Unlimited WiFi Tethering

Search This thread
Dec 21, 2010
Could someone with better knowledge on this assist. I cant get my phone to switch from IPv6 in APN protocol to IPv4. As soon as i try to change the protocol, i lose my data connection on the phone. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
Could someone with better knowledge on this assist. I cant get my phone to switch from IPv6 in APN protocol to IPv4. As soon as i try to change the protocol, i lose my data connection on the phone. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

What ROM you are using would be helpful.

I would suggest if you can, create a new APN with all the details of the default one but make it all ipv4

Dec 21, 2010
What ROM you are using would be helpful.

I would suggest if you can, create a new APN with all the details of the default one but make it all ipv4

I am using Chroma. I tried to create a new APN and wouldnt work. I switched to Pure Nexus, same result. Checked with a friend on t-mobile and he also had the same problem (not sure which rom he uses). Thanks.

vintasalo

Aug 9, 2015
Found a fix for my NOTE 4 5.0.1

After looking through a few forums i put two methods together and BAM

SPEC: 910T on 5.0.1 (CF AUTO ROOTED)

WIFI TETHER ROUTER SETTINGS:
1. wifi channel: 1
2. interface: wlan0
3. method: 3 HostApd
4. no firmware reload: UNCHECKED
5. drivers: nl80211
6. wifi mode: G
7. prevents standby: CHECKED
8. MTU adjust: UNCHECKED
9. HostApd Patch: CHECKED

Finally leave everything else below UNCHECKED ***EXCEPT**

10. No Disable WiFi: CHECKED

REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR APN SETTINGS CORRECT: Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
Click on your APN you setup and make sure your APN type is: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

This fixed my issue with crappy WiFi speeds

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
I am using Chroma. I tried to create a new APN and wouldnt work. I switched to Pure Nexus, same result. Checked with a friend on t-mobile and he also had the same problem (not sure which rom he uses). Thanks.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1962752

The link posted above has worked for me in the past, even on lollipop. Give that a try. Just follow the directions.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Jovys ROM has the same tethering method as I used in my ROM on the Note 2. No apn changes, and works with the native tethering app.
I wish all the other devs would adopt this method. It makes things so much easier

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
Hey guys im thinking about switching back to tmobile from verizon because of there new contracts and will probably use tethering ill get the unlimited plan but are there any phones I should avoid im on a htc one m8 so I would like the m9 I do plan on rooting it first thing anyway

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
Hey guys im thinking about switching back to tmobile from verizon because of there new contracts and will probably use tethering ill get the unlimited plan but are there any phones I should avoid im on a htc one m8 so I would like the m9 I do plan on rooting it first thing anyway
Truthfully you may want want to get some help from the tmobile m9 forums. I don't think there is a show stopper as as far as tethering on the n4 though. Just may need to use foxfi or wtr

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
I have not experience a un-rooted phone in a long time.

For un-rooted phone, if you hotspot on another Android device, does the allotment goes up?
Yes because the built in tether app registers on the device side indicating hotspot data in use regardless of the device attached.

Trebor313

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas
After looking through a few forums i put two methods together and BAM

SPEC: 910T on 5.0.1 (CF AUTO ROOTED)

WIFI TETHER ROUTER SETTINGS:
1. wifi channel: 1
2. interface: wlan0
3. method: 3 HostApd
4. no firmware reload: UNCHECKED
5. drivers: nl80211
6. wifi mode: G
7. prevents standby: CHECKED
8. MTU adjust: UNCHECKED
9. HostApd Patch: CHECKED

Finally leave everything else below UNCHECKED ***EXCEPT**

10. No Disable WiFi: CHECKED

REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR APN SETTINGS CORRECT: Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
Click on your APN you setup and make sure your APN type is: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

This fixed my issue with crappy WiFi speeds

Thank you !! these settings did the trick....

Jarnold1986

Aug 16, 2015
Hey guys,

I am on COG2 stock rom, Chain Fire rooted . I cannot get this to tether for the life of me. I never had this issue with 4.4.4.

I used the settings posted and quoted above, and cannot get my computer or any devices to connect to the internet. Sometimes it shows connected but I get no data, other times it does not broadcast a signal at all.

Anyone have any idea's?

Anyone know of any COG2 Roms that have unlimited tether?

Anyone know of a flash able file that WORKS with COG2?

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2010
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1962752

The link posted above has worked for me in the past, even on lollipop. Give that a try. Just follow the directions.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

I wish all the other devs would adopt this method. It makes things so much easier

Thanks PCRIZ. I will give it a shot.

nano303

Mar 12, 2011
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2015/0...their-phones-to-get-unlimited-tethering-data/ lol o yea. Finally. They are going to start cracking down on people that use 2TB like dude wtf. It DOES affect the network those who say otherwise its called common sense people. To much traffic will slow down data for everyone. I don't use 1GB of 5GB I get for free. I got wifi. Get wifi. No more unlimited tethering. Maybe 3 years ago when this was the shiz. It's 2015 people. Get your shiz straight

"It purifies my heavens, and makes my thoughts Pure"

AxlxA

Jun 17, 2013
Someone in the LG G3 subforum just posted that he got throttled and he has only hit 138gb... This throttling of >97% is a little hard especially if you're in a low usage area and the average user becomes the big dog

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads in the Q&A about this topic, so I'll just make a dedicated thread for it so other sections don't get too clouded.

**This will only work if you have an unlimited data plan!**
    **MUST ALSO HAVE ROOT ACCESS**

This will essentially re-route the output of data so it is not taking off of your Tethering plan, instead taking off of your main data plan.

That being said, if you do this method and you have a 5GB main data plan, don't come to this thread saying it didn't work for you.

Get an app on the Play Store called WiFi Tether Router:
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

MUST HAVE LATEST VERSION OF THE APP (v4.0.6 OR NEWER)

Keep "Always scanning" checked. Don't do what the dialog says and uncheck it.

Configure it and go down towards the bottom and hit "APN Settings". In there you will see your main APN that is used (fast.t-mobile.com).

You're going to have to make a brand new one with all of the details identical to the original, but where it says "APN Protocol", change that from ipv6 to ipv4. This step is essential to making the tethering data come off of your main data plan so you can truly use your unlimited data to your heart's content.
    Whenever you make a new APN, the Protocols are usually already at IPV4. If they are already IPV4, you are good to go.

This has been working for me with no problems for the past few days. I've used about 20GB so far in tethering alone.

If I helped, hit that thanks button.
    FYI also , don't use Internet Explorer in windows while tethered as t-mobile does check headers every so often. I'm not really sure if tmobile actually cares about the few who do unrestrict tether as the tmobile rep is the one who also showed me this method in op and about ie usage
    This is what worked for me...

b24fcc74e080bd5069a7a0fc7ae7986e.jpg
    b7c14a3c53f6ae4e27c5a2998b5fa235.jpg
    0d75fa105e59b4e1b266c2eb41538ec3.jpg
    a852fdfc1c60fa4e67d95993fad1f8ff.jpg
    73057757bfc1a0eff418c049b26ef14f.jpg
    0281a558b35b9a25eb052df33d2cea53.jpg
    bb08ccb579adfcdcf75fdbe0d6402346.jpg
    350512b1352a607ecfdd18efa4e83264.jpg
    Lets not ask for unlimited tether because all the saints in xda will throw a lightning bolt down your throat for asking because we are such thieves. ....my thing is mind your own business we want what we want if you cant help us get that then why comment on some dumb ish?....respectfully
    I have been running this for two days now, and it's working (almost) perfectly. WiFi tether router is absolutely killing my battery life and is overheating my phone. Is it possible to do this with a different app like foxfi?

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

Ditto. WiFi tether router will run through my battery in 3 hours flat. Does the job, but it's definitely a compromise.

Yea it'd do the same to me. Luckily I don't use it for very long periods at a time. I usually use it while I'm at work and my device is plugged in anyway so I don't really notice it.

I guess you gotta suffer for making your phone into a wireless network modem

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'd agree if it weren't for the built in method barely touching the battery.

I use tethering all the time, my kids tether off my phone when we're in the car or traveling since my line is unlimited. I'll have to re-read this thread and see if any of the roms have the built in working properly.

Had the same problem on my note 3. Read somewhere that the developer suggest using internal DHCP. Worked great for me, no more heat and doesn't devour my battery. Pics below.