Unlocked Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge from other Carriers

Search This thread

sd_N

Oct 14, 2010
Hollister
here's my reply...

Here is confirmation for anyone wonder if the Galaxy S6 unlocked from ATT or Tmoibile will work on Verizon just like the iPhones 6 6+ or Nexus 6
I have both ATT and Tmobile Galaxy S6 in hands, unlocked, inserted Verizon sim card in and there is no signal
However, when I check "About Device" it shows my phone number
Mobile Network Type: LTE
Service State: Out of Service
and LTE came up for a second and never came back on

I think they blocked the LTE bands or so to stop people unlock their phones using on another carrier

I have an unlocked T Mobile S6...just popped in an inactive Verizon sim, showed 4GLTE full bars the whole time it was in...althought the sim is an inactive prepaid sim, so of course the sim would not register. I then placed a Sprint sim in it out of an iPhone 5S, got full bars with LTE, just no registering on network because the sim is not active. I sure wish I had an active Verizon sim card to test. I'll work on that today just to test. My LTE was on the whole time...it never went off. I know this is an older thread but I still want to try it out. Current location is Paducah. All 4 carriers have very strong signal in this area.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

Any other people confirm non Verizon s6 working on Verizon?

I have to go get an active Verizon sim to find out. All the ones I have are inactive. Pulls up the 4G LTE...just wont register. I tried calling 611...the signal then went to 4G. I tried sending a text, it jumped to just G then message not sent error. The sim isnt active so those are standard messages for that. I'll let you all know what i find out tomorrow.

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
I have an unlocked T Mobile S6...just popped in an inactive Verizon sim, showed 4GLTE full bars the whole time it was in...althought the sim is an inactive prepaid sim, so of course the sim would not register. I then placed a Sprint sim in it out of an iPhone 5S, got full bars with LTE, just no registering on network because the sim is not active. I sure wish I had an active Verizon sim card to test. I'll work on that today just to test. My LTE was on the whole time...it never went off. I know this is an older thread but I still want to try it out. Current location is Paducah. All 4 carriers have very strong signal in this area.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

I have to go get an active Verizon sim to find out. All the ones I have are inactive. Pulls up the 4G LTE...just wont register. I tried calling 611...the signal then went to 4G. I tried sending a text, it jumped to just G then message not sent error. The sim isnt active so those are standard messages for that. I'll let you all know what i find out tomorrow.

Keep me posted.Thanks;)

Sent from my SM-N915V using XDA Free mobile app

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing

Anything?

sd_N

Oct 14, 2010
Hollister
things have changed.

Anything?

I didnt find an active Verizon sim... Hopefully someone else can test. I sold the phone, so I'm moving. The OP said he put a sim in and 4g lte popped up and was gone and never came back. Not the case on my end... It showed 4gLTE the whole time as I previously stated. And I guess I should say, the sim was an active sim, just the billing cycle had ended and I had not re-upped the prepaid sim. So, IDK

lmazon86

Mar 12, 2011
Unlocked at&t galaxy s6 on verizon. Data only works

I didnt find an active Verizon sim... Hopefully someone else can test. I sold the phone, so I'm moving. The OP said he put a sim in and 4g lte popped up and was gone and never came back. Not the case on my end... It showed 4gLTE the whole time as I previously stated. And I guess I should say, the sim was an active sim, just the billing cycle had ended and I had not re-upped the prepaid sim. So, IDK

I have tried a tracfone sim on the galaxy s6 as my service was ending with metro pcs and wanted to try net10 but came across a deal on a tracfone sim with service for verizon.
The sim works fine on a unlocked iphone 6 and even says verizon on the top bar with both data and calls working.
But in the galaxy s6 when I put the sim in I don't get call/text service but I do get data.
All I did was put the verizon apn settings and I instantly received Lte . In my area in Chicago both metro and Tmobile both have terrible download speeds and won't even hit 1mbps download speeds. But with this Sim I get about 5 mbps download speeds but again calls and text don't work.

The galaxy s6 has a secret menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and by clicking on device info it seems like you can change your preferred network.
I have changed it to both wcdma and CDMA and when switching to wcdma I get signal bars but lost data and still can't make calls or send text. Data works fine if phone is left on Lte/GSM or just Lte only.
If someone can help. I have taken screen shots of the verizon apns working and I even did a speed test on a unlocked at&t Galaxy s6

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
I have tried a tracfone sim on the galaxy s6 as my service was ending with metro pcs and wanted to try net10 but came across a deal on a tracfone sim with service for verizon.
The sim works fine on a unlocked iphone 6 and even says verizon on the top bar with both data and calls working.
But in the galaxy s6 when I put the sim in I don't get call/text service but I do get data.
All I did was put the verizon apn settings and I instantly received Lte . In my area in Chicago both metro and Tmobile both have terrible download speeds and won't even hit 1mbps download speeds. But with this Sim I get about 5 mbps download speeds but again calls and text don't work.

The galaxy s6 has a secret menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and by clicking on device info it seems like you can change your preferred network.
I have changed it to both wcdma and CDMA and when switching to wcdma I get signal bars but lost data and still can't make calls or send text. Data works fine if phone is left on Lte/GSM or just Lte only.
If someone can help. I have taken screen shots of the verizon apns working and I even did a speed test on a unlocked at&t Galaxy s6

This is good news. All iPhones are made the same so I knew am AT&T iPhone works on Verizon. Ill try to get a tmobile s6 edge plus and fool around with it. I sill have unlimited data so the call and texts not working won't bother me.

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
Ok I finally got my hands on a rent a center t mobile note 4. Disabled rent a center lock and returned to stock. Verizon 4g works, but it does not connect to voice and text. We need someone to work on this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

mademan420

Feb 22, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Ok I finally got my hands on a rent a center t mobile note 4. Disabled rent a center lock and returned to stock. Verizon 4g works, but it does not connect to voice and text. We need someone to work on this.

My guess is its missing the cdma antenna is the reason you cant call or text. All vzw phones still require a CDMA antenna for voice and text. You could maybe enable VoLTE if you have access to the online account associated with the sim card for calls but probably wont work for text.

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
My guess is its missing the cdma antenna is the reason you cant call or text. All vzw phones still require a CDMA antenna for voice and text. You could maybe enable VoLTE if you have access to the online account associated with the sim card for calls but probably wont work for text.

All of them have the same antenna. I checked a while back and compared all the specifications

mademan420

Feb 22, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
All of them have the same antenna. I checked a while back and compared all the specifications

Don't no where you saw that, but they do not all have the same radios/antennas.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=4573,4580

The GSM variant(tmobile, AT&T, international) does not have the CDMA 850 / 1900 radios in it. This is the entire backbone on Verizon's network. WCDMA is not the same.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=104

Last edited:

gcuevas97

Oct 15, 2015
I have an s6 edge originally from Bluegrass Cellular but all of a sudden the cell phone quit reading the sim card, but will still read a Verizon Wireless Sim card, anyone have a possible answer to such issue?

thisisbose

Oct 15, 2015
I heard today that Samsung S6 Verizon Unlocked (from Best Buy) can be used with any carriers (including ATT and TMobile in USA) across 205 countries. Courtesy: Samsung representative inside BestBuy.

telveer

Dec 10, 2008
Verizon blocks some apps (GOOD for Enterprise, Tethering, etc) on unlimited data plan when you use their own device (like VZW Galaxy S5). However, no such restrictions are in place when using Nexus 6/6P/5X on VZW. I would love to have a Generic Galaxy S6 or Note 5 activated on VZW

Last edited:

BoJatey

Apr 16, 2012
Ortonville
Sorry, posted and can't delete. In reference to a G920T working on Verizon. Now I know it won't.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint and Verizon uses CDMA while AT&T and T-Mobile uses GSM. So trying to use an unlocked S6 for Verizon won't work since unlocked versions are usually GSM. So nope.

