Question Understanding Xiaoxin pad pro 2021

Search This thread
Oct 17, 2015
Hello there,
I am desperately try to understand if the Xiaoxin Pad Pro 2021 (the one with snapdragon 870) is a good tablet or not, but more than that, I am trying to understand how it is sold from vendors.
This tablet in Europe is called Lenovo P12 and the base price is 899€ that, in my idea, is a little bit too much.
So I am checking chinese vendors that should sell this tablet with two options for the ROM: the chinese one and the (fake) global one.
As I understood, the chinese ROM has no play services while the global one has play services but has widevine L3 instead of L1.
So first of all: is it true?

Second question: I've seen a lot of video of people installing play services on the chinese ROM, and as it should be usable in English at least, what's the big deal on having chinese ROM? I mean: If I can install play services, If I can set english language, If I can have Netflix, Disney+ and PrimeVideo in HD (and dolby vision) what's the problem?

I am sorry if my questions sound stupid, but reading pages and pages of forum did not let me understand clealry the situazion

Thanks in advance

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Ok here are the facts:

• Global Hacked ROM is Widevine L3 and will receive no updates but has the benefit of supporting multiple languages. All streaming services will be in low bitrate and or SD.
  • The CN ROM supports English and Chinese only and is widevine L1. Netflix works in FHD (no HDR of any kind), Disney+ Works in FHD (no HDR of any kind), Prime Video runs low bitrate compared to many other tablets.
  • You can easily install google play store (services framework is already integrated into the ROM) by following the video below.

However there are some known issues

• The Security Centre app is very strict at auto closing apps by default. This means you’ll likely not get notifications, calendar updates alarms etc. It can be configured to whitelist apps of your choosing and will then function as normal.
  • However there have been numerous reports of the Security App breaking when a users upgrades to ZUI13. I believe it is triggered if the user does a factory reset. (I have upgraded and not reset and all is working ok).
  • Some people are reporting losing their WideVine L1 certification at a hardware level (i.e. not within the Netflix app) out of the blue. We have not pinpointed why this is happening. (I still have widevine L1 but received a CN ROM and did not mess with it in anyway and let the tablet OTA as normal)
  • WIFI5 frequency range is set to Chinese. In many cases this means global routers are not able to connect via WIFI5. I had this issue and could only solve it by setting my routers region to Chinese. It has not negatively impacted any other devices on my network or speeds but you may want to bare this in mind if you are intended to travel often with the tablet.

In general the hardware is decent, with Nova Launcher replacing the stock launcher and using Streamo (there ethical considerations here, I am simply streaming UHD content I have paid/subbed to via other means as I am shut out of the official apps due to DRM) I am generally very happy with the tablet.

Lenovo Hardware Good, Lenovo Software and Support Sh!te. Would I recommend. Probably not.

Oct 17, 2015
Well thank you very very very much for this detailed report.
So, as I understand, basically you have a HDR capable display but nothing is using it... I can't understand why but as far as my major use would be watching Netflix, Disney and Prime Video.

PS What's Streamo? Never heard about it

Thank you again!

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
If you use Stremio you can watch 4k HDR, DV content no problem. No official streaming platform supports the 4k HDR on Android.

Another more expensive option is The XiaoXin Pad Pro 12.6 (And P12 Pro Globally) which supports FHD Dolby Vision as its a netflix approved device.
Having owned both the E4 AMOLED screen is much much better (to justify the price increase imo) than the 2021 Pad Pro 11".