[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire TV Stick 4K (mantis)

Search This thread

The Fume

Dec 30, 2019
so reading more through this thread it seems the proper way is to unlock it before doing anything at all. then do whatever u need to after that since the bootloader remains unlocked even if you let it update at that point. am i correct here?

soolcio

Feb 26, 2007
London / Warsaw
Hello :)
I am kinda new to Fire Stick (hopefully not to android and rooting in general) and I would like to root it.
I bought my FireStick 4k about 2 years ago and since then the box has never been opened nor the stick was powered on. It put it in my drawer and I forgot about it. According to the first post my stick should be rootable (it definately has some old fw version and the serial number is VM139...)
I went through this thread (77 pages of posts) and I am still unsure if I get everything right.

Could you please guide me what to do next, I do not want it to OTA to 6.2.8.x to blow the fuses.
What are all the steps to unlock it, register it and avoid to obtain the OTA root patch.

Thank you for your help :) I would like to do it right and not break it and lose the ability to root the device.

Last edited:

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Do you think Amazon is going to temporarily disable the efuse on the future firmwares as it's on the newer update? Meaning aren't they going to re-enable with for example, the 5th os update on the interface? Or is it permanent after it's triggered? This is out of curiosity

The Fume

Dec 30, 2019
Do you think Amazon is going to temporarily disable the efuse on the future firmwares as it's on the newer update? Meaning aren't they going to re-enable with for example, the 5th os update on the interface? Or is it permanent after it's triggered? This is out of curiosity
once an efuse is blown its done. you can not go back. and i would guess that even if they release a new update and you are on an older one even if you skip over this current one to say update to like 7 (if it ever comes) it will still blow the efuse going forward.

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
once an efuse is blown its done. you can not go back. and i would guess that even if they release a new update and you are on an older one even if you skip over this current one to say update to like 7 (if it ever comes) it will still blow the efuse going forward.
So no alternatives at all then? I'm sure glad I kept my 3 4K's unlocked beforehand

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
so do these need to be setup on an account BEFORE unlocking them and installing twrp? i saw this on another website where they say you must set them up before doing so. i bought a few backups based on serial numbers (and got lucky they all were easily unlocked) and went ahead and unlocked them and installed twrp but have yet to use those i put them back in the box's in case i need them later on. but now i saw this other site saying they need to be setup first? but if i go ahead and set them up they will update then not be able to be unlocked?? hope i didnt hose 4 new ones by doing it first. thanks for any help
no, only issue may be trying to downgrade. the update doesn't relock it. i flashed 6.2.8.0 and still have total unlock and root. You can install earlier than 6.2.8.0 and still downgrade. You didnt need to set up to unlock them though.... The unlocking causes a factory reset at minimum....

The Fume

Dec 30, 2019
i meant if you update PRIOR to unlocking it only. if you updated already then you are stuck. not after unlocking

rateo

Dec 27, 2018
no, only issue may be trying to downgrade. the update doesn't relock it. i flashed 6.2.8.0 and still have total unlock and root. You can install earlier than 6.2.8.0 and still downgrade. You didnt need to set up to unlock them though.... The unlocking causes a factory reset at minimum....
yes, I unlocked and rooted out of the box and it remained that way even though it updated during first setup. Downgrade probably wouldn't be possible, but I dont need it because everything works this way

so do these need to be setup on an account BEFORE unlocking them and installing twrp? i saw this on another website where they say you must set them up before doing so. i bought a few backups based on serial numbers (and got lucky they all were easily unlocked) and went ahead and unlocked them and installed twrp but have yet to use those i put them back in the box's in case i need them later on. but now i saw this other site saying they need to be setup first? but if i go ahead and set them up they will update then not be able to be unlocked?? hope i didnt hose 4 new ones by doing it first. thanks for any help
Hey There ,

Not necessarily , if youre unlocked/rooted already you should be okay.... you can use twrp/adb to change or disable the OTA apk state. There are a few ways to get around this . download rbox prerooted 6.2.8.0 and if the OTA isnt disabled then adb shell pm disable ota immediately is probably best option.

Regards

Last edited:

emkorial

Mar 2, 2008
Hello :)
I am kinda new to Fire Stick (hopefully not to android and rooting in general) and I would like to root it.
I bought my FireStick 4k about 2 years ago and since then the box has never been opened nor the stick was powered on. It put it in my drawer and I forgot about it. According to the first post my stick should be rootable (it definately has some old fw version and the serial number is VM139...)
I went through this thread (77 pages of posts) and I am still unsure if I get everything right.

Could you please guide me what to do next, I do not want it to OTA to 6.2.8.x to blow the fuses.
What are all the steps to unlock it, register it and avoid to obtain the OTA root patch.

Thank you for your help :) I would like to do it right and not break it and lose the ability to root the device.

Take device out of box

Root it per the guide

After that you are fine. When you plug in the device it will update all the way up to the latest version but since you are already rooted, it will not blow the eFuse.

Once it is all updated you can flash whatever you want and disable updates

emkorial

Mar 2, 2008

Theoretically if we could identify the chip that has the eFuse in it, and a source to buy that chip, you could buy a new one with an intact eFuse, desolder the chip on the stick, and solder in your new one.

subhash_india

Jul 1, 2021
Yes, this is the exact process I went through.
  • New Fire Stick out of the box, never updated
  • Unlocked bootloader, installed TWRP
  • Plugged in Fire Stick, let it self update all the way to 6.2.8.0
  • Went into Developer options, enabled ADB debugging
  • Connected to Fire Stick, flashed older ROM (currently running 6.2.6.6, going to go to 6.2.7.1 soon)
Where did you buy an unlockable stick?

I will say, based on my condition and what I am experiencing I am not 100% convinced that the downgrade is completely "clean", in that some app's, even using identical versions of the apps, that caused me no visual issues pre 6.2.8.0, ARE causing me issues after the upgrade and downgrade process. So I'm not completely convinced the downgrade process is 100% "clean". But my issue could also be caused by minor hardware difference between multiple sticks, so the fact I am having symptoms is not conclusive evidence that the downgrade is not clean.
For downgrade to work correctly

Flash FM (below 6.2.8.0)+Kamakiri+Magisk+Aftv-mm(opt) and reboot

Conti93

Jun 2, 2020
Forlì
So, I have bought a new Fire TV Stick S/N G4N0VM071 etc, etc, and of course it's locked.
I mean, I didn't try unlocking it BEFORE turning it on at all, however the only thing I did was powering it on and verifying it was working, WITHOUT connecting it to internet (I stopped at the network selection screen). It said "update in progress", I guess that was a local update. Mmmh, who knows if that's what locked it or it comes already locked from the factory.

Anyway, since I had to rework a couple of tiny ass BGAs in my life:
VaNM9Fz.jpg

I was wondering if someone managed to desolder the flash and stick it on another board, would it be readable or is it encrypted?
That would be quite inconvenient, but it would work nonetheless to write the custom recovery in the flash.

Reactions: Sus_i

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
So, I have bought a new Fire TV Stick S/N G4N0VM071 etc, etc, and of course it's locked.
I mean, I didn't try unlocking it BEFORE turning it on at all, however the only thing I did was powering it on and verifying it was working, WITHOUT connecting it to internet (I stopped at the network selection screen). It said "update in progress", I guess that was a local update. Mmmh, who knows if that's what locked it or it comes already locked from the factory.

Anyway, since I had to rework a couple of tiny ass BGAs in my life:
VaNM9Fz.jpg

Can you take a detailed picture from the board with the flash removed, please?

I was wondering if someone managed to desolder the flash and stick it on another board, would it be readable or is it encrypted?

It's readable, not encrypted at all. :)

That would be quite inconvenient, but it would work nonetheless to write the custom recovery in the flash.

You may be able to do almost all steps from the OP scripts, like downgrade LK, TZ and PL images to the exploitable version, flash boot and recovery images and so on, but in order to boot the downgraded images, you need to zero out the RPMB too (take a look into the main.py from OP).

Last edited:
Reactions: Conti93

Conti93

Jun 2, 2020
Forlì
It's readable, not encrypted at all. :)

Can you take a few detailed pictures from the board with the flash removed, please?
That's good news.

Sorry, the BGA in the photo is a Sony Effio of a FPV cam 😅
aJvqj4W.jpg

The Fire TV Stick flash looks like this:
UygjU3r.jpg

The "hard" part now is finding, ideally, a ZIF socket for the flash and something that can read it, I never had a look at a "flash reader" or something similar, if it does exist.

Reactions: Sus_i

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
The Fire TV Stick flash looks like this:
Yes.
Would be great if you can take a picture from the Sticks mainboard with the flash removed. Maybe helpful sometimes, in order to trace the wiring of CLK, CMD and DAT0 on the board...
The "hard" part now is finding, ideally, a ZIF socket for the flash and something that can read it, I never had a look at a "flash reader" or something similar, if it does exist.
You can solder a few enameled copper wires to the CLK, CMD, DAT0, Vcc, VccQ and GND pads. ;)

Here is a propper tool for r/w the chip:

Some old root guide for the first gen. fireTV stick ever:
Won't work nowadays because of androids dm-verity.

Reactions: Conti93

Conti93

Jun 2, 2020
Forlì
Yes.
Would be great if you can take a picture from the Sticks mainboard with the flash removed. Maybe helpful sometimes, in order to trace the wiring of CLK, CMD and DAT0 on the board...

You can solder a few enameled copper wires to the CLK, CMD, DAT0, Vcc, VccQ and GND pads. ;)

Here is a propper tool for r/w the chip:

Some old root guide for the first gen. fireTV stick ever:
Oh! It's an e-MMC! I'm dumb. I made practically the same thing when I bricked my 3DS in 2015.
mskwBLr.png

Thanks for the info, I'll probably buy another stick and desolder the eMMC on that, I'll keep you updated :)

Conti93

Jun 2, 2020
Forlì
[...]
Wait a sec, I didn't catch that, since Mantis has Android 7 (hence dm-verity enabled?) does that mean it won't work by manually writing TWRP on the eMMC?

EDIT: Oh, you were referring only to the rooting procedure, correct? TWRP should work without major issues, right? 🤔

Last edited:

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Wait a sec, I didn't catch that, since Mantis has Android 7 (hence dm-verity enabled?) does that mean it won't work by manually writing TWRP on the eMMC?

EDIT: Oh, you were referring only to the rooting procedure, correct? TWRP should work without major issues, right? 🤔

The rooting procedure via eMMC adapter used for the first gen. fireTVstick won't work on a later android (dm-verity).

Ofc you can access the eMMC partitions, flash whatever to it, but the early stages of the bootprocess (LK) won't boot TWRP in case the bootloader is locked (it starts only factory signed images).

Only if you are able to do all unlock steps from OP (including the stuff from inside the kamakiri.zip.), only then TWRP recovery or a patched Boot.img will boot.

The biggest hurdle is obviously the downgrade of the antirollback protection a.k.a. RPMB (Replay Protected Memory Block)... without a downgrade you can't finish the unlock from OP. Take a look into the main.py to see how it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think my Vendor Partition is corrupt. I tried restore from working backup....no go.
    I tried fastboot format /vendor and got error....Formatting not supported for file system with type "View attachment 6086496

My 2018 mantis has gone bad too - probably flash memory. Could not write anything to /data or /cache

You could try mtkclient to re-write /vendor:

It needs python3.8 to run properly, so install that. See here:

Basically, mktclient wants python 3.8, so one adds another python version on Ubuntu, and then uses this command to add modules to it : "python3.8 -m pip" instead of the direct "pip" one.

Then it is missing a module too:

So the command to fix that was
    "python3.8 -m pip install pycryptodomex"

Update:
    With python3.8, here is how you build it - notice the different command from the github:
    Code:
    git clone https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
    cd mtkclient
    python3.8 -m pip install .

Then continue with the rest of github instructions.

To run the gui, do this:
    Code:
    python3.8 mtk_gui
    I‘ve plugged in an usb adapter to connect a usb dongle for a mouse.
    There‘s no other option to deactivate the countdown?
    Yes there is, use the bugged version of kamakiri, it will not give you any option for TWRP.
    I have two firestick 4K and that one, on which i‘ve unlocked bootloader wasn‘t planned to get unlocked 😅
    Is it easily possible to remove the unlock?
    It is actually fairly easy and easier is to brick your stick.

There are posts on XDA about how to do it, you'll have to use Fastboot. (I think one was written by me and one by suzi)

I have attached a version of kamakiri in which the lk has a bug. so twrp will not show you the boot menu even if you have attached an OTG. This is also a TWRP flashable zip. BUT FIRST PLEASE THINK OF WAYS TO GET INTO TWRP IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR SYSTEM (YOU CAN USE CLH OR ADB IF YOU REMOVE TWRP BOOT MENU, BUT HOW WILL YOU ACCESS THEM IF YOU ARE STUCK IN BOOTLOOP)

FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    So I did kamakiri on a dead one like the one you got. It revived the stick for a couple of weeks - then /data went bad.

I was able to read eMMC info in TWRP using the command line from the dead stick. I have an OTG cable, USB hub, and added a mouse, keyboard, and a USB stick - all 3 at once. Then in TWRP go to the Advanced/Terminal, and type away!

Use this utility:

Code:
    mmc extcsd read /dev/block/mmcblk0

The dead stick has this:
    Code:
    eMMC Pre EOL information [EXT_CSD_PRE_EOL_INFO]: 0x03

A good stick had 0x01. Reading the manual, 0x03 is the sign of the dying/dead eMMC.

Pre-EOL
    Pre EOL information is an overall status for reserved blocks on the disks.

Possible values are:

ValueSeverityMeaning
    0x00Not defined.
    0x01NormalThe disk has consumed less than 80% of its reserved blocks
    0x02WarningThe disk has consumed more than 80% of its reserved blocks
    0x03UrgentThe disk has consumed more than 90% of its reserved blocks

Thanks to @Kramar111 for suggesting me to look at this!
    To check eMMC status we can also run something like this via TWRP adb
    Code:
    adb shell
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/csd
    mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug && cat /sys/kernel/debug/mmc0/mmc0:0001/ext_csd
    Root needed (or TWRP)
    Code:
    cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/life_time
    cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/pre_eol_info

Thanks to @bibikalka for the link - https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/troubleshooting/disk-lifetime.html
    Use Titanium backup from your other stick where the app is working and restore in the one with problem.
    Props to hasobist for helping me. Thank you sir. :)
    NOTE: There have been multiple reports of devices with serial numbers containing VM190 or higher being shipped with DL-Mode disabled in BROM.
    These devices cannot be unlocked using kamakiri.
    These devices do not show up at all on USB when shorted.

After the old bootrom-exploit (amonet) we've been using for unlocking all these Fire-gadgets is closed in more recent Mediatek SOCs like the one used in the FireTV Stick 4K, @xyz` has done it again and found another bootrom-exploit.
    Together we proudly present kamakiri for the FireTV Stick 4K.

Before proceeding make sure to read and understand this entire post.

Running this exploit requires a patched linux-kernel on the PC you are using.
    We have put together a Live-ISO that already contains all prerequisites required for running kamakiri.
    You can find the current version of the ISO at:
    https://github.com/amonet-kamakiri/fireiso/releases

It can be burned to a CD or to a USB-flashdrive.

Current Version: kamakiri-mantis-v2.0.1.zip

You will need to open the device and remove the heatshield on the side without the antennas (2 square bricks).
    NOTE: It is not required to desolder or force the shield off, it is just clipped onto a frame. (The attached picture may be a bit misleading, since it also has the frame removed)

You will need something for shorting (wire, aluminum foil etc.)

1. Boot the ISO
    2. Download and extract the exploit package.
    3. Open a terminal in the kamakiri directory
    4. Run
      Code:
      ./bootrom-step.sh
    5. Short one of the points in the attached photo to ground (the cage of the shielding).
      Ideally you want to use DAT0, since that is tiny it might be easier to short the point marked CLK instead.
      It is very important that you use a piece of soft wire or aluminum foil or something similar for shorting. Don't use tweezers as that makes it incredibly easy to knock of the capacitor off the PCB and kill the board!
    6. Connect the stick to your computer (while keeping it shorted)
    7. The script should tell you to release the short and hit enter
    8. Once finished run
      Code:
      ./fastboot-step.sh
    9. Your device will now reboot into TWRP

Important information

Don't flash boot/recovery images from FireOS (FlashFire, MagiskManager etc.)

TWRP will prevent updates from overwriting LK/Preloader/TZ, so generally installing an update should work without issues (only full updates, incremental updates won't work).

For ROM developers there is still an option to overwrite these, which should only be done after thorough testing and if needed (LK should never be updated).

It is still advised to disable OTA.

thanks to @hwmod for the picture
    thanks to @Sus_i for providing an update.bin
    thanks to @zeroepoch for developing aftv2-tools

Contributors
    k4y0z, xyz`
    Source Code: https://github.com/amonet-kamakiri/
    There are three options for interacting with TWRP:
    1. A mouse via USB-OTG
    2. TWRP commandline via adb: https://twrp.me/faq/openrecoveryscript.html
    3. Via /cache/recovery/command

Example for /cache/recovery/command:
    Code:
    echo "--update_package=/path/to/zipfile" > /cache/recovery/command
    echo "--wipe_cache" >> /cache/recovery/command
    reboot recovery

Should you somehow end in a bootloop, TWRP contains a special boot menu that will be displayed when you boot the stick with an OTG-cable connected.
    It will give you 5 seconds to hit cancel and stay in TWRP or reboot into the OS otherwise.

NOTE:This will only work if the boot-exploit is still there.
    I'v just uploaded a new Version of the unlock for mantis.
    It comes with an all new TWRP (3.6.1) and an unlock method that works even for fused devices with firmware version < 6.2.8.7, no shorting needed!
    For detailed instructions check https://xdaforums.com/t/unlock-root...k-3-and-fire-tv-stick-lite-sheldon-p.4410297/ (Use mantis-zip from here, will update instructions here in a bit)
    Well that was easy! And my stick isn't on the latest version, so I'll be able to get some update URLs and make a prerooted ROM hopefully this weekend.
    Is this something that Amazon can fix with future updates? I am holding off until we have a more refined rom..

No, the only way they can fix it is with a new hardware revision.