• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire HD 10 2017 (suez)

Search This thread

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
I did end up having to open it up. (twice) Didn't install Majisk or new ROM the first time. I re-opened it and have Linage 12.1 installed now. :) GApps failed to install for some reason. I'm going to install the fire toolbox and try to install them that way. Thanks for all of the help!
Just to help others reading this, could you say a little about the process of opening it up & ultimately installing TWRP & LineageOS.

I found LineageOS 12 to be faster & with less issues than LineageOS 14. Eventually I gave up on both of them & went back to FireOS (but rooted & with TWRP) just so I could use it as an Alexa device with hot-word detection. Am I right in thinking there is an experimental LineageOS 16 for the FireHD10 2017 (suez)?

EDIT: There is a LineageOS 16 (see here) but it seems to have quite a few unresolved issues including camera & headphones.

I think Gapps Pico or Nano are the versions to use with LineageOS.

Last edited:

Barron Arrow

Aug 15, 2017
Just to help others reading this, could you say a little about the process of opening it up & ultimately installing TWRP & LineageOS.

I found LineageOS 12 to be faster & with less issues than LineageOS 14. Eventually I gave up on both of them & went back to FireOS (but rooted & with TWRP) just so I could use it as an Alexa device with hot-word detection. Am I right in thinking there is an experimental LineageOS 16 for the FireHD10 2017 (suez)?

EDIT: There is a LineageOS 16 (see here) but it seems to have quite a few unresolved issues including camera & headphones.

I think Gapps Pico or Nano are the versions to use with LineageOS.
So far linage 12.1 has been running fairly smoothly. The only drawback is that my son is not able to us a game that requires a newer version of Android to run. I'm not sure if I should try one of the less stable OS's or stick with 12.1.

Sure thing, I'll follow this post with one containing an in-depth walkthrough.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
So far linage 12.1 has been running fairly smoothly. The only drawback is that my son is not able to us a game that requires a newer version of Android to run. I'm not sure if I should try one of the less stable OS's or stick with 12.1.

Well you may as well try Lineage14 - it worked pretty well from what I recall, only not as 'robust' as Lineage12.1. if Lineage14 is no good, you can always re-flash 12.1.

Reactions: Barron Arrow

Barron Arrow

Aug 15, 2017
TO RECAP...
I originally rooted my Amazon Fire HD 10, 2017 (Suez) model tablet using instructions that I found online here that were based on a XDA post by
Ratyre. https://github.com/3ch01c/3ch01c.github.io/blob/master/docs/how-to-setup-amazon-fire-hd10.md
They are excellent instructions with solid software download links. I was able to root my tablet but this method did not unlock the bootloader and I could not install a custom OS.

At this point I made 3 big mistakes...
1. Installed the "Original TWRP App" and tried to flash a TWRP recovery that I had found in one of the sets of instructions. I ended up damaging the "recovery" mode somehow and could no longer access it. (I could still get into fastboot by using the command "adb reboot bootloader" in Windows command prompt)

2. Next I tried following the instructions in this post and installed a Ubuntu terminal program for Windows. Somehow I ended up with two copies of "adb" embedded in Terminal. This kept giving me errors when I would try to run the "sudo ./step-1.sh" script.
adb server version (41) does not match this client (39); killing... I thought that these instructions were not working because of this error (smithbill let me know that I had inadvertently installed two copies of "adb" causing this error)

3. I installed the Majisk app through Command Prompt and ran it on the tablet. (thinking it would unlock the bootloader, doesn't work unless originally installed in TWRP) I followed the app instructions to install it and restart the tablet.
WHEN IT RESTARTED I WAS STUCK IN A BOOTLOOP WITH NO ACCESS TO RECOVERY MODE OR FASTBOOT.

THE FIX:
To fix this I had to follow the unbrick #2 instructions for the second post on this thread.

1. I downloaded a copy of Linux Mint to create duel-boot laptop. (messed my laptop up first time, Linux did not recognized installed Windows and destroyed Windows bootloader) re-installed windows and followed these instructions to create duel-boot
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

2. Opened up my tablet. (scary) Removed micro memory card. Worked thin screwdriver into the side of the cover and gave a small twist to pop it open. Worked my way around the entire tablet gently twisting until the back cover came off. Removed tape from power connection and video cable. Detached video cable by lifting up black thingy to loosen it up, and then gently pulled on the loose plastic hanging part on top of the display cable. Removed power cable by lifting up on the part that connects to the mother board. Removed all of the screws holding the mother board to the tablet. Hint: Be sure to take a picture of everything before you start to take it apart (had to order a new set of star bits that were small enough to fit into the screws. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087V5RKHN/ ) Removed the mother board by gently loosing the speaker and on/off wires and then gently loosening the two small black plastic tabs holding it in place. (I wish I had taken a picture of this)

3. Booted into Linux Mint. Opened a terminal and ran these commands:
sudo apt update
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt install python3 python3-serial adb fastboot dos2unix

Then these commands:
sudo apt-get remove modemmanager
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove modemmanager
sudo systemctl stop ModemManager.service

Next, made sure that USB cable was not attached to the motherboard. I opened a Linux terminal in previously downloaded amonet folder from the first post in this thread. (open amonet folder in file explorer, right click and then click on "Open a terminal in this folder")
Then used this command:
sudo ./bootrom-step.sh

My terminal prompt said something like "waiting for device"

Next, I used a bread bag twisty tie to short the motherboard. I stripped a little of the paper off of each end to reveal the metal inside. I gently worked one end into the memory card reader slot for my ground. Then I touched the point on the motherboard that shorts it out. (There is a picture of the proper spot on this guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/2017-fire-hd-10-unbricking-from-anti-rollback.3896616/)
I removed the short when prompted to do so and let the computer do its thing.

After it worked successfully, I followed the directions, putting the mother-board back and reconnecting the power cable and monitor ribbon. I used my finger-nail to power on the tablet, and once I saw that it was working put it back together again. (cover and all)

When it was turned on it booted into fastboot mode. I re-connected the cable and ran this script in the terminal...
sudo ./fastboot-step.sh
And my tablet rebooted into TWRP

I MADE A PRETTY BIG MISTAKE AT THIS POINT. I used TWRP to wipe tablet memory and then MISTAKENLY hit "reboot tablet" instead of pushing the back arrow and then swiping "Swipe to Factory Reset" like I was supposed to. My tablet rebooted and got stuck on the white Amazon logo. ;'P I HAD TO TAKE IT APART ALL OVER AGAIN! BOOOOO!

After taking it apart again I downloaded the 12.1 version of the XDA created operating system to my computer... https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/discontinued-rom-unlocked-suez-lineage-12-1-05-may-2020.3953677/

Then I downloaded a copy of the Magisk-v23.0.apk and renamed it Magisk-v23.0.zip.

I also downloaded a copy of GAPPS Nano from google (ARM64, 5.1, Nano) https://opengapps.org/ (Nano was the only version small enough to install on the tablet)

I put all of these downloads in a new folder on my memory card and then inserted the memory card back into my tablet.

This time when I booted into TWRP I went to WIPE>Format Data>Typed "yes" to wipe the data. THEN PUSHED BACK ARROW AND THEN "Swipe to Factory Reset"

Next I pushed the back arrow and pushed Install. I hit "Select Storage" and selected my memory card. First I selected the new 12.1 OS and swiped to install. after installing it I "Swipe to clear cash." I did the same thing with the Majisk zip and GAPPs zip.

Next I hit "Reboot" and I had a new operating system installed on the tablet. :)

I'm still able to get back into TWRP by connecting the tablet to my computer, opening the command prompt (in Windows) and typing
adb reboot recovery

Enjoy!
20210930_220232.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smithbill

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
I'm still able to get back into TWRP by connecting the tablet to my computer, opening the command prompt (in Windows) and typing
adb reboot recovery
Excellent write up - thank you for helping everyone else by cataloguing all your efforts. I think it's especially helpful to read about your mistakes along the way, as these will help others avoid making the same mistakes.

It's always a good idea to do your first reboot 'to recovery' (ie. TWRP) as sometimes just trying to reboot to system will result in the recovery being replaced by stock recovery.

And I'm pretty sure with TWRP now permanently installed on your FireHD10, you can just hold down the relevant keys on startup in order to boot into TWRP recovery (so you don't need your computer to issue 'adb reboot recovery' command).

