Unlock and root Poco F2 Pro

Search This thread

Tiemichael

May 10, 2013
What are the consequences of unlocking the bootloader?
What I have read is:
1) Factory Reset
2) 'Find Device' not working
3) 'Fingerprint unlock' not working
4) 'added value services' not working

What is the best backup method for an unrooted device? I don't want to reinstall and reconfigure everything again
Loosing 'Fingerprint unlock' is a serious issue for me. Is it confirmed? Is there any workaround ?
What are 'added value services'?
Loosing 'Fingerprint unlock' seems serious to me. Is it confirmed? Any work around?

Thanks!

tormie

Apr 9, 2011
Well, how many myths...
- As far as I know, today there is only one TWRP working, so download it
- Download the K30 PRO rom from wherever (miui.eu for example, I suggest the stable rom because the developers/Android 11 is actually buggy)
- Unlock the phone with MIUI Unlock
- in Fastboot mode you can even try the TWRP without installing it with "fastboot boot recovery.img" (or whatever you named it)
- Slap the zip with the rom on the storage of the phone
- Flash the zip using TWRP
- If you want root, reboot in recovery and flash magisk (actually if you want the developer/android 11 version you must use "magisk canary")
- If you want TWRP recovery on the phone, "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I've it here working perfectly without magic tricks.

P.S. I'm on the stable rom and EVERYTHING WORKS, that's obvious because the K30 and the POCO F2 are the same phone, so I don't know what mess have you done for having things not working.

Last edited:

rartest

Aug 28, 2020
I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

1. After fastboot boot, the phone automatically reboots right? Do you go immediately to twrp or you let it boot to system or stock rom and then restart tp go to twrp?

2. Once on twrp for the first time, after you change the language, do you wipe or format or something first? And do you need to backup at all?

3. Once you have twrp, you now reboot to system so that you can copy the rom to storage?

4. After flashing with twrp, do you need to wipe, format or something? And after that, ok to go reboot?

5. Once I have my new rom, can i still update via OTA? What's the process when I need to update?

TIA

Last edited:

paulopcf

Jun 20, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
Well, how many myths...
- As far as I know, today there is only one TWRP working, so download it
- Download the K30 PRO rom from wherever (miui.eu for example, I suggest the stable rom because the developers/Android 11 is actually buggy)
- Unlock the phone with MIUI Unlock
- in Fastboot mode you can even try the TWRP without installing it with "fastboot boot recovery.img" (or whatever you named it)
- Slap the zip with the rom on the storage of the phone
- Flash the zip using TWRP
- If you want root, reboot in recovery and flash magisk (actually if you want the developer/android 11 version you must use "magisk canary")
- If you want TWRP recovery on the phone, "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I've it here working perfectly without magic tricks.

P.S. I'm on the stable rom and EVERYTHING WORKS, that's obvious because the K30 and the POCO F2 are the same phone, so I don't know what mess have you done for having things not working.

Simple, yet great instructions.
I have only one doubt. It would be great if you or anyone else could help me.
After flashing magisk with TWRP do I need to flash any other file? Because I have read in some places that a file named "no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip" should be flashed.
Is that true?
Thanks for the help.

tormie

Apr 9, 2011
No, no other files afaik.

Anyway, there are options in magisk canary that causes an error, a continuous mount/umount of the "SD CARD" (it says like this). if it happens you're unable to write on the phone. It happens only with the Android 11 version of the firmware and with Magisk Canary, Android 10 and stable Magisk goes with no errors. At least I installed the las Android 11 version after many tries to find where was the problem, and it's only because in the Android 11 version there is the Saturn super theme that I like a lot.

I don't know if it's "host systemless" or installing magisk with another name, anyway "Magisk hide" is enough fo me, adaway works the same.

I'm using a stable android 11 version, if you swap to developer version you've to format data, so I stood with it happily.

I'm searching why if you erase system on this phone it goes bricked, but there is not the option on TWRP

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

1. After fastboot boot, the phone automatically reboots right? Do you go immediately to twrp or you let it boot to system or stock rom and then restart tp go to twrp?

2. Once on twrp for the first time, after you change the language, do you wipe or format or something first? And do you need to backup at all?

3. Once you have twrp, you now reboot to system so that you can copy the rom to storage?

4. After flashing with twrp, do you need to wipe, format or something? And after that, ok to go reboot?

5. Once I have my new rom, can i still update via OTA? What's the process when I need to update?

TIA
maybe too late but I never received the notification

fastboot boot recovery.img (or whatever you named it) cause the "boot" on this recovery image on the phone without writing it to the phone, the command to write it is "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", and this needs a reboot, with the first one you stay with the old recovery on the phone, obvioulsy it works only on unlocked devices.

