"Unfortunately google play store has stopped": what to do (general)

Search This thread

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
There are a gazillion threads on this topic, but most of them are about device-specific or carrier-specific problems. However google play store can stop for a number of reasons that are more generic. Googling them is a pain in the butt, as I recently discovered. This thread is intended as a place to collect them together. As well as checking here, it would be important to check on threads for your specific device and carrier, as they may have pushed a bad version.

Cause: Part-installed apps: something went wrong part-way through installing an app
Checking: Check in google play; if it says 'downloading' or 'installing' permanently, something is amiss
Solution: Try uninstalling the app (you may be able to reinstall it successfully afterward)

Cause: /mnt/sdcard is full
Checking: If you have a terminal, use the "df" command, otherwise use a capable file viewer
Solution: On a terminal, "cd /mnt/sdcard", then "du -s (dirname)" to check sizes, "rm -r (dirname)" to remove something (or use 'mv (dirname) /mnt/external_sd if you have an external sd card with some space). On a file viewer, move or remove relevant directories. You can't avoid this: if your sd card is full, you're definitely going to have to remove something (or move it to your external card) - the system isn't going to work with a full card. USE WITH CARE EITHER WAY. Whatever you remove cannot be retrieved, and removing the wrong thing can make your system or applications misbehave.

Cause: Corrupted data
Checking: Try the solutions in increasing order of severity.
Solution:
  1. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
    Clear cache, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
  2. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
    Clear data, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
  3. Go into Settings, then Accounts and Sync, Click on your account, then on options icon, Remove account (ignore warnings - it's easy to restore)
    Restart Google Play. It will ask you to add an account - add your original back in.​

Cause: Corrupted binaries
Checking: Not sure how...
Solution: Install an updated binary. This thread always seems to have the latest. But you should probably check your device and vendor lists in case there is a device-specific binary (I think the more specific binaries currently just add a different skin, but further information would be good). You may also need to reinstall google play services (thanks jpeg1900)
Or:
"I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again." - Thanks Nephatiu (see below).

Please feel free to add further info below. I'll try to incorporate all good nuggets into this post.

PS anyone know a better way to do tables in this wiki?

Last edited:

charminggaurav

Dec 12, 2015
Hy ,
My Google play store stopped working as it was a system app i maded it a user app using root browser after making my Google play store app from system to user it stopped working....... I can open the app but when i try to download any app it says "unfortunately, Google play store has stopped." .......somebody help me please! Please

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
I uninstalled all the updates of both Google Play Store and Services and reentered my credentials for the Google account and it seems to be fine as of now. How to update both Store and Services to the latest version now?

*UPDATE*
It worked fine for 5 minutes and now this problem has arisen again. I am using GT-S7262 with Android v4.1.2 . The phone is not rooted. What should I do now?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2013
I uninstalled all the updates of both Google Play Store and Services and reentered my credentials for the Google account and it seems to be fine as of now. How to update both Store and Services to the latest version now?

*UPDATE*
It worked fine for 5 minutes and now this problem has arisen again. I am using GT-S7262 with Android v4.1.2 . The phone is not rooted. What should I do now?

you can try to clear data and cache, uninstall all updates and then download latest playstore version apk file from outside and install it.
Hope it works.

Reactions: billubakra

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
you can try to clear data and cache, uninstall all updates and then download latest playstore version apk file from outside and install it.
Hope it works.

Cleared data, cache and uninstalled all the updates yesterday itself but it didn't help. From where to download the latest playstore version for my phone? And how to delete the older version which is in the phone?

Feb 19, 2013
just type latest version of playstore.apk in google From the links you can download playstore apk file and simply install it.And then open the playstore.The new play store installed would simply take the place of old one

Hey there just add as an FYI I'm using gb after my s3 died on a dx2 play store would die repeatedly and I'd have to down grade to market which worked at times and other times no. Since I'm on cm7 I was using a cherry mixer theme that's always been a favorite. For sh!ts and giggles I applied another theme that I liked almost as well. This simple change fixed my play store issues completely. So it's something to consider especially on custom roms. Not many are running gb anymore but it could be useful on newer android versions too.

Edit: old versions of many apps can be found on apkmirror.???

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
just type latest version of playstore.apk in google From the links you can download playstore apk file and simply install it.And then open the playstore.The new play store installed would simply take the place of old one

I installed the latest version but when I open the Playstore now, it says cannot connect to internet or something. I don't recall the exact error now. What to do?