And as you can just use the tablet & the relevant keys to reboot to recovery, you can just flash Lineage14 or 12.1 or even FireOS as required without having to resort to connecting up to a PC with adb installed. So it's always a good idea to keep a copy of the flashable zip for Lineage12.1, Lin14 and FireOS on your microSD. And you should keep a flashable TWRP on the microSD as installed TWRP can even flash TWRP itself. Also keep Gapps & Magisk on there, but remember if you flash FireOS 5.6.9.0 then you will have to use Magisk 20.4 as versions after that cause a bootloop - so a good idea to keep a copy of Magisk 20.4 on your microSD as well.

Also, the FireToolbox is useful if you use FireOS on your tablet rather than Lineage. And 'App Freezer' from Wakasoftware is great for disabling lots of Amazon junk (don't overdo it or you can cause your tablet to bootloop) - unfortunately, due to Google PlayStore changes, the version available in the PlayStore doesn't let you disable system services, but the previous version available from Wakasoftware does: http://wakasoftware.com/news/

Last edited:
Reactions: Barron Arrow

Barron Arrow

Aug 15, 2017
Excellent write up - thank you for helping everyone else by cataloguing all your efforts. I think it's especially helpful to read about your mistakes along the way, as these will help others avoid making the same mistakes.

It's always a good idea to do your first reboot 'to recovery' (ie. TWRP) as sometimes just trying to reboot to system will result in the recovery being replaced by stock recovery.

And I'm pretty sure with TWRP now permanently installed on your FireHD10, you can just hold down the relevant keys on startup in order to boot into TWRP recovery (so you don't need your computer to issue 'adb reboot recovery' command).

And as you can just use the tablet & the relevant keys to reboot to recovery, you can just flash Lineage14 or 12.1 or even FireOS as required without having to resort to connecting up to a PC with adb installed. So it's always a good idea to keep a copy of the flashable zip for Lineage12.1, Lin14 and FireOS on your microSD. And you should keep a flashable TWRP on the microSD as installed TWRP can even flash TWRP itself. Also keep Gapps & Magisk on there, but remember if you flash FireOS 5.6.9.0 then you will have to use Magisk 20.4 as versions after that cause a bootloop - so a good idea to keep a copy of Magisk 20.4 on your microSD as well.

Also, the FireToolbox is useful if you use FireOS on your tablet rather than Lineage. And 'App Freezer' from Wakasoftware is great for disabling lots of Amazon junk (don't overdo it or you can cause your tablet to bootloop) - unfortunately, due to Google PlayStore changes, the version available in the PlayStore doesn't let you disable system services, but the previous version available from Wakasoftware does: http://wakasoftware.com/news/
Thanks so much for the advice! I explored installing 14 yesterday so that my son has access to a favorite game. I ran across the "fix" page. (Faster booting, make YouTube work, etc...) Is it still necessary to install all of those 10 or so "fixes" and would I flash them all through TWRP?

Barron Arrow

Aug 15, 2017
There is a 'fix page' for LOS14?
It looks like I was mistaken, this thread is for the ford/austin

Last edited:

Barron Arrow

Aug 15, 2017

For some reason I still can't get into recovery mode using the buttons, I'm not sure how I messed that up originally

k4v7uk

Oct 19, 2021
Hi All

Im trying to unlock a Fire HD 10 2017 using the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

Im using Ubuntu 20.04 on the PC. I have installed the prerequisites. Because it has not been rooted I put mtk- su in amonet/bin. Adb debugging is turned on on the Fire. The Fire is running 5.6.9.0 so i expected this not to go smooth.

When I run step-1.sh I get

Failed critical init step 4
This firmware cannot be supported

I have been away from this stuff for a little while so im a little rusty. im hoping its something simple.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanx

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Hi All

Im trying to unlock a Fire HD 10 2017 using the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

Im using Ubuntu 20.04 on the PC. I have installed the prerequisites. Because it has not been rooted I put mtk- su in amonet/bin. Adb debugging is turned on on the Fire. The Fire is running 5.6.9.0 so i expected this not to go smooth.

I have been away from this stuff for a little while so im a little rusty. im hoping its something simple.

Thanx
You could watch a youtube video about 'opening the tablet' and then do the steps from post #2
This way you need no mtk root...

k4v7uk

Oct 19, 2021
You could watch a youtube video about 'opening the tablet' and then do the steps from post #2
This way you need no mtk root...
i would rather not tear it apart if im just doing something stupid, The Fire is working fine. Any other ideas?

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
i would rather not tear it apart if im just doing something stupid, The Fire is working fine. Any other ideas?
You can try the offline root method here:
In case you get root access, the OP should work fine, even without mtk-root.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
Hi All

Thanx
Not sure about that particular error, but @Barron Arrow had issues using Ubuntu (see post #1410 above).

Also, @Barron Arrow write up in #1424 above may be helpful.

Reactions: anon/droid

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool

There are a couple of links here that may or may not be helpful:

smartypantsuk

Oct 24, 2021
Hi All

Thanx
You need a different root method.
I've just put Lineage 12.1 on my Fire HD10 with firmware 5.6.9.0. It was straight forward with no issues but I got the same error you did.

Instead of the root method used in this post, use SuperSu instead then come back here and carry on with the rest of the process.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well you may as well try Lineage14 - it worked pretty well from what I recall, only not as 'robust' as Lineage12.1. if Lineage14 is no good, you can always re-flash 12.1.
    TO RECAP...
    I originally rooted my Amazon Fire HD 10, 2017 (Suez) model tablet using instructions that I found online here that were based on a XDA post by
    Ratyre. https://github.com/3ch01c/3ch01c.github.io/blob/master/docs/how-to-setup-amazon-fire-hd10.md
    They are excellent instructions with solid software download links. I was able to root my tablet but this method did not unlock the bootloader and I could not install a custom OS.

At this point I made 3 big mistakes...
    1. Installed the "Original TWRP App" and tried to flash a TWRP recovery that I had found in one of the sets of instructions. I ended up damaging the "recovery" mode somehow and could no longer access it. (I could still get into fastboot by using the command "adb reboot bootloader" in Windows command prompt)

2. Next I tried following the instructions in this post and installed a Ubuntu terminal program for Windows. Somehow I ended up with two copies of "adb" embedded in Terminal. This kept giving me errors when I would try to run the "sudo ./step-1.sh" script.
    adb server version (41) does not match this client (39); killing... I thought that these instructions were not working because of this error (smithbill let me know that I had inadvertently installed two copies of "adb" causing this error)

3. I installed the Majisk app through Command Prompt and ran it on the tablet. (thinking it would unlock the bootloader, doesn't work unless originally installed in TWRP) I followed the app instructions to install it and restart the tablet.
    WHEN IT RESTARTED I WAS STUCK IN A BOOTLOOP WITH NO ACCESS TO RECOVERY MODE OR FASTBOOT.

THE FIX:
    To fix this I had to follow the unbrick #2 instructions for the second post on this thread.

1. I downloaded a copy of Linux Mint to create duel-boot laptop. (messed my laptop up first time, Linux did not recognized installed Windows and destroyed Windows bootloader) re-installed windows and followed these instructions to create duel-boot
    https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

2. Opened up my tablet. (scary) Removed micro memory card. Worked thin screwdriver into the side of the cover and gave a small twist to pop it open. Worked my way around the entire tablet gently twisting until the back cover came off. Removed tape from power connection and video cable. Detached video cable by lifting up black thingy to loosen it up, and then gently pulled on the loose plastic hanging part on top of the display cable. Removed power cable by lifting up on the part that connects to the mother board. Removed all of the screws holding the mother board to the tablet. Hint: Be sure to take a picture of everything before you start to take it apart (had to order a new set of star bits that were small enough to fit into the screws. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087V5RKHN/ ) Removed the mother board by gently loosing the speaker and on/off wires and then gently loosening the two small black plastic tabs holding it in place. (I wish I had taken a picture of this)

3. Booted into Linux Mint. Opened a terminal and ran these commands:
    sudo apt update

Then these commands:
    sudo apt-get remove modemmanager
    sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove modemmanager
    sudo systemctl stop ModemManager.service

Next, made sure that USB cable was not attached to the motherboard. I opened a Linux terminal in previously downloaded amonet folder from the first post in this thread. (open amonet folder in file explorer, right click and then click on "Open a terminal in this folder")
    Then used this command:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh

My terminal prompt said something like "waiting for device"

Next, I used a bread bag twisty tie to short the motherboard. I stripped a little of the paper off of each end to reveal the metal inside. I gently worked one end into the memory card reader slot for my ground. Then I touched the point on the motherboard that shorts it out. (There is a picture of the proper spot on this guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/2017-fire-hd-10-unbricking-from-anti-rollback.3896616/)
    I removed the short when prompted to do so and let the computer do its thing.

