next, simply do the following.

1. Get your phone into a bootable state with network, locked / unlocked doesn't matter
2. Install the free third party software Oxygen Updater (https://oxygenupdater.com/)
3. Follow the directions in the app. It will sort everything out for you and guide you through the process.
4. Open a cold one and enjoy the seamlessness

I've used the app on two different model OP phones with absolute ease and success.

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

richjhart

Jul 3, 2012
Hi richjhart!

There is a massive shortcut available when it comes to upgrading Oxygen OS. Instead of attempting figure out which full, incremental, open or closed beta zip to flash next, simply do the following.

1. Get your phone into a bootable state with network, locked / unlocked doesn't matter
2. Install the free third party software Oxygen Updater (https://oxygenupdater.com/)
3. Follow the directions in the app. It will sort everything out for you and guide you through the process.
4. Open a cold one and enjoy the seamlessness

I've used the app on two different model OP phones with absolute ease and success.

Kind Regards
TwinAdk
Thank you! That seems to be working - I'm up to Android 8.1.0 now.

In terms of rooting, do you know if there's an optimal point to do it. This all started because I had trouble rooting once on Android 10 - it just wouldn't boot after rooting. Do you (or anyone else...) know if there's an issue doing it on Android 10, and maybe I should do it now, and then use oxygen updater to get it up to 10?

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
OnePlus 6
Always fully upgrade on stock Android.
Then unlock your bootloader.
Then extract the boot image from the last update zip and patch it within Magisk
Then flash it
Rooted 👌

richjhart

Jul 3, 2012
Always fully upgrade on stock Android.
Then unlock your bootloader.
Then extract the boot image from the last update zip and patch it within Magisk
Then flash it
Rooted 👌
So I did fully upgrade first (and saved each of the images for if/when I have to do it again).

And to root (successfully) I followed a YT video instead:
- Unlocked bootloader (it was actually already unlocked as I did it part way through the upgrade)
- Downloaded magisk 23.0 (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v23.0), renamed to Magisk-v23.0.zip
- Downloaded TWRP 3.5.2 (https://eu.dl.twrp.me/cheeseburger_dumpling/)
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-cheeseburger_dumpling.img
- fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-cheeseburger_dumpling.img
- In TWRP: allow modifications, wipe > data > yes, reboot > recovery
- On computer: copy Magisk-v23.0.zip to Internal storage
- In TWRP: allow modifications, install > Magisk-v.23.0.zip, reboot
- It takes a while to boot up

It worked at that point (I ran magisk and let it update and all that). I did reboot into recovery once more and formatted Internal Storage (only) just in case as some people reported issues.

YT Video at:

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
OnePlus 6
You rooted via custom recovery, which is fine, but not nearly as good as rooting via a patched boot image. But you are rooted, great!

IMPORTANT!! Before upgrading Android, use this module to retain your custom recovery when Android upgrades (and thus overrides your recovery partition)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211021-212732.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-212732.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 3

Top Liked Posts