[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis)

Aldaris001

Sep 3, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a fire stick 4k bought beginning of 2019 which I rooted last year successfully. Unfortunately I forgot to disable OTA so with the latest update in December, my root access was overwritten. I have tried again to use the shorting methodology but I failed so far. The stick is recognized (interestingly not in all USB ports) but the handshake fails with a weird error:

[[email protected] /home/kamakiri]# ./bootrom-step.sh
[2021-01-13 22:09:21.518029] Waiting for bootrom
[2021-01-13 22:10:54.295443] Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
[2021-01-13 22:11:06.422576] Handshake
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 501, in read
'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "main.py", line 119, in <module>
main(dev)
File "main.py", line 24, in main
load_payload(dev)
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/load_payload.py", line 45, in load_payload
dev.handshake()
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/common.py", line 97, in handshake
c = self._writeb(b'\xa0')
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/common.py", line 92, in _writeb
return self.dev.read()
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 509, in read
raise SerialException('read failed: {}'.format(e))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: read failed: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

Does someone of you have a similar experience? Is there any other chance how to get maybe into twrp and then flash the image from there?

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
Hi guys,

I have a fire stick 4k bought beginning of 2019 which I rooted last year successfully. Unfortunately I forgot to disable OTA so with the latest update in December, my root access was overwritten. I have tried again to use the shorting methodology but I failed so far. The stick is recognized (interestingly not in all USB ports) but the handshake fails with a weird error:

[[email protected] /home/kamakiri]# ./bootrom-step.sh
[2021-01-13 22:09:21.518029] Waiting for bootrom
[2021-01-13 22:10:54.295443] Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
[2021-01-13 22:11:06.422576] Handshake
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 501, in read
'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "main.py", line 119, in <module>
main(dev)
File "main.py", line 24, in main
load_payload(dev)
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/load_payload.py", line 45, in load_payload
dev.handshake()
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/common.py", line 97, in handshake
c = self._writeb(b'\xa0')
File "/home/kamakiri/modules/common.py", line 92, in _writeb
return self.dev.read()
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 509, in read
raise SerialException('read failed: {}'.format(e))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: read failed: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

Does someone of you have a similar experience? Is there any other chance how to get maybe into twrp and then flash the image from there?
This is because your not make shorting correctly.
so make sure you have short in place secured.
also check you have latest zip and its extracted to Arch linux desktop and open terminal within that folder .
sometimes we get errors sometimes we dont keep trying

DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
Paris
What are the instructions on how to put the device back together? It gets hot and I wonder if I can improve cooling by using thermal compound I place between my PC's CPU and CPU heatsink?

The foil method can short much more than needed. Are there problems with that?

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
What are the instructions on how to put the device back together?
The same way you took it apart, I don't think that needs explicit instructions.

It gets hot and I wonder if I can improve cooling by using thermal compound I place between my PC's CPU and CPU heatsink?
There should already be a thermal-pad between the CPU and the shield/heatsink.

The foil method can short much more than needed. Are there problems with that?
I don't think anyone has reported issues with that, and it's much less likely to physically damage the board.

Reactions: Kramar111

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
That OTG cable is fine :good:

Unfortunately, ADB doesn't work at all over OTG cables...
Actually, bein an electronics engineer fo over 40 years, I can honestly say that last night I cut in half 4 usb leads, 2 had the micro usb end, and I joined all the same colours to same colours, added a usb socket for power, or anything else, and a standard usb to plug into laptop, by applying a 3amp power supply, I now could jump from fireiso to windows, but what I had to do to flash the boot.img, was first use fireiso to do the first step, I then wiped everything I could see, rebooted laptop into windows, wwhile power kept me in fastboot, then I unplugged the firestick, plugged it straight back in, fastboot showed because I'd wiped everything else, I could then flash what ever I wanted (boot.img), at no time did I not use this makeshift lead. Just a heads up and a hint ;) the more devices, requires more mA, (millamps) , so to power a firestick and mini usb bluetooth keyboard (using lead, not bluetooth), it's good to have a quality 3A 5v power supply ;)

Edit: pc's usually only provide 500ma per usb socket, I set mine in windows to 2000 (2A), so it's understandable to think an otg wont work if your usb only puts out 500mA, standard windows settings :) , go to hardware settings, check each usb port's power output!

behtjes

Feb 1, 2015
My fire tv 4k doesn't show up when shorted. Serial number contains starts with G070VM129.. so it should be possible to use this method? I see the device when it's not shorted using lsusb. When shorted it doesn't show up. What's going wrong?

Edit: using this guide it worked:

It's showing a different point to short than this tutorial?

Last edited:
Reactions: stegg

Geordiepaul15

Dec 12, 2018
Hi all, I've loaded the ISO to a 4gb USB stick via Rufus and changed the boot sequence in the Lenovo BIOS.
For some reason the laptop will not boot via the USB.
What am I doing wrong or do I have other options?

I also tried running bootrom from command prompt but it said there was no associated application.

Last edited:

I_CRAFT

Dec 25, 2013
My fire tv 4k doesn't show up when shorted. Serial number contains starts with G070VM129.. so it should be possible to use this method? I see the device when it's not shorted using lsusb. When shorted it doesn't show up. What's going wrong?

I'm glad that this guide worked for you, but he used the same points that were mention in the OP.

Hi all, I've loaded the ISO to a 4gb USB stick via Rufus and changed the boot sequence in the Lenovo BIOS.
For some reason the laptop will not boot via the USB.
What am I doing wrong or do I have other options?

I also tried running bootrom from command prompt but it said there was no associated application.
I would suggest you try again to "burn" that image to this USB drive.

So time it can happen that not all files were transfered correctly, parts of the data were still inside of the write cache while ejecting.

Broken stick
Laptop can't boot from USB (I don't think so)
The image were corrupt

i_teach_it

Feb 7, 2021
How do you guys boot to TWRP with OTG and then connect to a PC?

I got a "hacked fastbook mode: (0) - xyz. k5y0z
Hi, I'm having the same problem..
I was able to finaly flash the bootloader, but now i'm stuck the flashboot step. On my screen I only see the Logo with hacked fastbook mode: (0) - xyz. k4y0z.

I tried to plugin the usb to my computer and do ./flashboot-step.sh and it just mentions waiting for any device.

Is there any other steps I need to do?

Regards,

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK
Hi, I'm having the same problem..
I was able to finaly flash the bootloader, but now i'm stuck the flashboot step. On my screen I only see the Logo with hacked fastbook mode: (0) - xyz. k4y0z.

I tried to plugin the usb to my computer and do ./flashboot-step.sh and it just mentions waiting for any device.

Is there any other steps I need to do?

Regards,
hacked fastboot screen....
Connect to your stick and inside terminal/CMD type:
sudo ./fastboot-step.sh

Your device will reboot to twrp

If not, try swapping cables/ports and running the command again.
Regards

Last edited:

Bertonumber1

May 17, 2020
Glasgow UK

You can't be shorting correctly, some SOCs differ on the board. But the exploit should still work if shorting properly.
Just make sure to use a piece of foil or thin wire and be sure it's connecting with the resistor/points securely.

Regards

i_teach_it

Feb 7, 2021
hacked fastboot screen....
Connect to your stick and inside terminal/CMD type:
sudo ./fastboot-step.sh

Your device will reboot to twrp

If not, try swapping cables/ports and running the command again.
Regards
Thanks for the suggestion.. I swapped cables and port .. I was able to do everything without a hitch.. Root, Change Mac addr. , add apps, etc.

Regards,

Last edited: