Unbrick your dead-boot lumia... WITHOUT JTAG!

Search This thread

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Hi
I'm in the below situation:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77151585&postcount=758
I tried your method with a standard USB cable. I removed my lumia 1020 cover, than I detached and attached the battery.
After that, inserting the USB cable in the PC Type-A Port and shorting green and black lines, I inserted the cable into Lumia 1020 microUSB .
The Windows logo lighted up permanently (good) but after 10 or more seconds, removing the USB modified cable and connecting a standard cable (or unshorting green and black lines) I cannot see any significant effect: the phone is recognized again as a standard USB device, but no QUALCOMM device, so I cannot flash it with thor2 that is not able to recognize any device. The PC Qualcomm drivers are installed. WDRT (related to thor2) as usual is unusable. I tried some variants, pushing start button and than volume+start during the process, but no changes.
Any suggestions?

Regards
You may need to:
1. Remove the battery of the phone
2. Wait 1 minute and reconnect the battery
3. Connect the modified cable to PC but not to the phone
4. Short the wires
5. Now connect the modified cable to the lumia
6. Now Windows will start installing drivers
It may get detected as USB Input device, that means that the device is in QUALCOMM Modem Mode, I still dont know what to do about that and I am doing researches.

mydarkglobe

Jun 27, 2018
You may need to:
1. Remove the battery of the phone
2. Wait 1 minute and reconnect the battery
3. Connect the modified cable to PC but not to the phone
4. Short the wires
5. Now connect the modified cable to the lumia
6. Now Windows will start installing drivers
It may get detected as USB Input device, that means that the device is in QUALCOMM Modem Mode, I still dont know what to do about that and I am doing researches.
Thanks for your reply.
No effects... if I leave the green and black line shorted and attach the microUSB cable to my Lumia, the PC is not able to recognize any new periferal. The phone Windows logo lights up and after about 15 seconds it turns off.
When I unshort the 2 lines, the PC says that there's an "unknown USB device" and after some seconds it becomes a generic "USB Input device".
No other signs of life. :-/

Last edited:

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Thanks for your reply.
No effects... if I leave the green and black line shorted and attach the microUSB cable to my Lumia, the PC is not able to recognize any new periferal. The phone Windows logo lights up and after about 15 seconds it turns off.
When I unshort the 2 lines, the PC says that there's an "unknow USB device" and after some seconds it becomes a generic "USB Input device".
No other signs of life. :-/
Great! It means you got a connection!
Your phone is in QUALCOMM Modem Mode...
It means that your boot is totally damaged...
But I still don't have solution to that problem...
I am doing some research and I think you may do it too.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
There is a command on thor 2 (Device authentication: thor2 -mode rnd -do_authentication -sdauthenticationtype production). Do you know how this command works? Could I use it to generate a new certificate?
I can't find on the internet how to use this command but it looks like it could help.
Thanks.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
Well, my phone was sent to be repaired via JTAG and it didn't work. The guy said the boot on the CPU was corrupted and there was no fix. He tried everything he could and he's a member of this forum: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/
He also said that this is a problem with Lumias, where this happens and there is no fix for it. Have you guys heard the same? Is this a problem you're familiar with?

dogenumberpi

May 18, 2019
Well, my phone was sent to be repaired via JTAG and it didn't work. The guy said the boot on the CPU was corrupted and there was no fix. He tried everything he could and he's a member of this forum: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/
He also said that this is a problem with Lumias, where this happens and there is no fix for it. Have you guys heard the same? Is this a problem you're familiar with?

From my experience, having someone use words as simplistic as a "corrupted" CPU only means they have no idea what they're talking about.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
From my experience, having someone use words as simplistic as a "corrupted" CPU only means they have no idea what they're talking about.

Well, one store told me it was a corrupted memory and another told me it was a corrupted boot on the CPU. They both used JTAG with different boxes and since it's been a while since Windows Phone has been in use, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to continue trying to fix this.

javirix

Jan 31, 2020
Lumia totally breadked. RDC certificates erased. DEVICE AUTHENTICATION IS REQUIRED.

Well, one store told me it was a corrupted memory and another told me it was a corrupted boot on the CPU. They both used JTAG with different boxes and since it's been a while since Windows Phone has been in use, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to continue trying to fix this.

Dear Tiago,

Did you finally recover your Lumia device?

