Unlock/Root/TWRP OTA updates?

Search This thread

tkdsl

XDA TV Producer / Portal Team
Jul 12, 2007
Los Angeles
www.tktechbay.com
/what is your model of the Honor 8 is it the L04 or the L09?

Also can you share what version of exposed did you use ? I have heard that 86 is not working right is that correct ?

I have unlocked my bootloader as well as rooted my Honor 8. The only way to get SU and Xposed is by doing both of these procedures(root involves getting TWRP).

As for any Xposed modules, I tried amplify+greenify but instead of getting better battery life, my standby time decreased significantly. I am not sure why, but for some reason my Cell standby was showing to be eating a ton of my battery. Another big problem was that the dialer app would not let me call anyone, it kept crashing whenever I tried to. Both problems were fixed after I managed to get amplify+greenify uninstalled. Currently I am just running YouTube AdAway and MinMinGuard which seem to work fine.

So at this point, is it worth unlocking bootleader, installing TWRP, and rooting your phone? Well if there are certain Xposed modules that you really want then sure, and if there are certain apps you like that require root, then yes go ahead and root your phone. Note that if you try any OTA updates, you will have to remove TWRP as having your phone automatically restart and try to install the update wont work.

Reactions: adriansticoid

N.W.A.99

Nov 16, 2014
Hello there,
I have already asked the same thing on the subreddit for the Honor 8, but unfortunately, no answer was given so far. So here is a copy-paste of my question.
As someone, who is genuinely interested in buying the Honor 8, there is one thing I want to know. Usually, I root every phone I lay my hands on. With the Nexii, it has been easy to flash updates using the Nexus Toolkit while being rooted, using the No-Wipe mode, which means that basically a stock image was flashed replacing all system relevant files, while leaving my files and apps as they were; at least that's what I understood. :D
As rooted devices are not able to install OTA directly, I'm doomed (kinda willingly here, but you get what I mean..) to the process of installing OTAs (which never worked on my Nexii before, which lead to the other, following option) either through adb or flashing stock images, as already mentioned.
So my question is, how does updating your device work on a rooted Honor 8? Is there also some kind of toolkit to just flash the stock image from the devs, while having a No-Wipe option? I really want to know that, since I prefer my phone to be rooted and since I don't want to have everything wiped every time I update my phone. Thanks!

Gerd3000

Aug 26, 2010
Hello.

I own a FRD-L19C432
Firmware is B120
bootloader unlocked and rooted

Some weeks ago I got an update notification for B131
Because TWRP was installed, I ignored it for a while.
Then I flashed stock recovery to do the update.
Unfortunately I flashed wrong recovery. Extraced it from FRD-L19C636B120
I did not notice my mistake and tried to do the OTA update.
Phone booted to recovery, tried to flash, stopped saying that something went wrong. Can't remeber the exact error message. I think it said to download the update again.
Phone booted back to system. Still on B120.
Since this happend the update app says that there is no newer firmware than B120. No OTA and no full package.
I realized some days later that I flashed wrong revocery. Then I flashed the correct one hoping that the update app will show B131 agian. But it didn't.
I'm glad I did't brick the phone by flashing the wrong recovery.
But how do I get the update?
I already tried to download manually via hicloud. But I cant find B131. Did they call B131 back?

chongns

Aug 1, 2011
Johor Bahru
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G
Hello.

I own a FRD-L19C432
Firmware is B120

Phone booted to recovery, tried to flash, stopped saying that something went wrong. Can't remeber the exact error message. I think it said to download the update again.
Since this happend the update app says that there is no newer firmware than B120. No OTA and no full package.
I realized some days later that I flashed wrong revocery. Then I flashed the correct one hoping that the update app will show B131 agian. But it didn't.
I already tried to download manually via hicloud. But I cant find B131. Did they call B131 back?
Did u try to clear the cache of the updater app?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

AnGr88

Dec 3, 2011
Hamm
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello.

I own a FRD-L19C432
Firmware is B120

Does flashing the stock recovery wipe all the data ?
i wanna do the same to update my phone.

Gerd3000

Aug 26, 2010

omartins

Jan 31, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So if i download the full package in update and install it, bootloader will still be open? No full wipe? And later i only need to install twrp and root the phone again?

Updating or wiping your phone does not lock the Bootloader. The only way to lock the Bootloader again is by doing it manually yourself.

Yes after doing a full update you will need to reinstall TWRP as it will be replaced with the stock recovery and then re-root your phone again.
    I have unlocked my bootloader as well as rooted my Honor 8. The only way to get SU and Xposed is by doing both of these procedures(root involves getting TWRP).

As for any Xposed modules, I tried amplify+greenify but instead of getting better battery life, my standby time decreased significantly. I am not sure why, but for some reason my Cell standby was showing to be eating a ton of my battery. Another big problem was that the dialer app would not let me call anyone, it kept crashing whenever I tried to. Both problems were fixed after I managed to get amplify+greenify uninstalled. Currently I am just running YouTube AdAway and MinMinGuard which seem to work fine.

So at this point, is it worth unlocking bootleader, installing TWRP, and rooting your phone? Well if there are certain Xposed modules that you really want then sure, and if there are certain apps you like that require root, then yes go ahead and root your phone. Note that if you try any OTA updates, you will have to remove TWRP as having your phone automatically restart and try to install the update wont work.
    I heard about a srk kit. I think u mentioned that.
    Yes I saw it posted in several Honor forums. It's a generic tool to unlock/relock bootloaders and flash recoveries.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3 using XDA Labs
    /what is your model of the Honor 8 is it the L04 or the L09?

Also can you share what version of exposed did you use ? I have heard that 86 is not working right is that correct ?