Question Unlocked, installed TWRP, rooted, but cannot proceed further [Solved]

Search This thread

linamus

Dec 7, 2012
Steps taken:
Device is rooted, TWRP works, but I cannot proceed further. When adding Magisk modules it says device is read-only. When trying to install packages from TWRP it says unable to mount system. Attempts to perform any google-recommended TWRP file system fixes result in TWRP throwing "device is busy" error. Tried both with/without password/pin, and TWRP always decrypts successfully.

Ideas?

GodKingKnight

May 7, 2012
Xiaomi 12S Ultra
Red Magic 8 pro
Steps taken:
Device is rooted, TWRP works, but I cannot proceed further. When adding Magisk modules it says device is read-only. When trying to install packages from TWRP it says unable to mount system. Attempts to perform any google-recommended TWRP file system fixes result in TWRP throwing "device is busy" error. Tried both with/without password/pin, and TWRP always decrypts successfully.

Ideas?
Remove device password temperature.

linamus

Dec 7, 2012
I did note that I've tried with and without the pin. Unless you mean something else?

wching02

linamus

Dec 7, 2012
Okay, solved, sort of.

What I've learned through my reinstalls and other trials is that MIUI will occupy ALL the available system allocated space. This prevents any of the GAPP zips to be installed through TWRP. But turns out MIUI already has GAPPS functionality built in, so all you need is to download a play store app and install the rest from there.
System is supposed to be unreachable, that's why Magisk has been "system-less" for a while. The linked SafetyNet fix (https://xdaforums.com/t/miui-13-0-7-rooting-xiaomi-12s-ultra-via-magisk.4476901/) is apparently very old and didn't work on my current Magisk.

Anyway, no more issues currently, other than currently unknown status if my device can pass safetynet out of the box.

Nabicook

Jul 26, 2022
South Korea
Okay, solved, sort of.

What I've learned through my reinstalls and other trials is that MIUI will occupy ALL the available system allocated space. This prevents any of the GAPP zips to be installed through TWRP. But turns out MIUI already has GAPPS functionality built in, so all you need is to download a play store app and install the rest from there.
System is supposed to be unreachable, that's why Magisk has been "system-less" for a while. The linked SafetyNet fix (https://xdaforums.com/t/miui-13-0-7-rooting-xiaomi-12s-ultra-via-magisk.4476901/) is apparently very old and didn't work on my current Magisk.

Anyway, no more issues currently, other than currently unknown status if my device can pass safetynet out of the box.
Thanks for mentioning that. That link worked for 13.0.5 and Magisk canary, but I didn't know it was outdated and haven't tested for 13.0.7. I updated the links :)
Good luck with your device!