uninstall bloatware, method and which application remove

Search This thread

jrbmed08

Aug 14, 2012
Bay Area, CA
To save data all you do is flash the system, you'll still have to disable apps and stuff but won't have to start from scratch like you do when you do a full wipe.

I think I screwed something up along the way, because System Update now force closes whenever I try to open it. So I tried to reflash just the system, but it didn't restore the apps I had disabled either in settings or via ADB. I followed by reflashing everything excluding userdata, but again had the same result. It sounds like a factory reset would be the only way to restore these apps. Unless you know of another way?

Edit: Never mind. I found an apk of Advanced Logging on apkmirror and reinstalling it did not solve my problem. I guess I'm factory resetting yet again...

Last edited:

gdlm00

Jan 10, 2017
I have noticed that Software Update my ZX1 keeps wanting to install Booking.Com app.
I tried to get rid of this update by installing, clearing out all the data then de-installing it.
Immediately the install request comes back as an Application Update.
Any ideas how to get rid of this?? Is it one of Sony's bloatware apps wanting to install it and if so which one so I can clear it out?

Didgesteve

Nov 24, 2011
Truro
I have noticed that Software Update my ZX1 keeps wanting to install Booking.Com app.
I tried to get rid of this update by installing, clearing out all the data then de-installing it.
Immediately the install request comes back as an Application Update.
Any ideas how to get rid of this?? Is it one of Sony's bloatware apps wanting to install it and if so which one so I can clear it out?

Sony wouldn't be pushing Booking.com, neither would a phone provider. Sounds dodgy.
I've not idea what the package is called, but you should be able to uninstall it.
The instructions are on the head of this op, but just:

adb shell
pm list packages ?

Then look for something ending in booking.com

pm uninstall --user 0 "packagenamegoeshere"
reboot

gdlm00

Jan 10, 2017
Sony wouldn't be pushing Booking.com, neither would a phone provider. Sounds dodgy.
I've not idea what the package is called, but you should be able to uninstall it.
The instructions are on the head of this op, but just:

adb shell
pm list packages ?

Then look for something ending in booking.com

pm uninstall --user 0 "packagenamegoeshere"
reboot

Thanks Didgesteve
Followed instructions - the app in list packages is com.booking should anyone else be looking for it.
Did the uninstall and it was successful.
However when I did reboot the Booking.com app is there again in the Application Updates tab in Software Update.
It showed up after I updated phone to 47.1.A.12.34 yesterday
When I looked at the details of the App it does not permit Force Stop and says that under the Store/App details that App was installed by Software Update
Now I know it would seem unlikely that Sony have added this app as bloatware but a search around Android forums did say that it was bloatware on a Samsung a couple of years ago.
More curious each time I look at it.
Maybe Sony did add the package as part of the 47.1.A.12.34 update after all in the package description displayed when you long click on the update it says "Book hotels .... and more on your Sony Xperia with Booking.com" so that's a bit of a giveway as to it being installed as Sony bloatware.
I'm not going to install it but puzzled why I cannot get rid of the request to install it.
Cheers

Last edited:

mhaha

Feb 13, 2014
That booking app is indeed offered by Sony, obviously Sony entered an agreement with booking to push their app.
Just ignore it.

My phone doesn't nag me to install it, what kind of requests are you getting?
I've disabled auto download and update, and may have blocked permission to show notifications.

Dany XP

Oct 30, 2011
Milano
That booking app is indeed offered by Sony, obviously Sony entered an agreement with booking to push their app.
Just ignore it.

My phone doesn't nag me to install it, what kind of requests are you getting?
I've disabled auto download and update, and may have blocked permission to show notifications.
This. And I want to add: booking was available in software update even a few days BEFORE the .34 update. I simply ignore it...

wyzzy

Jan 14, 2009
I am wondering does this method actually free up space on the device more than if the apps are just disabled? As it doesn't actually completely uninstall anything just hides it for that particular user.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    read about the command 'adb uninstall --user 0 <package name>'
    but I would like some tutorial to do it right

In order for you to avoid mistake, here is what I've done on mine:
    1) Under your application list, force stop app, then delete cache, delete data and finally deactivate the app
    2) If not already done, activate developer option, by tapping 7 time on build version
    3) Enable USB debugging only
    4) Download android platform tools from official developer website according your OS, unzip tools into a folder, and open a cmd console from there
    4) Plug you device, do not select any option
    5) Test your connection by typing C:\>adb devices to see if your phone is correctly seen by your computer, accept any prompt from your devices if any, and yours should appear on the list under the console. This tuto is still useful if needed on this step
    6) Then enter this following command to get the list of any deactivated application
    Code:
    C:\Users\baudbox\Downloads\platform-tools>adb shell pm list packages -d
    package:com.sonymobile.deqp
    package:com.google.android.apps.work.oobconfig
    package:com.google.android.webview
    package:com.sonyericsson.xhs
    package:com.google.android.videos
    7) Finally remove each dedicated application, one by one by the following command:
    Code:
    C:\Users\baudbox\Downloads\platform-tools>adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos
    Success
    You should have a Success at the line.

If you have any doubt of the package name, just grab the name and browse either on xda or internet to find out what to which app belongs the package name.
    Hope that helps
    Here is a list of safe applications to uninstall .. is in German. but it is understood.{

https://www.android-hilfe.de/forum/...pps-bloatware-entfernen-ohne-root.852451.html
    Anyone know the package name for whats new? Hate that stupid app and I can't disable it so I can't find it with the above method.

Thanks
    com.sonymobile.entrance
    I am ignoring it and I don't get nagged to install it, it just appears on the System Update under an Application tab.
    Thx to all that responded.
    is it root access? or still as an official software?

Nope, no root access is needed.