(UNLOCKED BL) ROOT Sony Xperia M2 on Android 5.1.1 [FULL-ROOT]

Search This thread

linuxct

Recognized Contributor & Social Contributor
Hello guys!

Today I'm bringing you a tutorial on how to achieve root permissions on the Xperia M2 with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. As of right now, this is only available for UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS, so those with LBL have to wait a little more until I find a suitable solution.

What do we need?
  1. Upgrade your bootloader using this guide.
  2. My ADB pack.
  3. My modded TWRP for unlocked bootloaders.
  4. Ric Disabler by my friend @AleksJ [MIRROR]

The procedure:
  • First, flash Lollipop if you didn't flash it before. Once done, upgrade your bootloader using Emma or the FTF I linked before.
    WARNING: If you updated your bootloader BEFORE FLASHING LOLLIPOP, you MUST upgrade it again since Lollipop FTF overwrites it.
  • Now, turn on the phone, go to Settings, Info. about the device, and tap 7~8 times the Compilation Number. This will un-hide the developer options. Press back button once and go inside the Dev. Options. Now turn them on if they were off, and enable USB Debbuging. Now turn off your phone.
  • Now, unzip my ADB Pack 'Herramientas-de-flasheo.zip', which contains basic ADB and Fastboot executables to a folder in your desktop. Also, copy the TWRP Recovery .img you downloaded to that folder.
  • Put your phone in Fastboot mode, this means, while pressing and holding the Vol+ button, connect the USB cable. Once the Led goes blue, stop pressing it.
  • Now, execute the following keyboard shortcut (Win+R) and type inside the Run prompt CMD. Inside the Command Prompt, using CD (change directory), navigate to the folder you created in the desktop. It'll be something like...
    Code:
    cd C:\Users\linuxct\Desktop\adbpack\
  • Now, execute the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]RECOVERY-TWRP-2.8.7.0-D230X_D240X-UPDATED-THEME[/COLOR].img
  • Once it finishes, disconnect the USB cable. Now, to enter into the recovery, press and hold the volume down button, and while you're holding it, press and hold the Power button until it vibrates. When you see the BIG Sony logo, stop holding the Vol- Button.
  • This will load Erikcas TWRP. After few seconds, it'll ask you to allow /system modifications, so slide it to allow modifications. Now navigate to Reboot, and choose System. In a moment or so it'll ask you if you want to root your device. To do that, slide again.
  • The device will reboot in a few seconds. When it's succesfully booted up, go to the App Drawer and look for 'SuperSU Installer'. Open it and hit the 'Play' button. This will open SuperSU in Google Play. Now update SuperSU.
  • When it's done updating [Don't open SuperSU yet!], unzip the Ric Disabler from AleksJ in your PC, and open the Install.bat OR Use the following Bash Script if you're on Linux, thanks to @luichi. Once it's opened, connect again your device via USB. In the M2, the script will prompt a question about USB Debbuging key. Tick the 'Remember this PC' checkbox and hit Allow. After some secs, it'll ask you for root permissions, so hit Allow.
  • In a while, when in CMD it says 'Press any key to continue', disconnect your cable and open SuperSU in your device. Now it'll ask you about updating su binary. Hit Update, and then hit on 'Normal' method.

And that's it! Enjoy your Lollipoped device with Root! :D
Don't forget to hit the thanks button and thank all people mentioned in this post too!

Last edited:

vampirian

Dec 9, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 7T Pro
Do you know if Xposed is fully working?

@KolikKitsune for me nope. i might do something wrong but its saying with the current version it doesnt work :)

Screenshot_2015_09_30_17_51_48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ladalgigi

BlazingBullets

Nov 12, 2014
WoW, nice work. Have a fully working recovery AND root now.
If you want something "simpler", you can flash a boot.img with integrated recovery instead of using the first method.

linuxct

WoW, nice work. Have a fully working recovery AND root now.
If you want something "simpler", you can flash a boot.img with integrated recovery instead of using the first method.

But then you'll need to go back to 5.1.1 kernel in order to boot the device, loosing the recovery. This recovery is permanent as it's isolated in it's own partition.

linuxct

@KolikKitsune for me nope. i might do something wrong but its saying with the current version it doesnt work :)

(img)

Guys, you need to install the experimental Xposed for Lollipop 5.1.1! The 4.x installer is not working anymore!
BUT, take this into account:
- Sony seems to have shipped some ROMs with corrupted services.odex (the embedded .dex is invalid). Those ROMs will bootloop with a "Fatal signal 6" or "No pending exception expected: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException" error, which I unfortunately cannot fix.

Reactions: ladalgigi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys!

Today I'm bringing you a tutorial on how to achieve root permissions on the Xperia M2 with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. As of right now, this is only available for UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS, so those with LBL have to wait a little more until I find a suitable solution.

