• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [Unified][Kernel][A11/A12] Eva Kernel for Redmi Note 9T / Note 9 5G [Cannon | Cannong]

Search This thread

jc-b

Jan 29, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
This does not. It leads to v1.
I don't understand why my link takes you to V1 but from this page click on "
kernel_xiaomi_cannon "at the top left and you should access the 3 existing release.
I think this link should be the right one
https://github.com/mvaisakh/kernel_xiaomi_cannon/releases/tag/v3

Otherwise here is the direct link of the zip

chaoscreater

Jun 7, 2009
Auckland
Xiaomi Poco F1
I'm using stock MIUI 12.5.5. I flashed TWRP + vbmeta and flashed your v3 kernel.

I'm getting this error everytime on startup - "Android System There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manfufacturer for details".

I Googled this a bit and it seems to be related to Magisk. I'm not using Magisk, I just want to keep my phone unrooted for now. When flashing the kernel, it mentioned something to do with creating kernel helper Magisk module.

Does this kernel need an update to make it work 100% on non-rooted stock MIUI?

UPDATE:
Front facing camera doesn't work with this kernel. It lags like crazy. I can't even get the front facing camera to show up when setting up Face Unlock.

UPDATE 2:
I just flashed my stock boot.img and vbmeta.img back and now all my issues described above are gone. No more "there's an internal problem with your device" error and front facing camera working again. Your kernel is not stable, it's causing these issues....

UPDATE 3:
And now I find another bug. The kernel is keeping the phone awake. I can see in GSAM that the kernel is the one with the highest Held Awake time. This kernel is NOT stable at all.

Last edited:

m_vaisakh

I'm using stock MIUI 12.5.5. I flashed TWRP + vbmeta and flashed your v3 kernel.

I'm getting this error everytime on startup - "Android System There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manfufacturer for details".

I Googled this a bit and it seems to be related to Magisk. I'm not using Magisk, I just want to keep my phone unrooted for now. When flashing the kernel, it mentioned something to do with creating kernel helper Magisk module.

Does this kernel need an update to make it work 100% on non-rooted stock MIUI?

UPDATE:
Front facing camera doesn't work with this kernel. It lags like crazy. I can't even get the front facing camera to show up when setting up Face Unlock.

UPDATE 2:
I just flashed my stock boot.img and vbmeta.img back and now all my issues described above are gone. No more "there's an internal problem with your device" error and front facing camera working again. Your kernel is not stable, it's causing these issues....

UPDATE 3:
And now I find another bug. The kernel is keeping the phone awake. I can see in GSAM that the kernel is the one with the highest Held Awake time. This kernel is NOT stable at all.

I haven't had time to fix the bugs with v3, it was never posted here in XDA. It just exists on my releases page. Reporting bugs here on XDA is pointless.
You also need to attach logs for all those aforementioned bugs.
Please refrain from talking about a build that was never released here.

chaoscreater

Jun 7, 2009
Auckland
Xiaomi Poco F1
I haven't had time to fix the bugs with v3, it was never posted here in XDA. It just exists on my releases page. Reporting bugs here on XDA is pointless.
You also need to attach logs for all those aforementioned bugs.
Please refrain from talking about a build that was never released here.

Well, your XDA post links all your releases to Github, so it's not like I found your v3 through some secret channel.

1636066238627.png

And naturally, people would download the latest release. If it was buggy, then it probably shouldn't be put up for download?

UPDATE:
OK, it turns out that your kernel doesn't work with stock MIUI ROM with encryption (which is the default). I had to remove encryption by using this:

Have to also flash vbmeta after flashing the above. Once MIUI is decrypted, your kernel will work with front facing camera again and Face Unlock will work as well.

The held-awake wakelock issue seems to be resolved as well. Kernel seems fine so far. Only small issue is the "Android System There's an internal problem with your device..." message that you get at startup, but that's not really causing any issues as far as I can see.

I think this kernel does free up maybe 100~200MB of extra RAM compared to stock, hence why I am using it. So far, battery llife is fine (about 10 mins SOT per 1% drain, same as before on stock kernel).

UPDATE 2:
NOPE, I take that back. Front facing camera still buggy with this kernel.

UPDATE 3:
Same issue on a GSI ROM.

Last edited:

jc-b

Jan 29, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Update!

Release 4
Changelog:
  • Completely rebased source
  • Resolved all bugs present in Eva Kernel Release 3
  • Remove massive memory overheads
  • Most of the changes from Eva Kernel Release 3
  • Faster GPU ioctls
  • Display driver enhancements
  • Reduce logspams
  • Kernel is compiled with EvaGCC
After flash EVA 4, VBmeta and Magisk and wipe cache .I get stuck on the MIUI screen.
No problem with eva 1,2,3.
an idea ???

Icône de validation par la communauté

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Eva-Kernel-Logo.png

Eva Kernel is a custom kernel based on the official Xiaomi Kernel Source code, with primary focus on better battery life without compromising the performance. The kernel is not bloated with many features, but just enough optimisations to give you an overall smoother experience.

Features:

• Dropped unnecessary i2c dumps: This is meant for debugging certain aspects of kernel that use the i2c interface. It takes up quite crucial amounts of CPU and memory during getting and printing the dumps. Disabling it gives us improved CPU performance and saves us certain amounts of memory.
    • Drop sdFAT and integrated upstream exFAT: This driver is slower and has an older codebase. Upstream exFAT driver on the other hand is much faster and is an upto date driver with better codebase. You can follow exFAT link below and check the comparison with different driver comparison in the README of the exFAT repository.
    • Disabled Trustzone debugging: Trustzone is a secure interface which has no significance with enabled debugging for a user.
    • Fixed printing APIs for several drivers: Printing APIs in kernel are totally mismatched, this leads to cluttered logs and such spammed logs are hard to read and understand while also taking up quite a lot of CPU during the process. The fix here is to report with the proper printing, such as pr_err for errors and pr_warn for warnings, as this wasn't the case in this kernel.
    • Disabled Audio debugging. This has no significance for the developer and user because audio drivers have been perfected and improved by the vendor and OEMs themselves. As I've mentioned earlier, debugging wastes CPU and memory.
    • Disable MTK Systracker. A hardware level debugging tracker. This slows down the CPU by almost a 5% margin in my test cases. CPU usage is a crucial part in a smartphone, and improvising it is a crucial part to achieve better performance and battery life.
    • Purged display logging. Display, just like audio is an improvised driver, which needs no user level debugging.
    • Disabled blocktag driver. This is a driver meant for debugging and benchmarking I/O performance of filesystems. This is unnecessary for a general user and makes no sense to have a kernel level benchmark on production builds.
    • Disable CPU cbit printing. Usage of snprintf is a runtime process with additional overheads. This has no significance for a user.
    • Disable APU-Sys and VPU debugging. These are mediatek hardware processing units. Debugging on them is unnecessary for a general user.
    • Reduced massive memory overhead.
    • Display driver enhancements.

Supported Devices:
    • Both devices are supported (Android 11 and Android 12).
    • MIUI 12.4.x (Android 10) is not supported!

Download:
    Download from my Github Releases!

Installation:
    • Unlock your bootloader using official Mi Tool (Warnnig! This will wipe your entire storage)
    • Reboot to bootloader, flash TWRP recovery image, you can find it here, flash it using
      Bash:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • Reboot to recovery from the bootloader using
      Bash:
      fastboot reboot recovery
    • Once in recovery, connect your phone to PC and you will see MTP is detected. Copy the Kernel zip to your internal storage
    • In recovery tap on Eva Kernel zip that you copied to internal storage
    • Swipe to flash
    • Make sure you flash vbmeta from TWRP Release page (WARNING!: Without this vbmeta, your phone will not boot!)
    • Flash magisk for root (optional)
    • Reboot and enjoy!

Found a bug?
    • File an issue in my github kernel source.
    • Issues should have a description with logcat. Grab a logcat using:
      Bash:
      # If you have root
       adb shell su -c dmesg > dmesg.log

# If you don't have root
       adb logcat -b kernel > kernel.log
    • Had a random reboot? This requires a different type of log, grab that using:
      Bash:
      adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > last-log.log

Credits:

Sources:

Extras
    Updates

Release 4

Changelog:
    • Completely rebased source
    • Resolved all bugs present in Eva Kernel Release 3
    • Remove massive memory overheads
    • Most of the changes from Eva Kernel Release 3
    • Faster GPU ioctls
    • Display driver enhancements
    • Reduce logspams
    • Kernel is compiled with EvaGCC
    congratulations you are amazing
    Pro , Thanks for Fixing unnecessary logspams in Mtk Kernels :)