Unfortunately I have the same problem as you. :crying:

Everything happened because I followed a guideline to make a backup/restore of my dear Lumia device to recover the WhatsApp messages (as after last 14th of January 2020 the app stopped to work). Unfortunately, I did a big mistake in the restore process and I erased the partition where the RDC certificates were saved. Unfortunately, I did not save them before. And what is worst, for a strange reason, my previous full backup is corrupt. So each time that I try to reboot the Lumia device, I'm totally stuck in the big Nokia logo screen, and after a while I get the infamous message "ERROR: Unable to find a bootable option. Press any key to shut down.".

To recover my dear Lumia, I tried all the possible options that I found in Internet with Thor2, WDR and WPInternals, but no way, I always get the same messages as you "DEVICE AUTHENTICATION IS REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS OPERATION". For sure it is related with the lack of the RDC certificates because the messages are very clear "PLEASE ENSURE THAT RDC CERTIFICATE HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON THIS DEVICE AND TRY AGAIN" or also "Cannot flash partition image. Write the RDC into the device or use open/RnD HW & SW".

I have read all your posts about the same problem but I think nobody answered you with any valid solution, isn't it?

Did you finally find a solution or unfortunately your Lumia device is also totally bricked?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
Dear Tiago,

Did you finally recover your Lumia device?

Unfortunately I have the same problem as you. :crying:

Everything happened because I followed a guideline to make a backup/restore of my dear Lumia device to recover the WhatsApp messages (as after last 14th of January 2020 the app stopped to work). Unfortunately, I did a big mistake in the restore process and I erased the partition where the RDC certificates were saved. Unfortunately, I did not save them before. And what is worst, for a strange reason, my previous full backup is corrupt. So each time that I try to reboot the Lumia device, I'm totally stuck in the big Nokia logo screen, and after a while I get the infamous message "ERROR: Unable to find a bootable option. Press any key to shut down.".

To recover my dear Lumia, I tried all the possible options that I found in Internet with Thor2, WDR and WPInternals, but no way, I always get the same messages as you "DEVICE AUTHENTICATION IS REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS OPERATION". For sure it is related with the lack of the RDC certificates because the messages are very clear "PLEASE ENSURE THAT RDC CERTIFICATE HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON THIS DEVICE AND TRY AGAIN" or also "Cannot flash partition image. Write the RDC into the device or use open/RnD HW & SW".

I have read all your posts about the same problem but I think nobody answered you with any valid solution, isn't it?

Did you finally find a solution or unfortunately your Lumia device is also totally bricked?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

I replaced the motherbard with one from eBay. It worked. Software fixes did nothing. JTAG also didn't work.

javirix

Jan 31, 2020
I replaced the motherbard with one from eBay. It worked. Software fixes did nothing. JTAG also didn't work.

Thank you for your quick answer. :good:

It is really sad that no solution is possible with some Thor2 commands to solve this RDC authentication issue . :crying:

Thanks again for the answer.

javirix

Jan 31, 2020
Yes.... Not everything is possible without NOKIA's authorized software and tools.

Yes, you are right Yerevan, it is really a pity.

This weekend I have been able to recover an EFIESP backup that I did some weeks ago with WPInternals but after mounting it, I don't find any trace of the RDC file. Probably it is saved in its own separate partition that is not saved with WPInternals backup process. So unfortunately it is clear that I have totally lost my dear Lumia. :crying:

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
EVERYBODY! IMPORTANT NEWS. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THERE IS A PIN ON THE MOTHERBOARD THAT NEEDS TO BE SHORTED SO THAT THE DEVICE IS FORCEFULLY GONE TO THE EMERGENCY DOWNLOAD MODE. THERE IS NO PIN, THERE IS A RESISTOR. IT IS THE R3209 RESISTOR! FIND THE SCHEMATICS OF YOUR DEVICE, FIND WHERE IS IT, IT MUST BE NEAR THE EMMC CHIP! CONNECT THE USB TO THE PHONE BUT NOT TO THE COMPUTER! SHORT THE RESISTOR AND WHILE SHORTING, CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER AND AFTER 2 SECONDS, REMOVE THE SHORT! THE DEVICE SHOULD BE DETECTED IN 9008 QDLOAD MODE! OPEN WDRT AND START RESTORING. AFTER IT IS FINISHED AND THE DEVICE NEEDS TO BE REBOOTED, DON'T REMOVE THE CABLE NEITHER FROM THE COMPUTER NEITHER FROM THE PHONE, INSERT A GOOD, CHARGED BATTERY. IT SHOULD BOOT NOW.... And now... You see the NOKIA logo... You feel the happiness... Now you know... That you successfully brought your superior phone back to life....