What do we need?
    1. Upgrade your bootloader using this guide.
    2. My ADB pack.
    3. My modded TWRP for unlocked bootloaders.
    4. Ric Disabler by my friend @AleksJ [MIRROR]

The procedure:
    • First, flash Lollipop if you didn't flash it before. Once done, upgrade your bootloader using Emma or the FTF I linked before.
      WARNING: If you updated your bootloader BEFORE FLASHING LOLLIPOP, you MUST upgrade it again since Lollipop FTF overwrites it.
    • Now, turn on the phone, go to Settings, Info. about the device, and tap 7~8 times the Compilation Number. This will un-hide the developer options. Press back button once and go inside the Dev. Options. Now turn them on if they were off, and enable USB Debbuging. Now turn off your phone.
    • Now, unzip my ADB Pack 'Herramientas-de-flasheo.zip', which contains basic ADB and Fastboot executables to a folder in your desktop. Also, copy the TWRP Recovery .img you downloaded to that folder.
    • Put your phone in Fastboot mode, this means, while pressing and holding the Vol+ button, connect the USB cable. Once the Led goes blue, stop pressing it.
    • Now, execute the following keyboard shortcut (Win+R) and type inside the Run prompt CMD. Inside the Command Prompt, using CD (change directory), navigate to the folder you created in the desktop. It'll be something like...
      Code:
      cd C:\Users\linuxct\Desktop\adbpack\
    • Now, execute the following command:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]RECOVERY-TWRP-2.8.7.0-D230X_D240X-UPDATED-THEME[/COLOR].img
    • Once it finishes, disconnect the USB cable. Now, to enter into the recovery, press and hold the volume down button, and while you're holding it, press and hold the Power button until it vibrates. When you see the BIG Sony logo, stop holding the Vol- Button.
    • This will load Erikcas TWRP. After few seconds, it'll ask you to allow /system modifications, so slide it to allow modifications. Now navigate to Reboot, and choose System. In a moment or so it'll ask you if you want to root your device. To do that, slide again.
    • The device will reboot in a few seconds. When it's succesfully booted up, go to the App Drawer and look for 'SuperSU Installer'. Open it and hit the 'Play' button. This will open SuperSU in Google Play. Now update SuperSU.
    • When it's done updating [Don't open SuperSU yet!], unzip the Ric Disabler from AleksJ in your PC, and open the Install.bat OR Use the following Bash Script if you're on Linux, thanks to @luichi. Once it's opened, connect again your device via USB. In the M2, the script will prompt a question about USB Debbuging key. Tick the 'Remember this PC' checkbox and hit Allow. After some secs, it'll ask you for root permissions, so hit Allow.
    • In a while, when in CMD it says 'Press any key to continue', disconnect your cable and open SuperSU in your device. Now it'll ask you about updating su binary. Hit Update, and then hit on 'Normal' method.

And that's it! Enjoy your Lollipoped device with Root! :D
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button and thank all people mentioned in this post too!
    Hi! I am new to the whole rooting thing so I need few things explained. I have D2303 from Orange with locked bootloader (can unlock following steps by sony right?
    if I keep it locked and use other method to root will I keep my warranty? doubt it but had to ask) currently on 18.3.1.C.1.15, but that's all I can tell you about my phone.

I need some explanation on terms like bootloop, what is it and if I get into one if it is somehow reparable, what is flashtool, how to update bootloader (I think first step), what about the apps I have installed now? is there a way to keep them or at least keep data from them (like data from games etc.)? well basically everything required to understand post like this (I do not need it explained in book long posts just short explanation so I can proceed). If someone could post some links I should check or give me some explanations it would be great.

What I want to achieve is that I want to be able to move my games, sygic and other big apps that doesn't really require to be installed on internal memory to SD card + remove some bloatware I have from Orange, maybe in future if I'll have more time I'll start customizing the SW.

Thanks in advance, I hope I am not spamming, everyone begins somewhere.

Welcome to the community :)
    - Yes, following Sony steps unlocks the bootloader.
    - Yes, rooting with locked bootloader keeps your warranty.

- Flashtool - PC software done by few experienced members of community here. Used for flashing stock firmware (upgrading, or starting clean if something goes wrong)
    - Bootloop - When your phone is staying on the bootanimation, but never boots to homescreen. Happens when any base part of OS fails to start.
    Shouldn't happen if everything is done properly according to instructions.
    If you face one, fixing is easy, you can connect your phone to PC, wipe it clean, flash stock software and start over.
    - Updating bootloader - search for software called 'EMMA' It's official Sony's software for such manual updates. After you install it, and plug in your M2, bootloader update should be listed.
    - Keeping apps as-is increases chances of just mentioned bootloop. I would recommend creating a backup on SDcard using Titanium Backup.

Hope that helps!

Poslano s D6603 putem XDA Forums

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Oh guy, could you clearify that step (sony disable ric)for me. I follow your last step.. I open the ric disabler then there was a cmd window pop and say something somthing, then i plugin my sony m2 with usb cable but i wait for about a minute and nothing happend for me..

Your phone is not recognized.
    Try reinstalling ADB drivers.

Poslano s D6603 putem XDA Forums
    Oh my god this is gonna bring so much rant now towards Sony for Xposed incompatibility.
    While I certainly understand why people love it so much, from a ROM developer maintainer perspective, I never liked Xposed.
    Why? Because it killed majority of feature-oriented custom ROMs out there.
    Remember ParanoidAndroid, AOKP, ChameleonOS? Yeah...

@linuxct, good job today and yesterday providing FTFs, root, recovery, and all other stuff people usually cry about ;)
    Any good method for Locked Bootloader? I have the D2306 already running 5.1.1

Enviado desde mi D2306 mediante Tapatalk

Not yet. Must wait. I'm working on it

No aún, debes esperar. Estoy trabajando en ello.
    Do I need to have unlocked unlocked BL before doing this method or this method is unlocking BL?

640px-Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

This is a Root Method, not an unlocking guide! Unlock it before doing this.