Problem is Verizon whitelists all IMEIs for phones that they'll "support." Even if you get it working, it 1) doesn't have CDMA, so you can't make calls unless you're strictly in VoLTE areas, and 2) you won't be able to make any plan changes or get a M2M discount since the phone would be a "Non-VZW Device."

Right, that's been my speculation for a while, but i have no inside info. Whitelisting every device would be a major PITA though...unless they bulk-whitelist then using data from the manufacturers. ..that also doesnt explain why people report being able to bring an iphone 6 or a nexus 6 over from other nwtworks (not sure if rhey have only gotten lte working and not the cdma part)

I do know the cdma functionality wouldn't be available, but tthe discussion was more along the lines of why it attached to lte ans then nothing.
    The strange part is that both OP and I saw LTE eveb if for a split second. ..i would expect N attach reject if it's due to the Whitelisting.

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Oh yeah? Well then, how do you explain how come my Verizon S5 didn't work on T-Mobile when we tried it, huh?

The most likely reason is that you did something wrong. I have personally used verizon s3, verizon s4 and htc rezound in tmobile and other gsm networks. (I will test my s6 soon for t-mobile and cricket)
    it's well known that most verizon lte phones are unlocked and have gsm functionality.
    My most logical guess is that you didn't set up something like the APN.

Your anecdotal experience does not a rule make. (most common fallacy i see in real life: it didnt work for me so it doesnt work!)
    It won't work. Only Nexus, Moto XPE and iPhone work.

Not true. I am holding a sim unlocked Sprint S6 working on Verizon. The phone must be properly sim unlocked. I'm still working on getting data working right but if you use frequencycheck you can clearly see they have some compatible bands. Talk and text are working. I believe it's running on lte band 4 but i havent installed Lte discovery yet to check
    Mostly correct except root does not necessarily depend on unlocked bootloader, which you somewhat implied by the end of your statement.
    My guess is the AT&T and T-Mobile variants don't have CDMA radios.

Well, when carriers started putting up powers that supported LTE, the phone manufacturers were releasing phones that supported CDMA and LTE because LTE wasn't widespread enough to get an LTE signal. CDMA technology will eventually be replaced by LTE. Qualcomm owns all the parents for CDMA, so whenever anyone makes a call using CDMA, QCOM collects their revenue checks, which used to represent 51% of total revenues. It's cheaper for the carriers to run LTE because QCOM doesn't own the entire technology and they won't have to pay the royalties to QCOM for using their technology (kind of like using H.265 vs VP9 for 4K video compression. Royalties using the older H.265 compression maxed out at $5 million a year. H. 265 maxes out at $25 million vs Google's VP9 free open-source technology for video compression.

Once enough towers are up that support LTE, handsets won't come with the availability to use CDMA technology anymore. Next thing we'll see are cable providers putting up hotspot all around the city (I've already seen it with Comcast, but this could really hurt the phone companies since people won't even be using LTE anymore, just like when people had to use much slower data connections in rural areas on their cell phones because they didn't have towers. VOIP will also hurt the carriers.

So, to answer that, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't built to support CDMA anymore. These balloons that just started being launched by Google to provide Internet access to everyone in the world will be interesting to see how functional it is. It would be nice top have a high speed connection anywhere in the world.
    Verizon SIM in a T-Mobile S6 = LTE on Band 4 and Band 2 if available. No Band 13 hardware front-end support.

Tried this myself, Verizon seems to slowly getting away from whitelisting IMEI strategy on LTE only devices.

Now, if you really want to hit the jackpot, get a Canadian variant. It has support for Band 12, 13, 17, 2, 4, 5. You won't get voice support on Verizon since no CDMA radios and no VoLTE in that ROM, but you do get a total LTE interoperability between operators, and an awesome ServiceMode access.

Just my 2¢