gy45213

Jun 21, 2019
EVERYBODY! IMPORTANT NEWS. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THERE IS A PIN ON THE MOTHERBOARD THAT NEEDS TO BE SHORTED SO THAT THE DEVICE IS FORCEFULLY GONE TO THE EMERGENCY DOWNLOAD MODE. THERE IS NO PIN, THERE IS A RESISTOR. IT IS THE R3209 RESISTOR! FIND THE SCHEMATICS OF YOUR DEVICE, FIND WHERE IS IT, IT MUST BE NEAR THE EMMC CHIP! CONNECT THE USB TO THE PHONE BUT NOT TO THE COMPUTER! SHORT THE RESISTOR AND WHILE SHORTING, CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER AND AFTER 2 SECONDS, REMOVE THE SHORT! THE DEVICE SHOULD BE DETECTED IN 9008 QDLOAD MODE! OPEN WDRT AND START RESTORING. AFTER IT IS FINISHED AND THE DEVICE NEEDS TO BE REBOOTED, DON'T REMOVE THE CABLE NEITHER FROM THE COMPUTER NEITHER FROM THE PHONE, INSERT A GOOD, CHARGED BATTERY. IT SHOULD BOOT NOW.... And now... You see the NOKIA logo... You feel the happiness... Now you know... That you successfully brought your superior phone back to life....

may i know also work to when lumia 1020 show error: Unable to find a bootable option. press any key to shutdown?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome everybody...
    The wait is over...
    After not sleeping for 6 days long...
    I did this...
    !RECOVER YOUR LUMIA WITH DEAD-BOOT WITHOUT ANY JTAG!!!

So... after many testings, you bricked your phone...
    Now it doesn't boot and even worse, an error message pops up on PC when connecting the device, "The device is not recognized"...
    You are hopelessly crying...
    But today everything changes!!
    I have the way to recover the device...
    Here's the instructions.

1. Get a cheap data micro usb cable.
    2. Cut it using scissors
    3. Get all the wires connected
    4. Now get the green and black wires.
    5. Get a button
    6. Connect the green wire to the one contact of the button, and the black wire to the another.
    7. Now connect the cable to the PC, BUT NOT TO THE PHONE!
    8. Now get your bricked phone.
    9. Remove the back cover even if the battery is not removal.
    10. Disconnect the battery. (I don't care that it's not removable, you can do it!)
    11. Reconnect the battery
    12. With one hand, press and hold the button.
    13. And with another hand, connect the another end of the cable to the phone.
    14. Now hold the button for 10 seconds.
    15. Release the button
    16. And...
    17. VOILA! Now your phone is being detected as QHUSB_DLOAD or else.
    18. Now just open WDRT and start recovering your phone!
    My Lumia 925 is detected in QUALCOMM Modem Mode, or it will be shown as USB Input Device in device manager, with VID 05C6 PID F006 so maybe yours would detect in that mode too! I am doing some more research about how to unbrick the device from this mode.

[UPDATE] Found the drivers! Here's the download link! https://androidfrog.com/142gt2
    Also here's the picture for making EDL cable with scheme...
    scheme.png

U P D A T E
    Sorry, but there are Lumias in the wild that doesn't support that way of connection.
    They just don't get connected.
    Right, I get that.
    My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
    Right, I get that.
    My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
    When you make the edl cable and hold the button while turning the lumia on, the cable works like a short jig. As in every device, the CPU is "starting" first, there's command that is implemented in the CPU that switches the device to EDL mode but in this case, as the boot is dead, it switches to Qualcomm F006 Mode in other words, Qualcomm Modem Mode, which is normal for hard bricked devices.
    I read a guide about unbricking a DragonBoard 410c but it's done using some base firmware files which we don't have.
    Ah, geez, man!.. No comment, heh; but, had to -just- comment!! Pfft. :)
    [emoji16]
    Not anymore though. Sold every one of them . Except one. Even sold all my prototypes...
    Trying it but not working. Phone still boots to same message of "Unable to find a bootable option".
    Laptop not recognizing anything. Maybe the cable connections aren't correct.
    Will try to directly short the green and black cables to one another with hands.
    Also bought a new battery so should probably charge it fully first.

Edit: not working. Phone continues to boot to "Unable to find a bootable option".
    The only difference is that with the short circuit between green and black, the laptop doesn't detect the phone.
    The first thing you want to do is to rescue your phone, it won't be more broken if you flash another Lumia 1020's efiesp.bin, after rescuing the phone, you can fully wipe everything and start over...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone