Unlock Sim for GSM How to

Search This thread

Assamat

Aug 16, 2014
Hi,

Perhaps I have found a method to unlock the LS990.
I dont know, if this works with us carriers.
I have tried it with a non US carrier and it works for me.

Needed:

Root
Root Explorer
Shortcut Master

1. Replace the two files in /carriers/apps with the two files below with Root Explorer
2. Reboot your phone
3. Open Shortcut master and select search
4. Search for apn adn select com.andoird.settings.ApnSettings and then click Launch
5. Select on the Top Right new apn
6. Fill this form out with the apn from your provider (If you don't know the apn look it up in google)

Done
Now everything should work

Still to do:
Disable the Hand free activation from sprint - I have not found the right app now
In the GSM mode my phone shows only GSM in the status bar and not G E H or H+ - Does someone know how to change this?
Automatic selection of the apn, this can perhaps be done with the file /etc/apns-conf.xml

I hopeed I could help some people, if the unlock was succesfull please give me a feedback

This is at your own risk.
Please do it only, if you know what you do!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
Hi,

Needed:

Root
Root Explorer
Shortcut Master

1. Replace the two files in /carriers/apps with the two files below with Root Explorer
2. Reboot your phone
4. Search for apn adn select com.andoird.settings.ApnSettings and then click Launch
6. Fill this form out with the apn from your provider (If you don't know the apn look it up in google)

Done

Still to do:
Disable the Hand free activation from sprint - I have not found the right app now
In the GSM mode my phone shows only GSM in the status bar and not G E H or H+ - Does someone know how to change this?
Automatic selection of the apn, this can perhaps be done with the file /etc/apns-conf.xml

I hopeed I could help some people, if the unlock was succesfull please give me a feedback

You are best!!! Thx man.:good:

garynsa

Oct 11, 2006
Mumbai
Do we have to change the permission of those files. I am unable to get gsm signal after replacing the files. Shows a small x on top of the network bar, also the APN is not sticking.

No i didnt need to change permission. Try changing network type to gsm. Yes APN doesnt show up but i think it stays as my data started to work

Assamat

Aug 16, 2014
I could it only try on iternational carriers.
Perhaps everybody can write if the phone was used with sprint before and if it was activated.
My phone was not activated and I didn't use it with sprint.
I have done a factory reset before, so that everything was clear.

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
So how many till now has been able to unlock this? Is it on a particular firmware only? Just wanting to be sure in case I buy this. Oh And is it permanent?

lostvangel

Dec 15, 2010
Strange its not working for so many of you. It worked perfectly for me and I am still using it

I located in China. I try the sims from CMCC/CU which is the two GSM carrier here and receive the same error.

I covered the two files and set the right permission same as original files, 640 and 600. I don't know what happened. I will take another LS990 to try again.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Assamat

Aug 16, 2014
I located in China. I try the sims from CMCC/CU which is the two GSM carrier here and receive the same error.

I covered the two files and set the right permission same as original files, 640 and 600. I don't know what happened. I will take another LS990 to try again.

perhaps you can post a screenshot with the error?

I have found the app to disable the Hand Free activation:

I have uninstalled LGSetupWizard with Titanum Backup and it was gone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Needed:

Root
    Root Explorer
    Shortcut Master

2. Reboot your phone

Done

Still to do:

nmccord -

Yes unlock works. Speeds depend on which GSM carrier you are on since the G3 only supports HSPA+ speeds on AT&T and Edge on T-Mobile unless you are living in a refarmed T-Mobile area running on 1900Mhz. Otherwise you only get Edge on T-Mobile.

After a bunch of testing, I think I have the method that works properly and doesn't crash all the time. Let me put it together and I'll post it here.

so is the unlock working now? and do u get 4g speeds on us model just got my phone if so can u send me a detail setup of what to do?:)

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

So here goes -

GSM Unlock for Sprint LG G3 (Works for US GSM Carriers & International Carriers)

1. Root the device using StumpRoot - Download here http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/orig-development/root-stump-root-lg-g3-sprint-verizon-t2850906

2. Install SuperSU & Root Explorer & 920 Text Editor (or you can use Rom Tool Box for build.prop editing)

3. Copy build.prop from /system/build.prop to /sdcard

4. Open /sdcard/build.prop in 920 Text Editor

5. Edit line 268 and change ro.build.target_operator=SPR to ro.build.target_operator=spr

6. Save the file

7. Go to root explorer and copy build.prop from /sdcard to /system/ - try and delete existing build.prop and then copying the one from /sdcard instead of overwriting the existing file. I've encountered bootloops when overwriting build.prop

8. change permissions on /system/build.prop file you just copied to "rw - r - r". This is very important - when you copy and paste build.prop it loses the correct permissions and incorrect permissions will result in bootloop

9. reboot the device

10. It should now be unlocked. You will be unable to change the Network mode under "Mobile Networks" which will be grayed out so use the app "Network" from the play store to change the modem to "GSM (auto PRL)

11. In a few seconds you should see a signal. If not reboot the device once again and it should work.

12. Download "Tweakker" from the play store to get to APN settings and configure required APN settings for your carrier. After you are done with this step, you should have 3G/HSPA+ or Edge connectivity.

