[UNIVERSAL] ParrotMod - SPEED UP the 2012 Nexus 7! FULL FLASH STORAGE SPEED FIX!

sandsofmyst

Oct 17, 2009
Experience with this mod (This is from a factory reset just last week to get it to 5.1.1):

The app cache wasn't rebuilt on start and the initial boot didn't take "TAKE 5-10 MIN". It was just a normal boot. No app cache rebuild or anything. The homscreen was missing icons.

"Wait for device to spontaneously reboot after the lock screen appears" did not occur. Lockscreen is off so must not work in that case?

Initial use was horribly slow (same as before). Was about to type here that its still unusable when...

It seems as more use occurs, it gets faster. There may still be some hesitation, but its far faster then it was. Currently unknown if I will stick with this or move onto something else - all depends on how it goes.

Thanks for putting this out there. Hopefully it keeps the speed coming.

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
Experience with this mod (This is from a factory reset just last week to get it to 5.1.1):

The app cache wasn't rebuilt on start and the initial boot didn't take "TAKE 5-10 MIN". It was just a normal boot. No app cache rebuild or anything. The homscreen was missing icons.

"Wait for device to spontaneously reboot after the lock screen appears" did not occur. Lockscreen is off so must not work in that case?

Initial use was horribly slow (same as before). Was about to type here that its still unusable when...

It seems as more use occurs, it gets faster. There may still be some hesitation, but its far faster then it was. Currently unknown if I will stick with this or move onto something else - all depends on how it goes.

Thanks for putting this out there. Hopefully it keeps the speed coming.
Something is wrong. The device should have rebooted 30 sec after it finished first boot. Do you have SuperSU?

Also in all of my testing I have flashed it IMMEDIATELY after a reset. So it would reboot while at the blue welcome screen

Reactions: sandsofmyst

sandsofmyst

Oct 17, 2009
Something is wrong. The device should have rebooted 30 sec after it finished first boot. Do you have SuperSU?

Also in all of my testing I have flashed it IMMEDIATELY after a reset. So it would reboot while at the blue welcome screen
Removed lastpmver.txt then rebooted with result: The script did finally reboot it 1-2 or more minutes later.

Looks like it was delayed from how slow the tablet is running. Initial os speed after further reboot is still unusably slow, improving after a few minutes and greatly for each downloaded app after first run.

Further reboots show initial os speed may be increasing. Though initial non-system app open speed can still be counted by 10s of seconds and Activity creation can be a bit slow as well (also initially). App resume speed is normal or close to and usage of app following resume is as well.

Before, the apps were [to me] constantly unusably slow - even android settings was super slow. So the mod has definitely made a great improvement.

Wiping cache via twrp result: A little to nothing.

(You've received two thanks.)

Last edited:
Reactions: parrotgeek1

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
Removed lastpmver.txt then rebooted with result: The script did finally reboot it 1-2 or more minutes later.

Looks like it was delayed from how slow the tablet is running. Initial os speed after further reboot is still unusably slow, improving after a few minutes and greatly for each downloaded app after first run.

Further reboots show initial os speed may be increasing. Though initial non-system app open speed can still be counted by 10s of seconds and Activity creation can be a bit slow as well (also initially). App resume speed is normal or close to and usage of app following resume is as well.

Before, the apps were [to me] constantly unusably slow - even android settings was super slow. So the mod has definitely made a great improvement.

Wiping cache via twrp result: A little to nothing.

(You've received two thanks.)
Please do a test! in terminal emulator as root do touch /sdcard/use4kblock
reboot and see if it has improved read speed (but also check if /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb was actually set to 4)

It is possible that my script is failing to fstrim your device properly; the use of the discard mount option means that downloading apps COULD actually speed it up. Try downloading this and trim all https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fifthelement.trimmer&hl=en

Also This mod is really meant for the tablets that are at the "irritatingly slow" stage, not the "write speeds fell off a cliff" stage. If you want to improve it slightly maybe set read_ahead_kb to 1024 and delete discard from mount options. I might add it as an aroma installer option

Last edited:
Reactions: sandsofmyst

sandsofmyst

Oct 17, 2009
Please do a test! in terminal emulator as root do touch /sdcard/use4kblock
reboot and see if it has improved read speed (but also check if /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb was actually set to 4)
As-is with use4kblock created, read_ahead_kb continues to show 512 after reboot. Apparently hitting the else at the end.

Edit: Not precisely your desired idea here but showing why its failing, the following path works while /sdcard fails:
Code:
if [ -f "/system/su.d/use4kblock" ]; then
Interestingly, I had changed some code around and even with the file check, it had resulted in 2048 (although error value) being written to read_ahead_kb through the /sdcard file check path so it seems like it should work [for /sdcard] with some specific change.

It is possible that my script is failing to fstrim your device properly; the use of the discard mount option means that downloading apps COULD actually speed it up. Try downloading this and trim all https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fifthelement.trimmer&hl=en
Thanks, forgot about the fstrim app (Have nook hd+ with same emmc chip & not as safe: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs#MAG2GA_TRIM_bug), but it seems to not have made any noticeable difference (even after multiple reboots).

Also This mod is really meant for the tablets that are at the "irritatingly slow" stage, not the "write speeds fell off a cliff" stage. If you want to improve it slightly maybe set read_ahead_kb to 1024 and delete discard from mount options. I might add it as an aroma installer option
Interestingly app first start performance seems to be much better after using the value 4 + removing discard + reboot. That might have done it :)

For now, staying with this and seeing what happens. Thanks.

Last edited:

sandsofmyst

Oct 17, 2009
what does "error value" mean
The result of some error occurring that causes echo to somehow write 2048 to the file after it puked, or in other words, I expect trying to write another value then 4 wouldn't have changed the value 2048 which is therefore the result of error.

I think that it is because /system/bin/sdcard (the fuse filesystem) is not yet running when su.d is running
+1 It has the best feeling of correctness :)

adeelraj

Oct 16, 2011
Karachi
i installed this on custom 5.1.1 rom and nexus 7 runs smooth again

plz make it all devices universal mod

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

i have mmx unite 2 on kitkat rom
mtk 6582
can i install this on this

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
i installed this on custom 5.1.1 rom and nexus 7 runs smooth again

plz make it all devices universal mod

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

i have mmx unite 2 on kitkat rom
mtk 6582
can i install this on this

No. Eventually you might be able to but there are a lot of file paths that are different between different devices and I have to figure them out. MTK devices have a lot of weird quirks. I'm not sure if I want to make it "universal" because then thousands of people would ask me questions.

P.s. this mod is only for devices with slow internal flash memory as the main problem. Pls download androbench app and it would only help if you get < 20 mb/s read or < 5 write

Last edited:
Reactions: adeelraj

serialkillazzs

Jan 17, 2010
i couldn't fix it either, it happens to me too
BlackBerry playbook chargers work well, check Amazon they have yellow tips and travel adaptors.

Plus if you have a dead battery plug it into a usb 3.0 powered port to bring it back to life

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Please release a tilapia fix when you have time

Riardon

May 6, 2013
God what is this black magic voodoo did to my Nexus 7? It's smooth and fast again. Before that I tried many custom roms from JellyBean to KitKat and Marshmallow with no avail until I found this mod. My tablet is usable once again thank you so much.

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
God what is this black magic voodoo did to my Nexus 7? It's smooth and fast again. Before that I tried many custom roms from JellyBean to KitKat and Marshmallow with no avail until I found this mod. My tablet is usable once again thank you so much.
You're welcome. Glad it's useful for so many people. I'm going to make a universal version for any rom soon

Reactions: Harpratap