UNBRICKING THE 8th gen FIRE HD8 (karnak) STUCK ON THE WHITE AMAZON LOGO

Search This thread

Jik Sey

Jan 21, 2019
I have put together quick guide to unbricking the 8th gen Fire HD8 (karnak) stuck on the white Amazon logo, without having to take the back off or having to short any wires. I hope this will help someone out if they are stuck on what to do next. This is based on other great posts by By k4y0z & xyz & Xinto & Scripts used amonet-karnak-v3.0.1.zip and brick-karnak.zip
I am assuming that you are already using a Linux installation or live-system running ADB and have the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1.zip and brick-karnak.zip extracted to have bricked your tablet in the first place :) I am basically a total newbie but I have now tried this 3 times on 2 8th gen Fire HD8's (karnak) tablets with differing Firmware that were stuck on the boot logo. Please note I am not responsible of any physical damage in your tablet, if you choose to make these modifications.

1. First power off the tablet (Hold power button down for 20 seconds until the Amazon logo disappears)
2. Hold down the left Volume button, while pressing the Power on button. Then Plug the tablet back in.
3. From inside the brick-karnak/amonet folder open a new terminal and TYPE
Code:
sudo ./brick.sh
The terminal will say ...Brick preloader to continue via bootrom-exploit? (Type "YES" to continue)
4. Make sure you type YES, not just y or yes like I made the mistake of doing a few times!
The terminal will then say
Bricking PL Header
Check instructions on device
target reported max download size of 114294784 bytes
Sending 'brick' (111957 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.886s]
Writing 'brick'...
On the Amazon Fire screen it will display.... All good now unplug and power off the device.

5. Unplug the tablet and power it off (Hold power button down for 20 seconds)

6. From inside the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1/amonet open a new terminal and TYPE
Code:
sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
The terminal will say .... Waiting for bootrom

7. Plug the tablet back in and the Terminal will say something like
found port = /dev/ttyACM0
[2019-12-26 21:09:53.550179] Handshake

* * * If you have a short attached, remove it now * * *
* * * Press Enter to continue * * *

8. Press the Enter Key
The Terminal will say something like
[2019-12-26 21:10:00.564737] Init crypto engine
[2019-12-26 21:10:00.580769] Disable caches
[2019-12-26 21:10:00.581253] Disable bootrom range checks
[2019-12-26 21:10:00.622439] Load payload from ../brom-payload/build/payload.bin = 0x4888 bytes
[2019-12-26 21:10:00.626302] Send payload
[2019-12-26 21:10:01.261823] Let's rock
etc, etc, until.....
[2019-12-26 21:12:56.277773] Reboot

9. Unplug the tablet again

10. From inside the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1/amonet folder open a new terminal and TYPE
Code:
sudo ./fastboot-step.sh
The Terminal will say < waiting for any device >

11. Plug the tablet back in
The Terminal will say something like target reported max download size of 114294784 bytes
sending 'recovery' (13604 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.474s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.619s]
finished. total time: 1.093s
sending 'MISC' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.012s]
writing 'MISC'...
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.018s
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.052s
Your device will now reboot into TWRP.

Now your tablet will now reboot back into TWRP recovery ready for action.

Last edited:

draco2020

Apr 17, 2020
I have an 8th gen fire HD. I tried the root method and I can complete all steps up to the reboot into recovery after "sudo ./bootrom-step.sh". When the tablet reboots, the amazon logo appears briefly and I can see text that says recovery but then the screen goes black. I have tried the power button, but that does not wake up the screen and I cannot complete the root. Any suggestions?

hudsonbra

Jul 7, 2016
Jik Sey, THANK YOU!

your topic saved my tablet, i was almost
throwing it away
basically i have installed a bad magisk module , got bootloop and when i tried to remove in twrp, losted the recovery acess
following this steps, the problem was solved! :)

Reactions: Jik Sey

Jik Sey

Jan 21, 2019
Jik Sey, THANK YOU!

throwing it away
basically i have installed a bad magisk module , got bootloop and when i tried to remove in twrp, losted the recovery acess

Thanks for the feedback. I was in exactly the same situation and was just about to give up on my tablet as well :)

Reactions: hudsonbra

Jik Sey

Jan 21, 2019
I have an 8th gen fire HD. I tried the root method and I can complete all steps up to the reboot into recovery after "sudo ./bootrom-step.sh". When the tablet reboots, the amazon logo appears briefly and I can see text that says recovery but then the screen goes black. I have tried the power button, but that does not wake up the screen and I cannot complete the root. Any suggestions?

Sorry I have only just seen your post. Hopefully you have sorted the problem now. It could be that your tablet is not fully powered down properly, only sleeping, unplug the tablet and power it off, Hold power button down for 20 seconds before typing the sudo ./bootrom-step.sh part.

bentley4me

Jun 14, 2020
Would this work on 2017 Douglas?

I understand these are different "brick" files created to exploit different things on the Karnak vs. Douglas models, but in theory could this work if I used the brick files from the Douglas thread to unbrick my Douglas? My 2017 is stuck on the amazon logo as well and is non-responsive. I'm tempted to try these same instructions to see what happens.

