Question Unlimited Google Photos storage: What are the options?

Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google stopped the unlimited storage feature for Pixel phones, beginning with Pixel 6. Check out the support article here.

Basically, only the original Pixel device launched in 2016 provides unlimited storage for photos and videos in original quality.

Pixel 2 to Pixel 5 allow unlimited storage in 'High Quality', which is now called 'Storage Saver'. You can learn about the details here.

I have a Google One subscription, but the rate at which I'm using up the plan, I would have to upgrade to a higher subscription tier soon. One way to avoid that would be to get a Google Pixel 5 or older model.

I'm aware of mods that will allow any rooted device to game the system and get unlimited storage on Google Photos. But it is risky and Google can easily plug those loopholes in future.

My question is this:

1. If I capture photos and videos using my other phones, copy them over to my Pixel and then use it to upload them to Google Photos, will I have access to unlimited storage (in storage saver quality)? I know this worked earlier. The question is if this still works?

2. Does this method make any financial sense? Looking at the storage plans and the cost of a Pixel device, it would take a minimum of 10 years to recover the initial investment, and I'm not sure if the phone will last that long. But assuming that it does, are the efforts worth it?

Reactions: duttyend

Jan Skokan

Nov 22, 2022
Xiaomi Redmi 8A
Motorola Edge 30
Hi, there are two options and that is to install pixel experience rom thanks to which you get unlimited storage for photos and videos in Google Photos or you can use this LSPosed module thanks to which you can also get unlimited storage for Google Photos.
Google stopped the unlimited storage feature for Pixel phones, beginning with Pixel 6. Check out the support article here.

Basically, only the original Pixel device launched in 2016 provides unlimited storage for photos and videos in original quality.

Pixel 2 to Pixel 5 allow unlimited storage in 'High Quality', which is now called 'Storage Saver'. You can learn about the details here.

I have a Google One subscription, but the rate at which I'm using up the plan, I would have to upgrade to a higher subscription tier soon. One way to avoid that would be to get a Google Pixel 5 or older model.

I'm aware of mods that will allow any rooted device to game the system and get unlimited storage on Google Photos. But it is risky and Google can easily plug those loopholes in future.

My question is this:

1. If I capture photos and videos using my other phones, copy them over to my Pixel and then use it to upload them to Google Photos, will I have access to unlimited storage (in storage saver quality)? I know this worked earlier. The question is if this still works?

2. Does this method make any financial sense? Looking at the storage plans and the cost of a Pixel device, it would take a minimum of 10 years to recover the initial investment, and I'm not sure if the phone will last that long. But assuming that it does, are the efforts worth it?

Reactions: TheMystic

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
If I capture photos and videos using my other phones, copy them over to my Pixel and then use it to upload them to Google Photos, will I have access to unlimited storage (in storage saver quality)? I know this worked earlier. The question is if this still works?
It should work because Google only talks of files BACKED UP using Pixel devices, and there is no reference (or insistence) that photos and videos should be shot on a Pixel device.

Attachments

• Unlimited Storage.png
    Unlimited Storage.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:

roseml

Jun 11, 2018
Hi, there are two options and that is to install pixel experience rom thanks to which you get unlimited storage for photos and videos in Google Photos or you can use this LSPosed module thanks to which you can also get unlimited storage for Google Photos.
Can you confirm from your own experience that this still 100% works please for unlimited original quality upload? I have read a few reports, also on this forum, that pixelify didn't work anymore for the unlimited original upload. Also some said that it shows in the Photos app that they get the free storage, but actually their google account storage is still decreasing with every picture or video that they upload. But this was a while ago, maybe it works now. I just want to know before I go through the whole process of rooting + factory resetting my phone and installing all the software etc.

