• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unlimited 4G ending on Thursday

Search This thread

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
I just learned tonight that as of Thursday, 3 days from now, 4G data plans will be capped.

The new cap will be 5GB. Pricing overage is not specified just yet, I would assume the standard $10/GB overage.

This is for any NEW customers and any upgrades done AFTER this day. Anyone who already has a TBolt is grandfathered in (myself included). Spread the word, and let your friends/family know should they need a truly unlimited plan.

I would expect an announcement tomorrow sometime. Just wanted to let you guys know.

rajuabju

Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles
www.rajuabju.com
My business rep has also told me that people getting 4G data plans better do it now, before it changes. He did not tell me this Thursday, but his feeling was no more than 30 days after the TB was released. He also told me there's no guarantee anyone on the unlim plans will be grandfathered.

javawolfpack

Sep 6, 2010
My business rep has also told me that people getting 4G data plans better do it now, before it changes. He did not tell me this Thursday, but his feeling was no more than 30 days after the TB was released. He also told me there's no guarantee anyone on the unlim plans will be grandfathered.

There would be lots of trouble for not grandfathering people already up and running on unlimited 4G data plans. If it isn't in the contract they can't suddenly put it into the contract. Additionally as the TB currently offers no built in mechanism to turn off 4G for those who got it under the concept of it having unlimited data would have to be offered the option to return their phones, etc... Seriously it'd be a PR nightmare/huge trouble for VZW to not grandfather people in, its the same reason AT&T did it for people who already had unlimited plans when they moved to a tiered system.

Last edited:

Diversion

Mar 2, 2010
So what happens when we want to move onto another 4g device? Are they going to allow us to transfer our 4g plan to the new device and retain our unlimited? I'd imagine since the LTE sim is swappable.. we can probably just pop it into another device and keep unlimited..

Any thoughts?

allquixotic

Mar 19, 2011
Baltimore, MD
So glad I bought my Tbird on release day.

So pissed that Verizon would do this. After the gov't sat on their hands and made them go either unlimited or 5GB (not "5GB unlimited") in years past, their CDMA based data plans have been unlimited ever since. REALLY unlimited. Unless you're in the 95th percentile. Maybe.

But now they're going the way of the greedy [email protected]#[email protected]#%(^#$^$$%#$$ at AT&T? What happened to the carrier that was both reliable-thanks-CDMA and consumer-friendly-thanks-Sprint, in the same package?

Major regression. Very unhappy. I'm glad I have grandfathered, but I wonder if I will be forced over to a 5GB plan in two years when my contract expires.

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
I'm glad I became a Verizon customer this past Sunday. I was with T-Mobile till the news broke out. I refuse to give AT&T any of my money!

Anyway, I'm glad I made this move. The Thunderbolt is crazy fast, and I'm very happy with it. Oh, only 1 thing I did hate.... My battery died after 3 hours of being fully charged.

javawolfpack

Sep 6, 2010
So what happens when we want to move onto another 4g device? Are they going to allow us to transfer our 4g plan to the new device and retain our unlimited? I'd imagine since the LTE sim is swappable.. we can probably just pop it into another device and keep unlimited..

Any thoughts?

I'd think that switching devices isn't an issue. Take AT&T they only forced people to tiered if they change out of the unlimited data plan. As their entry level tiered was priced at like $15/mo vs $30 so some people who didn't use much data chose to do that but never could get unlimited again. Also for developers and the like switching between devices for testing on Verizon it seems to require switching a phone ID and activating that device, but I assume with 4G the sim card would only need to be moved? I'm unsure as to how that works, but I'll likely need to move between my TB, which arrives tomorrow, and my Incredible for development purposes. So I'm sure I'll figure out the details soon.

Can we get some sort of confirmation to this rumor?

I assume until Verizon makes an official statement it'll remain a rumor. Regardless, sooner than I've been hearing. I'd heard tiered by the summer. But suppose a test run for a week might be enough to see what kind of saturation to expect network wise. But think before the bionics release would be a reasonable guess. But well wish it wasn't headed that way. Think the approach of I think sprint just charging an additional $10/mo if you want 4G isn't a bad business model. Plus the users who get these phones and barely use any data would likely offset from those who do...