Reactions: abhiraj tulsyan
Feb 19, 2013

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
No, it was some other error Dear Abhiraj. I installed the latest version but the result was the same, so again cleared cache, data and reset it to the factory version and now I am getting this error, Error Retrieving Information from Server RH-01. I again installed the latest version of Google Play Store and Services but the result is the same. I don't have any idea why this is happening. This phone of mine just has one or two apps installed and it is used for making calls only. I did not change any setting or something. This error started all of a sudden. What should I do?

does it say "Connection time out error"

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

does it say connection time out error

Feb 19, 2013
No, it was some other error Dear Abhiraj. I installed the latest version but the result was the same, so again cleared cache, data and reset it to the factory version and now I am getting this error, Error Retrieving Information from Server RH-01. I again installed the latest version of Google Play Store and Services but the result is the same. I don't have any idea why this is happening. This phone of mine just has one or two apps installed and it is used for making calls only. I did not change any setting or something. This error started all of a sudden. What should I do?
Clear data of Google Services framework and force stop it.Remove your google account.Clear data of apps such as play store,play services.Then reboot your phone.And sign in with your google account once again.This should work

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
Clear data of Google Services framework and force stop it.Remove your google account.Clear data of apps such as play store,play services.Then reboot your phone.And sign in with your google account once again.This should work

When I first got the cannot connect to internet or some other error, I followed the troubleshooting steps by Googling them. Then I got the RH error. So, I got the same steps as you have mentioned from Google and after following them the factory version of Playstore worked for few minutes and then again I got cannot connect to internet or some other error. Sorry don't recall the errors precisely.

Just now I again followed the steps as mentioned by you, but still the RH error is there. What should I do now?

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
Sorry bro can't do anything more. I would have recommended you to delete host files of google play store if you would have rooted your phone.But my knowledge is only this much limited.Hope for someone bettet to look at your post and help

Ah. Few more questions dear-

1. Why did this error show up at the first place? Like I have told you, I did not change any setting or anything.

2. I can try to root my phone via Kingoroot and if successful I can delete the host files. But will it work? And where is it located?

3. Deleting the host files won't cause any more troubles, right?

4. If I format the phone, then will the problem go away?

jes327

May 9, 2016
I was getting the message "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" no matter what I had tried! I had tried EVERYTHING that was mentioned online and nothing worked! I even rooted my phone! The only thing that finally worked for me to get Play Store working was to download a different browser to my phone which was easier said than done! I remember Play Store had mentioned once that my browser (my phone's default browser) was no longer supported. So after having tried everything else - I remembered the message! I was finally able to download Firefox onto my phone my using the default browser set to Desktop View instead of Mobile View! I made sure to set my phone to allow for 3rd party apps to be downloaded - and finally I was able to download Firefox! Google had kept switching me over to Play Store every time I went to download Firefox until I switched to Desktop View in the phone's default browser! Since Play Store wasn't working I couldn't download Firefox or Chrome using Play Store! Anyway, once I got Firefox installed I disabled my phone's default browser via Settings then Apps and I was all set. Now when I click "Play Store" the Firefox browser opens and gives me instant access.

Reactions: billubakra

billubakra

Sep 1, 2012
I was getting the message "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" no matter what I had tried! I had tried EVERYTHING that was mentioned online and nothing worked! I even rooted my phone! The only thing that finally worked for me to get Play Store working was to download a different browser to my phone which was easier said than done! I remember Play Store had mentioned once that my browser (my phone's default browser) was no longer supported. So after having tried everything else - I remembered the message! I was finally able to download Firefox onto my phone my using the default browser set to Desktop View instead of Mobile View! I made sure to set my phone to allow for 3rd party apps to be downloaded - and finally I was able to download Firefox! Google had kept switching me over to Play Store every time I went to download Firefox until I switched to Desktop View in the phone's default browser! Since Play Store wasn't working I couldn't download Firefox or Chrome using Play Store! Anyway, once I got Firefox installed I disabled my phone's default browser via Settings then Apps and I was all set. Now when I click "Play Store" the Firefox browser opens and gives me instant access.

I am using GT-S7262 with Android v4.1.2 I have also tried pretty much everything but nothing has helped me :( My phone does not have a stock Samsung browser. It had only chrome, but I downloaded Firefox about a year back because chrome sucks. Any more tweaks which I can try?

@abhiraj tulsyan
I opened Android system recovery. I thought clearing cache might help. But there were errors in orange font on this page.