After it worked successfully, I followed the directions, putting the mother-board back and reconnecting the power cable and monitor ribbon. I used my finger-nail to power on the tablet, and once I saw that it was working put it back together again. (cover and all)

When it was turned on it booted into fastboot mode. I re-connected the cable and ran this script in the terminal...
    sudo ./fastboot-step.sh
    And my tablet rebooted into TWRP

I MADE A PRETTY BIG MISTAKE AT THIS POINT. I used TWRP to wipe tablet memory and then MISTAKENLY hit "reboot tablet" instead of pushing the back arrow and then swiping "Swipe to Factory Reset" like I was supposed to. My tablet rebooted and got stuck on the white Amazon logo. ;'P I HAD TO TAKE IT APART ALL OVER AGAIN! BOOOOO!

After taking it apart again I downloaded the 12.1 version of the XDA created operating system to my computer... https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/discontinued-rom-unlocked-suez-lineage-12-1-05-may-2020.3953677/

Then I downloaded a copy of the Magisk-v23.0.apk and renamed it Magisk-v23.0.zip.

I also downloaded a copy of GAPPS Nano from google (ARM64, 5.1, Nano) https://opengapps.org/ (Nano was the only version small enough to install on the tablet)

I put all of these downloads in a new folder on my memory card and then inserted the memory card back into my tablet.

This time when I booted into TWRP I went to WIPE>Format Data>Typed "yes" to wipe the data. THEN PUSHED BACK ARROW AND THEN "Swipe to Factory Reset"

Next I pushed the back arrow and pushed Install. I hit "Select Storage" and selected my memory card. First I selected the new 12.1 OS and swiped to install. after installing it I "Swipe to clear cash." I did the same thing with the Majisk zip and GAPPs zip.

Next I hit "Reboot" and I had a new operating system installed on the tablet. :)

adb reboot recovery

Enjoy!
    20210930_220232.jpg
    adb reboot recovery

For some reason I still can't get into recovery mode using the buttons, I'm not sure how I messed that up originally
    Are you pressing the correct buttons?

See: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/amazon/amazon-fire-hd-10-2017/recovery-mode/
    Hi All

Thanx
    Not sure about that particular error, but @Barron Arrow had issues using Ubuntu (see post #1410 above).

Also, @Barron Arrow write up in #1424 above may be helpful.
    Read this whole guide before starting.

This is for the 7th gen Fire HD10 (suez).

Current version: amonet-suez-v1.1.2.zip

NOTE: This process does not require you to open your device, but should something go horribly wrong, be prepared to do so.

NOTE: This process will modify the partition-table (GPT) of your device.

NOTE: Your device will be reset to factory defaults (including internal storage) during this process.

What you need:
    • A Linux installation or live-system
    • A micro-USB cable

Install python3, PySerial, adb, fastboot dos2unix. For Debian/Ubuntu something like this should work:
    Code:
    sudo apt update

1. Extract the attached zip-file "amonet-suez-v1.1.2.zip" and open a terminal in that directory.

NOTE: If you are already rooted, continue with the next step, otherwise get mtk-su by @diplomatic from here and place (the unpacked binary) into amonet/bin folder

2. Enable ADB in Developer Settings

3. Start the script:
    Code:
    sudo ./step-1.sh

Your device will now reboot into recovery and perform a factory reset.

NOTE: If you are on firmware 5.6.4.0 or newer, a downgrade is necessary, this requires bricking the device temporarily. (The screen won't come on at all)
    If you chose the brick option, you don't need to run step-2.sh below:

Make sure ModemManager is disabled or uninstalled:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl stop ModemManager
    sudo systemctl disable ModemManager

After you have confirmed the bricking by typing "YES", you will need disconnect the device and run
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step-minimal.sh
    Then plug the device back in.

It will then boot into "hacked fastboot" mode.
    Then run
    Code:
    sudo ./fastboot-step.sh

NOTE: When you are back at initial setup, you can skip registration by selecting a WiFi-Network, then pressing "Cancel" and then "Not Now"
    NOTE: Make sure you re-enable ADB after Factory Reset.

4. Start the script:
    Code:
    sudo ./step-2.sh

The exploit will now be flashed and your device will reboot into TWRP.

You can now install Magisk from there.