Note: The icons for 3G, 4G will be what sprint provides and sprint considers everything that is not EVDO/LTE to be "GSM" so you will only see GSM even if you are connected to HSPA+

I haven't found a tweak to change this but this is mostly a cosmetic issue. The other way of fixing this is to change build.prop to "global" instead of "spr" but you will encounter repeated system.buildui errors until you change the network mode to GSM from CDMA. Anytime you change the mode back to CDMA the buildui errors will reappear. You can get through the errors by disabling the radio / going into Airplane mode by holding the power button and then use the "Network" app to change your mode to GSM (Auto prl)

Both have the same result but changing it to global gives you the worldphone icons which are the usual E, H+, etc.

All this should be redundant once the bootloader unlock comes along and we can flash different roms that don't have sprint's restrictions.

nmccord -

Yes unlock works. Speeds depend on which GSM carrier you are on since the G3 only supports HSPA+ speeds on AT&T and Edge on T-Mobile unless you are living in a refarmed T-Mobile area running on 1900Mhz. Otherwise you only get Edge on T-Mobile.

After a bunch of testing, I think I have the method that works properly and doesn't crash all the time. Let me put it together and I'll post it here.
    Proper GSM Unlock LG G3 LS990 with Wi-Fi HotSpot

First off backup all data thats required from your phone.
    Restore to COMPLETE stock like its out of the box, Use this LINK
    Root the phone using STUMP
    Install Root Explorer
    Use Root Explorer only, yes its a paid app, nothing is free all the time.
    Using Root Explorer go to system/priv-app/ look for LGStartupwizard.apk, rename it to LGStartupwizard.apk.bak -> Sprint users who want the handsfree activation should not do this. Its only for those who want to use the phone for GSM and get rid of "Activate Phone" notification.
    Download attached carrier.rar and extract the folder on to your phone, same with apn-conf.rar & Unlock2.rar.
    Remember to "REPLACE" the carrier folder and "NOT" copy its content to carrier folder.
    Now copy the contents of Unlock2 folder and replace the original files from carrier/apps/ folder.
    Change permissions for carrier folder is rwxrwx-x.
    Please refer pic for the correct permissions. you need to change permissions of carrier folder only.
    attachment.php

Pop in your GSM sim and reboot to see if you are getting GSM signal . There is no APN menu but the G3 automatically detects the APN from the provider and sets it for data.
    If not Install Shortcut Master Lite
    In search field search for apn, make sure there is not space after apn while searching, Refer pic below.
    attachment.php

Select the first result as shown in pic.
    attachment.php

Select launch as shown in pic.
    attachment.php

You should get the APN menu now, Add your APN and save.
    If you still have problems with getting the GSM to work, Replace apn-conf.xml file from the download section and replace it in /etc/ folder, then delete telephony.db file from /data/data/com.android.settings.telephony/database/ , reboot. Follow the manual APN adding using ShortCut Master lite like i mentioned earlier.
    Hope this helps.
    Yeah! Working!!)))

Also - from G2 method - no need to use Shortcut master and etc! After replacing files and rebooting simply go to Settings - Roaming - APN (lowwww down) and you're there!!))

AND ALSO - to remove Sprint garbage - rename next files from folders /system/priv-app and /system/app :
    Activation.apk ==> Activation.apk.bak
    SprintExtensionProvider.apk ==> SprintExtensionProvider.apk.bak
    SprintID.apk ==> SprintID.apk.bak
    SprintTouch.apk ==> SprintTouch.apk.bak
    Zone-Sprint.apk ==> Zone-Sprint.apk.bak
    OmaDmclient.apk ==> OmaDmclient.apk.bak
    SPR_Skyfire_Observer.apk ==> SPR_Skyfire_Observer.apk.bak
    SPR_Skyfire_Toolbar.apk ==> SPR_Skyfire_Toolbar.apk.bak
    Vtt-Sprint.apk ==> Vtt-Sprint.apk.bak
    xtra_t_app.apk ==> xtra_t_app.apk.bak

perhaps you can post a screenshot with the error?

I have found the app to disable the Hand Free activation:

I have uninstalled LGSetupWizard with Titanum Backup and it was gone.