Last edited:

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Can you confirm from your own experience that this still 100% works please for unlimited original quality upload? I have read a few reports, also on this forum, that pixelify didn't work anymore for the unlimited original upload. Also some said that it shows in the Photos app that they get the free storage, but actually their google account storage is still decreasing with every picture or video that they upload. But this was a while ago, maybe it works now. I just want to know before I go through the whole process of rooting + factory resetting my phone and installing all the software etc.
I can confirm with my own experience that there are methods for unlimited original quality uploads; here's some things you need to know...
  • while Pixelify has modded things where you can get unlimited uploads, it is NOT original quality; it uses a sort of spoofing to the last device to offer unlimited uploads (Pixel 5; I actually had this device and saw the option on it), but the caveat is that it is only offered to unlimited uploads under "Storage Saver" (source) -- so pictures and videos are compressed; how compressed is in the source. From what I've seen on their Telegram, Pixelify devs don't wish to push their luck (and bring it to Google's attention by causing heavy loads on their servers) by implementing spoofing the original Pixel for the original qualityunlimited uploads. This blurred previous statement was true at the time of writing, but no longer true. The main branch of Pixelify does now offer spoofing the Pixel XL that makes it unlimited at original quality.
    • There have been many reports I've seen that complain that, even if one only applies/installs the Google Photos hack from Pixelify, it still installs a lot more to get their mod/app working that modifies a lot of the native Pixel experience; so if you use a Google Pixel, it often conflicts with much of the native experience on it.
    • This also might explain why when users install and even though they implement Pixelify, pictures and videos are still counting against -- because they have not changed the settings to "Storage Saver" and thus those photos/videos wouldn't apply.
  • There is a branch/off-shoot of Pixelify that is the LSPosed module/app called Pixelify Google Photos (or Pixelify GPhotos) by Balti/Baltiapps that throws that caution to the wind and spoof the original Pixel (spoofing just Google Photos app) so one is able to achieve unlimited original quality uploads.
    • I, and others, have witness and experienced success in this that I was able to make a 1.8GB (that big, so it would be very obvious if it had been taken up by my free 15GB) video recording that showed that it did not count against the storage.
    • Many people get confused because they used to see that "unlimited" in the storage settings space, but in the new Google Photos app (& under this spoof/mod), you simply see it on the bottom of the photo's/video's details stating "This item doesn't take up space in your account storage."
  • There was confusion before when Google had first changed showing Google Photos in Google Drive and/or had initially showed the data taken up in their Google account's free storage allotment but separated the Google Photos storage -- most likely when, under Pixels, since it was unlimited for Pixels they didn't join the two storages -- but since Google has done away with doing that and joined together for a sense of combined unity on the two affects on storage (most likely to push for advertising their Google One service for larger storage), I think it caught some people by surprise and/or misunderstanding.
But most importantly, what must be said is, most surely Google will catch on to all of this and will make implementations to put a stop to the practice; at best, they will just stop current uploads not going against regular storage, at worst they might even remove photos that have been identified as being uploaded by an OG Pixel when the phone is 7 years old now or even deactivating accounts themselves! So proceed with caution being aware of this possibility... I simultaneously use Amazon (Prime) Photos to backup my photos (in original quality) and plan to backup all my photos & videos from my Pixel 7 Pro to an external storage to prepare for this eventuality. I suggest you don't "put all your eggs in one basket", so to say...

Hope you find this informative...feel free to respond here or send a PM if you would like to know more or getting things working...

Last edited:

roseml

Jun 11, 2018
I can confirm with my own experience that there are methods for unlimited original quality uploads; here's some things you need to know...
  • while Pixelify has modded things where you can get unlimited uploads, it is NOT original quality; it uses a sort of spoofing to the last device to offer unlimited uploads (Pixel 5; I actually had this device and saw the option on it), but the caveat is that it is only offered to unlimited uploads under "Storage Saver" (source) -- so pictures and videos are compressed; how compressed is in the source. From what I've seen on their Telegram, Pixelify devs don't wish to push their luck (and bring it to Google's attention by causing heavy loads on their servers) by implementing spoofing the original Pixel for the original qualityunlimited uploads.
    • There have been many reports I've seen that complain that, even if one only applies/installs the Google Photos hack from Pixelify, it still installs a lot more to get their mod/app working that modifies a lot of the native Pixel experience; so if you use a Google Pixel, it often conflicts with much of the native experience on it.
    • This also might explain why when users install and even though they implement Pixelify, pictures and videos are still counting against -- because they have not changed the settings to "Storage Saver" and thus those photos/videos wouldn't apply.
  • There is a branch/off-shoot of Pixelify that is the LSPosed module/app called Pixelify Google Photos (or Pixelify GPhotos) by Balti/Baltiapps that throws that caution to the wind and spoof the original Pixel (spoofing just Google Photos app) so one is able to achieve unlimited original quality uploads.
    • I, and others, have witness and experienced success in this that I was able to make a 1.8GB (that big, so it would be very obvious if it had been taken up by my free 15GB) video recording that showed that it did not count against the storage.
    • Many people get confused because they used to see that "unlimited" in the storage settings space, but in the new Google Photos app (& under this spoof/mod), you simply see it on the bottom of the photo's/video's details stating "This item doesn't take up space in your account storage."
  • There was confusion before when Google had first changed showing Google Photos in Google Drive and/or had initially showed the data taken up in their Google account's free storage allotment but separated the Google Photos storage -- most likely when, under Pixels, since it was unlimited for Pixels they didn't join the two storages -- but since Google has done away with doing that and joined together for a sense of combined unity on the two affects on storage (most likely to push for advertising their Google One service for larger storage), I think it caught some people by surprise and/or misunderstanding.
But most importantly, what must be said is, most surely Google will catch on to all of this and will make implementations to put a stop to the practice; at best, they will just stop current uploads not going against regular storage, at worst they might even remove photos that have been identified as being uploaded by an OG Pixel when the phone is 7 years old now or even deactivating accounts themselves! So proceed with caution being aware of this possibility... I simultaneously use Amazon (Prime) Photos to backup my photos (in original quality) and plan to backup all my photos & videos from my Pixel 7 Pro to an external storage to prepare for this eventuality. I suggest you don't "put all your eggs in one basket", so to say...

Hope you find this informative...feel free to respond here or send a PM if you would like to know more or getting things working...
Interesting, thank you for the detailed response. The Pixelify github (the official "Kingsman44" one, not the BaltiApps "Google Photos" one) does specifically mention the ability to upload in original quality, but you need to do some extra stuff to get that working with "Zygisk" or "Riru". Did the devs make it so that it actually only works for high def anyway, not original? I actually ordered a second hand, original Pixel first gen from ebay (starting to regret that now), though I also wanted to try to make it work on my every day non-pixel phone. If google actually starts banning people for using the original upload for the first gen Pixel phones, or retroactively made all their pictures/media count against their storage allowance, they'd also catch legit Pixel users in the crosshairs. And they might open themselves up to legal action for breaking their original sales promise and punishing users for using it (though I'm sure they have a "we can do whatever we want anyway" clause). And do they actually care that much about a few thousands of users using that when their infrastructure is set up to handle billions of users?

Last edited:

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
while Pixelify has modded things where you can get unlimited uploads, it is NOT original quality; it uses a sort of spoofing to the last device to offer unlimited uploads (Pixel 5; I actually had this device and saw the option on it), but the caveat is that it is only offered to unlimited uploads under "Storage Saver" (source)
As far as I know, compression only happens when pictures are over 16 MP and videos are over 1080p (source). For most users, or for most pictures and videos, Storage Saver quality is good enough. I would personally be happy with that.

most surely Google will catch on to all of this and will make implementations to put a stop to the practice; at best, they will just stop current uploads not going against regular storage, at worst they might even remove photos that have been identified as being uploaded by an OG Pixel when the phone is 7 years old now or even deactivating accounts themselves!
I don't think they will deactivate accounts or remove the media files without warning. But I do expect them to plug this loophole/ exploit going forward.

I have heard Pixel Experience ROM and some other custom ROMs have this option built in. Is that true? Does installing one of these custom ROMs allow unlimited uploads in Storage Saver quality WITHOUT ROOT?

Attachments

• Storage Saver.jpg
    Storage Saver.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 273

