• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Unlock and remove Android for Work (AFW) Enterprise MDM

Search This thread

agaurav

Aug 19, 2015
Dallas
I have a Pixel 4 with Android 10 on it. It also has Android for Work (Enterprise), i.e., it is managed by work admin who can remote reset the device and also control what gets installed or not. It has MobileIron MDM agent installed on it.

How can I wipe all of this Android for Work and remove the MobileIron completely? I have no personal data on it and can do factory reset and the phone is carrier unlocked as well. The OEM unlock in Developer Options is greyed out.

Last edited:
Most likely, the phone was bought from Android Enterprise, which may also mean the app is built into the firmware - loaded as specified by whatever organization ordered the device from Google. But there's a couple things we can check:
Go to Accounts under Settings, make sure there is no work profile there.
Go to Security > Device Admin apps, see if you can remove the app there.

Failing those, try a factory reset. If the MobileIron app survives factory reset, it's built into the firmware.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to get rid of it with a locked bootloader. You could try sideloading an OTA update but that may fail because the firmware won't match. You can also try the Pixel Repair Tool although I suspect that may not work for the same reason.

Let us know how it goes!

agaurav

Aug 19, 2015
Dallas
The phone is definitely Android Enterprise as I wrote above. There is work profile and MobileIron installed. Factory reset doesn't help. It always tries to want to setup as Android for Work.

I can't sideload anything I guess as it doesn't go to bootloader mode at all. I will try Pixel Repair Tool. Thanks for your suggestions.

The phone is definitely Android Enterprise as I wrote above. There is work profile and MobileIron installed. Factory reset doesn't help. It always tries to want to setup as Android for Work.

I can't sideload anything I guess as it doesn't go to bootloader mode at all. I will try Pixel Repair Tool. Thanks for your suggestions.
What do you mean it doesn't go to bootloader mode?

Are you able to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging?

agaurav

Aug 19, 2015
Dallas
My bad. I tried Pixel Repair tool. It went thru successfully but did not remove the Android for Work so I guess I am stuck with a paper weight. Nothing can be done effectively. That's fine. I will wait for black friday deals and buy a new phone. Thanks.