Unlock ATT M8 convert to T-Mobile?

Search This thread

Myst3ry

Jan 13, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
www.lopezfx.com
So i have tried searching, but i keep reaching dead-ends or answers that have no details what-so-ever.

Im on t-mobile, and can get an unlocked ATT M8... what would i need to do to get that m8 as close to a stock t-mobile m8 as possible? can i just bootloader unlock and then just flash a t-mobile RUU? is it safe to do that to radios aswell, or would that break it? Also, is there any way to get it so far into a t-mo m8 that it can get t-mo software updates?

also, i understand there is no aws HSPA on the att variant, but im in a refarmed area, and get good LTE coverage, so i should be fine there.

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
You may be able to run the T-Mob RUU with the proper CID and MID. But you may need to S-off as well. Relocking the bootloader is required to run any RUU, if S-on.

Unlocking the bootloader doesn't cost anything. Its Sunshine s-off that costs $25. So you might try to unlock the bootloader, root, change CID and MID, then relock the bootloader and see if the T-Mob RUU will run, before paying for Sunshine S-off.

Running the RUU will put the T-Mob radios on your device. It won't break anything. All M8's actually have the same hardware, so installing software for another version is safe. In fact, you should also gain support for T-Mob's HSPA network by flashing T-Mob's RUU.

hack14u

Nov 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
as far as I am concerned all i need to to do is...
-Unlock Bootloader (which i understand costs $25 now... anyway around that?)
-Root
-S-off
-Flash Stock T-mo RUU
-change CID to T-mo...
and thats it? in that order?

Change MID too. I did this on the M7, no reason why it won't work on the M8. Everything worked perfect including Wi-Fi calling. Unlocking bootloader is free via HTCDEV, not sure about S-Off, I did it with Firewater for free, but maybe that doesn't work anymore?

jordy787

Oct 5, 2012
Federal Way
You may be able to run the T-Mob RUU with the proper CID and MID. But you may need to S-off as well. Relocking the bootloader is required to run any RUU, if S-on.

Unlocking the bootloader doesn't cost anything. Its Sunshine s-off that costs $25. So you might try to unlock the bootloader, root, change CID and MID, then relock the bootloader and see if the T-Mob RUU will run, before paying for Sunshine S-off.

Running the RUU will put the T-Mob radios on your device. It won't break anything. All M8's actually have the same hardware, so installing software for another version is safe. In fact, you should also gain support for T-Mob's HSPA network by flashing T-Mob's RUU.
I am going to try what you said, so i just find the tmobile m8 ruu and flash it ? and also i have the red text i was going to flash the custom hboot that removes it. i have a att m8, can i flash the tmobile custom hboot?

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I am going to try what you said, so i just find the tmobile m8 ruu and flash it ? and also i have the red text i was going to flash the custom hboot that removes it. i have a att m8, can i flash the tmobile custom hboot?

Yes, both T-Mob RUU and modified hboot should be fine if you are s-off.

Reactions: scifan

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Okay thanks man , Can i get the same effect by just flashing the tmobile radio ?

You'll get the T-Mob bands by flashing the proper radio, yes. But you won't get official T-Mobile OTAs (just by flashing the radio) if that is the goal.

and if i was to convert my m8 to gpe will i be able to do that method to get the tmobile bands ? Thanks

I have to plead ignorance on that one. I believe GPE is intended to be fully compatible with AT&T's network, but is the same true for T-Mobile? If so, then yes doing the GPE conversion should give you the T-Mob bands, as well as allow you to get GPE OTAs.

jordy787

Oct 5, 2012
Federal Way
You'll get the T-Mob bands by flashing the proper radio, yes. But you won't get official T-Mobile OTAs (just by flashing the radio) if that is the goal.

I have to plead ignorance on that one. I believe GPE is intended to be fully compatible with AT&T's network, but is the same true for T-Mobile? If so, then yes doing the GPE conversion should give you the T-Mob bands, as well as allow you to get GPE OTAs.

Okay thanks for your help. I was going to sell my phone and try a g3 or one plus one. Do you think I could get away with selling it as a T-Mobile m8? If I flash the hboot,ruu ,T-Mobile ROM and all that is there any other way they could find out its originally a att model ? I know the back housing has the logo engraved but i was going to replace it with one that doesn't have that. Not just for that reason but because i also have some dents on mine.

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I was going to sell my phone and try a g3 or one plus one. Do you think I could get away with selling it as a T-Mobile m8?

Why would you do such a thing? You would also have to change the MID, CID, and it might still be linked to AT&T somehow. Seems like a lot of effort, and I don't see much reason for it. Why not just sell it as an AT&T model, since it is?

Also, changing the housing is not that easy. You might mess up the phone cosmetically and do more harm than good; unless you know you are good at such replacements. Again, seems like a lot of work for nothing.

TeckniX

Aug 7, 2007
I haven't done much rooting/flashing in a while and just got an M8 that I need to move to a Tmob RUU. Currently on the ATT RUU.
From what I gathered, I need:
- Download Latest Tmob RUU
- unlock bootloader
- Change CID (MID also?)
- relock bootload
- run Tmob RUU

Is the above correct? Will I never get OTA updates? It seems that s-off and/or root is required for CID/MID changes, is that correct?

redpoint73

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Is the above correct? Will I never get OTA updates? It seems that s-off and/or root is required for CID/MID changes, is that correct?

Once you are "fully converted" by RUU, you should get OTAs.

Not sure about needed s-off to change CID and MID, but I think you are correct that s-off is needed.

Reactions: TeckniX

TeckniX

Aug 7, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply - I managed to get s-off along with the CID and MID updated. Thankfully Firewater worked for me after the 3rd bottle :)

Now I just need to flash the stock Tmob RUU and get the proper radios, then perhaps flash one of the lightly modded Tmob RUU.
Or can I skip the 'stock Tmob' RUU and just flash something like htc_m8_1.57_DEODEXED_InstallerFix.zip and still get the radio+OTA?

mattprice86

Jun 28, 2014
Pueblo
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I haven't done much rooting/flashing in a while and just got an M8 that I need to move to a Tmob RUU. Currently on the ATT RUU.
From what I gathered, I need:
- Download Latest Tmob RUU
- unlock bootloader
- Change CID (MID also?)
- relock bootload
- run Tmob RUU

I don't think you need to relock the boot loader before you flash the ruu if you're soff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes, both T-Mob RUU and modified hboot should be fine if you are s-off.

Once you are "fully converted" by RUU, you should get OTAs.

Not sure about needed s-off to change CID and MID, but I think you are correct that s-off is needed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone