Unbrick your dead-boot lumia... WITHOUT JTAG!

Search This thread

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
may i know also work to when lumia 1020 show error: Unable to find a bootable option. press any key to shutdown?

That can be repaired by just the standard Windows Device Recovery Tool. But if that error occurred without your management (itself), then there is a big possibility that the Lumia has a bad eMMC.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
EVERYBODY! IMPORTANT NEWS. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THERE IS A PIN ON THE MOTHERBOARD THAT NEEDS TO BE SHORTED SO THAT THE DEVICE IS FORCEFULLY GONE TO THE EMERGENCY DOWNLOAD MODE. THERE IS NO PIN, THERE IS A RESISTOR. IT IS THE R3209 RESISTOR! FIND THE SCHEMATICS OF YOUR DEVICE, FIND WHERE IS IT, IT MUST BE NEAR THE EMMC CHIP! CONNECT THE USB TO THE PHONE BUT NOT TO THE COMPUTER! SHORT THE RESISTOR AND WHILE SHORTING, CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER AND AFTER 2 SECONDS, REMOVE THE SHORT! THE DEVICE SHOULD BE DETECTED IN 9008 QDLOAD MODE! OPEN WDRT AND START RESTORING. AFTER IT IS FINISHED AND THE DEVICE NEEDS TO BE REBOOTED, DON'T REMOVE THE CABLE NEITHER FROM THE COMPUTER NEITHER FROM THE PHONE, INSERT A GOOD, CHARGED BATTERY. IT SHOULD BOOT NOW.... And now... You see the NOKIA logo... You feel the happiness... Now you know... That you successfully brought your superior phone back to life....

I don't know man. Already tried so many things to recover my Lumia 1020. Ended up buying a replacement motherboard. JTAG shops couldn't repair it. I had Win10 in it and it just crashed with the "can't find bootable option" error.

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Well, if even JTAG shops couldn't do it, then sadly, the problem was in eMMC. But you cant try to fix it, because not everything is possible by non-authorized Nokia tools, while thor2 "is".

gy45213

Jun 21, 2019
That can be repaired by just the standard Windows Device Recovery Tool. But if that error occurred without your management (itself), then there is a big possibility that the Lumia has a bad eMMC.

So I need replace a new emmc, if I replaced then flash FFU use wdrt or writ something to emmc?

no111one

Nov 30, 2020
Nokia Lumia 920
Samsung Galaxy S4
I have a Lumia 920 (RM-821) and it instantly connects as a USB Input device, VID 05C6 PID F006. I tried to restore with WDRT - it doesn't see it at all. Trying to use thor2 for emergency mode - just quits when i try to assign a port. If I don't assign a port it will error out with
Initiating emergency download Operation took about 20.00 seconds. THOR2_ERROR_CONNECTION_NOT_FOUND THOR2 1.8.2.18 exited with error code 84000 (0x14820)
Anyone knows what am I doing wrong? I did it as the tutorial said but no luck, I tried to install qcom drivers but windows says "drivers are up to date".

R1ddle

Nov 15, 2021
Wondering where I was? me too.
Long time has passed since the start of this post (almost 4 years to be exact), so I decided to finalize this finally and release the fully fledged guide. Interesting how this all got here just because me, a dumbass, formatted his Lumia 920 in Mass-Storage Mode in 2016.

So let's start.
First of all, make sure your device isn't in QHSUSB_DLOAD. After all if it is, you can just flash with WDRT or Thor2, and not spend so much time on that (see my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD).

Step 1
Disassemble your Lumia. You can use online video guides or just a service manual, doesn't really matter.

Step 2
Find the schematics of your device, most if not all are available online, afterwards, find R3209 resistor, yes, that legendary resistor which will force the device to QHSUSB_DLOAD.

Step 3
After finding it in schematics, find it on your device, approximately, since it is most likely under a metal shield, once found the approximate location, remove the shielding with heat, or if you are like me, start cutting it like death is coming.

Step 4
Now the interesting part, reconnect your phone's battery, this will ensure the phone isn't in any sort of state and is powered off. After, short the resistor to ground and connect your phone to PC while shorting, wait 2 seconds and remove the short.

Step 5
Voila!

Take a look at my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD, and recover your Lumia using it.
bruh how did you cut the shield it's too small

R1ddle

Nov 15, 2021
Thank you very much!! I was struggling with my lumia 920 for 3 months and couldn't fix it until i applied the instructions. But i have a question. Sould i reattach the shield i took off to reach the r3209 resistor? Because that part of the phone gets hot easily.

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Thank you very much!! I was struggling with my lumia 920 for 3 months and couldn't fix it until i applied the instructions. But i have a question. Sould i reattach the shield i took off to reach the r3209 resistor? Because that part of the phone gets hot easily.
Would recommend doing that definitely, plus put the copper heatsink on too. Now imagine me struggling with my 920 about it since 2015 xD

minhquypy

Nov 23, 2013
My lumia bricked when flash FFU by WPInternal.
Currently, WDRT couldn't help because My phone did not response when Holding Power + Vol down,

It is completely unresponsive, just a black screen.
I think I should try your guideline to force it to QHSUSB_DLOAD mode. :(
However, what makes me feel afraid is removing the heat sink @@
Lumia-630-eMMC-Shield.jpg

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Currently, WDRT couldn't help because My phone did not response when Holding Power + Vol down,

Ah, make sure to be careful, use a heating plate or a help from a service assistant. Definitely do the short trick.

LavanyaChawla

Jan 21, 2022
hey man! i have made video on how to create emergency files for lumia devices like 650 , 540 here is the link if any one wanna unbrick their dead lumia from qh usb bulk mode downlaoding link of emergency fies is in the description without using any jtag or any other flashing tool u can repair ur dead phone and get it back to life

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
hey man! i have made video on how to create emergency files for lumia devices like 650 , 540 here is the link if any one wanna unbrick their dead lumia from qh usb bulk mode downlaoding link of emergency fies is in the description without using any jtag or any other flashing tool u can repair ur dead phone and get it back to life
I smell someone is trying to hype his video up?

R1ddle

Nov 15, 2021
After 4 months i decided to unlock the bootloader and bricked my phone again lol. Even though I used the right engineering sbl3 or hex files, I made the phone think it was a lumia 950 in a way I don't know how :p. Now it's in qhsusb_dload mode but WDRT is showing it as RM-1104 and i can't flash with thor2.exe. The phone is at 0% right now. Should i try to recover it or leave it bricked?

Curious Programer

May 31, 2022
My someone pls explain in details what is supposed to be done, I am kinda new to this I have a dead lumia 520 that died after failed to unlock bootloader in mass storage mode.

Curious Programer

May 31, 2022

May you pls explain what to do next you open the phone up you get the green motherboard then what do you do may you pls explain

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wondering where I was? me too.
    Long time has passed since the start of this post (almost 4 years to be exact), so I decided to finalize this finally and release the fully fledged guide. Interesting how this all got here just because me, a dumbass, formatted his Lumia 920 in Mass-Storage Mode in 2016.

So let's start.
    First of all, make sure your device isn't in QHSUSB_DLOAD. After all if it is, you can just flash with WDRT or Thor2, and not spend so much time on that (see my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD).

Step 1
    Disassemble your Lumia. You can use online video guides or just a service manual, doesn't really matter.

Step 2
    Find the schematics of your device, most if not all are available online, afterwards, find R3209 resistor, yes, that legendary resistor which will force the device to QHSUSB_DLOAD.

Step 3
    After finding it in schematics, find it on your device, approximately, since it is most likely under a metal shield, once found the approximate location, remove the shielding with heat, or if you are like me, start cutting it like death is coming.

Step 4
    Now the interesting part, reconnect your phone's battery, this will ensure the phone isn't in any sort of state and is powered off. After, short the resistor to ground and connect your phone to PC while shorting, wait 2 seconds and remove the short.

Step 5
    Voila!

Take a look at my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD, and recover your Lumia using it.
    Sorry, but there are Lumias in the wild that doesn't support that way of connection.
    They just don't get connected.
    Right, I get that.
    My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
    Right, I get that.
    My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
    When you make the edl cable and hold the button while turning the lumia on, the cable works like a short jig. As in every device, the CPU is "starting" first, there's command that is implemented in the CPU that switches the device to EDL mode but in this case, as the boot is dead, it switches to Qualcomm F006 Mode in other words, Qualcomm Modem Mode, which is normal for hard bricked devices.
    I read a guide about unbricking a DragonBoard 410c but it's done using some base firmware files which we don't have.
    Ah, geez, man!.. No comment, heh; but, had to -just- comment!! Pfft. :)
    [emoji16]
    Not anymore though. Sold every one of them . Except one. Even sold all my prototypes...
    Trying it but not working. Phone still boots to same message of "Unable to find a bootable option".
    Laptop not recognizing anything. Maybe the cable connections aren't correct.
    Will try to directly short the green and black cables to one another with hands.
    Also bought a new battery so should probably charge it fully first.

Edit: not working. Phone continues to boot to "Unable to find a bootable option".
    The only difference is that with the short circuit between green and black, the laptop doesn't detect the phone.
    The first thing you want to do is to rescue your phone, it won't be more broken if you flash another Lumia 1020's efiesp.bin, after rescuing the phone, you can fully wipe everything and start over...