2m2jiup.jpg

What exactly are these errors?

shiv660

Aug 1, 2016
unfortunately google play services has stopped

Hi there i m getting a irritating problem. "Unfortunately google play services has stopped", this message is continuously popping on my screen. I have a cm13 nightly pls fix this !!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a gazillion threads on this topic, but most of them are about device-specific or carrier-specific problems. However google play store can stop for a number of reasons that are more generic. Googling them is a pain in the butt, as I recently discovered. This thread is intended as a place to collect them together. As well as checking here, it would be important to check on threads for your specific device and carrier, as they may have pushed a bad version.

Cause: Part-installed apps: something went wrong part-way through installing an app
    Checking: Check in google play; if it says 'downloading' or 'installing' permanently, something is amiss
    Solution: Try uninstalling the app (you may be able to reinstall it successfully afterward)

Cause: /mnt/sdcard is full
    Checking: If you have a terminal, use the "df" command, otherwise use a capable file viewer
    Solution: On a terminal, "cd /mnt/sdcard", then "du -s (dirname)" to check sizes, "rm -r (dirname)" to remove something (or use 'mv (dirname) /mnt/external_sd if you have an external sd card with some space). On a file viewer, move or remove relevant directories. You can't avoid this: if your sd card is full, you're definitely going to have to remove something (or move it to your external card) - the system isn't going to work with a full card. USE WITH CARE EITHER WAY. Whatever you remove cannot be retrieved, and removing the wrong thing can make your system or applications misbehave.

Cause: Corrupted data
    Checking: Try the solutions in increasing order of severity.
    Solution:
    1. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
      Clear cache, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
    2. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
      Clear data, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
    3. Go into Settings, then Accounts and Sync, Click on your account, then on options icon, Remove account (ignore warnings - it's easy to restore)
      Restart Google Play. It will ask you to add an account - add your original back in.​

Cause: Corrupted binaries
    Checking: Not sure how...
    Solution: Install an updated binary. This thread always seems to have the latest. But you should probably check your device and vendor lists in case there is a device-specific binary (I think the more specific binaries currently just add a different skin, but further information would be good). You may also need to reinstall google play services (thanks jpeg1900)
    Or:
    "I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again." - Thanks Nephatiu (see below).

Please feel free to add further info below. I'll try to incorporate all good nuggets into this post.

PS anyone know a better way to do tables in this wiki?
    I had issues with the Play Store earlier today and tried clearing the app cache and data to no avail, but found another simple fix. I uninstalled updates from version 3.8.15 back to 3.7.15. Worked like a charm.
    What does Hotspot Shield VPN 1.3 have to do with Google Play not working?
    That is an app which creates a VPN so you can access sites that are locked or not authorized.

Personally I went into Settings than Application Manager, then ALL, then Google Play Store.
    After that i cleared all the data, force stopped the app and restarted it again.
    It worked nicely.

just download Hotspot Shield VPN 1.3

http://www.androiddrawer.com/11257/download-hotspot-shield-vpn-1-3-app-apk/

and google play store will work again
    Play Store hanging on download

hi there,
    i have some problems with play store at all. play store is runing well - BUT, if i like to download an app, the download never starts. it says "donloading" but there is no percentage.
    after ~ 15 mins an error is on the display.

any idea?

Not sure. I had a similar problem at one time, and eventually discovered it was due to a specific app that had only half-installed itself (perhaps the tab had crashed halfway through the download, not sure, it's lost in the mists of time). Uninstalling that app got over the problem. However it might help someone (perhaps you) if you post the error message that you get on the display (people are likely to google it, so that you might get together with other people with the same problem).
    Well, my Play Store recently crashed during updates, after which it wouldn't run any longer anymore stating that same message every time I try running it and also every time an app accesses the store for information (which seems to happen when I just open the apps). My sdcard wasn't full, clearing data and cache did nothing, no other data is corrupted, I replaced the market with a fresh copy apk, tried different versions, ... Nothing worked... So, reading the internet, I saw the final solution was to remove and re-add my Google account, but for some reason (not a rational one) I didn't really want to do this, so I went back to CWM recovery mode, reflashed the gapps zip I used the first time and rebooted... Once booted it didn't give me the error I usually get on any other boot since it started crashing, but when I tried running Play Store, it crashed again with the same message... Defeated I went to my Google accounts to remove, at which point (just before doing anything) I noticed the Updates-notification of the Play Store popping up in my notification drawer. I tapped it and Play Store booted, everything works again, and it updated itself back to the latest version, still without any problems.

So in short, if you don't ant to read the entire text:

I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again.

Dunno if this will work for anyone of you, 'cause it depends on the reason it's not working, but this possible solution should not be missing from your list since it worked for at least one person (me). :p

Greetz,

~ Nephatiu