[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire HD 10 2017 (suez)

XploitOcelot

Aug 29, 2013
These are the posts I followed, thanks to folks here. Rooting and flashing a rom after a very long time.

I have a Mac, so had to setup the environment accordingly.

To ROOT
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/hd-10-2017-offline-rooting-t3734860

While following the steps here, for noobs like me "-- Type adb shell in an your terminal or command prompt. You should enter the tablet as a user."
Follow the instructions, it's long but definitely works.

To get into Fastbook and load a TWRP
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83397613&postcount=1282&nocache=1

Start from #3A

Goto OP to download [Current version: amonet-suez-v1.1.2.zip]

To flash Lineage 14
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-14-1-t3973703
Thanks for the info dude!! :good::good::good:

helgi_od

Dec 18, 2013
Move to Lineage-14.1 from Fire OS 5.6.7.0

These are the posts I followed, thanks to folks here. Rooting and flashing a rom after a very long time.

To ROOT
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/hd-10-2017-offline-rooting-t3734860
While following the steps here, for noobs like me "-- Type adb shell in an your terminal or command prompt. You should enter the tablet as a user."

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83397613&postcount=1282&nocache=1
Start from #3A

To flash Lineage 14
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-14-1-t3973703
Confirm this worked for me as well for FIreOS 5.6.8.0! Moved to Lineage 12.1 (need working camera).
Just a small tip. Don't waste your time with Windows Subsystem for Linux. Better use normal installation or live-system instead.

helgi_od

Dec 18, 2013
Move to Lineage-14.1 from Fire OS 5.6.7.0

To ROOT

Start from #3A

To flash Lineage 14
Confirm this worked for me as well for FIreOS 5.6.8.0! Moved to Lineage 12.1 (need working camera).
Just a small tip. Don't waste your time with Windows Subsystem for Linux. Better use normal installation or live-system instead.

Droid4200

Oct 19, 2019
I know this form is for 2017, but my question is hd 10 2019. No one has a root method for new firmware and we don't have an option to downgrade, a lot of us are stuck, can someone with UART/serial flashing knowledge help us out to downgrade by tapping into board and flashing older usable firmware? It would help a lot of people out.

Thank you.

pkgingo

Jan 11, 2010
Can someone please post their GPT data?
k4y0z said:
script for hd 10 7th generation
I ran the script posted in the OP but it never saved out any gpt data and now twrp has loaded and I loaded a rom but I have no other partitions. I cant authorize adb in the rom to dump the partition table properly.

TIA!

Update: I managed to finally figure it out. It looks like the lineage 14 scripts do NOT have the mkfs commands that lineage 12 does, so you must first flash lineage 12 before you can use another distribution.

Last edited:

KingLeaf

Dec 16, 2015
How? I can't retain root after reboot on 5.6.8.0.

Aug 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I need your help! I try to return back to stock, because I want to sell my Fire HD tablet.
I try to run the return script on a linux live system.
However I get two errors
./return-to-stock.sh: line 7: dos2unix: command not found
This is only for the "suez" (Amazon Fire HD10 (2017)), your device is a ""

The second line is kind of funny, because when I run adb shell getprop ro.product.name it shows me suez....
Ive installed the latest fire os update via TWRP, so there shouldnt be a problem.

Maybe you have an idea and can help me?
Thanks in advance for your help :)

Attachments

rG-

Sep 20, 2010
so i found my old fire hd 10 and decided to try this out! workes very well! GJ!

PS: i had to use the "bricked version" without step 2.sh!

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
I've been using my rooted Fire HD 10 on FireOS for months and it's been working well. However, I just got the notification that a new Magisk was available (I had been on Magisk 20.4). So I downloaded the new Magisk zip (v21.3) and went into TWRP and wiped Cache/dalvik, flashed Magisk zip, wiped Cache/dalvik again and rebooted.

It crept through the Fire "Optimising system storage and applications" screen and is stuck at the end. I tried power down & reboot, it was then just stuck on the Fire screen. I tried rebooting to TWRP and wiping caches again, but the same happens - it's now been sat on the "Optimising system storage and applications" screen for an hour.

So it would appear that Magisk 21.3 does not work with Fire HD 10 (2017) on FireOS 5.6.8.0.

Anyone got any ideas how to resolve this?

Last edited:

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
I've been using my rooted Fire HD 10 on FireOS for months and it's been working well. However, I just got the notification that a new Magisk was available (I had been on Magisk 20.4). So I downloaded the new Magisk zip (v21.3) and went into TWRP and wiped Cache/dalvik, flashed Magisk zip, wiped Cache/dalvik again and rebooted.

It crept through the Fire "Optimising system storage and applications" screen and is stuck at the end. I tried power down & reboot, it was then just stuck on the Fire screen. I tried rebooting to TWRP and wiping caches again, but the same happens - it's now been sat on the "Optimising system storage and applications" screen for an hour.

So it would appear that Magisk 21.3 does not work with Fire HD 10 (2017) on FireOS 5.6.8.0.

Anyone got any ideas how to resolve this?
I am also having problems with 21.3. (The difference is that I have a custom rom installed). I also tried 21.2 and that fails. But 21.1 does work (and 20.4).

I'm not that familiar with GitHub, but it looks like someone reported a similar problem #3636, 15 days ago on a Sony Z1C. It's about 9 down from your report on that site. Let's hope someone gets around to addressing this problem soon.

By the way, the newest Magisk Manager 8.06 seems to work fine with 20.4 or 21.1.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
I am also having problems with 21.3. (The difference is that I have a custom rom installed). I also tried 21.2 and that fails. But 21.1 does work (and 20.4).
That's interesting, I tried Magisk 21.1 but it also left me unable to boot FireOS 5.6.8.0. But I could easily enough revert back to Magisk 20.4 and it booted back up with no problems. I didn't bother trying 21.0 as I assumed it would also fail.

The Magisk Manager update works fine, just Magisk itself doesn't.

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
I am new to suez. Sorry if his is a FAQ. I got suez recently, and the firmware is 5.6.8.0. OP says that I need to downgrade (brick). This means: set suez in fastboot mode (adb reboot bootloader) and run brick.sh?
When I did it, brick seems fail and FireOS reboot. Is there newer version of brick.sh?? I have experience with douglas and karnak, but new to suez.
Thank you for your advice.

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
I am new to suez. Sorry if his is a FAQ. I got suez recently, and the firmware is 5.6.8.0. OP says that I need to downgrade (brick). This means: set suez in fastboot mode (adb reboot bootloader) and run brick.sh?
When I did it, brick seems fail and FireOS reboot. Is there newer version of brick.sh?? I have experience with douglas and karnak, but new to suez.
Thank you for your advice.
Sorry guys, this is a response to myself. I should have to search more before posting this. I found that brick.sh is no more useful (for newer firmware). We have to use Kingo Root approach instead to brick the tablet.
Thank you for your time.

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
Succeeded but need your help. By following the @ajvasudhar method. I could successfully install TWRP from FireOS 5.6.8.0. I installed LOS14.1 and reboot. But boot animation repeats endlessly. What I noticed is in TWRP /data was not mounted. I can turn off the tablet by pressing PWR button nearly 30 secs. But I cannot enter TWRP. The key sequence is VolDown+PWR?? The tablet always go into LOS14.1 animation that does not boot now. Please help.

Edit:
After root the tablet. I did ./step-1.sh to brick. Then, ./bootrom-step-minimal.sh, lastly ./fastboot-step.sh all from amonet version 1.1.2

Edit2:
Okay, I can find how to enter twrp. It is VolUP(or Dn, the key closer to PWR)+PWR. I cannot mount /data with this version of TWRP (3.2.3-O). Is there newer version for suez? With this version I always see Keep System Read only? message. And I can mount System and Cache. I cannot not mount Data.

Edit3:
Solved. I had to do Format Data partition in TWRP. After this everything is okay. Thank you for all the informative articles in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: M. Allison

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
I did the software install on a usb live xubuntu 20.4 (lte).
I setup adb on the tablet and got them connected ok.
I do now see 'serial-number device' reply to 'adb devices'.

Running step-1.sh says its using mtk-su and then pushes the 3 files okay.

error message:
Failed critical init step 4
This firmware cannot be supported

error just keeps repeating.

The tablet is Fire HD 10 2017

It's never connected to the internet.

I thought it was supposed to ask permission for the workaround for the 5.6.4.0 issue.
It didn't. I did download 'brick-suez' and 'return-to-stock' zips and unzipped them.

What should I do?

Fuzzy

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018

error message:

I thought it was supposed to ask permission for the workaround for the 5.6.4.0 issue.
It didn't. I did download 'brick-suez' and 'return-to-stock' zips and unzipped them.

What should I do?

Fuzzy
I am new to suez, just finished my TWRP job. If incorrect, more knowledgeable people might correct.

I think in your case, you need to brick your tablet first. If the 'brick.sh' works, it is simple. Otherwise, you first need to root your tablet. Be sure in this case, 'su' command in adb shell environment guide to superuser. Under this environment you can use step-1.sh guides you to brick your tablet. Once your tablet be bricked, bootrom-step.minimal.sh will guide to fastboot mode.

KingNeox

Feb 12, 2021
I need youre help please. i tried to root my fire hd 10 (2017) as it was described in the first post here. After the step

"sudo systemctl stop ModemManager
sudo systemctl disable ModemManager"

the Tablet didnt start again and now when it is connected to the computer there is only a connect and disconnect sound after 20 seconds in an endless loop. No reactions on the tablet, the screen stay black. Because it stay black i also cant acess to the recovery mode. Can i rescue my tablet with any steps?

Thanks for youre help.

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008

error message:

What should I do?

Fuzzy
Should I run brick.sh, then bootrom-minimal.sh?

I'm a little lost as I thought if it tested for > 5.6.3 and failed it would ask for
permission to do the brick and then continue the script? Instead it continues without
asking and then fails with 'critical init step 4' error message.

It appears to have pushed the 3 three files to the tablet successfully, using mtk-su.

Fuz