MontysEvilTwin

Nov 4, 2016
I understand these are different "brick" files created to exploit different things on the Karnak vs. Douglas models, but in theory could this work if I used the brick files from the Douglas thread to unbrick my Douglas? My 2017 is stuck on the amazon logo as well and is non-responsive. I'm tempted to try these same instructions to see what happens.
I don't know which versions of Fire OS the brick script for Douglas will work on, but you can always open the case and use the shorting method to enter bootrom mode if you have to. Amonet for Douglas also has 'bootrom-step.sh' and 'fastboot-step.sh' scripts. Run those two after getting into bootrom mode and it should install TWRP on your device: possibly wiping the internal storage in the process. You will then probably have to install Fire OS (change the filename from '.bin' to '.zip') or a custom rom to boot the device up.

Last edited:

bentley4me

Jun 14, 2020
I don't know which versions of Fire OS the brick script for Douglas will work on, but you can always open the case and use the shorting method to enter bootrom mode if you have to. Amonet for Douglas also has 'bootrom-step.sh' and 'fastboot-step.sh' scripts. Run those two after getting into bootrom mode and it should install TWRP on your device: possibly wiping the internal storage in the process. You will then probably have to install Fire OS (change the filename from '.bin' to '.zip') or a custom rom to boot the device up.

Thanks, I will look up how to do that. Wiping and installing Lineage was my entire reasoning for doing this, so I'm good with that end result. :)

MrDandE

Mar 14, 2018
Work for Fire stick tank?

Would this guide be applicable to my fire stick (tank) that got stuck on the amazon white logo since both use similar exploits?

comfr3ak

Nov 24, 2008
I am working on a bricked Fire HD 8 2018 device but am receiving errors during the GPT check. I can't find anywhere how to repair the GPT to proceed with restoring the device.

Wait for payload to come online...
All good
Check GPT
RuntimeError: What's wrong with your GPT?

It stops there...

I saw some gpt-fix scripts for the 2017 models but haven't seen anything for 2018. Any help greatly appreciated.

olegkarapys

Nov 8, 2021
Помогите!
Не заходит в recovery,постоянно перезагружается

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have put together quick guide to unbricking the 8th gen Fire HD8 (karnak) stuck on the white Amazon logo, without having to take the back off or having to short any wires. I hope this will help someone out if they are stuck on what to do next. This is based on other great posts by By k4y0z & xyz & Xinto & Scripts used amonet-karnak-v3.0.1.zip and brick-karnak.zip
    I am assuming that you are already using a Linux installation or live-system running ADB and have the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1.zip and brick-karnak.zip extracted to have bricked your tablet in the first place :) I am basically a total newbie but I have now tried this 3 times on 2 8th gen Fire HD8's (karnak) tablets with differing Firmware that were stuck on the boot logo. Please note I am not responsible of any physical damage in your tablet, if you choose to make these modifications.

1. First power off the tablet (Hold power button down for 20 seconds until the Amazon logo disappears)
    2. Hold down the left Volume button, while pressing the Power on button. Then Plug the tablet back in.
    3. From inside the brick-karnak/amonet folder open a new terminal and TYPE
    Code:
    sudo ./brick.sh
    The terminal will say ...Brick preloader to continue via bootrom-exploit? (Type "YES" to continue)
    4. Make sure you type YES, not just y or yes like I made the mistake of doing a few times!
    The terminal will then say
    Bricking PL Header
    Check instructions on device
    Sending 'brick' (111957 KB)...
    OKAY [ 3.886s]
    Writing 'brick'...
    On the Amazon Fire screen it will display.... All good now unplug and power off the device.

5. Unplug the tablet and power it off (Hold power button down for 20 seconds)

6. From inside the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1/amonet open a new terminal and TYPE
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
    The terminal will say .... Waiting for bootrom

7. Plug the tablet back in and the Terminal will say something like
    found port = /dev/ttyACM0
    [2019-12-26 21:09:53.550179] Handshake

* * * If you have a short attached, remove it now * * *
    * * * Press Enter to continue * * *

8. Press the Enter Key
    The Terminal will say something like
    [2019-12-26 21:10:00.564737] Init crypto engine
    [2019-12-26 21:10:00.580769] Disable caches
    [2019-12-26 21:10:00.581253] Disable bootrom range checks
    [2019-12-26 21:10:00.622439] Load payload from ../brom-payload/build/payload.bin = 0x4888 bytes
    [2019-12-26 21:10:00.626302] Send payload
    [2019-12-26 21:10:01.261823] Let's rock
    etc, etc, until.....
    [2019-12-26 21:12:56.277773] Reboot

9. Unplug the tablet again

10. From inside the amonet-karnak-v3.0.1/amonet folder open a new terminal and TYPE
    Code:
    sudo ./fastboot-step.sh
    The Terminal will say < waiting for any device >

11. Plug the tablet back in
    The Terminal will say something like target reported max download size of 114294784 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (13604 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.474s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 0.619s]
    finished. total time: 1.093s
    sending 'MISC' (0 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.012s]
    writing 'MISC'...
    OKAY [ 0.006s]
    finished. total time: 0.018s
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.052s
    Your device will now reboot into TWRP.

Now your tablet will now reboot back into TWRP recovery ready for action.
    Jik Sey, THANK YOU!

throwing it away
    Jik Sey, THANK YOU!

throwing it away

Thanks for the feedback. I was in exactly the same situation and was just about to give up on my tablet as well :)
    Thank you! Instructions and process worked perfectly for my issue.