Last edited:

RafficaX

Feb 7, 2011
Chicago
I'd think that switching devices isn't an issue. Take AT&T they only forced people to tiered if they change out of the unlimited data plan. As their entry level tiered was priced at like $15/mo vs $30 so some people who didn't use much data chose to do that but never could get unlimited again. Also for developers and the like switching between devices for testing on Verizon it seems to require switching a phone ID and activating that device, but I assume with 4G the sim card would only need to be moved? I'm unsure as to how that works, but I'll likely need to move between my TB, which arrives tomorrow, and my Incredible for development purposes. So I'm sure I'll figure out the details soon.

I assume until Verizon makes an official statement it'll remain a rumor. Regardless, sooner than I've been hearing. I'd heard tiered by the summer. But suppose a test run for a week might be enough to see what kind of saturation to expect network wise. But think before the bionics release would be a reasonable guess. But well wish it wasn't headed that way. Think the approach of I think sprint just charging an additional $10/mo if you want 4G isn't a bad business model. Plus the users who get these phones and barely use any data would likely offset from those who do...

after testing lte i would pay $10 a month more for it.

Philosophre

Mar 17, 2010
My Verizon Rep is allowing me to upgrade early, but pay Verizon price for the phone. But my upgrade is the 29th of March. So if I can, I would wait and grab from Amazon. So until some sort of verification somewhere I'll wait. They won't do a surprise change would they?

allquixotic

Mar 19, 2011
Baltimore, MD
My Verizon Rep is allowing me to upgrade early, but pay Verizon price for the phone. But my upgrade is the 29th of March. So if I can, I would wait and grab from Amazon. So until some sort of verification somewhere I'll wait. They won't do a surprise change would they?

Don't think for a minute that they won't do a surprise change! The legalese you click / sign through when you're becoming a customer says they can change any part of any of your terms at any time with or without notice, basically they can decide that it's $1,000 per byte and that's just tough luck for you. Of course they would probably get sued for being unreasonable, but you see my point. The act of changing the deal on a dime is not illegal because you agreed to let them.

And if you aren't even a Verizon Unlimited Smartphone Data Plan customer at all right now, they have even less obligation to you, because you aren't a customer, and you have no chance of being grandfathered.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Don't think for a minute that they won't do a surprise change! The legalese you click / sign through when you're becoming a customer says they can change any part of any of your terms at any time with or without notice, basically they can decide that it's $1,000 per byte and that's just tough luck for you. Of course they would probably get sued for being unreasonable, but you see my point. The act of changing the deal on a dime is not illegal because you agreed to let them.

And if you aren't even a Verizon Unlimited Smartphone Data Plan customer at all right now, they have even less obligation to you, because you aren't a customer, and you have no chance of being grandfathered.

this was my understanding. Even if they have a contract with you, they can still change it, but it then gives you an option, you bend over and take the changes, or you can leave with no ETF.

Also if they are not going to grandfather people in, then I will be returning my phone within the 30 days and going with another carrier. I like their coverage and LTE is crazy, but a 5GB cap on internet speeds this fast? you'll be hitting cap in a week.

I am hoping that the whole deal between AT&T and T-Mobile becoming one company makes them change their mind, or at least rethink the data plans.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just learned tonight that as of Thursday, 3 days from now, 4G data plans will be capped.

The new cap will be 5GB. Pricing overage is not specified just yet, I would assume the standard $10/GB overage.

This is for any NEW customers and any upgrades done AFTER this day. Anyone who already has a TBolt is grandfathered in (myself included). Spread the word, and let your friends/family know should they need a truly unlimited plan.

I would expect an announcement tomorrow sometime. Just wanted to let you guys know.
    And the gospel has spoke. I am grandfathered young skywalker.

The unlimited data is strong with this one...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App
    And the gospel has spoke. I am grandfathered young skywalker.
    This is the reason I upgraded immediately, even if it required paying full retail :p
    This is what I was afraid of.. glad I JUST got mine lol