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, thank you for the detailed response. The Pixelify github (the official "Kingsman44" one, not the BaltiApps "Google Photos" one) does specifically mention the ability to upload in original quality, but you need to do some extra stuff to get that working with "Zygisk" or "Riru". Did the devs make it so that it actually only works for high def anyway, not original?
It's been a while since I've kept up to date with the original Pixelify, but that had not been an option/feature about 2 months ago! I guess enough users pestered the devs about it (I myself left a post here on their XDA thread about it). I remember there was an automated response on their Telegram addressing it with the explanation that they didn't want to push it with Google as it's more believable that Pixel 5's were still uploading than the OG Pixel from '16...
It doesn't give in Github, but I am curious how to get that particular feature working with Zygisk or Riru specifically. In any case, again, I've run into a couple of cases that that module wrecks a lot of Pixel native set up (I imagine because it may be "doubling up" on code and features), so if you employ a Pixel, it may not be the best of ideas and/or you should be aware of that possible issue; I believe Pixelify is there mostly to offer the "Pixel" experience to other devices...
I actually ordered a second hand, original Pixel first gen from ebay (starting to regret that now), though I also wanted to try to make it work on my every day non-pixel phone.
That might be a good idea (and/or the idea many are having that are trying to make use of the "feature" while it's available) that many are having -- the thought being that you take photos from whatever device, manually export them to the OG Pixel, then have the Pixel "backup" or upload it to your Google Photos account from the device and it wouldn't count against your storage capacity but still be original quality and done in a legit way. I did the same thing when I had my Pixel 2 XL (and they were offering the feature) and loaded all my digital pictures from my digital camera and it's all there without using up my storage allotment.
My thinking is that Google imagines that the OG Pixel had such a limited camera hardware & capacity that anything taken from it -- even in 2023 -- wouldn't really take up much space, so they've left it as the only device to have the unlimited backup at original quality.
If google actually starts banning people for using the original upload for the first gen Pixel phones, or retroactively made all their pictures/media count against their storage allowance, they'd also catch legit Pixel users in the crosshairs. And they might open themselves up to legal action for breaking their original sales promise and punishing users for using it (though I'm sure they have a "we can do whatever we want anyway" clause). And do they actually care that much about a few thousands of users using that when their infrastructure is set up to handle billions of users?
You say that, but that's exactly what they've done from the Pixel 5...
Their advertisement and reasoning was that, because they weren't offering external storage (like the Samsungs at the time as well as other manufacturers), that if they offer unlimited storage at original quality of what usually takes up the most space on a smartphone (and also since they have their own app/service; Google Photos), it'll justify not having the option at the external storage. But while I was using the Pixel 5, they had backtracked and changed that "feature" -- which incidentally made me really question and hesitate getting a Pixel if they didn't offer it -- that from Pixel 2-5, it'll only be unlimited at Storage Saver quality and not even offered at all on the Pixel 6 or 7 (and presumably anything after). So if they retroactively changed it from the Pixel 2-5, I'm sure they wouldn't put too much of a fret for changing it to the Pixel 1; and/or I wonder how much legal liability would they have on the matter.
And although there would only be a couple of thousand users -- both legitimately using OG Pixels as a workaround and those using Pixelify -- if you think about it, how many GB and potentially TB of full quality photos and videos, after a couple of years, especially as smartphones get higher quality hardware (what is the MP of the main lens on S23 and iPhone 15?) as well as if the method spreads further and further...? I'm sure it will stress their servers a good amount that it will be flagged by the higher-ups...
As far as I know, compression only happens when pictures are over 16 MP and videos are over 1080p (source). For most users, or for most pictures and videos, Storage Saver quality is good enough. I would personally be happy with that.

I don't think they will deactivate accounts or remove the media files without warning. But I do expect them to plug this loophole/ exploit going forward.

I have heard Pixel Experience ROM and some other custom ROMs have this option built in. Is that true? Does installing one of these custom ROMs allow unlimited uploads in Storage Saver quality WITHOUT ROOT?
You're most likely right about the when the compression only happens, but if you read it literally, it just states "Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16 MP, it'll be resized...", which implies (or if literally taken) means Photos are compressed -- as in all photos are compressed -- but those that are larger than 16MP will be resized to max 16MP...
But you're reasoning is why I accepted it on the Pixel 5 (while also the Pixel 5 did not boast any impressive camera hardware or post processing skills) that most photos and videos at that quality should be acceptable -- I was more mad and miffed that they refuse the option for external storage and offered this "feature" as a compromise just to limit and take it away...!

Like I said, "at worst" would they deactivate accounts, remove photos/videos, and/or cause those to start counting -- I mean, if you think about it, it wouldn't be that hard since every digital photo has the device/camera used in the metadata, so they could just flag those under the spoof "Pixel 1" and either mark it to take up space or removed...

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
In any case, again, I've run into a couple of cases that that module wrecks a lot of Pixel native set up (I imagine because it may be "doubling up" on code and features), so if you employ a Pixel, it may not be the best of ideas and/or you should be aware of that possible issue; I believe Pixelify is there mostly to offer the "Pixel" experience to other devices.
Does it mean there is no such problems with non-Pixel devices?

I was more mad and miffed that they refuse the option for external storage and offered this "feature" as a compromise just to limit and take it away...!
External storage isn't coming on flagships for three reasons:

1. It is way slower than internal storage (although I think they should allow it to be used only for storing user files like documents and media, and block installation of apps and storing of their data).

2. This allows them to make a lot of money on their higher storage variants.

3. This also allows them to force users to buy their cloud storage plans.

every digital photo has the device/camera used in the metadata, so they could just flag those under the spoof "Pixel 1" and either mark it to take up space or removed.
This is what I explained here.

Their storage policy only talks of pictures and videos backed up using the older Pixel phones. They haven't stated anywhere that they must necessarily be shot using those devices. Until they reword this policy and then start applying it prospectively, this workaround should work as it is in compliance with the existing policy.

Any info on this?

Last edited:

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Does it mean there is no such problems with non-Pixel devices?
I imagine there are still bugs and issues on non-Pixel devices, but from the few members here on XDA that have complained, they complained that it wrecked a lot of their native Pixel settings/services/features (that were working before they applied the module).
External storage isn't coming on flagships for three reasons:

1. It is way slower than internal storage (although I think they should allow it to be used only for storing user files like documents and media, and block installation of apps and storing of their data).

2. This allows them to make a lot of money on their higher storage variants.

3. This also allows them to force users to buy their cloud storage plans.
This is very apparent; look at the timing when they reduced the unlimited to Storage Saver quality only and/or when they stopped offering it at Pixel 6 and when their Google One service launched...
I know that was my (and others I imagine) complaint was the fact that, at the time, the highest storage variant was at 256GB when competitors could run external sd's could potentially run a 1TB micro -- so it was the only proper compromise that they now went away from.
This is what I explained here.

Their storage policy only talks of pictures and videos backed up using the older Pixel phones. They haven't stated anywhere that they must necessarily be shot using those devices. Until they reword this policy and then start applying it prospectively, this workaround should work as it is in compliance with the existing policy.
This is true and an exploit I used on the Pixel 2 XL. But how likely are they going continue to believe that so many users are still using Pixel 1 in 2023...
Unfortunately I've not heard of that happening -- it is very interesting and fascinating -- but since I haven't, I have nothing to add on it. I mean, custom ROM's almost innately have root access (to a lesser or more degree that they allow to the user), but basically it's all about "spoofing" in Google Photos, which can be done inside the ROM code or applied to the Google Photos app natively since the ROM implements the app as a default in its own way....

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
@simplepinoi177

I hope I can find a brand new Pixel 5 or older model so I can use it to get unlimited storage in storage saver quality and be in compliance with their T&C.
I doubt you can find a "brand new" as those are at least 2 years and older...
A good place to look is Swappa (even endorsed here on XDA)...
It will just be a bit of a hassle to transfer all of the photos/videos on the current device to the Pixel -6, but since it's a legit use of their (Google's) device and T&C in their specific wording, it should prove beneficial. Also, as I've stated before, if you have Amazon Prime, photos (not videos) are backed up to their cloud at full original quality in an unlimited storage as well...

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke
Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)

My question is this:

I think the only patch they will do is just ending unlimited storage for all pixel phones, including the pixel first gen

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think the only patch they will do is just ending unlimited storage for all pixel phones, including the pixel first gen
I believe they will definitely patch/close the loophole, but I feel there is a sort of "false advertisement" aspect to it -- particularly with the first gen Pixel. They advertised that, because they weren't offering standard memory size nor the option for expandable memory, that they would mitigate that issue by offering unlimited storage for big memory files that is video & photo files. Then they wanted to push their Google ONE subscription service and that went out the window (look at the timing of them shutting the option down in the middle of Pixel 5 & 6 and when they launched the service). But still, the issue still stand of them not offering enough still stands from Pixel 1-5, with Pixel 1 being in the worst position of their "advertisement" of offering a reasonable workaround to the low memory options; so they had to keep it for those generations.
All in all, basically I'm thinking is that they probably have to consider all that on the legal side before make the jump to "patch"ing it up; else I imagine they'd have done it already. I'm sure once (if they haven't already) they see all these photos & videos still being uploaded supposedly by all these Pixel XL devices even though it's a near 7+ year old phone, they'll jump on patching it; but there's no way for sure to know how they'll react if they don't delete said photo/videos or suspend accounts or what not -- we don't know if there is a way to detect which photo/video files are taken from a particular hardware versus just being uploaded from a device that's spoofed....

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke
Considering you can get portable SSDs, or heck, a modern phone with an SD card or a larger internal storage, what are the actual advantages of this over storing files locally?

Google may one day decide to end their infinite image storage service, and then what?

My Galaxy S10 has 512GB of internal storage and I could, if I wanted to, expand it by another 1TB using an SD card (2TB cards are apparently being made soon).

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
{Mod edit: Quoted post has been deleted. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}
1. Can I capture photos and videos using other phones, transfer them to my Pixel, and then upload them to Google Photos for unlimited storage in "Storage Saver" quality?

As of my last knowledge, this method indeed worked for older Pixel models. You could capture media on other devices, transfer them to your Pixel, and upload them to Google Photos to enjoy the benefit of unlimited "Storage Saver" quality. However, Google's policies and services can change over time, so I recommend checking their latest terms and conditions to confirm if this workaround is still valid. Google may have made changes since then.
It was something I considered, and eventually decided buying a 3 or 4 year old Pixel (or any phone for that matter) isn't worth it.

I have a post on Google One storage (I created it for this analysis). You can check it out here.

My plan to buy a Pixel was to use it just for this unlimited storage feature. I didn't have plans to use it for anything else, so performance or features weren't an issue. Assuming that with this kind of usage, one can expect the device to last for a very long time (~10 years), it still wasn't a worthwhile investment, given the current Google One subscription plans.

Considering you can get portable SSDs, or heck, a modern phone with an SD card or a larger internal storage, what are the actual advantages of this over storing files locally?
If you're a user like me that uses multiple devices on multiple platforms, cloud storage is super convenient and a much better option (both in terms of convenience and security) than local storage. You can access your files from any device without having to carry additional items and plugging them in each time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    is this also possible on an iphone?
    absolutely not lol 😅🤣
    • while Pixelify has modded things where you can get unlimited uploads, it is NOT original quality; it uses a sort of spoofing to the last device to offer unlimited uploads (Pixel 5; I actually had this device and saw the option on it), but the caveat is that it is only offered to unlimited uploads under "Storage Saver" (source) -- so pictures and videos are compressed; how compressed is in the source. From what I've seen on their Telegram, Pixelify devs don't wish to push their luck (and bring it to Google's attention by causing heavy loads on their servers) by implementing spoofing the original Pixel for the original qualityunlimited uploads. This blurred previous statement was true at the time of writing, but no longer true. The main branch of Pixelify does now offer spoofing the Pixel XL that makes it unlimited at original quality.

If I capture photos and videos using my other phones, copy them over to my Pixel and then use it to upload them to Google Photos, will I have access to unlimited storage (in storage saver quality)? I know this worked earlier. The question is if this still works?
    It should work because Google only talks of files BACKED UP using Pixel devices, and there is no reference (or insistence) that photos and videos should be shot on a Pixel device.
    is this also possible on an iphone?
    One question: I'm using a Pixel 5 and considering switching to iOS. If, for example, for Google Photos I only logged in on my Pixel, but the rest like Drive and Gmail I simultaneously logged in on both devices - does this workaround still applies? Or by then do they consider my Google account sort of "lost its impurity" and this no longer works?
    "lost its impurity" isn't quite how that works. For unlimited photo & video backup (Pixel 5 [storage saver] or earlier [Pixel 1 doesn't have the storage saver restriction]), it has and will always be that it it will be unlimited for whatever is uploaded from the device -- if you upload it from a computer or other non-Pixel device, it won't work. It won't even work if, let's say, you took a photo from your Pixel 5, transferred it to your PC, and uploaded it to Google Photos from your PC! But it also works in reverse -- if you were to upload photos from other devices from your Pixel 5, and have Google Photos backup those photos, it wouldn't count against your storage ("unlimited").
    In the end, this illustrates the requirement and set-up that it's simply contingent on uploading from the actual Pixel device