• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

"UNKNOWN" caller ID problem

Search This thread

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Hi guys,
I have a Chinese RN7P in Germany and so far I'm very happy with it. The only major issue remaining is that it doesn't show who is calling me. I have tried several ROMs (Pixel Experience & Evolution X), but the problem persists in both.

Even a new SIM card from my provider (Aldi Talk) didn't help, so I'm really hoping you guys can give me a hint what the problem might be and maybe even how to fix it! :fingers-crossed:

Thank you in advance!

Naveenthemi

Hi guys,
I have a Chinese RN7P in Germany and so far I'm very happy with it. The only major issue remaining is that it doesn't show who is calling me. I have tried several ROMs (Pixel Experience & Evolution X), but the problem persists in both.

Even a new SIM card from my provider (Aldi Talk) didn't help, so I'm really hoping you guys can give me a hint what the problem might be and maybe even how to fix it! :fingers-crossed:

Thank you in advance!
What happens when a call comes in? The number alone is displayed eh?

hackermssharma

Nov 13, 2017
laxmangarh
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Hi guys,

Thank you in advance!
Where is your contact nos are saved in phone memory, sim, on mi, on google? Try changing the option btw them

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using XDA Labs

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
What happens when a call comes in? The number alone is displayed eh?
No, nothing is displayed except "Call from Unknown". However, I just discovered that when I did not answer, I got a message from my mailbox that included the number.

Where is your contact nos are saved in phone memory, sim, on mi, on google? Try changing the option btw them
They are stored in my Google account. Sadly I don't see an option to export the contact to the SIM where I'd expect (e.g. Contacts - Settings - Export).

I should also note that when I put my SIM into another phone, caller ID works flawlessly. :/

Naveenthemi

No, nothing is displayed except "Call from Unknown". However, I just discovered that when I did not answer, I got a message from my mailbox that included the number.

They are stored in my Google account. Sadly I don't see an option to export the contact to the SIM where I'd expect (e.g. Contacts - Settings - Export).

I should also note that when I put my SIM into another phone, caller ID works flawlessly. :/
Maybe it's smth to do with the permission setting? if not try reinstalling MIUI....

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro

Puh, that took a while for me to try it out. Anyways, YES, it does work on the official Chinese ROM (both 10.3.9.0 and 10.3.11.0). And it stops working after I then flash a custom ROM. :silly:

So it has to be the ROMs, right? But then why is this not a more widespread problem? I'm really confused now. :confused:

By now I have also tried Lineage OS and Havoc, all of them don't show the caller ID while the stock one does. This is positively weird.

Naveenthemi

Puh, that took a while for me to try it out. Anyways, YES, it does work on the official Chinese ROM (both 10.3.9.0 and 10.3.11.0). And it stops working after I then flash a custom ROM. :silly:

So it has to be the ROMs, right? But then why is this not a more widespread problem? I'm really confused now. :confused:

By now I have also tried Lineage OS and Havoc, all of them don't show the caller ID while the stock one does. This is positively weird.
Weird indeed as none of the other users have reported this particular bug on LOS or any other custom ROM... Maybe you should bring this up with the devs, in case they have a potential fix?..

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Weird indeed as none of the other users have reported this particular bug on LOS or any other custom ROM...
Yeah, I just tried the ROM from xiaomi.eu and it works with that one as well, so that's at least something (I'd still prefer a ROM from here).

Maybe you should bring this up with the devs, in case they have a potential fix?..
Yeah, I have no idea how to even get started on this. And since it seems a rare occurrence, I doubt there is much interest in a fix or fixing it. :crying:

Naveenthemi

Yeah, I just tried the ROM from xiaomi.eu and it works with that one as well, so that's at least something (I'd still prefer a ROM from here).

Yeah, I have no idea how to even get started on this. And since it seems a rare occurrence, I doubt there is much interest in a fix or fixing it. :crying:
Try commenting in all the respective ROM forums, PM the devs if there's no response...