Going back to stock

Extract the attached zip-file "amonet-suez-v1.1-return-to-stock.zip" into the same folder where you extracted "amonet-suez-v1.1.2.zip" and open a terminal in that directory.
    You can go back to stock without restoring the original partition-table, so you can go back to unlocked without wiping data.
    Just use hacked fastboot to
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery bin/recovery.img

If you want to go back completely (including restoring your GPT):
    Code:
    sudo ./return-to-stock.sh

Your device should reboot into Amazon Recovery. Use adb sideload to install stock image from there. (Make sure to use FireOS 5.6.3.0 or newer, otherwise you may brick your device)

Important information

In the new partitioning scheme your boot/recovery-images will be in boot_x/recovery_x respectively, while boot/recovery will hold the exploit.
    TWRP takes care of remapping these for you, so installing zips/images from TWRP will work as expected.

Don't flash boot/recovery images from FireOS (FlashFire, MagiskManager etc.) (If you do anyway, make sure you flash them to boot_x/recovery_x)

Should you accidentally overwrite the wrong boot, but your TWRP is still working, rebooting into TWRP will fix that automatically.

TWRP will prevent updates from overwriting LK/Preloader/TZ, so generally installing an update should work without issues (only full updates, incremental updates won't work).

For ROM developers there is still an option to overwrite these, which should only be done after thorough testing and if needed (LK should never be updated).

It is still advised to disable OTA.

Very special thanks to @xyz` for making all this possible and putting up with the countless questions I have asked, helping me finish this.
    Special thanks also to @retyre for porting the bootrom-exploit and for testing.
    Special thanks also to @diplomatic for his wonderfull mtk-su, allowing you to unlock without opening the device.
    Thanks also to @bibikalka and everyone who donated :)
    Thanks to @TheRealIntence and @b1u3m3th for confirming it also works on the 64GB model.
    Unbricking

If Recovery OR FireOS are still accessible there are other means of recovery, don't continue.

If your device shows one of the following symptoms:
    1. It doesn't show any life (screen stays dark)
    2. You see the white amazon logo, but cannot access Recovery or FireOS.

If you have a Type 1 brick, you may not have to open the device, if your device comes up in bootrom-mode (See Checking USB connection below).
    1. Make sure the device is powered off, by holding the power-button for 20+ seconds
    2. Start bootrom-step.sh
    3. Plug in USB

In all other cases you will have to open the device and partially take it apart.
    Follow this guide by @retyre until (including) step 8..
    At Step 6. you will replace
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom.sh
    with
    Code:
    sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
    Should the script stall at some point, restart it and replug the USB-cable (Shorting it again should not be necessary unless the script failed at the very beginning).

If the script succeeded, put the device back together.
    When you turn it on, it should start in hacked fastboot mode.
    You can now use
    Code:
    sudo ./fastboot-step.sh
    This will flash TWRP and reset your device to factory defaults, then reboot into TWRP.

Checking USB connection
    In lsusb the boot-rom shows up as:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 013: ID [b]0e8d:0003[/b] MediaTek Inc. MT6227 phone

If it shows up as:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 014: ID [b]0e8d:2000[/b] MediaTek Inc. MT65xx Preloader
    instead, you are in preloader-mode, try again.

dmesg lists the correct device as:
    Code:
    [ 6383.962057] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=[b]0e8d[/b], idProduct=[b]0003[/b], bcdDevice= 1.00
    Changelog
    Version 1.1.2 (26.03.2019)
    • Fix regenerating GPT from temp GPT

Version 1.1.1 (26.03.2019)
    • Fix unbricking procedure

Version 1.1 (25.03.2019)
    • Update TWRP-sources to twrp-9.0 branch
    • TWRP uses kernel compiled from source
    • Add scripts to use handshake2.py to enter fastboot/recovery

Features.

• Uses 5.6.3 LK for full compatibility with newer kernels.
    • Hacked fastboot mode lets you use all fastboot commands (flash etc).
    • Boots custom/unsigned kernel-images (no patching needed)
    • TWRP protects from downgrading PL/TZ/LK
    • For the devs: sets printk.disable_uart=0 (enables debug-output over UART).

NOTE: Hacked fastboot can be reached via TWRP.

NOTE: Hacked fastboot doesn't remap partition names, so you can easily go back to stock
    Just uploaded version 1.1.
    If you are already unlocked you can just install the zip-file from TWRP to update.

Version 1.1 (25.03.2019)
    • Update TWRP-sources to twrp-9.0 branch
    • TWRP uses kernel compiled from source
    • Add scripts to use handshake2.py to enter fastboot/recovery