When you're in recovery you can plug in the cable and the storage will be visible on the PC, so no need to reboot to system, anyway you can put the files you need on a usb key and plug it in the phone with an USB-C USB-A adapter and choose USB OTG as the source of file in TWRP

I think that if you put on a K30 rom on a POCO F2 data, you'll be not able to boot on system, anyway I never tried it, it's harmless to try. It probably won't work, so you'll go back to recovery and format data, clean dalwik, cache etc. and boot happily on a clean data.

I never received an OTA notification, so I don't know it it works or not, it depends on the way the custom twrp works, if their command are compatible with the one of the original recovey. I don't receive notifications because I hibernate the OTA program, anyway what I suggest for OTA update is to keep the original recovery on the phone and use the TWRP with the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. In any case if you modify the boot partition, for example with magisk, you loose the changes when updating, OTA or manual, so you've to reinstall it (I mean magisk), flashing it in custom recovery. So the OTA process is useless for me, I'd have to go to TWRP anyway to install magisk and later to update adaway, so I usually hibernate or stop the OTA program because I prefer to update when I've the time to do it manually.

Last edited:

rartest

Aug 28, 2020
No, no other files afaik.

Anyway, there are options in magisk canary that causes an error, a continuous mount/umount of the "SD CARD" (it says like this). if it happens you're unable to write on the phone. It happens only with the Android 11 version of the firmware and with Magisk Canary, Android 10 and stable Magisk goes with no errors. At least I installed the las Android 11 version after many tries to find where was the problem, and it's only because in the Android 11 version there is the Saturn super theme that I like a lot.

I don't know if it's "host systemless" or installing magisk with another name, anyway "Magisk hide" is enough fo me, adaway works the same.

I'm using a stable android 11 version, if you swap to developer version you've to format data, so I stood with it happily.

I'm searching why if you erase system on this phone it goes bricked, but there is not the option on TWRP

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

maybe too late but I never received the notification

I managed to unlocked my device now, but thanks for the response. I have a problem though, I used to pass the safetynet check. But just today when I used my banking app, it says that its not allowed to be used on rooted phone, so i checked magisk and did safetynet, and found out that I now have ctsprofile false. Do you know how to fix this?

tormie

Apr 9, 2011
Just use the magiskhide option. If not enough use the option to mask Magisk Manager under another name. The first one shoul be enough.

bartek1608

Oct 1, 2020
Hi, I can not cope with this magician all the time shows me that it is not installed and I have no way of entering the options in this application and I have already tried everything, could someone help me ?? thank you in advance

usmanjavid

Feb 27, 2011
multan/BHakkar/pakistan
I will able to root with magisk with twrp after unlock bootloader but whenever I restart my mobile poco got stuck in twrp with encryption password which is unknown and i haave flash back stock Fastboot rom till now root is unstable

Britch3s

Sep 10, 2016
Grayson
I used Miunlock just had to wait then I tried to install TWRP but it was for the K-30 pro and it was in Chinese which I don't read so I was kinda lost on what I was doing ended up soft bricking my phone but found videos on YouTube on how to fix(THANK GOD) So I'm just gonna wait til a proper TWRP is developed hopefully TEAM-WIN

its in english as well, all you have to do is click the language button and hit english.

Britch3s

Sep 10, 2016
Grayson
If you just want root you don't need TWRP, just an unlocked bootloader. Patch the stock boot.img with Magisk Manager, transfer it to your computer and fastboot flash the patched boot image.

when u rooted did you loose the agility to use your bank app, as well as fingerprint sensor ??

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

i flashed twrp last night did everything the guide said to do, but my phone literally wouldn boot up just keep going back to twrp. i then sat with a paper weight for about 3 hours trying everything i knew to fix this issue. i had 12.02 miui with only 2gb free ram. finally i got it fixed but i now have 12.04 miui with 3.4gb ram...and mi browser is gone which i didnt use. but anyhow, i would like to know what features ill loose access too when rooting with magisk, i.e. banking apps, fingerprint scanning, ect. i dont play pokemon go so idc about certain games.

Britch3s

Sep 10, 2016
Grayson
Hey guys! So, my phone is here :)
I planned to change the global rom to eea, so I started to unlock process, 167 hours left. Just a moment ago i found out that the rom is the eea variant which is nice. But, I don't plan to root the phone, cause I can't remember that I used it for any must have modification on my previous phone and Google will kill the Magisk method soon too.

My question is: if there's anybody with unlocked bootloader and WITHOUT any ROOT, can you use your banking app, Revolut, Curve, Google Pay or any other nfc payment app without any trouble?

on stock and flashed rom (no root) my phone worked fine with my banking app (chime) cts profile is false under safety net check now after bricking the phone into bootloop to twrp had to flash another rom, which im glad i have now considering its debloated at that. but all my stuff works as intended.

mura69

Oct 30, 2015
Maybe somebody still wants root on his stock poco f2 pro, it went very simple without twrp,just unlocked bootloader and patched boot.img with magisk app.Everything works fine, my bank app,payconiq and google pay.

Top Liked Posts