Kevindiepenmaat

May 26, 2008
Borne
Strange but true, i do have the same problem, i have it with an Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro.

When i am on stock it is no problem at all but any custom rom has this issue. Firmware does nog make a difference.

apopiel85

Aug 28, 2014
Unknown called ID problem

Weird indeed as none of the other users have reported this particular bug on LOS or any other custom ROM... Maybe you should bring this up with the devs, in case they have a potential fix?..

Please check out my post @Markstar , @Kevindiepenmaat, @Naveenthemi. I think i just replicated the issue on the mi10 global:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-10/help/unknown-flash-xiaomi-eu-miui-11-stable-t4108887

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

@Markstar, have you fixed this for your phone yet? i have the mi10 and just like in this post, original eeu rom, caller id works, xiaomi.eu, its displayed as unknown, but in messenger app it says the number as missed call, or a sms

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Hmm, it definitely sounds like the same issue, however, for me it was the opposite: the xiaomi.eu ROM works while all others don't.

@Markstar, have you fixed this for your phone yet? i have the mi10 and just like in this post, original eeu rom, caller id works, xiaomi.eu, its displayed as unknown, but in messenger app it says the number as missed call, or a sms
As I said before, I "solved" it by using the ROM from xiaomi.eu (currently MIUI 11.2, 20.4.1). I was thinking about trying another ROM now that almost a year has passed, but I simply don't have the time due to the Corona chaos. :silly:

Ali.m9thna

Jan 31, 2019
I have the same issue

Strange but true, i do have the same problem, i have it with an Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro.

When i am on stock it is no problem at all but any custom rom has this issue. Firmware does nog make a difference.

I have the same issue with 9t pro using pixel experience rom

MIUI 11 AND 12 working just fine

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

I just solved the issue, by disabling 4g/volte call funxtion on the sim card that has the issue

Thanks .. that works for me
9t pro with pixel experience rom

Reactions: Kevindiepenmaat

Markstar

Mar 10, 2010
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Please check out my post @Markstar , @Kevindiepenmaat, @Naveenthemi. I think i just replicated the issue on the mi10 global:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-10/help/unknown-flash-xiaomi-eu-miui-11-stable-t4108887

Ali.m9thna said:

Thanks, I can now (finally) confirm that disabling "4G Calling" solves the issue (Pixel Experience ROM). :) :good:
Settings -> Network & internet -> [Your SIM/network] -> 4G Calling

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
Thanks, I can now (finally) confirm that disabling "4G Calling" solves the issue
I am facing the same issue on a POCO X3 NFC, strangely only for one of the two used SIMs.

Deactivating "4G Calling" solves the issue, though this is not a solution but a workaround. I don't want to miss the "Enhanced 4G" / VoLTE features, so what's the deal with this problem, which seems to be a general Xiaomi issue?

Kevindiepenmaat

May 26, 2008
Borne
I am facing the same issue on a POCO X3 NFC, strangely only for one of the two used SIMs.

Deactivating "4G Calling" solves the issue, though this is not a solution but a workaround. I don't want to miss the "Enhanced 4G" / VoLTE features, so what's the deal with this problem, which seems to be a general Xiaomi issue?

Agree, but it does not occur when using stock afaik.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same issue

I have the same issue with 9t pro using pixel experience rom

MIUI 11 AND 12 working just fine

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

I just solved the issue, by disabling 4g/volte call funxtion on the sim card that has the issue

I do agree when the option is not presented then the problem does not occur. Having that said. Who says that the issue is not an provider issue. I mean we are using an service of theirs. With a custom ROM we can enable functions that probably not supported ( according to my provider KPN, they don't offer calling via enhanced LTE for certain models, this will change though).
    It's a known problem not only with Xiaomi devices. Not sure who to blame, might be the providers' fault as well.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, the workaround is to disable the "Enhanced LTE" feature or to correct the issue in the provider settings using the QPST PDC Tool.